Best Coffee Grounds On Phuket

SamKong

Topps stopped carrying my favorite brand some time ago but Villa Market has picked up where Topps left off. Simply called, Hill Tribe Coffee, I swear by it. It comes in a simple brown box with a picture of a woman harvesting beans. In the box you'll find a cloth filter and the ground beans in an air-tight bag.

Has anyone else tried it? Is there another (economical) brand anyone can suggest? The Bon Cafe and Doi Tung brands only go so far with me.

And please, no mention of the instant stuff. :bah: I'd rather drink tea. :D

I drink the dark brown bad doi tung. I've tried pretty much all the coffees at Villa and it tastes the best to me, nice and dark, but everyone has their own tastes. I didn't like bon cafe nor the Douwe Egberts and I recently tried another brand from up north which was cheaper than doi tung, but more than bon cafe and it had that bitter cheap taste. Where's my Colombian Supremo, Kona Coffee, Costa Rican, Kenyan, New Guinean and other good coffees at a fair price?

Ahh coffee a topic close to my (palpitating) heart.

Never liked that hill-tribe coffee.

Best value for money is the Douwe Egberts coffee in the light blue package. Only 99 Baht and very drinkable.

I like Douwe egberts red for day to day coffee.. is villa stocking these ??

The good stuff is the lavazza gusto de crema that a mate brings over for me.. Just gets that oily crema layer so much better than any other brand and makes for those smooth buttery espressos even with my cheap machines. Just treated myself to a new seaco automat but its in the uk.. Need to wait till family flys over. For the machines I use lavazza gold beans sold in deli the 2kg packs. Theres less choice for unground stuff.

Theres a guy posting in the classifieds.. Claims to be a coffee nut doing his own roasting on the island.. Might be worth a try.

Edited by LivinLOS

Wonder how his beans are? Even the freshest beans, if they are <deleted>, will still taste like <deleted>. I would suggest to the guy ( if he has a work permit) to buy various good beans fresh from around the world and then sell them to those of us who appreciate good beans, but don't want to necessarily buy 5 kg's at a time.

Hi

Illy is good coffee, but expensive, i just bought 250G here in France, 6 euro, nice and cheap

i got some nice coffee but cant remember the name, will see when i get home

illys good when its right, but in my machine the illy I was getting here (regular black tin) had a bit too much bitterness compared to the lavazza.. But I readily admit the machine wasnt a high end unit and it might not have been getting to pressure / temp to get the most out of it.

As always theres so many variables.. And what one person likes isnt the same for everyone, my old housemate likes drip / filter coffee.. For me the best is espresso / pressure driven coffee, even if pulled into long shots / americano style coffee, then the freshness of the bean, the grind, the coarse / fineness of the grind.. Kinda amazing really how diverse the flavors from such a simple bean can be.

For a few years I have considered treating myself to a La Pavoni lever press machine, in the right hands these can be the king of the espresso as you can vary the pressure through the pull.. But a bean to cup automat saves on the mess factor and pressing a button in the am is the way to go :)

No such thing as a coffee bean.

The tree is a type of cherry.

Ya drinking ground cherry pits.......LOL

Love my java, tried KOPI LUWAK once, must admit it was different, not my price tho'..

My reg is a locally, NZ, roasted arabica, not NZ grown........lol.

MUST be fresh.

In my restaurant i serve Nacha Coffee, a Thai coffee sold in 200g vacuum sealed packs 800THB a kilo. Nice coffee, i use the premium grade, they supply me with a coffee/espresso machine that grinds the beans fresh for each serving, its a full bodied rich coffee, not bitter , impressive for a Thai coffee. A few customers purchase from me at cost for at home use as i have not seen them in any shops. google nacha coffee for more info.

sounds good jay. i'll have to stop buy next time i'm in rawai.

kata big rock also sounds interesting. where is the kata temple exactly?

i'll get around to trying some of the italian blends eventually but every time i'm at villa, i've already splurged on wine, cheese and products from home. perhaps i've got to get the coffee first.

as for douwie egberts, i can't believe i've not seen it. i'll keep my eyes open and will be pleasantly surprised if grounds that cheap taste any good.

finally, thank you very much zpete. to think all these years i've been trying to plant my beans in hopes of growing a coffee tree. :lol:

i'm a quid pro quo kinda guy so here's one for you: koala bears aren't really bears at all and its closest living relative is the wombat.

sounds good jay. i'll have to stop buy next time i'm in rawai.

kata big rock also sounds interesting. where is the kata temple exactly?

i'll get around to trying some of the italian blends eventually but every time i'm at villa, i've already splurged on wine, cheese and products from home. perhaps i've got to get the coffee first.

as for douwie egberts, i can't believe i've not seen it. i'll keep my eyes open and will be pleasantly surprised if grounds that cheap taste any good.

finally, thank you very much zpete. to think all these years i've been trying to plant my beans in hopes of growing a coffee tree. :lol:

i'm a quid pro quo kinda guy so here's one for you: koala bears aren't really bears at all and its closest living relative is the wombat.

Spot on mate, and theres no shortage of wombats here in phuket...lol:D but am sure they are not related to koala's...

Back to coffee, same as cars, girls and beers, everyone has different opinions and likes and dislikes, but for me Waa Wee coffee shops have the best coffee available.

Grown up north Thailand i find very robust and flavourfull, in house Latte or capacino leaves most shops for dead IMO [personally would walk straight past starbucks or black canyon]

Waawee coffee also has the same coffee for sale to take home and brew yourself. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

in house Latte or capacino leaves most shops for dead IMO [personally would walk straight past starbucks or black canyon]

Totally agree there.. Starbucks never fails to disappoint, and aint cheap either.

