House Broken Into While Sleeping Police Say Sleeping Gas?

nuksoo1980

Did you feel groggy or drugged when you woke up? If not then I don't think you were drugged as suggested by the BIB's.

no felt normal when i woke up the only odd part was my girlfriend is a light sleeper wakes up and then proceeds to wake me up at the slightest sound even a empty water bottle falling over . and when i got out of bed and opened the door she did not move and on saturday she is usually up early talking to her mom on skype

As The british police say "when you have a murder start in the loft" maybe worth a serious think about your girlfriends behavior

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Air Conditioning units recycle the air in the room they do not draw air from outside.

So its not possible, they would have to be in the room with you wearing gas masks

although I doubt it was gas, I do notice on my air cond. one control for air movement has setting for fresh air ( from outside)

While thinking slightly more about this there is a compressed gas that is cheap and could be used. Starting fluid. Starting fluid is a mixture of volatile hydrocarbons (heptane, butane or propane), diethyl ether, and carbon dioxide(as a propellant). It is often useful when starting direct injected diesel engines. It contains ether...

buying nitrous oxide from a welding shop is pretty easy

Really? In what country? I see most welding done here by arc or propane and oxygen. I can't say I have ever seen acetylene here... Why would a welding shop have nitrous oxide in the first place? It's not used for welding. I've had it at the dentist though. I'd go buy a bottle if you tell me were...biggrin.gif

Nitrous oxide, commonly known as laughing gas, is a chemical compound with the formula N2O. It is an oxide of nitrogen. At room temperature, it is a colorless non-flammable gas, with a slightly sweet odor and taste. It is used insurgery and dentistry for its anesthetic and analgesic effects.

Simple truth is the thieves are professional and very good at sneaking into places with out being heard, they have lots of time to watch your routines and

find your weak points and their oppurtunities.

Very true, there are hundreds of eyes around watching you, they haven't got anything better to do in their miserable lifes and they are not looking for a way to improve their status in an honest way, but always waiting for an opportunity to take advantage of the situation and start stealing what they can, in fact, where i live here in the sticks, people always know everything about everyones around, even the smallest unimportant particular, they know about it, then, when something disappear from the farang house, suddenly no ones know or have seen anything, these crimes also all occurred during the normal daylights hours between the late morning and the early afternoon........you got to love them

Really? In what country? I see most welding done here by arc or propane and oxygen. I can't say I have ever seen acetylene here... Why would a welding shop have nitrous oxide in the first place? It's not used for welding. I've had it at the dentist though. I'd go buy a bottle if you tell me were...biggrin.gif

Nitrous oxide, commonly known as laughing gas, is a chemical compound with the formula N2O. It is an oxide of nitrogen. At room temperature, it is a colorless non-flammable gas, with a slightly sweet odor and taste. It is used insurgery and dentistry for its anesthetic and analgesic effects.

KAMOL VORAKIT CO LTDID:8905สถานที่:Thailand แ่บ่งเป็นประเภท:Manufacturer, ประเภทเฉพาะ : Mining ที่อยู่:Pomprab Bangkok 10100ติดต่อ:Phone:(02)233 2296,223 0685,224 4140Fax:(662) 2261251Email:n/aURL:n/aทุนจดทะเบียน:9,000,000พนักงาน:30เวลาทำงาน:Mon-Fri 0800-1700 hr

Abdulrahim Place, 22nd Floor

Bangrak

Bangkok

Thailand

Abdulrahim Place, 22nd Floor

Bangrak

Bangkok

Thailand

Since this is the Phuket Forum, I'm sure the thieves are going to the 22nd floor of a building in BKK that has nitrous oxide for sale. smile.gif The company you mention is a gas manufacturing company, not a welding shop in Phuket.

Since this is the Phuket Forum, I'm sure the thieves are going to the 22nd floor of a building in BKK that has nitrous oxide for sale. smile.gif The company you mention is a gas manufacturing company, not a welding shop in Phuket.

sorry mate, I was just showing that the stuff is easy to find

no felt normal when i woke up the only odd part was my girlfriend is a light sleeper wakes up and then proceeds to wake me up at the slightest sound even a empty water bottle falling over . and when i got out of bed and opened the door she did not move and on saturday she is usually up early talking to her mom on skype

I am quoting your own words "the only odd part was my girlfriend..." etc, etc...

Forget about all the bulls gas theories and stick to the old saying: Cherchez La Femme

I am quoting your own words "the only odd part was my girlfriend..." etc, etc...

Forget about all the bulls gas theories and stick to the old saying: Cherchez La Femme

my girlfriend is american she came out here with me

When I lived in the UK I used to attend several music festivals in the summer. One festival had a history of people stealing things from peoples tent's at night.

The thieves were creeping into peoples tents and stealing things, in some cases from INSIDE peoples sleeping bags and the occupants did not wake up. I know this is perhaps hard to believe but I have personal experience of it (that doesn't mean I was the thief!).

I know some of you will be thinking that it is easy for a burglar to be quiet in a tent, but it is all relative. In a field in the middle of the night it is extremely quiet and the sound of a tent zip can be enough to wake someone (that's what woke me). The police used to post notices about this problem.

