Building A Pizza Oven

KohChang120

you can ask for Siam Cement "refractory"products. They are distributed country wide but might not be in stock. Take a trusted Thai lieutenant to translate at Home Pro or similar store. They will have access. You don't need farangs to help with this.

Sorry that I am a falang but I grew up hod carrying for my slave driving father who specialized in rock fireplaces. What is important to keep in mind is that regular type 3 cement can be used but what is typically done by the non-falang here is they rarely add lime to the mix. Lime is what makes the mortar stick together. Not using lime is why almost any wall built in Thailand with the typical brick and stucco covering can be kicked hard and will break. Number two in importance is to line your firebox with firebrick. Thats the key. Some folks even line with firebrick without using much mortar. Hope this helps. Mix your mud with five parts mason sand with two parts cement and one part lime.

Edited by bunta71

I made my own oven and I just used regular cement; it ain't too pretty, but it was the first thing I had made out of bricks.

It makes good pizza, and it has been working for about a year and a half.

_MG_4730.jpg

_MG_4727.jpg

Canuck, could you roast a chicken in that ?

Very interesting. looks great.

Canuck, could you roast a chicken in that ?

Very interesting. looks great.

Yep you sure could roast a chicken, but the door is small so no turkeys.

Actually when I build the next one, someday, I will make it bigger and with more thought put into the heat transfer from the bottom. This one had too much heat from the bottom and I had to add some asbestos tile so I didn't burn the crusts before the topping were done. But I got it working pretty good now.

Edited by canuckamuck

well nice oven

but thats cheating with gas

i built mine 2 years ago and use wood mutch better flavor

i used norm cement ,it has cracked a bit but that makes it look good

i'll try and do some pics in a few days.

makro do pizza bases 10 for 120b ,on top up to you.

my TW makes them now and we freeze them

happy days

kda:partytime2: :thumbsup::guitar::burp: :burp: :drunk: :drunk:

Thanks for all the replies regarding the cement, we found it in Pattaya. I know have another question does anyonw know where to get ceramic fiber insulation for the top of the oven from?

The ceramic insulation can be sourced from the same company Siam Refractory. In Lampang, where they have many ceramic factories, Siam Refractory has a retail store. It is not necessary to use the heat resistant cement. Siam Refractory also has a few different types of refractory bricks as well as pizza stones that are good for lining the bottom of the oven.

Most of these ovens are heated with wood. Wood ovens have a tendency of cooking the top of a pizza and not the bottom very well. The picture of the gas assisted oven is good but usually there is a way for the heat to go around the sides of the oven and vents into the oven before it is vented out the top. Gas ovens should be vented. By controlling the amount of heat vented into the oven you can control how fast the top cooks and in the case of canuckamuck he would not have had to add the tiles on the bottom.

My oven was more or less an experiment that worked, It does have venting to allow heat into the oven and a vent on top. I have modified it some since this picture was taken, but the next one will have a better heat exchanger. As far as cheating with gas is concerned, I just didn't want to be bothered with keeping materials to burn, and the hassle of getting the fire ready and waiting for the temp to be right.

But I like the wood burning ovens and when I get my own place, I will consider making one.

I personal don’t have a wood burning (pizza) oven at my house, but I have a German buddy in our village who built one, I’m very Impressed with it for two reasons; the first someone else is cooking and the food that comes out of it is the tastes fantastic “dogs dangly bits” He cooks lots of different thing in there. My favorites are the breads and pizzas, a homemade pizza take as little as 30 seconds to cook, depending on how thick the base is. A little bit of planning is needed when wanting to cook in it; we have to load it up with wood and fire it up. After about an hour or two, you push the embers out the way….and pop in the scran!!! It retains the heat for hours.

Yer, go for it KohChang120, my mate got all his information off the net, there are a lot of web-sites for “wood burning Ovens” if I didn’t live near someone who had one I would probably build one myself.

Good luck.