Thai Police & Us Dea Announce Operation “Hot Spot” In Pattaya

Rimmer

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE

DEA-Rewards.com launches here in Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- Operation Hotspot has been launched here in Pattaya, in a joint initiative involving the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) from USA and the Narcotics Suppression Bureau (NSB), a division of the Royal Thai Police. On Wednesday, a series of events were planned to launch the operation which involves a website detailing international drug traffickers, some wanted here in Thailand and others around the Asian Region.

Full story HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2010-09-23

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The DEA has been working in Thailand for DECADES and the various governments have been happy to have them, regardless of everything else they fight over. It's certainly not a case of imperialism or sticking their nose where they aren't wanted, they're happy to have English speaking anti drug officers from America working with them

Yanks "DEA" is doing a great job and remember they are here by invitation of the kingdom. As for the ads good idea and again they have approval by the thai govt. If you do not like it take it up with the thai govt, not the yanks. ;)

The current gov britmav or the previous one? Don't tell me you have seen the light? ;)

• Like 1

The ominous looking billboards with USA logos in a foreign land certainly LOOK imperialistic. Please don't deny the obvious.

jingthing, maybe we should feel concerned too of the Thais that wear shirts, jackets, caps and whatever that have all or parts of the American flag on it. I'm not sure where you're coming from?

The ominous looking billboards with USA logos in a foreign land certainly LOOK imperialistic. Please don't deny the obvious.

jingthing, maybe we should feel concerned too of the Thais that wear shirts, jackets, caps and whatever that have all or parts of the American flag on it. I'm not sure where you're coming from?

There is ZERO percent relation between the two things. BTW -- have you actually SEEN these BIG BLACK USA billboards all over town? How would you feel if the CHINESE government did such a thing in Thailand? Or IRAN? Let's not be hypocrites here.

The DEA has been working in Thailand for DECADES and the various governments have been happy to have them, regardless of everything else they fight over. It's certainly not a case of imperialism or sticking their nose where they aren't wanted, they're happy to have English speaking anti drug officers from America working with them

Boy are you right. The US has been involved for a long time. From the politics of opium.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN," announced the genteel British diplomat, raising his glass to offer a toast, "I give you Prince Sopsaisana, the uplifter of Laotian youth." The toast brought an appreciative smile from the lips of the guest of honor, cheers and applause from the luminaries of Vientiane's diplomatic corps gathered at the send-off banquet for the Laotian ambassador-designate to France, Prince Sopsaisana. His appointment was the crowning achievement in a brilliant career. A member of the royal house of Meng Khouang, the Plain of Jars region, Prince Sopsaisana was vice-president of the National Assembly, chairman of the Lao Bar Association, president of the Lao Press Association, president of the Alliance Francaise, and a member in good standing of the Asian People's Anti-Communist League.

When the Prince arrived in Paris his luggage went missing.

While the champagne bubbled at the Laotian Embassy, French customs officials were examining one of the biggest heroin seizures in French history: his "missing" suitcase contained sixty kilos of high-grade Laotian heroin worth $13.5 million on the streets of New York,(4) its probable destination.

Although it was finally decided to hush up the affair, the authorities were determined that Sopsaisana should not go entirely unpunished. A week after the ambassador's arrival, a smiling French official presented himself at the Embassy with the guilty suitcase in hand. Although Sopsaisana had been bombarding the airport with outraged telephone calls for several days, he must have realized that accepting the suitcase was tantamount to an admission of guilt and flatly denied that it was his. Despite his protestations of innocence, the French government refused to accept his diplomatic credentials and Sopsai festered in Paris for almost two months until he was finally recalled to Vientiane late in June.

Back in Vientiane the impact of this affair was considerably less than earthshaking. The all-powerful American Embassy chose not to pursue the matter, and within a few weeks everything was conveniently forgotten. According to reports later received by the U.S. Bureau of Narcotics, Sopsai's venture had been financed by Meo Gen. Vang Pao, commander of the CIA's Secret Army, and the heroin itself had been refined in a laboratory at Long Tieng, which happens to be the CIA's headquarters for clandestine operations in northern Laos. Perhaps these embarrassing facts may explain the U.S. Embassy's lack of action.

In late 1969 opium refineries in the Burma-Thailand-Laos tri-border region, newly staffed by skilled master chemists from Hong Kong, began producing limited supplies of high-grade heroin for the tens of thousands of alienated GIs serving in South Vietnam. The U.S. military command in Saigon began getting its first reports of serious heroin addiction among isolated units in early 1970. By September or October the epidemic was fully developed: seemingly unlimited quantities of heroin were available at every U.S. installation from the Mekong Delta in the south to the DMZ in the north.