My point?

I think we over-estimate our ability to wake when something like this is going on near to us whilst we sleep.

The use of gas is possible, but extremely unlikely.

Sorry for your loss though.

Reading this subject the Moscow theatre hostage crisis in October 2002 comes to my mind. The Russian forces ended the siege by pumping an unknown chemical agent in the buildings ventilation system.

So fact is, there is some sort of gas that can knock you out in short time. But as the end of this hostage crisis showed, a. it is still not known which gas it was (Fentanyl?) - much to sophisticated for local burglars - and b. it killed many of the hostages. So much too dangerous even for the burglars.

'Knock-out' gases have been in use by NATO counter-terrorist forces for decades, either in the form of a grenade (gas cannister) or in compressed gas form (from a charged bottle). Obtaining the more sophisticated (more effective and harmless) gases, however, can be extremely difficult. But they certainly do exist.

ph34r.gif

It seems that whether or not some kind of sleeping gas can be introduced via the A/C is not the important issue. The fact that so many people live in homes that can be easily entered while they are asleep is difficult to believe. There are so many deterrents and preventions available that this should not be possible so even if you are gassed in your sleep, no one should be able to get in.

• 7 months later...

Yet another silly Thai myth a la 'they put something in my water and made me draw out all the money from my bank account' AND 'This Indian man just touched my arm and I gave him 500 baht:blink:

I had someone enter the room of a friend of mine whilst sleeping, and I don't have aircon. Thai burglars very light on their feet, same 'cat burglars' in the West. They prefer to enter occupied houses whilst people sleeping as they know they'll have all their jewelry, 'phones, laptops etc with them in the house.

the same thing happened to me around the time stories were in the pattaya press (over 3 years ago) about a buglar that would just come into a house when the people were sleeping and would even take the phone, wallet, money next to them on the bed.

It happened to me....400 usd in THB at the exchange rate back then, money from my gf's purse. He literally went thru my wallet, left it and all my credit cards, etc. on the bed. He went thru my gym bag next to the bed too, and only took the cell phones....lucky I didn't have my camera there but in my rollercase which I hadn't unpacked yet.

I think the guy just quietly checked house doors (ours was accidentally left with the key on the outside of the front door), so we were easy pickings.

It ain't a myth, it happened and happens.

I still can't figure out how we slept thru the whole thing, but if he made no noise, then unless we just happened to both naturally wake up in the short time he was in the bedroom, it is rational that the only special skill the guy had were nerves of steel and the ability to be really quiet.

I would think that putting some sleeping gas via the a/c drainage pipe is feasible. Also very few houses are hermetically sealed so there might be other holes/ways to pump the gas in.

A/C drainage pipe would be good as the inside end is just below the airflow. Therefore the gas would get to the room (or where people are sleeping) easily.

To obtain pressure is not a big thing. It can be done with normal gardening equipment. Just buy one of the plastic pressure sprays where you pump air manually. Or then again, buy some dry ice and mix with water.

At this point it might be good idea to remember what did happen in Phi-Phi islands and Chiang Mai hotel some time ago. Were those deaths just 'food poisoning' or could there be a link between the robberies and deaths? OP said that they took only money and some other items, leaving plenty behind.

Yes, and Phi Phi and Chiang Mai robbers probably killed JFK as well.

I would think that putting some sleeping gas via the a/c drainage pipe is feasible. Also very few houses are hermetically sealed so there might be other holes/ways to pump the gas in.

A/C drainage pipe would be good as the inside end is just below the airflow. Therefore the gas would get to the room (or where people are sleeping) easily.

To obtain pressure is not a big thing. It can be done with normal gardening equipment. Just buy one of the plastic pressure sprays where you pump air manually. Or then again, buy some dry ice and mix with water.

At this point it might be good idea to remember what did happen in Phi-Phi islands and Chiang Mai hotel some time ago. Were those deaths just 'food poisoning' or could there be a link between the robberies and deaths? OP said that they took only money and some other items, leaving plenty behind.

Exciting scenario, burglar gas sleeping occupants, enter the room after they have inhaled, and what? Wears a gas mask?

Burglars in LOS are simple. They avoid Rottweilers, steelbars, house owners known to have guns, cameras, flood lights, and certanly are not equipped to gas through AC drains, which very few would be able to find anyway :rolleyes:

Most arrive by foot with a screwdriver in hand, and leave on a bike just found B)

The gas thing is an old rumour I knew long before this thread started. When I was still living in Holland, also a cat burglar entered my room without me waking up, probably I'd had a few beers the evening before so he wouldn't have needed any gas anyway.

Exciting scenario, burglar gas sleeping occupants, enter the room after they have inhaled, and what? Wears a gas mask?

