Urgently Want To Buy I-Phone And I-Pad!

stevenhb

Hey Steven,

I actually flew to Hong Kong last week to buy the iPhone 4. It's all sold out except for stores with 3 year contracts or unofficial stores with jail broken phones.

So I didn't pick up a phone while I was there.

I ordered the phone online and had it delivered to an address I paid for 3 months in Hong Kong. Apple only ships to Hong Kong addresses in Hong Kong.

I still have the mail account there. I don't know of any other places to buy other then except online. If you stop by for 1-2 weeks, you can order it online and have it shipped to the hostel/hotel you stay at.

I bought a shipping service that will forward it to me when I receive my iPhone 4, it costs about 210 USD for 3 1/2 months (3 month mandatory contract).

Service is Regus.com.

I could always be your shipping person with my address.

Remember that iPhone4 and iPad use the microSimcard.

If your provider doesn't offer you the possibility to exchange your normal sim for a microSIM, then you will have to do some surgery on the card yourself.

http://www.iphonefreak.com/2010/06/the-iphone-4-micro-sim-situation.html

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/04/convert-mini-sim-in-to-micro-sim-for-ipad-3g-yourself/

I have seen a few posts on this subject in the past few weeks here. Some say that the Apple Store in Singapore is the best (price and availability) place to buy iPads and iPhones. There have also been some posts on iPad prices at MBK. A search might yield more details. I think the iPhone 4 is being launched here later this week (Friday?).

I have seen a few posts on this subject in the past few weeks here. Some say that the Apple Store in Singapore is the best (price and availability) place to buy iPads and iPhones. There have also been some posts on iPad prices at MBK. A search might yield more details. I think the iPhone 4 is being launched here later this week (Friday?).

iPhone 4 officially launches this week, 24 Sept. Both True and AIS are having launch parties at midnight. Invited guests can receive their iPhones at 12:01AM Thursday 24. A recent comparison by Richard Barrow shows that MBK has dropped prices on all models of iPhone 4. They are now within about 5000 baht of what the official prices will be at launch. 32gb models are going for 31000 ish I believe. Prices are now lower at MBK than in the UK, and at par with the US.

OP, you can buy all models in almost any quantity at MBK of both the phones and the pads. Be aware, they have both factory unlocked and Cydia unlocked models. Software unlocked models have Cydia installed, hardware unlocked units will not. Check first, the vendor may not know, or will lie.

Edited by floridaguy

iPhone 4 officially launches this week, 24 Sept. Both True and AIS are having launch parties at midnight. Invited guests can receive their iPhones at 12:01AM Thursday 24. A recent comparison by Richard Barrow shows that MBK has dropped prices on all models of iPhone 4. They are now within about 5000 baht of what the official prices will be at launch. 32gb models are going for 31000 ish I believe. Prices are now lower at MBK than in the UK, and at par with the US.

OP, you can buy all models in almost any quantity at MBK of both the phones and the pads. Be aware, they have both factory unlocked and Cydia unlocked models. Software unlocked models have Cydia installed, hardware unlocked units will not. Check first, the vendor may not know, or will lie.

So which is best factory or Cydia unlocked? And why. Thanks.

So which is best factory or Cydia unlocked? And why. Thanks.

Factory unlock for sure. Software unlocks are essentially a hack, a legal one, but still a hack that Apple constantly tries to disable. With a hardware unlock you never have to worry about updating your phone or pad. Apple frequently updates their software, and pushes those updates out to their devices, iPhones, iPads, and iPods. These updates can remove your software unlock and jailbreak. As happened recently, and also last year, a software update rendered software unlocked devices now unlock-able. Meaning the device will not take a SIM card, so the iPhones are now just a fancy iPod.

A factory unlocked phone costs the same as a locked phone here in Thailand, because phones prices to consumers are not subsidized by the service provider, like the US or UK. Factory unlocked devices can always to jailbroken to use non Apple software, and you can use any SIM card from anywhere in the world on them. When I went back to the US, I popped out my AIS card and popped in a prepaid card I picked up for $10 and it worked perfectly. So there is no reason to buy a software unlocked Apple device here in Thailand, unless you couldn't wait for the factory unlocked devices to appear on the market. All official iPhones sold in Thailand are factory unlocked. So those who couldn't wait until 24 Sept when they will begun being officially sold by True, AIS and DTAC, they may have bought software unlocked phones if MBK couldn't supply them with a factory unlocked phone. Software unlocked phones can be gray market phones and thus cheaper for the vendor to obtain. By gray, I mean stolen or otherwise illegally obtained from a country that subsidizes their phones. Buying an iPhone 4 for 6100 THB in the US and then selling it here for 35000 THB makes a good profit, but it is locked and must be software unlocked.

Sorry for rambling, but there is always some confusion and I have learned the hard way what to look for.

Ya you can buy factory unlocked right now from MBK, the prices on iphone 4 and ipad have dropped and are pretty good right now. I think its the 4th floor, all the little shops in front on TOKYU entrance are where to look, shop around as they have different prices at some stores, some Thais will see your white face and immediately give you an inflated price because they cant overcome their greed enough to actually make a sale, but there are plenty of Thais that recognise that if they are the first to give you a lower price they will get the sale. So keep asking all the shops to get a feel for the real price, and buy from the one that originally gave you the lowest price as reward for their honesty. At least, thats what I do.