Although opium production continued to increase in Burma and Thailand, there were no major changes in the structure of the traffic during the 1960s. Still enjoying tacit CIA support for their counterinsurgency work, Nationalist Chinese (KMT) military caravans continued to move almost all of Burma's opium exports into northern Thailand, where they were purchased by a Chinese syndicate for domestic distribution and export to Hong Kong or Malaysia. The Shan national revolutionary movement offered a brief challenge to KMT hegemony over the opium trade, but after their most powerful leader was defeated in the 1967 Opium War, the Shan threat evaporated.

After the 1967 Opium War, the KMT solidified its control over the BurmaThailand opium trade. Almost none of the seven hundred tons of raw opium harvested annually in Burma's Shan and Kachin states reaches world markets through any of Burma's ports: instead, it is packed across the rugged Shan hills by mule caravan to the tri-border junction of Burma, Thailand, and Laos. This area is the beginning of two pipelines into the illicit international markets: one shoots across Laos to Saigon, the other heads due south through central Thailand to Bangkok."

There were similar joint operations throughout the country in the 90's; they would shut down whole red light districts at a time ; then the situation was improved ; less under age girls, no more naked table snogging, some "cabarets" closed .Quite a sudden change.

And of course bust of many poppy fields ; result was end of easy & pure ya saï tit, and appearance of ya ba.

this does nothing but raises the prices of drugs and puts more burden on the state to house the busted...surely it will cause more violence and crime as prices go up and users need to do more to get their fix.... crime means nothing more than business to law and the DEA especially. legalize it or stop fighting it and those guys are out of the job. come up with places that 'need cleaning up' and it means business.

it doesn't help that the law and government (both thai and american) are often some of, if not the biggest crooks in town.

Edited by damian7000

I'm going to stay out of this no win argument, but it is worth noting that while the DEA gets the naming rights on the program, it isn't just the US DEA that's implicated. Would it surprise anyone that the Australian, Canadian and several EU member nations are tacit supporters of the drug interdiction programs in Thailand? It might even shock some people to know that the Russians are helping out. There is a big problem of Russians trying to bring back drugs into Russia to make a quck ruble.

The various drug interdiction efforts do have an upside to them as it allowed countries that previously were political rivals to forge some relationships and work together. Despite all the political rhetoric exchanged between the EU and the USA, the US efforts are supported by a majority of EU member nations. It's really quite simple. The US plays the role of the bad cop and the EU plays the role of the good cop. The charade keeps all political interest groups happy. In any case, there is a simple way to avoid a problem; Just don't get involved with Yaba and all the other chemical crap floating around. Not that difficult is it?

Boy are you right. The US has been involved for a long time. From the politics of opium.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,"+SNIP+ ok."

Source please. I trust it is a verified reliable source and not one of the crackpot conspiracy wbsites.

Thank you

The Politics of Heroin in Southeast Asia. That and the fact I was here and watched it. Where were you in 1969?

well c'mon look at the topic and the point. should they show two hippies with flowers in their hair shaing free love? what effect would that have in reachign theri objective. As stated, you know they've been working together a long time.

As stated earlier, world powers get a lot of cheap shots being an easy target. I'm sure you'd really complain too if they DIDN'T do anything about it.

this is a great project and they got a lot to do. It also will help to learn from each other. The drug-mafias try to flood the countries everywhere. Bangkok is full of middle-men or contact persons. Lots of foreigners too. In times like this it's so easy for them to recruit dealers and mules.

GOOD LUCK! to all of you guys. - Wipe out connected drug related corruption and money laundering too.

There is ZERO percent relation between the two things. BTW -- have you actually SEEN these BIG BLACK USA billboards all over town? How would you feel if the CHINESE government did such a thing in Thailand? Or IRAN? Let's not be hypocrites here.

you do realize that the drug problem is a transnational thingy, or not? Iran is supporting Hamaz and Hezbollah and they control and finance themselves with drug/arm trading. Chinese would be fine to join. Why not? At least they have a clear stance on that subject.

All the anti-American activists, have you considered that perhaps Thailand asked USA to help?

That perhaps US DEA has more pull around the world then British Police,or OZ police, or Canadian Police. so to stop drug traffickers is little easier as now have access to country's who otherwise would not even bother picking up the phone if Thailand was calling

I am not anti-American. I don't like how this DEA thing LOOKS, whether Thailand invited them or not. Of course Thailand invited them. I think all the PR should be about the THAI part of the operation as we are in Thailand. I don't like the appearance of my country basically overnight invading Pattaya with seemingly hundreds of ads all over town. It's embarrassing and if it was another country doing it, I would be freaked out.

