Sent Letter To Thailand

westybrook

Just wondering how long it takes for a letter to get to Thailand, if at all :o

Im from the UK, and I want the letter to be going to Udon.

Has many sent letters before and had a good experience with them getting there?

We generally reckon 3 or 4 days to Bangkok, 4 or 5 days to a village in Chiangmai. We use normal post for anything that doesn't look worth stealing. I write the addressee's name and house number to city/province in Thai, and city/province and country in English. We always use the zip code.

Do you send this from the UK.  Im sending my wife an ATM card, it will have no money on it till I know it has arrived but I want to make sure it does.  But you would say about 5 days in total right?

Make sure, that one cannot feel the contents being a card.

Do you send this from the UK.  Im sending my wife an ATM card, it will have no money on it till I know it has arrived but I want to make sure it does.  But you would say about 5 days in total right?

5 to 10 from Aus but anything bulky (ATM Card) 2 years and still waiting. Good luck and try to disquise the item eg pack it into a couple of greeting cards, try to address it in both Thai and English if it has to leave Udon for the districts.

I would send registered mail. Time from US for mine last month was over two weeks. Registry slows it down but had always arrived for me.

As others have pointed out is can be very useful to provide address in Thai, especially upcountry.

Sometimes one is lucky not to lose mail.

Bear in mind, most of the card companies do not send new cards by mail to Thailand.

Some personal experience. AMEX (in Europe) instucted their BKK-office to cut out the card and hand deliver.

Diner's from Hong Kong sends by mail, but one has to activate by phoning a number in Hong Kong. If not done within a reeasonable time, the card is cancelled.

Visa/Master through a bank in Hong Kong: Suggested I should poick up from their local branch office. Confirmed in writing that I will do so and got a phone call from their Hong Kong office, to make sure it was me who mailed the confirmation.

Seems all the card companies had some kind of bad experience with LOS.

Myself got a spare key(card) mailed from Europe. The envelope arrived on time, but empty.

They reckon up tp 10 days.

Letter posted to my wife from UK to BKK

(Info update for visa,CD of wedding photographs)

A4 size. Address in English & Thai. 5 days

Standard mail, 1st class

Advised by post office 5 to 10 days.

Previously as above addressed in English only, never arrived :o

Regards

Ivan

:D

Think the best one I can remember sending was posted in Enfield Town (N. London )on a Saturday lunchtime and arrived at wifes house in Sam Prat on the Monday morning.

Can only assume that it must have gone on the evening T.G.Lon>bangers flight that night (pretty quick).

Also everything we send is written in Thai so would imagine makes it easier.

Even packages to friends in C.M and Trat tend not to take more than about 5 days (with odd exception)

Touch wood have never lost anything. :o

Normally about 4 to 5 days to Bangkok - Udon being up/out in the sticks so as to speak ' send to me put some money in I can test run it once or twice - if works ok can arrange for it to be delivered to udon where before its delivered to the little lady if more money is deposited further testing (power supply in udon often fails or is that the water never mind)all working can hand deliver or the young lady can come into town and meet in a public place McDonalds.

Always glad to help out an English Gentlemen.

Good advice Rinrada. I always put both English and Thai on and haven't had anything go missing yet. I got my Mrs to write her address in Thai on about 50 of those sticky labels.

Westybrook, why don't you see if one of those luverley people in the Language forum, will do you a translation which you can print off :o

Mr BoJ

Good advice Rinrada. I always put both English and Thai on and haven't had anything go missing yet. I got my Mrs to write her address in Thai on about 50 of those sticky labels.

Westybrook, why don't you see if one of those luverley people in the Language forum, will do you a translation which you can print off :o

Mr BoJ

Even a better idea is to pop in and have a rubber stamp made it will aslo come in handy whenever you need to do things re licence, internet etc - you can see the eyes light up behind the counter - as you are making it easier for them especially the spelling of your name etc.

i have had one now for about 7 years and its paid for itself 10 fold.

