Air Conditioner Questions

theusedversion

Alright guys and gals, you've been a huge help to me thus far and I have another question for you. I've been in Bangkok a little over a month and in my new place since the 16th. I've yet to get my electric bill and am kind of worried about it since I have to leave it on while I sleep. So around 8 hours a day at 28 degrees. Any idea what kind of bill I will be looking at? I will be getting my bill directly from the power company so I'm not sure on the unit rate for my electricity usage. Also, how many units per hour does my a/c use? I've included a picture from the side of the unit.

epnyt.jpg

Not knowing what other appliances you have running, I'm going to venture a guess of about 1500 baht. We're running 2 plasma TVs most every day, 2 fridges, 2 fans and 1 air con in the bedroom at night and the highest my bill has been was just over 2100 baht.

Not knowing what other appliances you have running, I'm going to venture a guess of about 1500 baht. We're running 2 plasma TVs most every day, 2 fridges, 2 fans and 1 air con in the bedroom at night and the highest my bill has been was just over 2100 baht.

You just made my night. I was expecting over 3000. I only have a small fridge, laptop, and a fan running. I live in a small 30sqm studio. Wow, what a relief. Thanks for the quick reply.

One more question for those reading.

Since I didn't get my bill at the first of the month like everyone else in the complex will I be getting a bill for 1.5 months at the beginning of October?

You just made my night. I was expecting over 3000. I only have a small fridge, laptop, and a fan running. I live in a small 30sqm studio. Wow, what a relief. Thanks for the quick reply.

If you're getting it directly from the power company it will be under, if not over

Edited by DP25

My supplier charges around 5 baht per Kilowatt Hour (1 KWH is a unit)

A KWH is what 1000 watts per hour equates to.

I see your aircon uses 1660 Watts, which means it uses 1.66 kilowatts of electricity per hour (running constantly) or 1.66 units.

1.66 x 6 baht = 9.96 baht per hour.... But don't panic, an aircon unit only run constantly until it gets to the set temperature then the thermostat knocks it off, until the temperature rises and it cuts back in. So unless it is a really hot hot day and you have it set to 18C or something, then you can expect it to be off for half the time... so maybe it consumes only 5 baht an hour x 8 hours a night = 40 baht x 30 days = 1200 baht per month.

Having said that, the insulation factors in your property can have a swaying effect on how long the unit runs for each hour.

Your unit is actually very powerful compared to mine which is quite modern and only consumes 750 watts per hour.. your unit is more than double the power of mine, so it maybe quite an old one or just one that was design to be used for a larger zone.

If you are staying put for quite some time, my advice would be to ask your landlord if it is ok to sell the old one and replace it with a nice new modern one with a remote control unit. I can't see them disagreeing, as you are upgrading it for them, and you can maybe get 5000 for the old one and put it towards a nice LG unit same as mine for around 18,000 and cut your bill in half... The saving will offset the cost in around a year.

I don't run my air con every night, just when it's hot and humid. It's cool tonight, so just a fan and open windows that are screened and have bars. I have a Panasonic air con I bought about 2.5 years ago. I'm not sure of it's power consumption, it doesn't say on the internal unit and I'm not going outside with a flashlight to look now. But I think it a higher BTU than yours. I have two refrigerators, two TV's, a washing machine, 4 ceiling fans and other fans, a microwave, blender, wifi internet, two monitors and everything else. The most my bill has ever been was about 1,800 Baht. Last month it was 1171.40 Baht including the 7% VAT. I get the bill directly though. As others have said if you get billed by your landlord they may jack up the price. I get billed on about the 22nd of each month. I used 324 KWH last month, so my bill excluding tax was 1095÷ 324= 3.38 Baht per KWH. My bill used to be about 700 Baht before I got the air con, the second refrigerator and washer. The rates were probably less four and a half years ago though... Good luck!

If you live in issan and you only use a little bit of electric and you are below a certain level then your electric is free rolleyes.gif

that is Thailand wide rate for minimal elecricity use , poor people live all over the country you know, not just where the loadest shouts originate

• Like 1

The average rate per kwh for electricity use is about 3.35 baht per unit including fuel surcharges and tax if you use about 100 units a month. That rate jumps to about 4.3 baht per unit if you use in the area of 300 units per month. They charge you more as you use more. Now you know why the typical Thai tries to use as little power as possible. Of course this is based on paying direct to the MEA or PEA. If you pay the condo or apartment or house owner the rates could be as high as 7 or 8 baht per unit because they can charge whatever they feel they can get.

Suggest you look to see where the meter is for you're room and check it out and jot down the meter readings every day for a week at the same time of day and you will get a handle on how many units you are using and approximate cost. This is not rocket science and can easily be calculated.

Buy a fan,a lot cheaper and if your A/C an old unit a lot quieter.I live in a condo and my electric bills average 650 baht per month.

I lived in a house without aircon for 1,5 years then i moved to this house (same village) and we got aircon. It really made me sleep a lot better. For the extra 1500 baht or so you wont hear me complain. However each person is different some can live with a fan others not.

If you're getting it directly from the power company it will be under, if not over

this makes absolutely no sense.

this makes absolutely no sense.

Usually electricity bills are inflated they just charge an idiotic price per unit if you pay the landlady. If you pay the electricity company you get the normal price.

If you live in issan and you only use a little bit of electric and you are below a certain level then your electric is free rolleyes.gif

that is Thailand wide rate for minimal elecricity use , poor people live all over the country you know, not just where the loadest shouts originate

This poor Farang has had zero bills for the last 3 months.

As I am not poor, I prefer to think of it as a reward, for some conservation efforts on my part.

Not difficult really, just switch off things when thay are not needed. That includes aircon --- fans work for me.

The threshold rate appears to be about 450 Bt per month i.e. 90 units at 5 Bt per unit. Above I pay, and below the bill is zero.

I may have an interesting adage for anyone interested.

Has anyone heard of the Dyson Air Multiplier?

11621910672.jpg

It (I believe) only uses 50 Watts.

It is cooler than a conventional fan.

Has no blades, so there is no air buffeting, which is the major annoyance factor while trying to sleep with a fan. The technology creates a really smooth airflow.

My friend has one, and I have one on the way.

They are about $300 USD to buy, i think you can get them cheaper as always on the net.

But you can get the Chinese copy, (which is the real thing without the Dyson branding, and is unlicensed). For around $120. At that rate if you replaced your aircon for this for 8 hours a night, you should save around 1000 Baht per month and you may even fall into the free electricity bracket which means it pays for itself in just a few months,.

Edited by zerod1

i'm guessing roughly under 1000 baht. i live in one of those thai housing rows as well. although i have an ancient aircon that uses electricity like crazy, i know from friends who have newer units that they use it maybe 15 hours a day every day and it's around 900 baht or so. with computer and fridge as well.

Thanks for all the replies. My bill comes directly from the power company so no inflated rates here. I'm guessing that the reason I didn't get a bill this month is because I was under the threshold. I didn't even think about that.

To those saying to get a fan, I've tried sleeping with only a fan. I just cannot do it. It's too uncomfortable. If I could, I would but unfortunately I cannot.