Pay Up, Suckers!

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2010/sept/29-mid-year-fee-increases

"09 September 2010

The UK Border Agency has today announced proposals to increase immigration and nationality application fees for all those applying to visit, study, work or stay in the UK from autumn 2010."

Edited by Eff1n2ret

The US just put into effect the same thing September 8.

Who wants to visit the USA?

Ask the 38 million that immigrated to the USA in 2007.

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

so if the population was? 250 million in 2006 it rose to 288 million from immigration in 2007! Not really! Maybe they were visitors/ toursits?

The figure of 38 million refers to the rise in the number of first-generation immigrants living in the US between 1965 and 2007, a 42-year period.

The proposed increases are as below. The new fee is in bold type, so the cost of a visit visa, 6 month validity, is increased from 68 GBP to 70 GBP. Settlement visa fee is increased by more than 100 GBP. In addition to which a prospective spouse for settlement must pay for the soon- to-be- introduced English test ( probably around 100 GBP ). It looks like the cost of taking your spouse to the UK to live will increase by around 200 GBP by the end of the year. The Unit Cost is what the UKBA estimates the cost of processing a visa application to be. : -

Visit visa - short

Unit cost £140

Current cost £68

Proposed cost £70

Visit visa - long 2 year

Unit cost £140

Current cost £230

Proposed cost £245

Visit visa - long 5 year

Unit cost £141

Current cost £420

Proposed cost £450

Visit visa - long 10 year

Unit cost £155

Current cost £610

Proposed cost £650

Settlement

Unit cost £249

Current cost £644

Proposed cost £750

Settlement - Dependant Relative

Unit cost £272

Current cost £1,680

Proposed cost £1,680

Yes, most from Mexico thats why USA now has 2 languages nationwide. :)

I hate to pop your bubble, but there are over 50 languages in the US today (actually more, but did not want to go into obscure languages). We have materials printed in Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Hmong, Thai and many others as well as English, which is the majority language. One thing that most nations do not know is that the US does not have a national language that has been legislated. Language is handled here without any laws, rules or regulation. It has been this way since the beginning colonists came here from all over Europe. If I am correct, English is, by law, the official language of the Commonwealth, making the use of English mandatory. I can go to many places here in Sacramento and meet people who speak no English but can do rather well in their own language with their co-workers. I shop in a Thai grocery store here, run by Thais and they do not understand English at all!

We like things to be loose here in the US. Makes things a bit more interesting.

I hate to pop your bubble, but there are over 50 languages in the US today (actually more, but did not want to go into obscure languages).

Well I'm not going to pop your's but in Reading, a medium size town on the river Thames they recently published the results of a survey throughout the schools in the town. There were over 150 different first languages amongst the kids, many of them probably different obscure dialects but still highlights the problem with education in a multi racial society as many can hardly speak English.

Back to the topic of the thread. The UK has a perceived problem with immigration and the politicians have to be seen doing something about it. Unfortunately when politicians act on high profile issues like immigration it is little more than a knee jerk reaction and a sop to the screaming gutter press.

But don't fret too much, the UK is losing it's powers to make laws and soon all legislation will be produced and implemented by the tsars of the EUSSR.

I hate to pop your bubble, but there are over 50 languages in the US today (actually more, but did not want to go into obscure languages). We have materials printed in Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Hmong, Thai and many others as well as English, which is the majority language. One thing that most nations do not know is that the US does not have a national language that has been legislated. Language is handled here without any laws, rules or regulation. It has been this way since the beginning colonists came here from all over Europe. If I am correct, English is, by law, the official language of the Commonwealth, making the use of English mandatory. I can go to many places here in Sacramento and meet people who speak no English but can do rather well in their own language with their co-workers. I shop in a Thai grocery store here, run by Thais and they do not understand English at all!

Wow. Someone needs to brush up on his Constitution and current events. There are indeed offical language laws in the USA. Approx. 28 states, with several more considering the legislation have the laws. It's nothing new either. For example, Florida passed its law in 1988 and Montana in 1995.

The reason there isn't an official language at the federal level in the USA is because there is a seperation of powers between the state and the federal governments. The states have the legal right to set an official language and that is precisely what has been done.

Yes, most from Mexico thats why USA now has 2 languages nationwide. :)

That would explain why MIcrosoft has taught the world how not to spell 'English'. Loose would be an understatement...

Edited by asiawatcher

Who wants to visit the UK?

In 2008 there was 117.7 Million Visitors to the UK,

Who spent £21.1 Million.

Source: The UK Tourist

So a few visit the UK eh?

The proposed increases are as below. The new fee is in bold type, so the cost of a visit visa, 6 month validity, is increased from 68 GBP to 70 GBP. Settlement visa fee is increased by more than 100 GBP. In addition to which a prospective spouse for settlement must pay for the soon- to-be- introduced English test ( probably around 100 GBP ). It looks like the cost of taking your spouse to the UK to live will increase by around 200 GBP by the end of the year. The Unit Cost is what the UKBA estimates the cost of processing a visa application to be. : -

Visit visa - short

Unit cost £140

Current cost £68

Proposed cost £70

Visit visa - long 2 year

Unit cost £140

Current cost £230

Proposed cost £245

Visit visa - long 5 year

Unit cost £141

Current cost £420

Proposed cost £450

Visit visa - long 10 year

Unit cost £155

Current cost £610

Proposed cost £650

Settlement

Unit cost £249

Current cost £644

Proposed cost £750

Settlement - Dependant Relative

Unit cost £272

Current cost £1,680

Proposed cost £1,680

Thanks for the financials :thumbsup:

In the late 90's and early 2000's SV were £75 and in-country applications were free!

Plus from November an English test fee of £150! Legalised theft! :sick:

From another website (the poster is a member here)

1. TB test - c. £60

2. English language test - c. £150

3. Settlement visa fee - £750

4. Further English language test costs (?)

5. ILR application - £1250 (although I'm sure it will have risen again by the time an application falls due)

6. Naturalisation - £780 (ditto)

7. British passport application - c. £75 (ditto)

All of these costs could fall within the space of approximately 3 years and, to my maths, make a total of at least £3065.

Why bother doing the "right thing"?

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL