Phuket - Paradise Or Not?

madmitch

3 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:
3 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

What happened to the guy in post 3?

Jailed for murdering his Thai missus and storing her remains in a wheely-bin in his house.

Lemme guess, they did him for not putting out his bin.

As for Paradise.... Is there anywhere left that has not been destroyed by man's greed?

Edited by DaRoadrunner

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:14 PM, fredob43 said:

Is anywhere paradise now? I first went to Phuket well over 25 years ago. Then it WAS a form of paradise. We stayed on Patong yes Patong only a few hotels, no bugger around looked at small rock pools of water with small fish in them on spotless beaches and Christal clear seas. 

Hired a small 4x4 and the only place to get fuel was at a hand pumped fuel shop. Basic but quaint. Most of the roads were cart tracks with 2 foot ruts in them lined with palm trees. Loved it. Good food and cheap.

Took the wife back last year to visit some friends that were staying there on holiday. My Buddha hasn't it changed. Concrete everywhere price through the roof. Wife hated it wanted to go home as soon as we arrived,  Did get her out the first night to a restaurant she took one look at the menu and said too supensive and refused to order. Got to stay 3 days in the end. She stayed in the hotel every day only going out to get food from stalls. I gave in and we drove home. Must still have some places that one can call paradise but I didn't find them.

They do say change is good but sorry to say not in this case. Might be better during the low season once the traffic has died down a bit.

A bit naïve expecting any place to have remained unchanged after 25 years, let alone a hugely popular and massively visited place like Patong.

If perfect beaches with palm trees and very little development is your version of paradise, there are still many places it can be found.

Try the Kai Islands before the hoards get there, it might  even fit the wife's budget,

kai.JPG

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

A bit naïve expecting any place to have remained unchanged after 25 years, let alone a hugely popular and massively visited place like Patong.

If perfect beaches with palm trees and very little development is your version of paradise, there are still many places it can be found.

Try the Kai Islands before the hoards get there, it might  even fit the wife's budget,

kai.JPG

I have no doubt that there are still places that fit the bill but the post was about Phuket. Paradise or not. I just stated how it had changed in my estimation and not for the good.

I was there the first time for 11 days we then went on to Ko Samui. I remember walking along the beach next to the Big Buddha. I had a Brolly to keep the sun off and I felt like R/Crusoe as I ambled along that beaches waters edge not a sole in sight.

Never been back, but have seen snaps of what it's like now. They the Thais like Phuket have buggered the place. Sad to say but that's progress I suppose.