Bangkok Bank.

Well, I absolutely cannot claim to be impartial.

But I can tell you that we use the same product as JP MORGAN, WACHOVIA, and many other US banks. And WESTPAC has just signed to use it. So unlike some other banks we did not write it ourselves and we use the accumulated knowedlge of many large banks in the package, but we did have to customize it a fair bit for the Thai market (not just language).

It is secure, reliable and pretty fast. given the Thai internet connections.

Complaints we have had include the need to support more Browser types. We now support Firefox on MAC. The reason we did not before was to do with the testing cycle, we need to test each version of each Browser and OS combination. Some other banks just open it up and let you use whatver, and the site hangs with some browsers. That is not our style. We limit it to things we know work.

I get a LOT of feedback from happy users. I know there will be some who are not happy, and we encourage people to give us constructive feedback (I will not respond to ranting). We continue to invest in it. To develop it. It is one of our most dynamic channels. We have a lot of new things planned for the near future.

Ian

Edited by ianguygil

I've used it without problems for three years, paying bills and making transfers. SSL encryption is only 128 bit, my other banks offer 256. Maybe not such a big issue as verification by SMS passcode is required to add new accounts to transfer to. Also you get an e-mail on every login.

But I can tell you that we use the same product as JP MORGAN, WACHOVIA, and many other US banks. And WESTPAC has just signed to use it. So unlike some other banks we did not write it ourselves and we use the accumulated knowedlge of many large banks in the package, but we did have to customize it a fair bit for the Thai market (not just language).

Complaints we have had include the need to support more Browser types. We now support Firefox on MAC. The reason we did not before was to do with the testing cycle, we need to test each version of each Browser and OS combination. Some other banks just open it up and let you use whatver, and the site hangs with some browsers. That is not our style. We limit it to things we know work.

I get a LOT of feedback from happy users. I know there will be some who are not happy, and we encourage people to give us constructive feedback (I will not respond to ranting). We continue to invest in it. To develop it. It is one of our most dynamic channels. We have a lot of new things planned for the near future.

Ian

Can a Brit Pension be paid into BkkBank London,if you allready have 2 Accounts with them here in Thailand,and would the ATM be O.K ?

I've had an account with BBL for 25 years and e-banking for several years and pay my bills, and have several transfer payees setup. There were issues before such as IE only and having to go to the bank to fill out a form to add a payee and wait but that has all been upgraded since. Security seems to be improving in areas also. The SMS one time password for adding a payee now requires verifying the account number. Making a transfer, also a SMS of a OTP for security and an e-mail + SMS when accessing your account. Can also use it with your mobile phone.

Basically I find it works perfectly for me.

Ian

Can a Brit Pension be paid into BkkBank London,if you allready have 2 Accounts with them here in Thailand,and would the ATM be O.K ?

Sure, please PM me and I will get somebody in the UK (our London branch) to call you and help with the setup. I think you need to deposit it locally in the UK first. But I will get them to check and work it out with you. Once I have your PM I will give you my Bank email so we can correspond in private.

I've had an account with BBL for 25 years and e-banking for several years and pay my bills, and have several transfer payees setup. There were issues before such as IE only and having to go to the bank to fill out a form to add a payee and wait but that has all been upgraded since. Security seems to be improving in areas also. The SMS one time password for adding a payee now requires verifying the account number. Making a transfer, also a SMS of a OTP for security and an e-mail + SMS when accessing your account. Can also use it with your mobile phone.

Basically I find it works perfectly for me.

Thanks for the feedback. And I totally forgot to mention our Mobile iBanking product. This is a skin on top of iBanking which allows iBanking users to access the vast majority of the functions on a mobile device with a WAP2 Browser. The form factor and the capabilities of each browser determine how it works on each specific device (some browsers handle menus differently etc.). But this is a hugely popular service. I use it to transfer funds and pay bills when I am in the car (being driven, not driving myself). It is secure (same 128-Bit SSL which is the difference between old WAP and WAP2, as WAP used to terminate the encryption in the Telco, which is a no -no for a bank).

Thanks again. Much more new things to come in the coming months.

Ian

Sure, please PM me and I will get somebody in the UK (our London branch) to call you and help with the setup. I think you need to deposit it locally in the UK first. But I will get them to check and work it out with you. Once I have your PM I will give you my Bank email so we can correspond in private.

Thanks i will rember that,its 12 months of.ve not claimed as yet

Hello Ian, I am in a similar situation, I need to get regular pensions payments into my Bangkok bank account. Can my UK bank do standing orders to that account via the London Bankok Bank branch? Can you let me have the info too please?

