Using Uk Electrical Stuff In Los

mark131v

Hi ladies and gents,

just a quick one,hopefully, we are looking to move to LOS early next year and are looking to bring a container of stuff with us.

Has anybody had experience of doing this and more specifically can anyone tell me if UK TV sets X boxes etc work in LOS

Any information gratefully accepted

vmt Mark

The voltage is the same in Thailand as in the UK 220V 50Hz

You can buy adapter plugs as Thai ones are only two pins.

The TV will work with the X-box, dvd players, satellite receivers etc,

but probably not for normal TV signals, a different system.

However I doubt you will want to watch those.

You will be able to import your goods duty free if you are arriving to work, with a work permit.

Otherwise it is best to talk to a Thai shipping agent who will be able to negotiate

a door to door price, including a "fee" for the customs.

Those guys do like to drink tea......... :whistling:

You might want to add a large UPS to your list, as despite the voltages being the same, the current handling and the regulation of your supply, can be somewhat "erratic" to say the least.

We were on the so called 230V or whatever it is supposed to be, varied between 220 and 240V since I have been here, however, it also depends on how many people are using the line near to your transformer...we used to get down to 179V of an evening if you put the shower heater on, enough to make your PC roll over and die!

• Like 1

Off topic slightly - if you are bringing a container over, fill it up with Daddies sauce, jammy dodgers, ginger nuts, Ribena, ruddles beer etc etc.

All the silly stuff that you take for granted in the UK that has a long shelf life. It does not add to the cost of the container. Some things you cannot get here, or they are disproportionally expensive

Do not under-estimate the advice above - use a Thai shipping agent for a door to door price. Bribes, sorry I mean tea money, are a part of life in the container port.

Again, good advice about the commercial UPS/voltage regulator. Bangkok is usually OK, but anywhere else.....

You can't use a UK TV in LoS as the decoder is not compatible, even though the voltage may be the same. There are decoders applicable to various countries around the world, and I think one that covers Asia. The USA has one of it's own. Not sure about DVD players either so try checking with the manufacturer they will almost certainly be happy to answer those queries.

Shipped a container load from the UK over here 4 years ago and the only problem was the packers did not do a brilliant job and some small items were lost, such as matchiing saucepan lids! However, the insurance claim for various items damaged due to inadequate packing was a big headache. For instance the top of a 6 foot rosewood veneered desk could not be repaired as rosewood just isn't available in LoS and a solid wood German dining table had gouges in it. Of course everyone denied liability! You have 6 months to get your personal items here without having to pay any import charges, after your arrival.

You can ignore the number of electrical items allowed, on the permitted list. I bought everything including fridge/freezer, washing machine, dishwasher, computers and peripherals, small domestic appliances and power tools, etc. You can buy multi-way adaptors that take various 2 and 3 pin plugs including UK ones so no need to change plugs, they're usually available from large Home improvement stores. Also single adaptors are available both here and in UK electrical outlets.

We have no problems with large voltage drops up here in Isaan although spikes and dropouts are not uncommon particularly during electrical storms. Have not resorted to an UPS as it's an expensive item and so far nothing has been blown up! Did buy a surge protector from my local friendy electrical shop as the owner is fully clued up on most things electrical.

Edited by Anon999

the analog hertz channels will work perfectly at least for the video part, the audio might be a problem if your TV can't doesn't "understand" PAL2. <-- this is highly not gonna happen as tv since 15 years are multi standard in europe(not in america).

i think previous posters are confused as the japan and a lot of other asian countries do use NTSC.

Edited by NHJ

leave it all at home, Dude.

Buy anything here cheaper and it will all work, MUCH less hassle!

(but DON'T forget the goodies sagely advised by K Tropicalevo, or you'll spend your time here regretting it dearly)

Thats what I did, put most of it in my dads garage & take a bit back with me every time in my luggage when I visit.

I think te confusion on the TV working is purely on the tuner side for over-the-air channels.

Anything plugging into a composite, component, HDMI or Scart will work here with no problems.