Not cheap, not tasty, Just shows the power of advertising i guess....

Also they have the advantage of being globally regonised, so visitors see the starbucks sign and relate to coffee.

I understand this as it takes local knowledge to find the local decent shops.

Most tourists wouldn't relate to Waa Wee or Coffee mania shops...[ another great thai /italian coffee shop near patong.]

Totally agree there.. Starbucks never fails to disappoint, and aint cheap either.

Just like McDonalds, expensive unhealthy disgusting cardboard waste disguised as food, but global marketing has made it what it is today, a high profile brand with a crap product but people still eat there because its comfort food and quick and easy for todays lazy sloaths.

Agree with Starbucks, very poor excuse for coffee but people buy into the brand cos its "cool" give me Lavazza any day.....best coffee i've tasted in LOS by a mile

Never heard of a "Capacino".......... guess it could be Al's brother !!!!! :cheesy:

Edited by Rickster

Just like McDonalds, expensive unhealthy disgusting cardboard waste disguised as food, but global marketing has made it what it is today, a high profile brand with a crap product but people still eat there because its comfort food and quick and easy for todays lazy sloaths.

Agree with Starbucks, very poor excuse for coffee but people buy into the brand cos its "cool" give me Lavazza any day.....best coffee i've tasted in LOS by a mile

Never heard of a "Capacino".......... guess it could be Al's brother !!!!! :cheesy:

Yeh typo.....:) Sorry i'm just not as perfect as you obviously, but i hope you did get the message :whistling:

And hey, there i was ,in respose to SamKong....talking about wombats on Phuket..lol :D ....

Yeh typo.....:) Sorry i'm just not as perfect as you obviously, but i hope you did get the message :whistling:

And hey, there i was ,in respose to SamKong....talking about wombats on Phuket..lol :D ....

Actually, not into putting milk in good coffee i.e Latte's and Capacino's, always have it black....just like my women !!!! Kinda like putting a lemonade top in a pint of Stella....absolute sacrilege.....but hey.... each to their own i guess.....

Edited by Rickster

Actually, not into putting milk in good coffee i.e Latte's and Capacino's, always have it black....just like my women !!!! Kinda like putting a lemonade top in a pint of Stella....absolute sacrilege.....but hey.... each to their own i guess.....

Oh dear...first you tell me; Never heard of a "Capacino".......... guess it could be Al's brother !!!!! :cheesy:

Now you say you dont like Capacino.... :blink:

If you find it neccessary to play the smartass ..at least get it right boy...

Besides that i really did take you for a ''shandy'' drinker....maybe you should be huh :D

Oh dear...first you tell me; Never heard of a "Capacino".......... guess it could be Al's brother !!!!! :cheesy:

Now you say you dont like Capacino.... :blink:

If you find it neccessary to play the smartass ..at least get it right boy...

Besides that i really did take you for a ''shandy'' drinker....maybe you should be huh :D

Did it ever occur to you that i might have been taking the pee from your initial spelling error, hence why i didn't spell it correctly, i'm hardly going to pull you up for a spelling error only to make the same error myself.... As i've said before, take a deep breath and relax.... you're not making the forum an enjoyable experience for yourself......

Just to enlighten you a bit more, a dash of lemonade in a pint of beer is not called a Shandy....its called a lager top/dash...............phew

Did it ever occur to you that i might have been taking the pee from your initial spelling error, hence why i didn't spell it correctly, i'm hardly going to pull you up for a spelling error only to make the same error myself.... As i've said before, take a deep breath and relax.... you're not making the forum an enjoyable experience for yourself........

Just to enlighten you a bit more, a dash of lemonade in a pint of beer is not called a Shandy....its called a lager top/dash...............phew

You have got one way out weird sense of humour rick [ if thats what it is] usually people put a :D or a :lol: if they are really trying to be the funny one.......maybe only you can understand it i think

A shandy... from the word shandygaff[ [ like what we used to buy the girls in the pub ] was 50/50 beer and lemonade , and maybe it should be your tipple.....phew

Anyway about coffee as is the OP...

I wander what the ratio of black coffee drinkers to white coffee drinkers would be?

Anyone able to give a good opinion.....

Edited by LivinginKata
Insulting remarks removed

I know its off topic but beer with lemonade in it is called a shandy as Jamesie said in Australia

In UK if its 50/50 beer and lemonade its a shandy, if its a glass of beer with just a dash of lemonade its a lager top/dash

Similar but slightly different

Anyway back on topic.....famous movie stars........oops no side tracked again......... Coffee !!!!! :lol: (emoticon just for verification purposes)

I disagree. I prefer low quality beans that are fresh over expensive stale beans any time. Its the same as bread...would you prefer once high quality bread that's a week old or fresh bread of a lesser quality? generally roasted coffee is good for 2 or maybe 3 weeks. Ground coffee degrades much faster and really there is no beating grind on demand.

I am roasting Thai Arabica beans for 150 baht per 250 gram bag. The quality of these beans is good. Imported beans carry a 90% tax so are expensive but I am starting to roast some nice beans from Sumatra as well. BTW way I do have a work permit :-)

Wonder how his beans are? Even the freshest beans, if they are <deleted>, will still taste like <deleted>. I would suggest to the guy ( if he has a work permit) to buy various good beans fresh from around the world and then sell them to those of us who appreciate good beans, but don't want to necessarily buy 5 kg's at a time.