Money Truck Robbers Escape With Bt16m In Bangkok

webfact

Bandits beat TMB guard, escape with Bt16 million

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_13598.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A TMB money truck was robbed yesterday near Seacon Square mall in eastern Bangkok, by three men who made off with Bt16 million.

Bangkok police chief Pol LtGeneral Santhan Chayanont said yesterday's heist was conducted in a manner similar to the recent robbery of a money truck belonging to bakery firm Farmhouse.

Thanachote Mangprakhone, 40, the driver of the truck, sustained serious injuries after he was pistolwhipped repeatedly during the crime. He was guarding the truck alone while two crew members were unloading money at a TMB branch in Seacon Square mall off Srinagarindra Road.

He said one robber forced him into the truck at gunpoint, before pistol whipping him, while another man got into the truck, forced him to the vehicle's floor with his foot and threatened to shoot if he resisted, before both men drove the truck out of the mall.

The two men stopped the truck in nearby Soi Srinagarindra 57 and started unloading the money onto a gold bronze Toyota Vigo pickup driven by a third accomplice. One robber then beat him to unconsciousness, he said. Thanachote said he later called for help from a house nearby.

Prawet police said they were interviewing two unidentified crew members to determine whether they were part of the heist while Thanachote would be interviewed after he recovered from his injuries.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-10

Pretty secure armored cars they use in Thailand (giggle, giggle).

Yesterday I was at a Makro getting some money from an outside ATM. Right next to me was a small money truck (company XYZ/can't remember the name) with two individuals filling up the ATM next to me. I thought to myself that the money truck, which did look a little more secure and professional than the truck in this picture, would still be an easy hit. And the way the two individuals were filling up the ATM, it was like they were paying little attention to things going on around them...and I did not see any obvious indications of carrying a weapon...maybe they were, I just couldn't see any....they could have easily been overpowered in the way they were ignoring their surrounding environment (i.e., maybe bad guys sneaking up on them).

A few more news stories on the robbery of ATMs and/or ATM money trucks (we've seen quite a few lately) and these types of robberies couldn't greatly increase. Hey, maybe the banks will just raise their ATM fees to pay for the robberies.

....while two crew members were unloading money at a TMB branch in Seacon Square mall off Srinagarindra Road.

All the activity happened while the two other crew members were doing things - apparently out of touch and out of earshot of the commotion at the armored truck. Sounds fishy to me - that neither of the two other workers noticed or suspected anything while the crime was being perpetrated. Smells like an inside job.

half a million USD equivalent guarded by one man who has not locked his truck with himself inside whilst he waits for his colleagues?

the place to start this investigation is with the man in hospital. it wouldnt be the first time someone accepts physical injury in exchange for money.

Security may not be paramount in Thailand and the poor excuse for armoured vehicles are pathetic. But like the West - it will only be a matter of time before guards have (heaven forbid) two way radios, are themselves armed and have vehicles without outside release door handles. But glass windows on a pickup with a fibreglass back does in no way constitute security!

As to how it went down there is every chance the guard's involved but let's not assume that until all is investigated.

This is getting to be an everyday occurrence.

I was at the bank the other day and many Thai were depositing huge sums of money. The clerk just put it in an unlocked drawer. Too easy.

new thai biathlon.........rob the money truck,,, an push a farang out a window......SHIT someone seems to thought of it before me......

This is getting to be an everyday occurrence.

I was at the bank the other day and many Thai were depositing huge sums of money. The clerk just put it in an unlocked drawer. Too easy.

new thai biathlon.........rob the money truck,,, an push a farang out a window......SHIT someone seems to thought of it before me......

It seems to me that the Thai police should also expect an increase in this type of crime when the forigners of dubious backgrounds from the western world see how easy it is to carry out these types of heist. I am surprised it has taken so long for the criminal elements to catch on. Watch this space for many more, the idea of a Thai security truck is really quite a joke. As someone else said a fibreglass body on the back of what is probably an unaltered pick up truck. The wake up call my friends.

the idea of a Thai security truck is really quite a joke. As someone else said a fibreglass body on the back of what is probably an unaltered pick up truck. The wake up call my friends.

Don't believe everything you see or hear.

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

I have designed trucks such as this and they still do not represent much difficulty to the professional thief. It will not be long before there are many more problems involving armoured trucks.

I have designed trucks such as this and they still do not represent much difficulty to the professional thief. It will not be long before there are many more problems involving armoured trucks.

They do if they are used correctly, unfortunately insider thieves can be hard to counter with this type of basic C.I.T vehicle, who did you build cash cars for ??

Fortunately most C.I.T companies in Thailand see the issues they have with their current fleets (most vehicles are not amoured) and are now stepping them up to properly armoured vehicles with decent security measures being implemented for the vaults.

I would be more than happy to advise all the Thai banks regarding safe transit of cash - for a consideration. Before retiring I was the rear gunner of a Heiniken delivery truck in Liverpool.

Full Respect! It's the sort of job I wouldn't mind doing in somewhere relatively safe such as Johannesburg, but not in the city of thieving scallies. wow! :ph34r: