Food Silos

sezze

Hi ,

I'm working on some projects to do some farming near Udon area . Anything is still open , but chickens and ducks are the things i'm looking at now . Most things i can find here and/or check with local Thais . Something i cannot find a lot about are food silos / containers / bunkers .

After a rough check of things , i think animal food is about the best and cheapest for delivery in about 10ton food silos ? Is that about correct or are smaller ones also worth the effort ? Another thing is , do they have to be from a company like the fancy watertanks or can you just put some concrete rings ( as used for local septic tanks ) together to form some sort of holding tank ?

thx

Try a PM to members who are into chicken farming. IMHO concrete rings would not be appropriate for bulk storage as air circulation and mould issues will be a problem. Big Dutchman in Thailand supply all that stuff I believe, at a price no doubt, try their website for information. Most areas have a variety of sheetmetal workshops you will need to spend some shoe leather to find one near you.

As for delivery of bulk materials, it will be a balance between usage rate and storage length, against minimum order quantities. So work out how much feed you will use over the length of time it can be stored. For example, I use less than 2 ton of pig feed a month, at a maximum it can be stored of 3 months from production. Since distribution and dealer storage could use up to a month of that, my safe minimum order quantity would be under 4 ton. I buy weekly in bags carefully noting the use by dates.

There have been many posts about the quality of both bulk feed components and feed, again in IMHO, be wary of buying a large quantity of feed of unknown quality. It may well contain a high proportion of "sweepings". Feed costs will be your largest expense, it is definitely a topic you need to concentrate on during your planning.

Isaanaussie

Try a PM to members who are into chicken farming. IMHO concrete rings would not be appropriate for bulk storage as air circulation and mould issues will be a problem. Big Dutchman in Thailand supply all that stuff I believe, at a price no doubt, try their website for information. Most areas have a variety of sheetmetal workshops you will need to spend some shoe leather to find one near you.

As for delivery of bulk materials, it will be a balance between usage rate and storage length, against minimum order quantities. So work out how much feed you will use over the length of time it can be stored. For example, I use less than 2 ton of pig feed a month, at a maximum it can be stored of 3 months from production. Since distribution and dealer storage could use up to a month of that, my safe minimum order quantity would be under 4 ton. I buy weekly in bags carefully noting the use by dates.

There have been many posts about the quality of both bulk feed components and feed, again in IMHO, be wary of buying a large quantity of feed of unknown quality. It may well contain a high proportion of "sweepings". Feed costs will be your largest expense, it is definitely a topic you need to concentrate on during your planning.

Isaanaussie

Ok , thx . Good link from BD you gave me . I will contact them for sure . I surely know local sheetmetal workshops ( that i didn't think about it myself :ermm:) , so i will contact them also. I didn''t know about the pretty short storage strenth so i will look this thing very close . The food price being the nr1 expense , well i knew that allready ... ( hoping to cut it working with ducks and friendly rice farmers :rolleyes:}.