Edited by sonong1

Can people who have sent a letter before just do a mock letter now I.E

Name

Adreess 1

Address 2

City

Province

Country

Which would you do in Thai and which in English, cause I guess both countrys need to understand where its going. If I do it all in Thai then the UK postal wont know where to send it, and visa versa

Name Thai

Adreess 1 Thai

Address 2 Thai

City Thai

Province Thai

Country English

You only need to write the COUNTRY in English as all mail for overseas will be sorted by country first...once it gets to Thailand the fact the address is in Thai will not be a problem :o

If it's important like a credit card get it sent international recorded.

Name

Adreess 1

Address 2

City

Province

Country

Which would you do in Thai and which in English, cause I guess both countrys need to understand where its going.  If I do it all in Thai then the UK postal wont know where to send it, and visa versa

Postman in Bangkok can read english and bring your mail to the right place. But in Udorn, I am sure they would prefer to read in Thai. Letter from Europe needed 4-5 days to Bangkok, to Udorn might need 1-2 days more, depending on the exactly address on the envelope. Putting ATM card in your mail without knowing the right address, it's a RISK. I wouldn't do that even sending to Bangkok. :o

Postal code would be good to have...but it's not so important as it is in the UK

postal codes in Thailand cover a much larger area.

As for software to Translate English into Thai... there are some sites on the net...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...&hl=translation

My guess is that they don't work very well at all though. :o

I'm sure if you posted what you wanted translated,in the Thai langue section

someone would help you out...with much better results than a machine could manage.

Name

Adreess 1

Address 2

City

Province

Country

Which would you do in Thai and which in English, cause I guess both countrys need to understand where its going.  If I do it all in Thai then the UK postal wont know where to send it, and visa versa

Postman in Bangkok can read english and bring your mail to the right place. But in Udorn, I am sure they would prefer to read in Thai. Letter from Europe needed 4-5 days to Bangkok, to Udorn might need 1-2 days more, depending on the exactly address on the envelope. Putting ATM card in your mail without knowing the right address, it's a RISK. I wouldn't do that even sending to Bangkok. :D

Try this site

http://www.thai-language.com/dict/

I am still willing to test the card no charge only what you deposit and it will be well

spent guanteed

:o

>>> Im sending my wife an ATM card,

Westy, is this just an ATM or is it a debit/check card?

If someone smells any card it will be stolen, if its a check card they

can run it up.

nam

Edited by Nam Kao

You know what I don't know as the card hasnt arrived yet at my adress, but when I send it, It will have a balance of 0.00p until my wife confirms she has recieved it.

How are you going about sending it, what will you wrap it up in?

You know what I don't know as the card hasnt arrived yet at my adress, but when I send it, It will have a balance of 0.00p until my wife confirms she has recieved it.

How are you going about sending it, what will you wrap it up in?

Westy... I have recieved two letters in the past sent from UK..

It took 4 days in both instances, they were sent by airmail..

the best way to send an ATM card IMHO is with a birthday card or something that is already rigid..

totster :o

My parents send me loads of stuff, including CDs and my credit cards.

ALWAYS in Jiffy bags, ALWAYS with the address in Thai. I sent a .jpeg of our address as written by my wife, Dad prints labels for our mail.

It took a couple of attempts to persuade the lady in the post office that an address consisting of three lines of heiroglyphics with the word 'Thailand' at the bottom would ever arrive anywhere.

Usually, 4-9 days airmail from the UK, never lost anything (quick, looking for some wood to touch).

Interestingly the 'naughty' postcard they sent from Southport (with the address in English) took 2 days, go figure.

................and haven't had anything go missing yet.

Mr BoJ

I send lots of Hair Styling magazines to my wife, and in a year I have had no trouble. Why don't you place the card in an envelope and selotape it inside a magazine ?

Incidentally if I send it to the salon in Bangkok it averages 3 to 5 days. If I send it to the apartment in Samud Prakan it takes about 14 days.

BUt I always write the address on both sides, very legibly, with the senders address in the corner (so it can get back to me if necessary) and what the contents is (e g "hairstyling magazines). Seems the Thai post is better then the English to me