What you won't be able to do is pick up all of the Thai TV broadcasts (as some broadcast on VHF, which the UK never used for PAL transmissions), and even if you did get some channels, you probably don't have the button on your remote to switch between broadcast languages (i.e. US TV is dubbed into Thai, but you can often switch to the original soundtrack).

One issue with leaving the TV at home and just taking the other stuff is that if you're using Scart connectors you'll probably need new cables as Scart isn't found much outside Europe.

You can't use a UK TV in LoS as the decoder is not compatible, even though the voltage may be the same. There are decoders applicable to various countries around the world, and I think one that covers Asia. The USA has one of it's own. Not sure about DVD players either so try checking with the manufacturer they will almost certainly be happy to answer those queries.

Shipped a container load from the UK over here 4 years ago and the only problem was the packers did not do a brilliant job and some small items were lost, such as matchiing saucepan lids! However, the insurance claim for various items damaged due to inadequate packing was a big headache. For instance the top of a 6 foot rosewood veneered desk could not be repaired as rosewood just isn't available in LoS and a solid wood German dining table had gouges in it. Of course everyone denied liability! You have 6 months to get your personal items here without having to pay any import charges, after your arrival.

You can ignore the number of electrical items allowed, on the permitted list. I bought everything including fridge/freezer, washing machine, dishwasher, computers and peripherals, small domestic appliances and power tools, etc. You can buy multi-way adaptors that take various 2 and 3 pin plugs including UK ones so no need to change plugs, they're usually available from large Home improvement stores. Also single adaptors are available both here and in UK electrical outlets.

We have no problems with large voltage drops up here in Isaan although spikes and dropouts are not uncommon particularly during electrical storms. Have not resorted to an UPS as it's an expensive item and so far nothing has been blown up! Did buy a surge protector from my local friendy electrical shop as the owner is fully clued up on most things electrical.

..you can pick up a new 21" telly here for under 3,000 baht !!

I think te confusion on the TV working is purely on the tuner side for over-the-air channels.

Anything plugging into a composite, component, HDMI or Scart will work here with no problems.

What you won't be able to do is pick up all of the Thai TV broadcasts (as some broadcast on VHF, which the UK never used for PAL transmissions), and even if you did get some channels, you probably don't have the button on your remote to switch between broadcast languages (i.e. US TV is dubbed into Thai, but you can often switch to the original soundtrack).

One issue with leaving the TV at home and just taking the other stuff is that if you're using Scart connectors you'll probably need new cables as Scart isn't found much outside Europe.

Scart connectors before you leave buy the adaptors, my 2 DVD players, 2 Video Players, 2 Dreamboxes and satellite positioner are all connected via Scart adaptor to Thai Plasma TV's..

Do bring your glass cooking oven bowls.. very very expensive here.

If you are bringing you Printer check it is a model sold here? or bring lots of new ink cartridge, as impossible to buy here and a pain to have to order from UK and hope they arrive.

Maybe make a Post asking people what they wish that had brought with them, and cannot buy here or very expensive..

the analog hertz channels will work perfectly at least for the video part, the audio might be a problem if your TV can't doesn't "understand" PAL2. <-- this is highly not gonna happen as tv since 15 years are multi standard in europe(not in america).

i think previous posters are confused as the japan and a lot of other asian countries do use NTSC.

FYI: Thailand also used NTSC until the switch to color broadcasting was made and is one of the primary reasons multi system sets have always been the norm here. As for the USA they do not use analog anymore but you are right the US never had multi system sets on general sale due to the huge market making the few cents saved worthwhile (and is why prices for most such goods are cheaper in the US even when imported from the other side of the world).

I would caution that the making of some items, such as refrigerators, may be for the area they are to be used in and those designed for the high temperature of Thailand will have a stronger cooling system.

Some conflicting advice here, I will just recount my experience.

Moved from the UK around 5 years ago, I had a house full of stuff that I was not going to throw or give away. Cost about 1,500 GBP in total to ship here and pay the tea money, realistically I could have replaced it all for a similar or lesser amount.

