Reputations

onnut

If you were an Indian family here with your young children, would you enjoy walking down Pattaya beach at night?

How many posts and threads are you going to go on and and on with about your new crusade? It is no wonder that your new friend has expressed his right to a difference of opinion with a few liberally spread REDs. :annoyed:

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were an Indian family here with your young children, would you enjoy walking down Pattaya beach at night?

How many posts and threads are you going to go on and and on with about your new crusade? It is no wonder that your new friend has expressed his right to a difference of opinion with a few liberally spread REDs. :annoyed:

You are replying to a DELETED post, made in error. Chill dude.

From experience I can tell that negative option is not a good choice. Any thing people don't like should be debated.

Most successful forums have taken this feature off and have only greenies.

Exactly. The feature invites ABUSE as I've already reported about and it also definitely stifles free and open DEBATE, which is already restricted ENOUGH by moderation.

• Like 2

They intro'd carrots and sticks

To enhance their bag of tricks

It raised a hullabaloo

Among the gathered crew

"I find no joy in this"

Said JT with a hiss

Others were enamored

And for greens they clamored

Debates raged night and day

Who did they hope to sway?

It mattered not one bit

As George din' give a sh*t

"Page views is all that counts

For greens in my accounts.

The decision is fixed;

It won't be deep sixed."*

*This I have been led

To believe he has said.

Bravo! Would have greened you, but out of my green allowance for now.

And now there's a POLL!

Edited by Jingthing

I suppose the red/green rep system has some merit,albeit for your own peace of mind.

Nobody would like to think their views on life,lack of judgment,on subjects in general, are completely out of keeping with the majority of their average fellow human beings,or be a member of the tiniest of minority groups.

Someone that gets more than their fair share of - reds should seriously start looking for attitude problems,and lack of understanding in themselves.

Which is not to say that their views are always wrong,in fact we should all expect some -reds,unless you are one of the gifted few that believe they are always right!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

A member with NO POSTS just joined in the last few minutes to give me two reds. I reckon this "new" poster which is most likely an alias of my most dedicated stalker joined just to do this and will probably do it everyday, so I am well on my way to 1000 reds. Sorry, this red thing is all about ABUSE. I am a high volume controversial poster, so I am seeing these things early in the game.

A green a day keeps the stalker at Bay.

A member with NO POSTS just joined in the last few minutes to give me two reds. I reckon this "new" poster which is most likely an alias of my most dedicated stalker joined just to do this and will probably do it everyday, so I am well on my way to 1000 reds. Sorry, this red thing is all about ABUSE. I am a high volume controversial poster, so I am seeing these things early in the game.

With all this trivial banter, this site is becoming just as shitty as Teak Door .

• Like 1

BS. Someone could sign up with 5 aliases and give you 2 reds a day x 5 equals 10 a day. Just one enemy could do that or more.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

BS. Someone could sign up with 5 aliases and give you 2 reds a day x 5 equals 10 a day. Just one enemy could do that or more.

You missed my point JT,I just gave you a Green.

Even so you are correct.

I get disappointed when I post certain things and certain guys DON'T give me a red flag ... and (as I have posted elsewhere but for the benefit of others):

from the screenplay of The Sting; Gondorff - Paul Newman / Hooker - Robert Redford

GONDORFF (V.O.)

How 'bout Lonnegan?

HOOKER (V.O.)

I gave him the breakdown just likeya told me to.

GONDORFF (V.O.)

And?

HOOKER (V.O.)

He threatened to kill me.

GONDORFF (V.O.)

hel_l, they don't do that and you know you're not gettin' through to 'em

Edited by jazzbo

It's a stupid concept. I had thought ThaiVisa was better than that. I guess they must make more money from it somehow.

Indeed seems that way. A good idea but, such as is the human way, you then have sad fuc_kers with an agenda abusing the system and following you around dishing out reds even when you're trying to help out. I won't name names, although not that I really give a toss.

• Like 2

Yes and that is your prerogative but what is being advocated is that if you choose not to participate as you do but others disagree with your opinion and decide to lambaste you with reds you should be banned, and that's unacceptable..

True, but why would anybody worry about their reputation on an anonymous internet forum?

Yes and that is your prerogative but what is being advocated is that if you choose not to participate as you do but others disagree with your opinion and decide to lambaste you with reds you should be banned, and that's unacceptable..

True, but why would anybody worry about their reputation on an anonymous internet forum?

You might want to make a constructive suggestion in the Forum Support topic

(As I have quoted unimainatively elsewhere on more than one occasion - 'even if you complain, no-one listens, so you might as well not bother'.

Some other fora only allow certain actions to members who have accrued some usage - either time or posts, and some topics are restricted to members who have accrued some usage - reputation, or whatever. I know - that could be bedlam, but it could work...

Posts or threads by other, newer members are "subject to moderation" i.e. they don't get published till they've been OK'd by the thought-police.

The slight constraint on free speech would be worth accepting in the interests of prevention of abuse, so long as the mods were willing to accept the additional workload of vetting posts by newbies.

My suggestion for a simple rule set would be:

No Reputation-giving capability till you had accrued say 22 posts or 3 rep points, or some combination

Posts and new threads to be subject to moderation until you had accrued 2 weeks' membership or two rep points

But it does place more work on the mods...

SC

• Like 1

<snip>

No Reputation-giving capability till you had accrued say 22 posts or 3 rep points, or some combination

Posts and new threads to be subject to moderation until you had accrued 2 weeks' membership or two rep points

SC

That's pretty sensible. It would address the most egregious kinds of abuse. Some of the work could be automated, but still, the Mods' plates would be fuller.