Thanks

BM

Oh i have a funny tale to tell about BBL, basically, after have been a customer for 5 consecutive years and always used the internet banking option, i didn't use the internet banking for about 5-6 months but i was still having funds in that account, when i did try to use the internet banking again and noticed it wasn't working anymore, i call them and i also went to many different branches to restart the service and ALL of them would just tell me that i never had that internet service access to their bank and that i couldn't get one because i didn't had a work permit, after a few weeks of struggle i managed to get access to a new account....great.

Ian

Ian,

I am in a similar position to the earlier poster and thinking of switching over totally from 'The Local Bank' (yeah right) to Bangkok Bank. I have sent a PM and look forward to your response.

Cheers,

George O

I've used it without problems for three years, paying bills and making transfers. SSL encryption is only 128 bit, my other banks offer 256. Maybe not such a big issue as verification by SMS passcode is required to add new accounts to transfer to. Also you get an e-mail on every login.

I am sorry, i also forgot to mention. Our site does support 256 Bit encryption (you can check the Verisign Cert we use to allow us to offer strong encryption outside of the USA). Please check your browser. If it is IE8 it should be fine (earlier versions of IE do not work) and should "step up" to 256 Bit SSL.. I can check on other versions of different browsers to check which will work if you are not on IE

if you have any problems please let me know with a post here on the thread or please PM me. Thanks!'

Ian

Edited by ianguygil

I am sorry, i also forgot to mention. Our site does support 256 Bit encryption (you can check the Verisign Cert we use to allow us to offer strong encryption outside of the USA). Please check your browser. If it is IE8 it should be fine (earlier versions of IE do not work) and should "step up" to 256 Bit SSL.. I can check on other versions of different browsers to check which will work if you are not on IE

if you have any problems please let me know with a post here on the thread or please PM me. Thanks!'

Ian

Another quick correction, while our site Cert does allow us to offer 256 Bit encryption, we need to change something on the servers to allow it to take effect. I need to check with the product group to see if and when they want to activate. It will at best be in the next release (we work on a release schedule). At this time 128 Bit is still considered to be highly secure and pretty much impossible to break (statistically improbable) but 256 bit is 1 trillion times stronger. So I will get back to you with more details later.

Gennisis  

I have been with Bangkok Bank Bualuang i Banking for a few years now. I can say without hesitation it is an excellent product and has been trouble free.

I use it to transfer funds to various accounts/bills and also have it linked to other banks.  I have an older mortgage at Bank of Ayudhya but prefer banking with Bangkok Bank so I link it to the BB account and just transfer funds as needed for the monthly note.

I also have a SCB account which is also linked. When I first opened accounts in Thailand I opened at both SCB and Bangkok Bank. But after using both for a few years Bangkok has become my main accountand the rest are just linked now.  

Also if your from the US like we are you cannot beat the transfer ability from your US bank through Bangkok Banks New York branch. The cost is half of what it would cost from any other US bank because it is treated as a domestic transfer not international. They also have a UK branch I see after reading Ian's reply above.  

Hard to beat in my opinion and as Ian said it works great with Firefox too which I like. They also are the only Thai online bank that sends me an email alert anytime I log on to my account. A nice extra touch in my opinion.  Good Luck

Edited by mania

Ian

Another quick correction, while our site Cert does allow us to offer 256 Bit encryption, we need to change something on the servers to allow it to take effect. I need to check with the product group to see if and when they want to activate. It will at best be in the next release (we work on a release schedule). At this time 128 Bit is still considered to be highly secure and pretty much impossible to break (statistically improbable) but 256 bit is 1 trillion times stronger. So I will get back to you with more details later.

A quick update.

We are looking at our Web logs for iBanking to see the percentage of the users who have browsers which support 256-Bit SSL. We will fit it in to a future release, but the percentage of users with capable browsers will drive the priority of this. There is no functional change, just configuration and test. There is some small concern about the CPU power old some older PCs so we just need to test when we decide to do it. As you may know (well, some may know) SSL actually works with a huge "Public Key" exchange which encrypts a "Shared Secret" randomly generated code. The Public Key is 1024-Bit or 2048-Bit or higher. The "shared secret" is the one affected by the move from 128 Bit to 256 Bit.

So I will probably update this thread in a month or so

In the interim, all should be confident that 128-Bit encryption is not hackable (maybe by the US NSA but nobody else). So all such services, especially iBanking, are safe to use.

Good luck.

Thanks for the update. Please make sure everything works on Firefox. I absolutely refuse to use IE.

IE and FireFox are our supported browsers. We test both. We block browsers that are not tested and "certified".

I won't get into the whole IE v FireFox v Safari v Chrome etc. I have my own opinion and I will keep it to myself. We encourage customers to use the correct settings / configuration with all supported browsers. And to use the net responsibly, to use licensed versions of the OS (less than 25% in Thailand do) and to install, configure and update anti-malware software. Trojans can affect all platforms and all browsers. SSL has no effect on malware, it is just for privacy and it authenticates the site to the browser.

