Phuket Murder Suspect Lee Aldhouse Faces Swift Extradition From UK

webfact

Phuket murder suspect Lee Aldhouse faces swift extradition from UK

phuket-1-NqfPocp.jpg

Intranee Sumawong, Executive Director of International Affairs at the Office of the Attorney General in Bangkok

PHUKET: -- The Office of the Attorney General (OAG) in Bangkok has petitioned UK authorities to place Lee Aldhouse under provisional arrest when he is released from Wormwood Scrubs Prison in London on September 24.

Mr Aldhouse, 28, is wanted for the stabbing murder of former US Marine Dashawn Longfellow in Rawai on August 14. The incident occurred after a brawl between the two earlier that night.

Mr Aldhouse was arrested at Heathrow Airport on arrival in the UK under an outstanding warrant issued after he fled the country while out on bail for a previous offense.

Sources told the Gazette he worked as a bouncer in Spain for a number of years before making his way to Thailand.

Prosecutor Intranee Sumawong, OAG Executive Director of International Affairs, told the Gazette, “To compile the application as quickly as possible, we asked for his provisional arrest as we have a treaty between us, but we need to provide evidence of who Aldhouse is and what he is wanted for.

“We also filed a prosecution order, as they want to make sure we will prosecute him after he is transferred to us.”

She explained the application was made through diplomatic channels, via the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

“The file is probably now at the Home Office. How long it takes depends on them,” she said.

Ms Intranee pointed out that extraditing Mr Aldhouse was a delicate matter.

“The British will not extradite their citizens to any country for charges that include execution as punishment. So in the case of Lee, who is facing a charge of premeditated murder, we have to be especially careful."

“The Thai government probably will have to give assurance to the British government that he will not face execution, but that doesn’t mean he will not be punished,” she said.

Such an “assurance” is likely to be a pardon from execution to “something like life imprisonment,” she said.

Chalong Police Superintendent Wichit Intorrasorn, the leading officer in the murder investigation in Phuket, said, “This is the fastest extradition case in 10 years. American authorities and the victim’s family are happy with our efforts. Right now it depends on England when he will be sent to us.”

Mr Aldhouse’s girlfriend, who has confessed to playing a key role in helping the fugitive escape Thailand, has agreed to testify against Mr Aldhouse and to cooperate with the police in building their case against him, he said.

Phuket Provincial Prosecutor Tawan Sukyiran earlier told the Gazette Mr Aldhouse will likely face assault charges against his girlfriend, whom he allegedly beat while she was asleep in bed. That incident happened at an undisclosed time before the night of the stabbing.

Mr Aldhouse’s girlfriend, from the northeast province of Udon Thani, was left with bruises on her face, broken ribs and damaged kidneys, Mr Tawan said.

Mr Aldhouse also faces a lesser charge of theft from a 7-Eleven store, he added.

The Englishman was caught on CCTV demanding knives from terrified workers at the convenience store before the fatal altercation with Mr Longfellow.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-09-17

Such an "assurance" is likely to be a pardon from execution to "something like life imprisonment," she said.

that why me thinks he wont be back, i can hardly see this going down with the courts in England

The extradition will go ahead. The death penalty wont make a difference - the thai govt. will just give an assurance it wont apply and instead pledge to jail him for life.

The bottom line is the British government has a SIGNED extradition treaty with thailand- lee will be spending 20 years in a thai prison in the near future-

The extradition will go ahead. The death penalty wont make a difference - the thai govt. will just give an assurance it wont apply and instead pledge to jail him for life.

The bottom line is the British government has a SIGNED extradition treaty with thailand- lee will be spending 20 years in a thai prison in the near future-

but will they build a strong enough case to get him back to thailand is a whole different kettle of fish.....

Do they have any DNA evidence that links him to the murder yet? , the uk courts will through out the evidence from the GF for sure , the CCTV images are not clear enough to use in a court of law in the UK ... the Thai Police thought they had him in Thailand, thus probably didnt do a proper investigation that would be credible to the UK justice system.

Even with a treaty in Place, The evidence also needs to be in place ..

but will they build a strong enough case to get him back to thailand is a whole different kettle of fish.....

Do they have any DNA evidence that links him to the murder yet? , the uk courts will through out the evidence from the GF for sure , the CCTV images are not clear enough to use in a court of law in the UK ... the Thai Police thought they had him in Thailand, thus probably didnt do a proper investigation that would be credible to the UK justice system.

I would say the GF is the key.. if she sings, hes up the creek.. If shes stays schtum, I think it will be very hard to get him here.. Once here they dont need evidence to convict, they will just do it based on perception.

I would say the GF is the key.. if she sings, hes up the creek.. If shes stays schtum, I think it will be very hard to get him here.. Once here they dont need evidence to convict, they will just do it based on perception.

I would say the GF is the key.. if she sings, hes up the creek.. If shes stays schtum

his defence lawyer will most likly bring up the fact she was ' bullied ' into make a confession

Once here they dont need evidence to convict, they will just do it based on perception.

Again, this will be brought up, a treaty is no good if he is return only to face a shambled trail, again his defence lawyer will bring this up..

i as much as anyone would like to see him face justice, but i just dont think it will happen . As with thailand, to convict you dont need bundles of evindence, but in the UK you do.

I can't really see how any western country can justify extraditing one of their citizens to Thailand considering that any great amount of time spent in a Thai prison is tantamount to cruel and unusual punishment by western standards. Many are quick to claim "They get what they deserve" but regardless of what some may think of a convicted felon, in the west even the worst convicted criminals have the rights to not live in what is essentially a life of constant torture, abuse and neglect, an existence none of you reading this could even imagine. A place where losing ones mind and death from simple infection are common place. (Google 4000 days to get an idea of what I am talking about)

front_a.jpg14170a.jpg

I can't really see how any western country can justify extraditing one of their citizens to Thailand considering that any great amount of time spent in a Thai prison is tantamount to cruel and unusual punishment by western standards. Many are quick to claim "They get what they deserve" but regardless of what some may think of a convicted felon, in the west even the worst convicted criminals have the rights to not live in what is essentially a life of constant torture, abuse and neglect, an existence none of you reading this could even imagine. A place where losing ones mind and death from simple infection are common place. (Google 4000 days to get an idea of what I am talking about)

front_a.jpg14170a.jpg

Are you saying that some scumbag such as this jerk or any of the hundreds of others on earth that commit serious offenses such as murder and rape actually deserve to have a life , after the trial, and found guilty????

Life sentence in thai style jail is the only treatment for them...suffer in hel_l..think about their actions all day and every day,!!! Serious crime=serious time!

Most western style jails are more like 2 star guest houses now,and thats why there are so many 'repeat offenders'' they actually like it in there .on release they simply 're-offend'' and back to their home away from home they go......thats not a case of the punishment fitting the crime is it? or do you think it is?

I had a best mate murdered in 1993,, left behind 2 kids and loving wife with nothing...only memories..

The dog who coldbloodedly murdered him for a lousy 500 bucks is now a free man..released 2 months ago in secret..

Sadly for him, i doubt if he gets to see xmas again...

As with this poor yank, there are many freinds who will do exactly what the 'justice system' failed to do........eye for an eye!!!

If you really believe as you posted above, you need to take a long hard look at yourself bud..

Put yourself in the family and friends shoes and think about it again :angry:

front_a.jpg14170a.jpg

Are you saying that some scumbag such as this jerk or any of the hundreds of others on earth that commit serious offenses such as murder and rape actually deserve to have a life , after the trial, and found guilty????

"to have a life" is a broad term, so that is hard to respond to. I wasn't talking about Aldhouse specifically, but of the extradition and Thai prison systems in general. My point is I don't happen to believe in torture. Time in a Thai prison is torture, plain and simple. It may make you personally feel good but it is not what is best for society. More on that below.

Life sentence in thai style jail is the only treatment for them...suffer in hel_l..think about their actions all day and every day,!!! Serious crime=serious time!

Most western style jails are more like 2 star guest houses now,and thats why there are so many 'repeat offenders'' they actually like it in there .on release they simply 're-offend'' and back to their home away from home they go......thats not a case of the punishment fitting the crime is it? or do you think it is?

I had a best mate murdered in 1993,, left behind 2 kids and loving wife with nothing...only memories..

The dog who coldbloodedly murdered him for a lousy 500 bucks is now a free man..released 2 months ago in secret..

Sadly for him, i doubt if he gets to see xmas again...

As with this poor yank, there are many freinds who will do exactly what the 'justice system' failed to do........eye for an eye!!!

If you really believe as you posted above, you need to take a long hard look at yourself bud..