Regardless of that, EVERYTHING worked (and some still is working 5 years later) absolutely fine.

As mentioned earlier there is a lack of scart connections on most things here (think about your sattelite box etc), but you can get scart adapters (for those 3 pin coloured things they have here).

One tip that has proved very convenient, go to B&Q or similar and but 4 or 5 of those 4 way extension leads. You then only need 4 or 5 adaptors to fit the Thai sockets, and can plug all your gear straight in to the extensions. I have them all around the house, guests from the UK find it handy also for charging their phones, using hairdryers etc.

Oh, and bring pickled onion Monster Munch :D

Thanks for all the information it gives me some food for thought. Reference just leaving and buying new, yes we could do that but we are attached to our furniture and do not want to get rid of it. QED thanks for your input, can you remember which shipping you used? £1500 sounds pretty reasonable. As for the TV bit will probably keep it and use it for DVDs Games etc. Does anyone know what you are looking to pay for a decent large LCD TV as i have noticed that quite a lot of electrical and white goods appear to be expensive

many thanks Mark

http://www.powerbuy.co.th

Is basically the Thai equivalent of Currys and although they don't really have high end stuff, it'll give you an idea of what sort of prices to expect.

And yes - PS3/Xbox360/Wii if bought from the non grey-market retailers are SERIOUSLY expensive here, and games cost an absolute fortune. (PS3 games are global, but Blu-ray movies have region coding. Not sure about the games for the others.)

Large screen TVs are also more expensive here but their prices drop so fast that by the time you ship them over, the price may have dropped to the same as the UK (and you avoid the risk of shipping - plasmas especially can be very fragile in transit...).

http://www.powerbuy.co.th

Is basically the Thai equivalent of Currys and although they don't really have high end stuff, it'll give you an idea of what sort of prices to expect.

And yes - PS3/Xbox360/Wii if bought from the non grey-market retailers are SERIOUSLY expensive here, and games cost an absolute fortune. (PS3 games are global, but Blu-ray movies have region coding. Not sure about the games for the others.)

Large screen TVs are also more expensive here but their prices drop so fast that by the time you ship them over, the price may have dropped to the same as the UK (and you avoid the risk of shipping - plasmas especially can be very fragile in transit...).

Cheers Mike

tried telling the missus that but she seems to think everything in LOS is cheap, still what do I know

vmt Mark

Thailand also used NTSC until the switch to color broadcasting was made

How long ago was that?????????????

Pre 1983 to my knowledge.

Not many TV's from that era still in use.

If you are bringing all your household goods then bring the electrical items as well.

If just the electrical items, you may well be better off buying new here.

The goodies list to add is an excellent idea, but I am not sure you should include beer??

One more thing...

If your place in Thailand has the 3 pin sockets (with an earth) and not simply the old 2 pin sockets, that the Live and Neutral are the opposite way round to the UK. (Probably best to confirm this with an electrician if you think it's going to be an issue).

This doesn't stop the stuff from working, but does mean that the fuse in the plug won't be of any use. (but since most countries don't even have fuses in plugs, that might not be a big thing).

This doesn't stop the stuff from working, but does mean that the fuse in the plug won't be of any use. (but since most countries don't even have fuses in plugs, that might not be a big thing).

Close. The fuse will still open on overcurrent and remove power. BUT since it is now in the neutral the appliance will remain live and thus there is a shock hazard.

As Mike says, it's not a serious issue (as the alternative is no fuse) but worth being aware of.

Thailand also used NTSC until the switch to color broadcasting was made

How long ago was that?????????????

Pre 1983 to my knowledge.

Not many TV's from that era still in use.

((cut))

Agree that not many still in use. Believe first Color was TV3 in about 1970 but it was many years later before other stations and relays were converted to PAL B so only direct Bangkok transmissions were PAL for a number of years. The local TV made by (Tanin?) used to make units with both tuners and most imported sets were multi system.