Phuket - Paradise Or Not?

madmitch

I drive my daughter to and from school most days and often listen to 91.5FM. The other day DJ Doris referred to Phuket as 'This Paradise Island" no less than four times in a period of half an hour. The said DJ regularly uses this phrase, but when I'm sitting in a traffic jam with ugly concrete buildings all around, the phrase almost makes me cringe.

The scams, the pollution, the traffic, the corruption and the incessant building and roadworks destroying most of the natural beauty of the island only add to my thoughts that Phuket is definitely no paradise island.

However, for those sipping cocktails around the pool of a luxury villa or five star hotel, or soaking up the rays an a deserted beach (there are some left), maybe paradise is somewhat nearer.

I live in Phuket and it's an OK place to live so this isn't a Phuket-bashing comment but just asks the question in the thread title:

Phuket - Paradise or not?

• Haha 1

Is anywhere paradise? I'll take some B countries here: Bhutan- beautiful, unspoiled, not crowded, peaceful, very 3rd world. Bermuda-expensive, good water sports, close to a lot of first world places. Brazil- Has it's good and bad places, crime, land ownership problems etc.

Phuket to me is overdeveloped and certainly isn't what is was like when I came years ago, but there is also a lot of upside compared to what it used to be. Everyone's paradise is different luckily, or everyone in the world that could afford to would be at the one place called paradise.

I must say when I am sitting down at Nai Harn before sunset with a cold beverage it's seems close to paradise to me, especially during low season on a brilliant sunny day with nice waves.

• Like 1

Phuket is very much what you make it to. Having a drink poolside, being on the beach, a trip around Kata on motocy, working on bikes in my garage, all without freezing my fingernails off. Its still Paradise:P .

Even if I do enjoy driving car, driving kids to school in Phuket town every morning and pickup every afternoon, 70 km and almost 2 hours a day in rush traffic, was not my idea of Paradise so we hired a driver for schooldriving

Edited by katabeachbum

I agree with the previous posters. There are times & places when I think 'this is Paradise', and there are many other times & places when I think this is hel_l.

I guess it's about the state of mind at that moment in time. We walk along Kata Beach most mornings about 08.00 and I think 'this is Paradise'. I drive through Chalong in rush hour, and along to Central and think 'this is hel_l'. But the traffic is nowhere near as bad as in any major city so I don't know why I think it's that bad.

Oh well, it's all relative .... B)

Definition of Paradise

World English Dictionary

paradise (ˈpærəˌdaɪs)

— n

1. heaven as the ultimate abode or state of the righteous

2. Islam the sensual garden of delights that the Koran promises the faithful after death

3. Also called: limbo (according to some theologians) the intermediate abode or state of the just prior to the Resurrection of Jesus, as in Luke 23:43

4. the place or state of happiness enjoyed by Adam before the first sin; the Garden of Eden

5. any place or condition that fulfils all one's desires or aspirations

6. a park in which foreign animals are kept

I suppose it's 5 that is closest to what most would consider paradise, though there may be some cynics who would consider number 6 as describing Phuket!

I expected some varied answers and as Living in Kata said, what's paradise one day can be hel_l the next.

It has "paradise" qualities and potential if you get rid of the mafias, clean up the litter, beaches and lock up the scam artists and better organize the traffic flow.. In some corners where these are not issues it could definitely be classed as paradise..

• Like 1

Where ever you live is what you make of it, what really is paradise.

When we travel we are happy when we return home to Phuket.

Phuket has a excellent climate all the year round, most people are friendly, its cheap to live well here compared

to most developed country's and has all the amenity's i require.

As far as traffic is concerned we are lucky because we have no need to travel when it is heavy.

Go anywhere with a large population and you get traffic jams in rush hour no matter how good the road system is.

All of us who live here know what and who to avoid and know when people are trying to scam or cheat us.

As far as that is concerned its no different than anywhere else in the world.

I personally love living here and every time i travel elsewhere am glad to be back, otherwise i would not be here.

It's where I chose to live after many years of traveling in 5 continents. But Phuket has many faces. I dislike Patong, and fortunately have very little need to spend any time there. Very happy living here, not a big fan of the traffic but it does not bother me too much. Paradise is a word that gets used far too often. Phuket is not a 24 hour paradise but like many people who live here I have my favourite spots. My favourite beachside restaurant is only open in high season, and I look forward to it - uncrowded beach, cold beer in hand sitting at a table on the sand watching the sunset, kids playing happily, no jet skis or hawkers, friendly people, cheap tasty food.. ah what the heck, one more beer, my wife can drive home... not every day is paradise, this is real life, but ... quite happy in this semi-Paradise thanks.

Is anywhere paradise ?? Its up to you to make the most of a place, and have the courage that if it becomes a place you feel your not getting the most out of life, to go in search of where you can get more.

A more interesting question would be, is phuket improving and getting closer to paradise ?? Or is Phuket deteriorating and getting less of a paradise ??

For those who need western levels of standards, communications, hospital care, its still possible to argue the former. For those that like DJ's, night clubs, wild nights its a got a big appeal.. But I think the last 4 or 5 years the direction isnt a good one for residents. Its not irreversible at this point, but I consider it unlikely to change.

Phuket itself, the island, its climate, geography, natural beauty, etc has (or maybe had) the chance to be VERY close to a 'paradise' but corruption, get rich quick locals, the lack of accountability, and most of all a mindset that emphasizes short term profitability over longer term sustainability, to me they make the kind of hard choices required now, not really likely to happen.

