Pattaya Vs. Chang Mai

gguy

Visited CM for a couple of weeks to see if I would like to live there.

Cost of Living is equal. Some rents maybe cheaper. Western food restaurants seem to be more expensive in CM (I did not know all the right places to go).

I missed the ocean.

You really need a car or motorbike to enjoy CM. It is very spread out.

I tried to be as objective as possible. I think initially I had a CM bias after reading all the glowing reports on the web. Being single I like Pattaya's glitter. However, if you were married, it might be different.

Pattaya has 5 newspapers. Chiang Mai only has half a news paper. Pattaya 1 CM 0. :lol:

Certainly, Pattaya has the beach and that is a plus for it. But, if you take all that both cities have to offer -- food, scenery, ambience and mostly the people, CM wins hands down. CM has some culture and some "class", both of which are completely absent in Pattaya. In the "low season" when the tourist population of Pattaya declines significantly, the average quality of the population in Pattaya rises significantly. But, if you're into hanging out in the bars every evening, and dragging a bar girl home every night, then Pattaya has far more options/opportunity; but does that make it better? Being only an hour+ from BKK, Pattaya can get away with no culture, since you can go to BKK for some. But it would ne nice if Pattaya was more like CM, it would be a much better place!!!!

Chalk and cheese really.

I think Pattaya and Chiang Mai are diametrically opposed. If Pattaya suits your needs then Chiang Mai is unlikely to (and vice-versa)

For the long-term I would choose to live in Chiang Mai but always take trips to Pattaya.

Personal choice.

Rents in Pattaya are higher than Chiang Mai for sure.

I like Pattaya, but I could do without some of the package tourists around here.

There seems to be a glut of old condos and the prices are lower than Pattaya. However, new construction is fairly comparable rent wise.

All in all, the cost of living in both places seems about the same to me. It would be higher in my case since I would probably get a car or truck to get around. CM is compact but interesting places are scattered so transport is required.

CM for a few months per year has some of the worst air pollution on the planet. Pattaya has cleansing ocean breezes for much of the year. Pattaya food has strengths and weaknesses, as does CM. Neither is obviously superior OVERALL unless you are talking about food classes. For example, Pattaya is the best place in Thailand for Iranian food but has horrible Mexican food. Pattaya has the distinct advantage in having an excellent and super cheap BAHT BUS system for those who don't want to run a vehicle. This "culture" you are talking about in CM. What exactly? Opera, sympathy, and theater circuit? Yeah right.

Chalk and cheese really.

I think Pattaya and Chiang Mai are diametrically opposed. If Pattaya suits your needs then Chiang Mai is unlikely to (and vice-versa)

For the long-term I would choose to live in Chiang Mai but always take trips to Pattaya.

Personal choice.

I agree. Very different places.

CM for a few months per year has some of the worst air pollution on the planet. Pattaya has cleansing ocean breezes for much of the year. Pattaya food has strengths and weaknesses, as does CM. Neither is obviously superior OVERALL unless you are talking about food classes. For example, Pattaya is the best place in Thailand for Iranian food but has horrible Mexican food. Pattaya has the distinct advantage in having an excellent and super cheap BAHT BUS system for those who don't want to run a vehicle. This "culture" you are talking about in CM. What exactly? Opera, sympathy, and theater circuit? Yeah right.

Sympathy? Is that something you feel when listening to a symphony?  :rolleyes:

Certainly, Pattaya has the beach and that is a plus for it. But, if you take all that both cities have to offer -- food, scenery, ambience and mostly the people, CM wins hands down. CM has some culture and some "class", both of which are completely absent in Pattaya. In the "low season" when the tourist population of Pattaya declines significantly, the average quality of the population in Pattaya rises significantly. But, if you're into hanging out in the bars every evening, and dragging a bar girl home every night, then Pattaya has far more options/opportunity; but does that make it better? Being only an hour+ from BKK, Pattaya can get away with no culture, since you can go to BKK for some. But it would ne nice if Pattaya was more like CM, it would be a much better place!!!!

Gee, I wonder who comes to Pattaya for some "class" or "culture" :whistling: ? The biggest plus of Pattaya (for me) is its proximity to BKK, the sea and a really well connected airport.

