Thai Bbq Party

tweezer

OK... So I will be hosting a poolside BBQ party for about 20-30 Thai colleagues. I'm wondering what to serve.

As a Yank, a BBQ to me is burgers, ribs, dogs, corn on the cob and potato salad, etc (and beer of course.) What do you think my Thai guests would enjoy? I've got a decent charcoal grill, and can make/get whatever.

Any menu suggestions are much appreciated!

Cheers,

T

OK... So I will be hosting a poolside BBQ party for about 20-30 Thai colleagues. I'm wondering what to serve.

As a Yank, a BBQ to me is burgers, ribs, dogs, corn on the cob and potato salad, etc (and beer of course.) What do you think my Thai guests would enjoy? I've got a decent charcoal grill, and can make/get whatever.

Any menu suggestions are much appreciated!

Cheers,

T

Hey, that sounds great!

You are an American, so do all the things you would do back home!

What you should reconsider is that many Thais do not eat beef.

Soft drinks, Soda and Whiskey a big pack of ice cubes, rice, fruit, a cake or ice cream would be nice too.

From the BBQ's we've held in order of preference

Prawns, squid/cuttlefish, pork

Crab, bought a couple of those frozen king crabs from Makro and they went down well as a novelty.

Fish

Cockles (a lot of guests are wary of food poisoning)

As mentioned above, Beef can be hit and miss due to a lot of Thais not eating it. Although I've seen men pull out a piece of beef hide towards the end of the evening, char and then eat it.

Somtam, rice and other salads.

Soda, whisky, ice and beer

For dessert -- whatever fruit is in season, the messier the better. I've sat around Thai outdoor BBQs with the women who gleefully cracked open the tamarinds or mangosteens or whatever else fruit I've never heard about. These fruits were always very messy -- not the sort of stuff you'd eat at a formal dining table. I guess it's the Thai equivalent of eating watermelon at a BBQ and spitting the seeds!

You can do a fusion of Thai style kabobs. Get a bunch of metal skewers. Marinate a line up of different meats and veg. Also works for shellfish and seafood.

You could either make them all up beforehand or just lay everything out, show your guests how to make their own custom kabob and then give it to you for cooking.

An alternative that takes more time, but is also fun, is to spit roast a pig over an open flame, like a Hawaiian luau. (only downside is that it can take a whole day to cook and one mistake will give you moo-flambee'.

Sounds like fun !!

BBQ rat on a stick will always go down well with Thai people!

Sorry! Just an idea! :licklips:

IT TASTES LIKE CHICKEN AND ITS CHEAPER THAN CHICKEN

Nice post! Did you even read the OP? Do you usually use all capital letters to post? Nice photo too, you didn't resize it obviously or use the preview post feature to see how bad it looks and how out of focus it is...

Back to the OP. Marinated (lime juice, garlic, fish sauce and chillies, ginger, maybe a bit of soy sauce and some sugar) pork and chicken wings on skewers. Fish, squid, shrimp, some rice, nam plik and beverages are usually always are a crowd favorite... Yum, sounds like fun, I might have to do one next week!

BBQ rat on a stick will always go down well with Thai people!

Sorry! Just an idea! :licklips:

IT TASTES LIKE CHICKEN AND ITS CHEAPER THAN CHICKEN

Nice post! Did you even read the OP? Do you usually use all capital letters to post? Nice photo too, you didn't resize it obviously or use the preview post feature to see how bad it looks and how out of focus it is...

Back to the OP. Marinated (lime juice, garlic, fish sauce and chillies, ginger, maybe a bit of soy sauce and some sugar) pork and chicken wings on skewers. Fish, squid, shrimp, some rice, nam plik and beverages are usually always are a crowd favorite... Yum, sounds like fun, I might have to do one next week!

