How To Adress Thais

evanson

I've always had a bit of a problem when trying to attract the attention of a Thai who appears to be similar in age. I know 'nong' for younger, 'noo' for kids; 'loong' or 'pee' for older man and ba (have to be careful with the tone for that one:lol:). I've found 'pee nong' (garnered from Thai rallies) seems to get a generally favourable response. Is this correct?

• 2 weeks later...

"pee nong" is not correct when you address 1 person. It's used when talking to a group (when you feel close to the group).

Yes I already get that, hence my remark about garnering it from the 'rallies'. However never been met with an unfavourable response/sneer. Maybe I've been addressing those suffering from multi personality disorder all this time :lol:

Never mind. Thanks anyway.

:mfr_closed1:

Edited by evanson

When in doubt, say, "คุณครับ" or "คุณคะ". See

You mean You (for a man) or, er, You (for a woman)? So that's where they get the annoying 'you, you, you' from then.

No, the ครับ and คะ is whether the speaker is a man or a woman, respectively. The คุณ represents the person you are speaking to and the gender is neutral.

When in doubt, say, "คุณครับ" or "คุณคะ". See

You mean You (for a man) or, er, You (for a woman)? So that's where they get the annoying 'you, you, you' from then.

No, the ครับ and คะ is whether the speaker is a man or a woman, respectively. The คุณ represents the person you are speaking to and the gender is neutral.

I always just say kor toot krab . excuse me , if i dont know wheather to say pee or nong.

คุณครับ

ขอโทษครับ / ขอโทษนะครับ

สวัสดีครับ

เลือกเอาวลีไหนก็ได้ ตรง "สวัสดีครับ" นั้นไม่ต้องยกมือไหว้ ให้พูดเฉยๆ