Please expect to hear back from me in about 1 month. If I don't update this thread please remind me. Thanks

I've used Bangkok Bangkok internet banking for several years now, to include payment of my monthly utility bills, 3d Party Transfers like to pay my yearly car insurance bill or pay for major work on the house, etc. I also use it every few days just to confirm ATM withdrawal amounts & debit card charges, looking for unauthorized activity with my bank account, etc. Works just fine.

Hello Ian, I am in a similar situation, I need to get regular pensions payments into my Bangkok bank account. Can my UK bank do standing orders to that account via the London Bankok Bank branch? Can you let me have the info too please?

Thanks

BM

Sorry

I missed your post

Please PM me and I will contact you from a Bangkok Bank email address. Please make sure to give your email in the PM

Ian

I've used BKBK for quite a long time, but still am not happy with internet use. I get to the ATMs or my local branch when necessary, and they're always very helpful there, but the internet isn't.

Despite saying BKBK is most concerned about security, I'm surprised they really do not support the most secure OS.

Yes, I mean Macintosh. And no, there is very little support for Macintosh.

I know they do not recognize Safari and insist on FireFox or Internet Explorer.

Just a few moments ago, I tried FireFox. From the BKBK homepage, trying to Log On results in a new blank empty page. So, no log on from the homepage in FireFox.

IE is very sloooow, but at least I'm able to Log On and see my account information there, and read the interminable emails from BKBK lauding their security.

However, all the menu selections at the top of the page are disabled, i.e. although visible and apparently okay, do absolutely nothing when pressed. If I want to change Preferences, or even do a Transfer at any time, I'm SOL.

I guess I'm able to log off, although usually end up with a page that says, "The page cannot be found The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

Maybe we'll go through another round of email exchanges. Wonder if anything more will be accomplished than last time.

I've used BKBK for quite a long time, but still am not happy with internet use. I get to the ATMs or my local branch when necessary, and they're always very helpful there, but the internet isn't.

Despite saying BKBK is most concerned about security, I'm surprised they really do not support the most secure OS.

Just a few moments ago, I tried FireFox. From the BKBK homepage, trying to Log On results in a new blank empty page. So, no log on from the homepage in FireFox.

IE is very sloooow, but at least I'm able to Log On and see my account information there, and read the interminable emails from BKBK lauding their security.

However, all the menu selections at the top of the page are disabled, i.e. although visible and apparently okay, do absolutely nothing when pressed. If I want to change Preferences, or even do a Transfer at any time, I'm SOL.

I guess I'm able to log off, although usually end up with a page that says, "The page cannot be found The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

Maybe we'll go through another round of email exchanges. Wonder if anything more will be accomplished than last time.

If you are who I think you are, I think last time we had the support staff try to resolve this remotely. We have a lot of MAC users (I think around 10% of the total) and as we have so many users that is a large number. We can tell who uses what from the Web Servers.

If you need to get this working then please contact me again at the Bank. If we really need to I will have somebody meet you (assuing you are in Bangkok). Thanks

If you are not who I am thinking of (I have had many contacts from ThaiVisa users) then please PM me and we can get this moving.

Edited by ianguygil

If you are who I think you are, I think last time we had the support staff try to resolve this remotely. We have a lot of MAC users (I think around 10% of the total) and as we have so many users that is a large number. We can tell who uses what from the Web Servers.

If you need to get this working then please contact me again at the Bank. If we really need to I will have somebody meet you (assuing you are in Bangkok). Thanks

If you are not who I am thinking of (I have had many contacts from ThaiVisa users) then please PM me and we can get this moving.

Oops

I just saw your PM. I will get back to you today. Off to a Live MEeting right now.

Ian

Edited by ianguygil

The only thing I would add is yes the system is very secure, and indeed I personally use it.

But you need to register a Thai mobile number with your account.

Yes you can select from a dropdown list of payees, but to add a new one you need a permanent/semi permanent Thai mobile phone number.

And BTW this is a great security feature you get SMS messages on your account activity.

Just tried to add a 3rd party account to make a payment via internet ...

An error occurred with a host server and the transaction was not processed. Please verify that the transaction was not processed.

Still a lot of room for improvement there.

Is our level 1 support online today? B)

An error occurred with a host server and the transaction was not processed. Please verify that the transaction was not processed.

Called the Hotline and pressed a few buttons to be able to talk to an operator.

Operator spoke good English, was handling the call properly and took note of the problem.

After taking down my details and holding the line for less than 5 minutes, he told me that the system was currently down, and I should try again in 15 minutes.

I did and this time it worked.

A few comments:

1: Should the bank should have already known that their system was down ?

2: If Yes, why does the internet banking application let you enter all the details of your transaction and at the last step tell you that the system in not working? Isn't it annoying?