Paradise ?? On a good day its very close, but dam_n if every once in a while the mirage comes crashing down.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

After seeing the article in Phuket news section today relating to the cost of living in paradise, I thought I'd reopen a thread I started nearly nine years ago. I wonder whether people's views have changed when taking into account the increased traffic, pollution, change in demographic and more crowded beaches.

There weren't too many responses then, as you can see, and most still considered it a paradise of sorts. Let's see what people think today when taking into account all the changes during the past few years. I didn't consider it anything like a paradise then; even less so now, with the increased traffic, pollution, building, general incrases in numbers and the changes in tourist demographics

On 9/14/2010 at 11:38 AM, stevenl said:

What does 'Paradise' mean to you? If it means: I'm enjoying my life here, yes, Phuket is paradise, is it means: I'm enjoying my life without any single negative, Phuket is not paradise (nor is anywhere else IMO).

It literally means a walled garden.

Anyway, compared to Hounslow where I grew up, yes, it is a paradise.

In the 90s HKT was my paradise.

Starting with the "Shark" story it lost its paradise charm more and more each year.

But it's still great to live here on HKT and call it home.

It's still beating all other places in the world in aspect quality of living. Still living really free and enjoying life here.

From my point of view pretty much spot on [emoji106]

Starting with the "Shark" story it lost its paradise charm more and more each year.

It's still beating all other places in the world in aspect quality of living. Still living really free and enjoying life here.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

After seeing the article in Phuket news section today relating to the cost of living in paradise, I thought I'd reopen a thread I started nearly nine years ago. I wonder whether people's views have changed when taking into account the increased traffic, pollution, change in demographic and more crowded beaches.

There weren't too many responses then, as you can see, and most still considered it a paradise of sorts. Let's see what people think today when taking into account all the changes during the past few years. I didn't consider it anything like a paradise then; even less so now, with the increased traffic, pollution, building, general incrases in numbers and the changes in tourist demographics

For me my opinion hasn't change (thanks Joe for making it easy to find :))

"What does 'Paradise' mean to you? If it means: I'm enjoying my life here, yes, Phuket is paradise, if it means: I'm enjoying my life without any single negative, Phuket is not paradise (nor is anywhere else IMO). "

• Like 1

The only expensive thing is international schooling. If you don't have kids, you cant ever complain about the price. You can basically work min wage jobs over the phone from your country and live like a decently above average earner back home.

So many good memories at the Shark club!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Shark club>>>>  LOL, I co-managed it for a year, Kevin was an ass. Titanic was much better.

After being here, (except for 2 years) since 1985. Its still a great place to live, raise a family, ( if u can afford it, luckily my daughter graduated from QSI in 2013) enjoy the beaches and ever changing shopping options

This is my last year, its gotten to "easy" so heading over to Kep for a new adventure.

4 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Shark club>>>>  LOL, I co-managed it for a year, Kevin was an ass. Titanic was much better.

After being here, (except for 2 years) since 1985. Its still a great place to live, raise a family, ( if u can afford it, luckily my daughter graduated from QSI in 2013) enjoy the beaches and ever changing shopping options

This is my last year, its gotten to "easy" so heading over to Kep for a new adventure.

As in Kep Province in eastern Cambodia?

Haven't heard that mentioned as an alternative before. What's the attraction/adventure there?

Are there health facilities if malaria bites?

1 hour ago, schlog said:

Extradited and enjoying life somewhere else?

No he is still serving time. I spoke to an old neighbour of his about 2 months ago. 

He wants his sentence commuted to be served in Norway but no luck with it yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

As in Kep Province in eastern Cambodia?

Haven't heard that mentioned as an alternative before. What's the attraction/adventure there?

Are there health facilities if malaria bites?

Yep:
Its on the gulf of thailand, not much there but GF's Family, the beach, the mtns and quiet.
NO bars, no mini marts, no Supermarkets, Lovely islands 30 minutes away,  peaceful, Daily local market, great seafood, (Kep is known for its crab market).
Does have a clinic but not sure i'd trust it over my book, "where there is no doctor" that i got when i was in the peace corps. ????

• Like 1

On 9/14/2010 at 12:24 PM, LivinginKata said:

I agree with the previous posters. There are times & places when I think 'this is Paradise', and there are many other times & places when I think this is hel_l.

I guess it's about the state of mind at that moment in time. We walk along Kata Beach most mornings about 08.00 and I think 'this is Paradise'. I drive through Chalong in rush hour, and along to Central and think 'this is hel_l'. But the traffic is nowhere near as bad as in any major city so I don't know why I think it's that bad.

Oh well, it's all relative .... B)

9 years later. We still walk on Kata Beach each morning, even have an excercise park paid by club med. Traffic at Chalong a bit easier due to tunnel. For me still still Paradise. 

• Like 1

Is anywhere paradise now? I first went to Phuket well over 25 years ago. Then it WAS a form of paradise. We stayed on Patong yes Patong only a few hotels, no bugger around looked at small rock pools of water with small fish in them on spotless beaches and Christal clear seas. 

Hired a small 4x4 and the only place to get fuel was at a hand pumped fuel shop. Basic but quaint. Most of the roads were cart tracks with 2 foot ruts in them lined with palm trees. Loved it. Good food and cheap.

Took the wife back last year to visit some friends that were staying there on holiday. My Buddha hasn't it changed. Concrete everywhere price through the roof. Wife hated it wanted to go home as soon as we arrived,  Did get her out the first night to a restaurant she took one look at the menu and said too supensive and refused to order. Got to stay 3 days in the end. She stayed in the hotel every day only going out to get food from stalls. I gave in and we drove home. Must still have some places that one can call paradise but I didn't find them.

They do say change is good but sorry to say not in this case. Might be better during the low season once the traffic has died down a bit.

Edited by fredob43
  • Haha 1