Put yourself in the family and friends shoes and think about it again :angry:

I was talking about all people in Thai prison. So I need to take a long look at myself because I am capable of compassion and empathy for other humans? Hmmm..interesting position there.

I am sorry for your loss, but you show precisely why legislation should be kept out of the hands of families and friends of victims. Where emotion rules, reason is lost.

Your example of your friend is at one far end of the spectrum of offenders, and again I was speaking in general terms about the living conditions for ALL inmates incarcerated in Thai prisons, not only the worst murderers and rapists. It makes perfect sense for you, as an individual affected by a such a violent crime committed by an violent and evil person to find comfort in the idea of him suffering greatly. I can't blame you for that. I would feel the same way. But we can't make policy based on these emotions. It is not, thankfully, the policy of westernized countries to subject prisoners to the kind of torture, abuse and neglect seen in the Thai, and indeed other developing countries, prisons. There is a reason why don't chop peoples hands off for stealing anymore. (Well, most places don't)

I ask you, what of the rest of the prison population that are there for minor offenses, or drug offenses for which long sentences are now handed out, sometimes just for possession for personal use. Does the punishment fit the crime there? Do they deserve to live in utter hel_l or die a slow and painful death from disease? How about the known percentage of innocent people falsely imprisoned? (The number of death penalty recipients (I.E. sentence carried out) in the U.S. who have been exonerated of their crime through DNA or other evidence is in the double digits.)

As you mentioned, your friends killer has been released. Did you consider that the same is true of 99% of prisoners? These prisoners who will have to rejoin society again. How can you justify their miserable abusive living conditions when they will inevitably be released back into society, after probably losing their minds, with no rehabilitation or skills to find work so they don't re-offend. You may have gained some momentary joy at the thought of his suffering, but society will be a whole lot worse off. The "warehousing vs. rehabilitation" argument is an old one, but what is known is that most offenders, if not all, greatly reduce their chance of recidivism if they are provided the tools, education and mental health care to better prepare themselves after release.

So the question is, can you put aside your own lust for revenge in order to have a safer society, and prison populations while not living in comfort, at least living humanly, and given a chance to find gainful employment upon release? Marginally better than the soi dogs down at PAWS at least?

As for this case, if I may play armchair lawyer for a moment, everything I have read about this Aldhouse prick leads me to believe that he is one evil dude, and I won't be shedding a tear for him whatever happens to him. But in the end, generally speaking, this was a bar room brawl got out of hand, which the defense will be quick to point out. Courts do treat "heat of passion" crimes more leniently than say a murder/robbery. Mr. Aldhouse's attorneys will likely request leniency by pointing out that witnesses claim Longfellow had just whipped his ass, and use that as a defense, claiming Aldhouse was in an altered mental state. People have gotten off with manslaughter using this approach. They'll claim he just wanted, ironically, an "eye for an eye". On the other hand, there was also a report I read that said Aldhouse laid in wait at Longfellows house, which potentially could make it premeditated murder.

• Like 2

This worthless muay thai tosspot will play the EU human rights act for all its worth to stay away from a Thai prison. Lets hope that now the pathetically weak and useless Labour Government has been kicked out of office the new Government will simply send this man back to face justice swiftly.

front_a.jpg14170a.jpg

I cannot seem to reply in the box of your reply to me [ too many something or others it tells me!!] so will reply here ...easier:)

Your comments re the life and times in a Thai prison are factually correct...no doubt about it, it is near hel_l on earth to be incarcerated there for a ''petty crime such as small drug deals etc] but murderers and rapists and pedo's deserve every day in hel_l IMO...

Knowing that the conditions are so attrocious has prevented me [ a scorner of crime and punishment, or lack of in the west ] from doing anything anywhere near a crime in LOS!!

Anyone with half a brain even can balance the 'joy of the moment' against the fear of punishment and simply be a good boy! easy as IMO !

If you haven't already, maybe you could start a group to help these poor fools who mainly have been imprisoned for THEIR own mistakes in society . Many things in LOS legal

system are 'cruel and unusual compared to Western society, but we are living in Thailand huh! We are visiters here and as such must obey the hosts rules, right or wrong, in your

opinion, but thats the facts.If you cant do the time...dont do the crime...works for me! You can waste all your life 24/7 pointing out just how atrocious life inside a Thai joint is and help

the incarcerated as much as you like...ain't going to change things one iota!!