Burglars in LOS are simple. They avoid Rottweilers, steelbars, house owners known to have guns, cameras, flood lights, and certanly are not equipped to gas through AC drains, which very few would be able to find anyway :rolleyes:

Most arrive by foot with a screwdriver in hand, and leave on a bike just found B)

in my area, there's been 17 robberies since i moved in. Lot's of big house and medium houses. All of those robbed were at the worse possible areas. Mine is directly where stealing would be the easiest, no one would see them.. but oops steel bars everywhere. my windows downstairs are not even closed, just steelbars on main door at night and all windows. My landlord put pretty s hitty one on top of that.

How hard is it for other people to do this?

If you build your own house, you can prob add a very loud alarm system to your loan for quite cheap. You don't need anything fancy, just noise.

in my area, there's been 17 robberies since i moved in. Lot's of big house and medium houses. All of those robbed were at the worse possible areas. Mine is directly where stealing would be the easiest, no one would see them.. but oops steel bars everywhere. my windows downstairs are not even closed, just steelbars on main door at night and all windows. My landlord put pretty s hitty one on top of that.

How hard is it for other people to do this?

If you build your own house, you can prob add a very loud alarm system to your loan for quite cheap. You don't need anything fancy, just noise.

We have a large gravel drive, a few dogs, lots of lights and cctv. So far, so good.

Yes, and Phi Phi and Chiang Mai robbers probably killed JFK as well.

My money would be on the Phi Phi and Chiang Mai robbers killing JFK over LHO as the lone guman ;-)

We have a large gravel drive, a few dogs, lots of lights and cctv. So far, so good.

Not necessary - a couple of adopted soi dogs will put off any would be burglar - as long as your house is obviously not in the millionaire range, which would attract a professional, rather than the opportunist.

Most burglaries are by opportunists looking for an easy job, if they think they might be attacked by dogs in the house - they'll go elsewhere.

I have heard instances of the bars being easily removed. What are the methods?

I did fill up the phillips crosses on the screws so it would be pretty hard to unscrew them.

I sleep with some windows open where there is a light. I also live up high so you have to come up some outside stairs and open a noise gate.

I even adopted a soi dog but she moved in with the pitbull next door so I think I will try another one. Problem is my cat was very abusive towards her.

So what are methods to remove bars? Will a bolt cutter cut through the metal?

Unfortunately not new; burglaries with this MO have been happening occasionally in the Kata/Chalong/Nai Harn/Rawai areas to my knowledge since 2002.

Always cash, small valuable items, watches, camera, etc missing; occupants always sleep through the whole burglary - I am certain it's the same team every time.

I have heard of at least three cases, one involved a friend of mine who also had a large dog in the house at the time which did not wake up or bark; so it must have been some kind of disabling gas.

no it is true. A housing estate got broken into all houses go done. the only once that did not were the ones with alarms. one of the houses had to pit bull and did not wake up though putting a dog to sleep might be easier with a pill in some fresh meat. as for the air con.

i have her that they spray something under the door that knocks them out. mean while once they are in the house one of the burglers holds a gun over the head of the sleepers while the others make way for the rest of the house to be cleared and sometimes they make more than one trip and they also can do up to 5 houses in one night

one thing is for sure. they either do the ssame houses again and again. or they watch the houses to see wht patterns the tenants have. Islolated houses are moree at risk

if u have the money to buy some land and build a house then it would not cost too much to put a proper good looking wall round the house aand have it alarmed. as for cctv they don't really do much. though if u have them then put them on the walls of your house and at the front gat as the only way in is either ovger the wall or through the front gate.

Also the hinges on the doorss and windows need to be good quality. i had someone brake into a house that i was renting and i sort of knew it was going to happen.

the windows were made of just aluminum. A screw driver could have prized that open.

the house backed out onto a jungle had no fence round it ant the magoirty of the house was glass.

the thing that pissed me off that i was looking after the house for someone else but that was not their fault.

anyway when they came back they fixed up the house how i recomended. not with the cctv mut with securing the windows and builfing a wall round it and they have been fine since. 3 years later ;)

I have heard instances of the bars being easily removed. What are the methods?

I did fill up the phillips crosses on the screws so it would be pretty hard to unscrew them.

I sleep with some windows open where there is a light. I also live up high so you have to come up some outside stairs and open a noise gate.

I even adopted a soi dog but she moved in with the pitbull next door so I think I will try another one. Problem is my cat was very abusive towards her.

So what are methods to remove bars? Will a bolt cutter cut through the metal?

Sitting here looking at the metal work on my office window it is of a decorative style made from 10mm X 3mm flat bar, this is easily cut with a smallish pair of bolt cutters as this is exactly how I cut the same material at work.

Failing that a small prybar under the fixation points will effortlessly pop the dynabolts from the rendered brick wall.

Edited by Spoonman

How about a simple "Here honey I made you a drink" in comes cousins or her Thai BF. When you wake up, she probably bit her lip trying to tell tell the story about the Mission Impossible Team entering the house and not laugh.

Burglars love high walls. Once over, nobody can see them.

u don't need a super high wall just enough to show that they should not be over the wall about head hight. They way u know they have crossed the line and cannot pass it off as an accident.

another way that i have herd that people have been burgled is when they bring a strange lady back. coincidentually a few days later the house gets robbed. U might want to check your windows are not popped from the inside.

seen this happen many times.