Without a car you are lost in CM. CM baht bus very expensive and not reliable. I can live very happily in Patts without a car. If you are centrally located, purchasing a car in Patts is a waste of money. Better to rent for occasional excursions.

During low season i prefer Pattaya, in high season another place but not know which one yet.

Been to CM ones, only 5 days, it looked expensive to me compared with Pattaya. Been to Pai as well, that's a nice city but also very expensive at that time, maybe because there was a festival going on and that made the prices go up as i'm told.

They both have their respective strengths and weaknesses. To start with is the general atmosphere...Pattaya is a beachside resort 2 hours south of a capitol city of 10 million...Chiang Mai is a small city of maybe a million people or so set in the bowl of a mountainous region. So on this basis alone, some will prefer one place of the other. Rents, food, and other general costs are probably pretty similar like for like...but resto selection, number of quality grocery stores, and general shopping are much better in Pattaya.

One thing in CM's favor is you do get more real seasons up there with that elevation...and it can get close to freezing during January/February. While it does cool off quite a bit during the Pattaya "winter" it is still comfortably warm. As has been mentioned, CM does suffer insufferable fine particulate air pollution during several months of the "burning season" and this would certainly be of concern to anyone with respiratory ailments as well as anyone who just likes to breath reasonably clean air.

As to culture, from what I have observed and read, it appears that CM does draw a more intelectual diverse and artistic expatriate community...I wonder why :whistling: So if one appreciates having conversations on the ultimate meaning of life you are probably more likely to find it at a coffee shop in CM than Pattaya. However, for those who do like to take in some real culture once in awhile, it's hard to beat being a B100 and 2 hour bus ride from Bangkok, with it film festivals, concerts, lectures, and other cultural events.

Overall, I still prefer Pattaya for living...the restos, shopping, and proximity to BKK is what does it for me. CM is great for a visit and their Spring flower festival is wonderful (similar to the Rose Bowl Parade on a smaller scale) but I don't think I would want to live there full time.

• Like 1

I am far from an expert on Pattaya, having only visited there once in March. I find these comparisons interesting, except for the fact that when I was in the Pattaya area, there seemed to be a huge difference between central Pattaya on the one hand, and Wong Amat beach to the North and Jomtien to the South. I didn't like Central Pattaya at all - too many hustlers etc. all the things others have mentioned. But I actually liked Wong Amat area - still a few hustlers, but more local shops, easy to get around, just a better feel to it. So when people on this site and others are talking about Pattaya, are they talking about places to the North or South as well? Just trying to get the local terminology

I am far from an expert on Pattaya, having only visited there once in March. I find these comparisons interesting, except for the fact that when I was in the Pattaya area, there seemed to be a huge difference between central Pattaya on the one hand, and Wong Amat beach to the North and Jomtien to the South. I didn't like Central Pattaya at all - too many hustlers etc. all the things others have mentioned. But I actually liked Wong Amat area - still a few hustlers, but more local shops, easy to get around, just a better feel to it. So when people on this site and others are talking about Pattaya, are they talking about places to the North or South as well? Just trying to get the local terminology

For sure central Pattaya is a bit of an eyesore...to put it mildly. Kinda like when I lived in Newport Beach. People would say..."so, how do you like living in LA?" I would say "I don't live in LA, I live in Orange County." But everybody thought OC was part of LA. Huge difference.

You need a car, but it's worth the effort to head south of town. Great seaside restaurants and much better beaches. The further south you go, the better the beaches get.

I would never live "in" Pattaya. But that's just my preference. Just like I would never live in Patong...but Bang Tao is sure beautiful! And they are all considered "Phuket".

I think the comparison of LA to Pattaya is a good one in terms of trying to describe Pattaya. I grew up in LA near the airport and loved it - close to the beach, nice weather, etc. But if you are stuck in other parts of LA, crime, smog etc. it can be horrible. Pattaya struck me the same way - it is all about picking the right spot. In my opinion, human nature being what it is, people who don't like Pattaya will lump it all together, and people who like it will distinguish the various parts.