Now..regarding this from you:

''I was talking about all people in Thai prison. So I need to take a long look at myself because I am capable of compassion and empathy for other humans? Hmmm..interesting position there. ''

But the real issue here is not ''all people in thai prison'' ;It is about The planned extradition to LOS for mr scumbag

The delightfull excuse for a human being even with his 'roid-riddled ' braincells ,he understood the result of his actions would mean going into the Thai system and all the hel_l that

you and other do-gooders are so offended by...thats why he ran like a rat!

Back to old blighty mate..do the time in nice digs...cups of tea all round !what ! Gosh chaps the tellys on the blink...heelllooo warder bring us a new telly would ya...manchester

game is on soon and ...golly , would hate to miss the kick-off what!

I applaud you if you want to help ,in some way, the many in thai jails and doing HARDTIME for relatively minor offenses, thats your prerogative, but in this case [ and thats what

this thread is about] you are way off track .

This guy and all others who commit serious crime, and have been prooven guilty by their peers deserve absolutely no compassion at all !! Bring him back and if he is found guilty

as charged he should be tucked up in his multi- shared hel_l hole here in LOS forever ...for life!! No remand, no nothing!

He alone made the choice to do what he did...now he pays big time.

Many people [and i used to ] think the death penalty is the answer in theses types of cases..its not, its far too easy for the perps...do the time first and then put him down like a dog.

My late mates family and i would say , the majority of victems families, including MR Longfellows would strongly push for such treatment. Every birthday, every anniversary, every day

for ever, the victems are reminded of their loss, it never goes away !! And the victem doesn't come back!

Whatever happens to a perp..death penalty or life in LOS jail can give a momentary lift to us that justice has been done...but can never, ever bring back the life and love that a

murderer has taken away. :realangry:

Edited by jamesie
  • Like 1

Boater,

He won't be tried in the UK but in Thailand.

All is needed to extradite him is enough evidence to convince a court there is a case against him. And that is there without a doubt.

I think he will be extradited, and after a few years will be returned to the UK to fulfill the rest of his sentence there, so after 10 years jail he'll be walking about free in the UK.

jamesie, on 2010-09-18 09:59, said:

"to have a life" is a broad term, so that is hard to respond to. I wasn't talking about Aldhouse specifically, but of the extradition and Thai prison systems in general. My point is I don't happen to believe in torture. Time in a Thai prison is torture, plain and simple. It may make you personally feel good but it is not what is best for society. More on that below.

ScubaBudda posted 2010-09-18 13:36

As for this case, if I may play armchair lawyer for a moment, everything I have read about this Aldhouse prick leads me to believe that he is one evil dude, and I won't be shedding a tear for him whatever happens to him. But in the end, generally speaking, this was a bar room brawl got out of hand, which the defense will be quick to point out. Courts do treat "heat of passion" crimes more leniently than say a murder/robbery. Mr. Aldhouse's attorneys will likely request leniency by pointing out that witnesses claim Longfellow had just whipped his ass, and use that as a defense, claiming Aldhouse was in an altered mental state. People have gotten off with manslaughter using this approach. They'll claim he just wanted, ironically, an "eye for an eye". On the other hand, there was also a report I read that said Aldhouse laid in wait at Longfellows house, which potentially could make it premeditated murder.

'Heat of passion' does not apply here- tghe fight ended they both went there separate ways. Later on- after thinking/planning- lee stole knives from a shop and went all the way to the victims condo.

The CCTV images PLUS testimony from those who are also on the CCTV (7-11 staff, 3 farangs in the picture, his ex gf- will be plenty. DNA- i imagine there is plenty on the knives but there is a witness in any case (victims gf plus possibly others at the condo i imagine. This is an easy case in terms of proving enough for extradition.

If he gets extradicted a lot of libs on here are gonna be crying in their beer.

Their deepest hope was that this cold blooded murderer would not have to face justice.

Your remarks are pretty offensive to the posters who are mainly discussing the UK and European legal systems. We who are from these areas are of the opinion that the extradition will not be so clear cut.. I think that everyone agrees that if he is guilty,bearing in mind that he has a right to a fair trial like all the rest of us, that he should get the deserved sentence. I have personally not read in to any of the postings thoughts that he should get leniency. Murder is just that and he should get the appropriate sentence when tried and found guilty.

I would be very surprised if he is back in Thailand by the 24th of this month, as stated in the Thai reports.

Cheers, Rick