3: Should the error message be more specific or at least let you know who to contact when it's failing?

4: When entering a 3rd party account, it could not lookup the account name automatically, but when you do a transaction from an ATM, it can. Strange?

5: Does it make sense for the bank to charge a relatively high transaction fee, when the same transaction could be done at the counter at no cost (except time and transport between the banks, of course)? Is the cost of electronic transaction higher than the cost of a person to person transaction at the branch?

Food for thought for those in charge of running the operation there. ;)

Called the Hotline and pressed a few buttons to be able to talk to an operator.

Operator spoke good English, was handling the call properly and took note of the problem.

After taking down my details and holding the line for less than 5 minutes, he told me that the system was currently down, and I should try again in 15 minutes.

I did and this time it worked.

A few comments:

1: Should the bank should have already known that their system was down ?

2: If Yes, why does the internet banking application let you enter all the details of your transaction and at the last step tell you that the system in not working? Isn't it annoying?

3: Should the error message be more specific or at least let you know who to contact when it's failing?

4: When entering a 3rd party account, it could not lookup the account name automatically, but when you do a transaction from an ATM, it can. Strange?

5: Does it make sense for the bank to charge a relatively high transaction fee, when the same transaction could be done at the counter at no cost (except time and transport between the banks, of course)? Is the cost of electronic transaction higher than the cost of a person to person transaction at the branch?

Food for thought for those in charge of running the operation there. ;)

I am in the US this week.

I contacted my staff. The 1333 number you called would have already notified them. We will get back to you directly with more information. We appreciate your feedback.

I will take more time to answer your questions on my way back home to Thailand in a couple of days. This is software. Nothing is ever perfect, but we do strive to ensure that this is as good and experience for our customers as possible. But the complexity of the IT environment in a large bank means at times there will be problems.

So we are sorry for any inconvenience. Our staff will investigate and correct ASAP. This could be a transient problem due to one of the back end systems being down. Once we have the specifics we will answer you offline and you can post whatever you feel is appropriate. Thanks

Ian

I have been using Bangkok Bank's internet banking for about 10 years.

The first 6 or 7 years, it was ok, but you could only use IE, no firefox.

Nowadays, I can use firefox, but 60% of the time it will crash (eg pull down menues usually will not work, have to call hotline, have to restart computer several times and so on).

I cannot use IE anymore when in Thailand, because it is too slow. IE from abraod works very well (but slow).

So after all, every log-in into Bangkok Bank's internet banking during the last 2 years or so is a pain in the ass. I never know how often and when the problems will show up (cannot log in, cannot log off, cannot this and cannot that), but I know that I better have 2 hours time. 1 hour is not enough for Bangkok Bank's internet banking.

It sucks.

BTW in 10 years, their internet banking service has answered the telephone once. The only way to call Bangkok Bank 02-645 5555 is pretending you want to cancel your cards, that is the only option in the menu where somneone will answer the phone. They change the menu often in order to make it difficult for customers to call. And of course, they will not answer the phone if it's late (like 10 pm), if it's raining, if it's a public or not so public holiday or whatever.

I have been using Bangkok Bank's internet banking for about 10 years.

The first 6 or 7 years, it was ok, but you could only use IE, no firefox.

Nowadays, I can use firefox, but 60% of the time it will crash (eg pull down menues usually will not work, have to call hotline, have to restart computer several times and so on).

I cannot use IE anymore when in Thailand, because it is too slow. IE from abraod works very well (but slow).

So after all, every log-in into Bangkok Bank's internet banking during the last 2 years or so is a pain in the ass. I never know how often and when the problems will show up (cannot log in, cannot log off, cannot this and cannot that), but I know that I better have 2 hours time. 1 hour is not enough for Bangkok Bank's internet banking.

It sucks.

BTW in 10 years, their internet banking service has answered the telephone once. The only way to call Bangkok Bank 02-645 5555 is pretending you want to cancel your cards, that is the only option in the menu where somneone will answer the phone. They change the menu often in order to make it difficult for customers to call. And of course, they will not answer the phone if it's late (like 10 pm), if it's raining, if it's a public or not so public holiday or whatever.

We have thousands of users on FIREFOX and they are fine. We have hundreds of thousands on IE and they are fine. The prior poster who had a problem spoke to my staff who stepped him through the setup steps and it was fine.So if you really want to sort this out please PM me and we will get in touch with you via my Bank email ID. We willl help you sort out the problem and you can post whatever you want on this site.

If you want to call the Bank you use 1333. That has been the contact number for years. It is in all our advertising and is on the Website.

Others with complaints have confirmed that if you call 1333 you can get our staff and that they speak English well. So please call that number if you do not want to deal with me. I have never heard of anybody saying before that they cannot get an answer from our staff on the phone.

Edited by ianguygil