Thai Govt Urges Public Not To Panic Over Red Shirt Protests On 19 Sep

webfact

Govt urges public not to worry over the upcoming UDD protests on 19 Sept

BANGKOK (NNT ) -- Deputy Prime Minister of Security Affairs Suthep Thaugsuban has urged the public not to panic over the upcoming anti-government movements scheduled for next Sunday.

Even though the deputy prime minister has expressed concerns over the protests to be held on September 19, he has assured the public that the Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES) will do their best to handle the situation and maintain order.

The CRES will today hold a meeting with the Royal Thai Police today, during which the police will present to the CRES the planned measures to handle the red-shirted protesters.

The anti-government United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) protests are scheduled to be held on Sep.19, the day marking the fourth anniversary of the coup d'état that has sent former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatara into exile, and has since deeply polarized the nation.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-09-10 footer_n.gif

Police having a plan..........???

Well well well...If we look back and see how they handled the situation last March to May, I think we have real and valid reasons to worry.....

Every single law has been broken in front of their eyes, without any reaction.....I would not trust them for a second on their ability or / and will to do anything....

BANGKOK (NNT ) -- Deputy Prime Minister of Security Affairs Suthep Thaugsuban has urged the public not to panic over the upcoming anti-government movements scheduled for next Sunday.

Don't panic. And remember, always carry a towel and don't forget your copy of the HHGTTG :)

Don't panic. And remember, always carry a towel and don't forget your copy of the HHGTTG :)

Thank You Zaphod Beeblebrox.

I wonder if the Deputy PM really used the word "panic" or another less emotion invoking word like "concerned" or some similar word. If he did use the word panic, he probably should have used another word as the word panic just seems to heighten the concern/fear for many people.

But when it comes to being a public figure, many times it's damned if you do (what you say), dammed if you don't (what you don't say).

Edited by Pib

I wonder if the Deputy PM really used the word "panic" or another less emotion invoking word like "concerned" or some similar word. If he did use the word panic, he probably should have used another word as the word panic just seems to heighten the concern/fear for many people.

But when it comes to being a public figure, many times it's damned if you do (what you say), dammed if you don't (what you don't say).

A lot tends to get lost in translation. I doubt he used the word 'panic'

I believe that advice was offered by Ford Prefect.

As the SoE still in force, isn't a group of more than 5 illegal? Another example of political repression NOT carried out.

for the first time in 7 years i do not come in october

Did you mean to post that in the Health Forum?

There are medications that can help in that regard.

*Disclaimer: The above is a joke, however weak. It is Friday, after all.

Edited by Buchholz

As the SoE still in force, isn't a group of more than 5 illegal? Another example of political repression NOT carried out.

Did the article say where the protest was being held? Correct me if I am wrong but I didnt see where it was stated.

The SoE has been dropped in many provinces so maybe its being held there.

Did the article say where the protest was being held? Correct me if I am wrong but I didnt see where it was stated.

The SoE has been dropped in many provinces so maybe its being held there.

There's a major protest planned for ChiangMai, a 50 cyclist tour in BKK to tie yet another red ribbon on Ratchaprasong. There may be others. Even in BKK anything peaceful will be condoned it seems.

"urge" is another strong word. "Urges public not to panic" seems to suggest that there are people in panic and he is working very hard to calm them down. I think it may simply be a case of sensationalist journalism.

A more apt phrase would be "advises people to remain calm".

You just beat me to that Post,I was wondering if I missed something.

So an illegal Protest of 5 or more people,is scheduled to go ahead,apparently legally,

With no doubt some of the previous Terrorists/Arsonists again present.

Cant get my head around that,TiT,Amazing Thailand,still doesnt explain it for me.

But as my Thai wife puts it "Think too much give you headache"

MAJIC

Edited by MAJIC

My cat ate my babel fish.

My cat ate my babel fish.

SPOILER ALERT:

That doesn't really matter, my dear, as we already know the answer is 42

• Like 1