I am not anti-American. I don't like how this DEA thing LOOKS, whether Thailand invited them or not. Of course Thailand invited them. I think all the PR should be about the THAI part of the operation as we are in Thailand. I don't like the appearance of my country basically overnight invading Pattaya with seemingly hundreds of ads all over town. It's embarrassing and if it was another country doing it, I would be freaked out.

Yeah you right it should be more about Thai, but in reality who has the skills and "better" credibility? Thai police? or US DEA?

Every single trafficker and dealer knows that with Thai police-there are always deals to be made while with US DEA it could be little harder.

Not to mention the unspoken word on the street of who runs all the drugs in Pattaya.

Personally i could not care less what country joined, as long as they managed to achieve some results.

I am waiting for a day to be able to walk on the beach and not be harassed every 5 meters or so, right across the road from the police station to buy drugs by every low life, including the taxi guys now

Also, why are the posters ALL in English? That is also very offensive. We are in Thailand and there isn't THAI text explaining the situation as well. Sorry, that is pure ARROGANCE, and the DEA is only reinforcing the reputation of Americans being arrogant by not being more sensitive to the LOCAL culture.

Edited by Jingthing

Also, why are the posters ALL in English? That is also very offensive. We are in Thailand and there isn't THAI text explaining the situation as well. Sorry, that is pure ARROGANCE, and the DEA is only reinforcing the reputation of Americans being arrogant by not being more sensitive to the LOCAL culture.

May be because the aim of the campaign is to target foreigners rather then locals, because in Thailand there is no problem with drugs with localsph34r.gif

Just like there is no prostitution in Pattaya according to some Government peoplejap.gif

• Like 1

Your right!!! Cooperative operations between 2 governments is horrid, How can this be?? This is clearly a hostile takeover of Thailand where the American military will impose strict curfews and enforce reciting the pledge of allegiance to the American flag.

This website is Thaivisa.com, not many Thai people need to visit this site, that may be why everyone has posted in english. As for being more sensitive to Thai culture, I am no expert, but I am pretty sure that Thai culture is primarily based on Buddhist philosophies. correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe murder, terrorism and drugs is an integral part of Buddhist teachings.

Maybe the US needs to finalize things with their Mexican border first before coming way out over here.

Unless,... wait a minute! They're trying to find a reason to be more planted in Thailand prior to invading Burma with all their drugs, human rights violations, nuclear power plants and undemocratic ways! Oh right, and plus they want their hands on all the natural resources there. Sounds like Iraq in Southeast Asia to me, and Thailand will serve as the stepping stone.

Great.

Sorry you donot know much about Burma, the Chinese already have everything there. The US would not invade Burma, friends with China, do your research

The sooner they give up the fight on drugs the better and spend the money they waste on fighting it to education and treatment facilities for those that cant handle it.

Know one will EVER win the fight on drugs so tax it control it and and let grown ups make there own decisions if they want to take drugs.

THERE IS A HUGE, MASSIVE, GIGANTIC, NEVER ENDING DEMAND FOR DRUGS AND THAT WILL NEVER END

Millions of people use drugs recreationally just like they drink and they still go to work each day and are productive individuals many CEO's snort Coke I know more people that smoke weed than people that don't (I dont it puts me to sleep and does nothing for me)

To me its a waste of time and money fighting it.

I would prefer that my kids didnt have access to these drugs. Send in the Marines

Warning: the use of stats has been rolled out.

(I give it another 10 posts before someone rolls out global warming, any takers?)

20+ posts and counting...guess you missed the mark a bit?

I'm going to stay out of this no win argument, but it is worth noting that while the DEA gets the naming rights on the program, it isn't just the US DEA that's implicated. Would it surprise anyone that the Australian, Canadian and several EU member nations are tacit supporters of the drug interdiction programs in Thailand? It might even shock some people to know that the Russians are helping out. There is a big problem of Russians trying to bring back drugs into Russia to make a quck ruble.

The various drug interdiction efforts do have an upside to them as it allowed countries that previously were political rivals to forge some relationships and work together. Despite all the political rhetoric exchanged between the EU and the USA, the US efforts are supported by a majority of EU member nations. It's really quite simple. The US plays the role of the bad cop and the EU plays the role of the good cop. The charade keeps all political interest groups happy. In any case, there is a simple way to avoid a problem; Just don't get involved with Yaba and all the other chemical crap floating around. Not that difficult is it?

During my brief research into this, and not global warming, I was kinda shocked to see Russia has such a large heroin problem. And that China is scheduled to surpass ALL countries quite soon. I had always thought the US was #1...at least with regards to heroin. But at least we still have the top spot for cocaine use! :(