Raw Pork Anyone?

exterminator

wish to seek some advice from more seasoned and thai exposed members here: has anyone tried raw pork? here in the north, it seems to be a delicacy. minced (by hand and chopper) raw with fresh pig's blood freely mixed into it. father in law eats it every night and has been trying to goad me into trying it...but, yikes! i read somewhere in some chinese saying that eating raw pork can make one insane (i know father in law is)...but any truth in this? and anyone tried this? seems to as popular as poo pla la in isaan!

if you have proof that it's fresh and not cut with a dirty knife, go for it.

I only eat Tartar (raw) meat or fish in restaurants where the cheapest plate is 30$ and never in thailand unless its a good sushi place.

Tartar (beef) and sushi (fish) - raw - i have tried. But tartar pork...????? i think your stomach is stronger than mine.

its called larb moo and can be served raw or cooked it's normally washed down with a few glasses of lao khao that might kill off the bacteria if you are lucky. :D

i think you have the answer...it's the lao khao! he polishes it off with a small bottle everytime. not that you have convinced me tho....."if you are lucky"???

its called larb moo and can be served raw or cooked it's normally washed down with a few glasses of lao khao that might kill off the bacteria if you are lucky. :D

i think you have the answer...it's the lao khao! he polishes it off with a small bottle everytime. not that you have convinced me tho....."if you are lucky"???

It's mixed with chilli's and lime juice the lime cooks the meat with its acids - it tastes really good, I eat it on ocassion and I'm relativly sane :crazy:

been eating raw pork, freshly slaughtered (in front of my eyes usually) raw pig's blood etc... here in israel of all places (i obviously dont keep kosher) ; the thai workers order live pigs from a christian arab village in north and then we get pork... there is one disease parasite from pigs, however the ones i eat have been vet checked... not so sure about in thailand though... where animal husbandry is hit/miss.. so zoonoes from raw food could be problematic... still alive and kicking as per latest blood tests.... never had stomach problems or anything either...

moving to food forum

Nope, tried it once, I didn't realise it was raw pork until it was already heading south, it was that heavily coated with spices you would have sworn it was cooked.... long story short.... I didn't stray more than 10 meters from the toilet for around three days.

And sorry, the original nope in this post, the Lao Khao makes no difference to a western stomach, trust me on that one.

I could try it again now as my body has sampled it once and should have built up a resistance to the nasties....., nah..... better not.

been eating raw pork, freshly slaughtered (in front of my eyes usually) raw pig's blood etc... here in israel of all places (i obviously dont keep kosher) ; the thai workers order live pigs from a christian arab village in north and then we get pork... there is one disease parasite from pigs, however the ones i eat have been vet checked... not so sure about in thailand though... where animal husbandry is hit/miss.. so zoonoes from raw food could be problematic... still alive and kicking as per latest blood tests.... never had stomach problems or anything either...

moving to food forum

The biggest problem I'd be worried about is not bacteria, but the Trichinosis parasite. If the pig is infected, then it doesn't really matter how freshly slaughtered it was when eaten raw. Since I'd like to avoid this parasite, I avoid eating raw pork. This article, Trichinosis: epidemiology in Thailand., states "The outbreaks were more common in the northern areas, especially in rural areas where people ate raw or under-cooked pork and/or wild animals." I wonder if it is the larb moo in particular they are talking about.

Every once in a while there is a news report about raw pork being served at a wedding party or something similar and dozens of people end up hospitalized. I think I'll stay away from it, laab moo tastes great cooked no reason to tempt fate

Every once in a while there is a news report about raw pork being served at a wedding party or something similar and dozens of people end up hospitalized. I think I'll stay away from it, laab moo tastes great cooked no reason to tempt fate

Yes, I had read about probably the same wedding party. They made it the night before the wedding and then didn't refrigerate it.

I have eaten it. It's raw pork meat, liver, blood, mixed with a lot of Thai chilies and lime juice, usually eaten with sticky rice. The cooked version is pork meat, and pork uterus, lemon grass, garlic and chillies. Two completely different dishes...

