DSI Bangkok Undecided On Releasing Red-Shirts Autopsy Results

webfact

BANGKOK VIOLENCE

DSI undecided on releasing autopsy results

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Though the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) has already received autopsy results of the 89 people killed during the recent political unrest, it has yet to decide if the information can be made public, DSI chief said yesterday.

DSI director general, Tharit Pengdit, said his agency had to first get the results verified by the Office of the Attorney-General, the Metropolitan Police Bureau and the Central Institute of Forensic Medicine.

He also encouraged members of the public as well as Pheu Thai Party who witnessed killings to come forward and testify with the DSI.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday praised new national police chief General Wichean Potephosree for ensuring that there were no untoward incidents during the red-shirt rally on Sunday held to mark the anniversary of the 2006 coup and four months since the crackdown on the red-shirt protest.

The prime minister said he expected Wichean to face tougher tasks in the future.

He also thanked all sides for helping keep order during the rally. "In all, things went smoothly. When a lot of people gather, it is always difficult to handle the situation. But there were no clashes on Sunday, and that is a good thing, so I must thank all sides," Abhisit said.

The police chief yesterday spent about 20 minutes telling the premier about the red-shirt rally. Wichean admitted that police estimate of 5,000 red-shirt demonstrators was incorrect, when the turnout was more like 10,000 people. He also noted that any large public gatherings without a leader had a good chance to getting out of control, adding that police would improve its intelligence work.

Wichean said a public demonstration act was needed to control such large crowds in the future, though at present the existing Internal Security Act could be imposed to ensure efficient crowd control.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan yesterday expressed concerns about prolonged rallies by the red shirts, though agencies in charge of security are keeping an eye out for any suspicious movements. He said the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation should be able to keep situations under control.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-21

Something is best NOT to be made public (like the Kennedy assassination). DSI is wise to lock up the files and grant no access, as the truth about the army (guardian of the nation) murder its own poor & innocent citizen in cold blood, is not going to comfort the relatives of the death. Our sorrow have pass us already, there is no need to open up the coffin to remind us about our past. Also, it might produce evidence that the army was really present on the MRT track, which is not acceptable to CRES (despite having video footage). Let all sleep on it. The truth is of no interest to anyone who want peace.

Something is best NOT to be made public (like the Kennedy assassination). DSI is wise to lock up the files and grant no access, as the truth about the army (guardian of the nation) murder its own poor & innocent citizen in cold blood, is not going to comfort the relatives of the death. Our sorrow have pass us already, there is no need to open up the coffin to remind us about our past. Also, it might produce evidence that the army was really present on the MRT track, which is not acceptable to CRES (despite having video footage). Let all sleep on it. The truth is of no interest to anyone who want peace.

There are many, I am sure, whose sorrow has not passed and who will get no peace until they know the truth. Keeping the autopsy results secret will lead many to think that the government, DSI, etc are hiding something. That will fuel mistrust. There can be no genuine reconcilliation until the truth is known, however inconvenient it might be.

• Like 2

Do you mean that anyone can kill anyone else?

If the family of the killed guy wants to know the truth, you'll tell him: "Forget it, your brother is dead, too bad, if I tell you the truth, you'll be angry, so I do not tell you anything."

Why a tribunal in Nuremberg?

If you want peace you need truth first.

All an autopsy says is how they dies. They all died from violence - we all know that already - what more could be learned from releasing that info?

It can also tell you if they were shot in the back, what weapon was used, how many times they were shot and if they were shot again after death.

Hello are you on this planet ? What on earth are you talking about ? The autopsy findings must be released, so as to find out if any were killed unlawfully (or not), and the cowards who did so brought to justice. I know this seems unlikely in a country where legal morals, human rights and justice are just a dream

Hello are you on this planet ? What on earth are you talking about ?

Take it easy - he/she is just one more troll. Check the reputation. :)

Edited by alex_aka_P
  • Like 2

IMO, it's fairly obvious that both sides had weapons and fired them. Needless to say, the army had more and caused more fatalities. I base this opinion on eye witness reporting by journalists on the scene who followed the shoot out: http://nationsstate....79-grenade.html

I'm mostly concerned by the Seh Daeng assassination and similar incidents.

I think they should release the report and that should lead the PM to form a truly independent committee (possible?) that is authorised to release all information to the public and can call in anyone for questioning. Similar to the Hutton Inquiry. The public effectively paid for the report. They have a right to know what the conclusions were, even if they are incomplete or disputable.

But alas, I think we will never have anyone own up to their actions. I think it would be more prudent to run public campaigns to support people to come forward rather than the current ones that seem to encourage people to simply "forget and leave behind". But I can not imagine any Thai would feel encouraged to do so. Nor even safe.

Edited by schmutzie

Hello are you on this planet ? What on earth are you talking about ?

Take it easy - he/she is just one more troll. Check the reputation. :)

Comon i think he/she would make a good moderator !:D

We can not return life to those dead. I wish we could. So let by gone be by gone. If the report is out, it will only show that most are killed by the soldiers and army snipers. This mean that there is a risk that Mark might be charged in international court, i.e. walked directly into the trap of Thaksin & Amsterdam. Hence these sensitive info is best kept lock up for 20 years, until the legal limit of prosecuting mark is over. Wise men say "No news is good news".

• Like 1

We can not return life to those dead. I wish we could. So let by gone be by gone. If the report is out, it will only show that most are killed by the soldiers and army snipers. This mean that there is a risk that Mark might be charged in international court, i.e. walked directly into the trap of Thaksin & Amsterdam. Hence these sensitive info is best kept lock up for 20 years, until the legal limit of prosecuting mark is over. Wise men say "No news is good news".

you're on to it samritT there have been and will be deaths in tha..and and yes sometimes it's best to sweep it all away untill another rayning day

Samrit,

you are typical of the Thai mentality to stick your head in the sand and pretend that nothing is wrong with Thailand. As a journalist and human being, I saw what happened out there during the Red Shirts protests. It was abhorent

Many innocent people died as a result of the Army's indiscriminate and sometimes deliberate attempts to gun down bystanders as well as protesters.

What about the 2 journalists that were killed? Hiro Muramoto and Fabio Pholengi? Who shot and killed them? You would just tell their families to accept the fact that they were killed and leave it at that? The Thai military is only good for killing other Thais. It happened in 1992-1976-1973.

The Thai military has never been in a modern conflict battling it out with another Armed and trained Army. Their only experience in modern warfare is killing thais and southern insurgents.

In some countries, unlike Thailand we WANT THE TRUTH! And what the hel_l do you know about the Kennedy Assassination? was Lee Harvey Oswald really half Thai?

You and your country have alot of growing up to do.

"DSI director general, Tharit Pengdit, said his agency had to first get the results verified by the Office of the Attorney-General, the Metropolitan Police Bureau and the Central Institute of Forensic Medicine."

I come from a nation where the justification of going to war was "massaged." Formal information delivered to politicians was redelivered to the public so far out of perspective that the war was started. The dead may well exceed 100,000 (many responsible organizations put the figure much higher). Today the matter of misinformation is an open secret, but buried and forgotten in the field of public debate. That is in a land that claims a "free press."

Thus the assumptions by all above that "the report" will be accurate seems curious to me. I read Attorney-General and Metropolitan Police Bureau must review it, however, and then I am reassured that no political interference will "massage" the accuracy of the reports, even though this may be the nation most committed to the activity of massage. I love it.

Edited by CMX

Is it just me? My take on SamritT's posts are that he/she is being saracstic and yet so many people seem to take his comments seriously. His/her comments are the type of thing my son would say, tongue firmly in cheek. :)

With all due respect SamritT, the truth must ALWAYS be made known. There is no gain from hiding "facts"; this just fuels mistrust and creates a web of lies.

So you would say "Oh well my sister/brother has been killed. Forget it. I don't want the Truth just Peace. I don't want to remember them just forget them"

With all due respect SamritT, the truth must ALWAYS be made known. There is no gain from hiding "facts"; this just fuels mistrust and creates a web of lies.

With all due respect the actual truth rarely if ever comes out or ever has in any event anywhere in history. At best something close to it that is acceptable to those in power, those writing history, those who won, those who have agreed a truce etc etc. At worst complete fabrications get pushed as truth. And everything is founded in a wider context which influences how any event can be portrayed.

It is going to be the same here. Even if you can show the gunmen were nothing to do with th earmy you would still never get to why they were there, who ordered it or what their motivation was and even if it could be shown it was the army you would never know exactly who oredered them there, why or what their motivation was. It is going to come to what people want to believe and that will depend on their bias, and if a society as a whiole can come to a general belief then it will become to be accepted as a truth maybe, but that doesnt make it actually a truth.

Why would we not want to know results? I for one would like to know the calibre of bullets of those 'executed' as this will lead to clarity unless they were all shot (sic) by army ordnance! I also thing DSI needs to disclose fully if ever there is going to be any transparency in this country. They have a job to do and they have an obligation to report the findings.

But by all means pass it to the PM first and then allow the public to assess and draw their own conclusions.

Is it just me? My take on SamritT's posts are that he/she is being saracstic and yet so many people seem to take his comments seriously. His/her comments are the type of thing my son would say, tongue firmly in cheek. :)

You are too charitable, he is a persistent troll on this boards, always posting inflammatory things to get a rise out of people. The name changes but the same individual (with entirely too much time in his hands and a lack of creativity to put it to better use) keeps trolling any thread related with the Red Shirts.

Why would we not want to know results? I for one would like to know the calibre of bullets of those 'executed' as this will lead to clarity unless they were all shot (sic) by army ordnance! I also thing DSI needs to disclose fully if ever there is going to be any transparency in this country. They have a job to do and they have an obligation to report the findings.

But by all means pass it to the PM first and then allow the public to assess and draw their own conclusions.

Unfortunately a lot in the public already made up their mind. Some say 'indiscriminate killing by the Army', some 'unknown black-clad men', a lonely 'peaceful protesters' and a few 'terrorists. Take your pick.

Interesting also that the DSI still urges the public and PTP who witnessed killings to come forward and testify with the DSI. I wonder why that is still necessary. Well, since one of our members had said

"I can confirm 100% seeing a guy flying a flag who was of no threat shot in the head, his head melted im sure many on here saw it, there was the nurse and those in the temple these are the higher profile MURDERS."

( )

may I suggest he reports to the DSI and helps them out ?

AW, you're right, the report must be published. Which brings us to 'how to proceed after?' :huh:

Edited by rubl

If the report is out, it will seriously discredit the government, hence Mark could get into trouble or even prison. We all know that most of the people killed are bad people, only a few innocent people are accidentally killed. I have to say sorry, but they are just unfortunate to be caught in the cross fire. If this good govt were to fall as a result, the evil govt will form, and this time, the damage will not be limited to just arson, nor 91 life. Thousand (yes, not tens, not hundreds, but thousands) were killed by Thaksin order on the war of drug; that that is just a start.

Not really on topic: Facebook seems to be blocked:

“ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก

กระทรวงเทคโนโลยีสารสนเทศและการสื่อสาร ได้มีคำสั่งให้ระงับการเผยแพร่เว็บไซด์ที่ท่านต้องการเข้าชม

เนื่องจากมีรูปภาพ ข้อความ และ เนื้อหาบางส่วนที่ไม่เหมาะสม สอบถามรายละเอียดเพิ่มเติมได้ที่

กระทรวงเทคโนโลยีสารสนเทศและการสื่อสาร โทร 0 2141 6950”

Do you have a new theory on the Kennedy case ?

5 5 5

Not really on topic: Facebook seems to be blocked:

�ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวà¸

à¸à¸£à¸°à¸—รวงเทคโนโลยีสารสนเทศà¹à¸¥à¸°à¸à¸²à¸£à¸ªà¸·à¹ˆà¸­à¸ªà¸²à¸£ ได้มีคำสั่งให้ระงับà¸à¸²à¸£à¹€à¸œà¸¢à¹à¸žà¸£à¹ˆà¹€à¸§à¹‡à¸šà¹„ซด์ที่ท่านต้องà¸à¸²à¸£à¹€à¸‚้าชม

เนื่องจาà¸à¸¡à¸µà¸£à¸¹à¸›à¸ à¸²à¸ž ข้อความ à¹à¸¥à¸° เนื้อหาบางส่วนที่ไม่เหมาะสม สอบถามรายละเอียดเพิ่มเติมได้ที่

à¸à¸£à¸°à¸—รวงเทคโนโลยีสารสนเทศà¹à¸¥à¸°à¸à¸²à¸£à¸ªà¸·à¹ˆà¸­à¸ªà¸²à¸£ โทร 0 2141 6950�

Just logged-in a minute ago. True Internet in BKK.