SOrry

no i didnt

trying do to 2 many things at once

well from your opening post you sound like you have bit of money to splash out on the occasion and if you want to impress. why not go for a couple of racks of lamb marinaded in red wine, rosemary, brown sugar or honey, a crushed clove of garlic, ground black pepper and a teaspoon of redcurrant jelly.

for most, but not all thais it would probably be the first time they would have tried such a different type of meat and from introducing a couple of them to lamb myself ive never had any complaints. in fact quite the opposite, keep getting asked when im going to prepare and cook them it again.

bloody expensive though !

well from your opening post you sound like you have bit of money to splash out on the occasion and if you want to impress. why not go for a couple of racks of lamb marinaded in red wine, rosemary, brown sugar or honey, a crushed clove of garlic, ground black pepper and a teaspoon of redcurrant jelly.

for most, but not all thais it would probably be the first time they would have tried such a different type of meat and from introducing a couple of them to lamb myself ive never had any complaints. in fact quite the opposite, keep getting asked when im going to prepare and cook them it again.

bloody expensive though !

Some Thais are horrified at the idea of eating sheep. I'm not sure why, maybe they think they are too cute to eat?? same with rabbits...

Lamb is a rip-off here anyway

Some Thais are horrified at the idea of eating sheep. I'm not sure why, maybe they think they are too cute to eat?? same with rabbits...

Lamb is a rip-off here anyway

I love lamb -- but my Thai wife really does not like the taste -- nothing to do with any "cuteness"-- simply a taste she dislikes. So even when back in Australia we never eat it anymore. Sad.

"Lamb is a rip-off here anyway" ---OMG!!! --- Please protect me from the "rip-off" brigade!! Just how much do you pay for Lamb here .. ipez?? In case you would like to know --imported Lamb sells in MAKRO for less than in the countries where it is produced. (usually Aust or NZ)

Here is an idea of cost of Lamb -- now in Australia:

"Medium-sized legs of lamb cost about $25, or $20.99 a kilogram" (http://www.smh.com.a...l?from=storyrhs)

Back to the OP

One thing you shall serve -- If your wife is anything like mine -- is about twice as much food as required!!:rolleyes:

Our cook-outs always involve Bar-B-Q pork, grilled chicken and half a dozen various local pre-prepared dishes. We tend to avoid seafood.

seafood with the spicy sauce - fish sauce, lime juice, minched garlic and cut up fresh red and green chillies (Jockstar makes the best of them :D )

BBQ chicken always works - serve with the sweet chilli sauce (or nam jim jaew - see below)

some spicy thai salad - like yum woon sen (with woonsen, then you dont need to serve rice...hopefully!)

Spare ribs (pork) - but instead of grilled/bbq'ed, if you can deep fry it (with lotsssssssss of garlic) - aka 'moo tord kratium'. mmmmmmmmmm. serve with 'nam jim jaew' - thats the isaan fish sauce with dried ground chillies

alternatively, serve this with 'sri racha chili sauce'

:licklips:

for dessert - depends who you are inviting :D

seafood with the spicy sauce - fish sauce, lime juice, minched garlic and cut up fresh red and green chillies (Jockstar makes the best of them :D )

BBQ chicken always works - serve with the sweet chilli sauce (or nam jim jaew - see below)

some spicy thai salad - like yum woon sen (with woonsen, then you dont need to serve rice...hopefully!)

Spare ribs (pork) - but instead of grilled/bbq'ed, if you can deep fry it (with lotsssssssss of garlic). mmmmmmmmmm. serve with 'nam jim jaew' - thats the isaan fish sauce with dried ground chillies

alternatively, serve this with 'sri racha chili sauce'

:licklips:

for dessert - depends who you are inviting :D

in other words if you're going to invite mig, make sure theres lots of chocolate orientated items for dessert. smile.gif

in other words if you're going to invite mig, make sure theres lots of chocolate orientated items for dessert.

haha,

but hey to my credit, I did make lots of other suggestins before bringing up the C word. and even then....I didnt mention it :whistling: