New Village Brit Style Chinese Place

Jingthing

If you go to www.pattayamail.com scroll down the left side and click on ALL BACK ISSUES. Go to the back issue for 10 - 16 September, # 37 and click on DINING OUT AND ENTERTAINMENT and they are doing a review of the Chirpy. I think the article mentions when the Ch**ky will be opening.

If you go to www.pattayamail.com scroll down the left side and click on ALL BACK ISSUES. Go to the back issue for 10 - 16 September, # 37 and click on DINING OUT AND ENTERTAINMENT and they are doing a review of the Chirpy. I think the article mentions when the Ch**ky will be opening.

It does not mention an opening date in the article.

Thanks! :annoyed:

They said very soon on September 12th?

post-4408-070236200 1285078011_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lite Beer

• 1 month later...

Heard from the grapevine that they're having an MOL (labor) issue. I think everything else is in place for their opening.

What's MOL? Are they actually trying to get a skilled non-Thai chef? I don't think most local Thai chefs would understand the concept so well of the food they are offering.

Heard from the grapevine that they're having an MOL (labor) issue. I think everything else is in place for their opening.

What's MOL? Are they actually trying to get a skilled non-Thai chef? I don't think most local Thai chefs would understand the concept so well of the food they are offering.

I had it on good authority that they had found a chef capable of doing the job but they wanted 50K/month salary, I am guessing they started to look for another.

I had it on good authority that they had found a chef capable of doing the job but they wanted 50K/month salary, I am guessing they started to look for another.

Oh too bad they can't pay him what he wants. It is a small place though.

OK, some time has passed.

Is it open YET?

If not, when does it open?

They are stretching the credibility of the phrase OPENING SOON!

good things come to those who wait

i believe the owner and the contractor have differing ideas of what is good work and what is not and this is causing delays

OK, some time has passed.

Is it open YET?

If not, when does it open?

They are stretching the credibility of the phrase OPENING SOON!

good things come to those who wait

i believe the owner and the contractor have differing ideas of what is good work and what is not and this is causing delays

The shop is built out and ready to open. Go see for yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

They're open for take-away and I believe that they are now open for dine-in/ So far, I've heard consistency has been a big issue. Sometimes the food is good, and sometimes not. I would give it a few months before any conclusions can be made. Based on the pics I've seen of the food (I haven't dined there myself) I won't be a customer, but this is because English-style Chinese food doesn't appeal to me. Why did the Brits colonize Hong Kong anyway, if they didn't want to import good Chinese food?

From what I can tell, British-style Chinese food is their version of PF Chang.:bah:

It is true going to new restaurants is always risky. I don't know the difference between American and British style Chinese food. However, some American Chinese standards (which they also have) can be quite good IF done well, such as beef with western broccoli, egg foo young, beef with black bean sauce. Those happen to all be variations on some actual authentic Chinese dishes, believe it or not. Fried egg rolls, the super popular western standard, is just a variety of dim sum. Chop suey (yuck!) is strictly an American invention, but invented by Chinese in America. Is that any more "inauthentic" than Thai Chinese food (which I happen not to like much)?

Edited by Jingthing

They have been open for about 3 weeks now, I have ordered twice each week since opening, both eat in and take away, I love the food, some may say otherwise, but it is fantastic to have a western chinese restaurant in pattaya. There was one other, chow soy, still going, but I rather eat dog food.

They have been open for about 3 weeks now, I have ordered twice each week since opening, both eat in and take away, I love the food, some may say otherwise, but it is fantastic to have a western chinese restaurant in pattaya. There was one other, chow soy, still going, but I rather eat dog food.

I agree about Chow Soy. I tried it once a long time ago. Once. That tells the story.

I tried it and will not be back. The prices reflected a place with a trained Chinese Chef the food did not.

Sorry to hear that, but not too surprised. Maybe some dishes are better than others? Hope spring (rolls) eternal ...

Edited by Jingthing

nothing wrong with dog food

prolongs active life

Looked at the menu and it's far too expensive. Also, they've just put the prices up on nearly all their chippy menu.

Did they really? That's annoying when places get a some buzz and then shamelessly milk it. Can't blame them from a business point of view but there are plenty of alternatives in town. It ain't all that. I still haven't tried the Chinese place but have seen the menu and prices. My feeling is that they are in theory offering some things that can't be had in town so the prices would be fair IF they can actually deliver on good quality and expected taste of those dishes. A big IF apparently.

Edited by Jingthing

..... Why did the Brits colonize Hong Kong anyway, if they didn't want to import good Chinese food?

From what I can tell, British-style Chinese food is their version of PF Chang.:bah:

The Brits colonized HK for the lucrative opium trade and not the cuisine. Sorry if you were being rhetorical

Edited by tomhuayyai

A good friend popped into The Village Ch**ky yesterday and bought me a take-away. The food average but was most impressed as they had also supplied (in a sealed packet) a knife/fork and chop sticks plus a napkin !!

You should try a McDonalds milkshake....they even provide a straw! :lol:

Why is it necessary to type "ch**ky" instead of the word actually used in the name of the restaurant? Is this just another case of PC madness?

Your answer is HERE

it as a derivative of the racist term "chink" but notes that the degree to which the term is deemed offensive varies according to age or ethnic origin of the listener.[6]

we are in pattaya in the 21st century !!

Edited by neilf

Why is it necessary to type "ch**ky" instead of the word actually used in the name of the restaurant? Is this just another case of PC madness?

Your answer is HERE

it as a derivative of the racist term "chink" but notes that the degree to which the term is deemed offensive varies according to age or ethnic origin of the listener.[6]

we are in pattaya in the 21st century !!

Offensive in the same way that pom/septic/kraut/frog are taken as offensive by some, but hey its not my train set.