I've eaten it a couple of times , and also the beef and the duck variaty . The duck is by far the best tasting one , with a taste which comes close to the meat together with chestnut ( although they are certainly not inside ) . All the times i've eaten them i saw them make it and i knew there were fresh . Are they healthy , well i do not know, but where i am from ( Belgium ) we do eat raw beef and raw pork also . Raw duck i never saw before but duck by itself is not so popular here anyway . Am i scared of it ... well only a littlebit . It is the family making it and eating the biggest part so who am i to question the thing which they make . I would not eat it from a shop .

Well I must not be in the "right sense" of mind, whatever that may be, as I've eaten it many times over the past fifteen years and am still alive and kicking.

If you are worried about what an animal eats affecting you via the meat I'd suggest you go vegetarian, but beware the ascaris. :ph34r::ermm:

How about the living prawn salad? Now there's something to get your bowels loosened up.

Yes, I ate that as well. Only once though.

• Like 1

Whoa, these adventurous food tales are great:

"Yeah, one time, up near the Lao border, I tried Yam Shick Lao (used razor blade salad); not too spicy, but a bit sharp for my taste... I lived through it... "

Don't do it, man! Run like the wind...!

:bah:

Edited by Michaelaway

Whoa, these adventurous food tales are great:

"Yeah, one time, up near the Lao border, I tried Yam Shick Lao (used razor blade salad); not too spicy, but a bit sharp for my taste... I lived through it... "

Don't do it, man! Run like the wind...!

:bah:

Shouldn't that be 'runs like the wind'

My ex wife was Lab Technician and during her training was shown raw pork under a microscope and how bacteria spread.

As the chilled pork got to room temp the bacteria became active and as the temp increased by degrees they multiplied so rapidly that she said the whole surface was covered in an instant and they just kept multiplying........like something out of a horror movie.

Have always been careful of pork since then, and wouldn't go near raw pork.

It would appear that raw meat/fish etc can be comparatively safe to eat after being frozen at or below 4 degrees for at least 24 hours , that proccess aparantly kills off bacteria , the Japanese , however , poo-poo that safety measure and eat raw , fresh fish . As an end result , thousands suffer each year from illness brought on by this prefference , Thai tend to grow immune to many forms of sickness that a farang could suffer from, simply because they build up immunuty from birth , even when breast feeding , now look up the statistics for children dying before the age of five , often from 'Unknown ' causes . There is also the inherant problem that shows no real effects , WORMS , how many villagers have them ?

There is also the inherant problem that shows no real effects , WORMS , how many villagers have them ?

Well having had an infestation of ascaris and thus reading up on it I can say that it is estimated that around 1.2 billion (1,200,000,000) people worldwide have it. That's around 20% of the world population but as it is more prevalent in tropical countries and amongst the poor you can reckon on probably 50% of rural folk.

And that's just one parasitic worm.

One mebendazole every three months ensures I don't carry them around too long.

It's mixed with chilli's and lime juice the lime cooks the meat with its acids - it tastes really good, I eat it on ocassion and I'm relativly sane :crazy:

It's also not what westerners would consider a typical cut of meat (e.g., loin, chop, shoulder, butt, etc.). It's usually the innards (heart & liver) and heavily seasoned with herbs and spice. The village men believe it is good for the pecker. I tried some with them. Not a real fan of it, but it was a social occasion.

Like many cultures, the Thai do not throw anything away from the carcass. Everything is cooked, eaten or used in one form or another.

Edited by Spee

Sushi correctly means "with rice", although as rice eaten in this form is flavored with vinegar it also means soured.

Raw fish is called sashimi.

Yes, you are correct. my slip. and to add, maybe the sake kills some of the bacteria in raw fish as the japnese usually wash it down with sake,

Well I must not be in the "right sense" of mind, whatever that may be, as I've eaten it many times over the past fifteen years and am still alive and kicking.

If you are worried about what an animal eats affecting you via the meat I'd suggest you go vegetarian, but beware the ascaris. :ph34r::ermm:

How about the living prawn salad? Now there's something to get your bowels loosened up.

Yes, I ate that as well. Only once though.

I don't think I've seen living prawn salad, but I have eaten raw prawns marinated in lime juice and thai chili peppers. I only eat it if my Thai neighbor makes it though. Never had a problem, quite tasty! That reminds me, I need to give him a couple of hundred Baht to make some as well as some squid sashimi! I'm off the raw pork, I didn't like it very much anyway.