One thing I do like about the system—and others have said the same—is that if I liked a post but had nothing more to add other than a 'thumbs up' emoticon, I could just give a +1 instead to register my approval and appreciation. It's a kind of polite, understated communication, a nod of the head as it were.

On the other hand, I've yet to give out a minus, and here's why (in case anyone's interested): If I disagreed, I'd like to either say so, stating my POV, or just walk on by. Giving a minus is a bit of a sucker punch at the poster one disagrees with, a drive-by mooning. With my hairy ass, it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

In the end , the jerks will be identified one way or another. Besides, one person's jerk is another's drinking buddy, so we should just take it all with a little equanimity.

• Like 2

Jingthing,

Lets just take a step back here.

You are an individual with an apparent excess of free time who for some reason seems to care that a sad anonymous numpty on the internet choses to spend his time clicking on a picture of a little red circle. your little red circle.

You do realize that the reputation feature is really only relevant if you allow it to be?

High volume controversial poster indeed.

you wanted attention, you got it. Now you complain it isn't the right sort.

Edited by nocturn
  • Like 1

<snip>

SC

That's pretty sensible. It would address the most egregious kinds of abuse. Some of the work could be automated, but still, the Mods' plates would be fuller.

One thing I do like about the system—and others have said the same—is that if I liked a post but had nothing more to add other than a 'thumbs up' emoticon, I could just give a +1 instead to register my approval and appreciation. It's a kind of polite, understated communication, a nod of the head as it were.

On the other hand, I've yet to give out a minus, and here's why (in case anyone's interested): If I disagreed, I'd like to either say so, stating my POV, or just walk on by. Giving a minus is a bit of a sucker punch at the poster one disagrees with, a drive-by mooning. With my hairy ass, it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

In the end , the jerks will be identified one way or another. Besides, one person's jerk is another's drinking buddy, so we should just take it all with a little equanimity.

You're right about the red spots. I know I've given out a few, and I hope I have had the decency to add a post or a PM to add some explanation, otherwise its just unhelpful and non-constructive abuse. I suppose we should not object to the people who say "You're an ignorant git and you should have referred to such and such a source before posting"; I feel far more tolerant about imprecise and vague praise than similar criticism...

It might be nice to be able to more closely link a comment and the Reputation Point, and if it could fry an egg and remind you when to book a dentist's appointment...

SC

I'm one of those idiots that had no idea how the reputation worked. I thought it was to indicate whether or not I had agreed with the point. I was giving some people I usually agree with negatives. Call me a wuss, but I felt bad about it so I went back to older posts to give these people a + to negate my - . So yea, maybe the upstairs comments about limiting access until a period of time passes migth pay off. The worst part about that rep choice is that you can't reverse it. I've actually meant to hit + but instead hit -. Another idiot move.

Does anyone actually give a dam_n, it's an anonymous forum.

Personally I just give out negative comments when I see a post that deserves it, generally that means 2 every day to JT when I have to read his pointless 'me me me' posts, however if I see other more deserving posts first then they get it, nobody else whinges and moans, but then again I don't think anyone lives their lives through this forum.

In summary, grow a pair and stop bothering what someone thinks about you, we will never meet, I give your posts what they deserve, and tbh its a travesty that I can only dish out two a day as the amount of posts you make, most of them 'me me me' posts deserve much more then the allowed 2 negative posts per day. When I see a positive post from you that deserves a + mark you will get it.

Unbelievable that anyone actually gets upset when they get marked down :lol: if it is so important to you then take notice of the amount of negatives you get, they are deserved, they are not done out of spite, they are given because that is what your posts and your attitude deserve, maybe if you are getting so depressed about it then its time for a change of personality, or maybe time to get a life away from this froum.

• Like 2

But are the regular users ' anonymous '. Yes we cannot see one another but after time you get a feel for someone, you get to know their way of thinking, whether they are joking or serious with their written word. Well thats my feeling.

Perhaps you think l am sad but if l get a red thingy it makes me sit back and think.

Perhaps l take the forum to seriously, l don't know, l spend a lot of time reading cos l do sod all so perhaps l do take it to seriously and personal, but l have made friends here and talk via PM's about stuff which some of us think important. The guy who has a mountain of red thingy's, is he writing for fun and looking angry reactions from people or is he brain dead, this the good point of the reds, or greens for that matter, they do show the bulk readers of a topic other readers impression of a post. :)

I think the feedback let's people review what they have posted, and consider if it was well-worded or not. We should all be looking to do whatever we do as well as we can - including frittering away our time on the internet. (The man who is perfect can only get worse; the rest of us prefer to improve)

Sometimes, we try to say something witty or aposite and have no idea whether it fell tragically flat or not - yet we don't particularly want a stream of inane "right on"s or puerile smileys clogging up the thread, or our mailbox.

Or equally, we may have tried to make a coherent point that was badly worded and caused offence, and we can see whom we have offended, and try and see ourselves as others see us, as JT's favourite poet, Rabbi Burns would have said.

SC

I do think it is important that the points are attributed - you can see if someone is being vindictive, and who they are, and on other fora, I accept that my opinion is considered irrelevant since i do not contribute constructively here (- as if most of the posts here were meant constructively!)

Personally I just give out negative comments when I see a post that deserves it, generally that means 2 every day to JT when I have to read his pointless 'me me me' posts, however if I see other more deserving posts first then they get it, nobody else whinges and moans, but then again I don't think anyone lives their lives through this forum.

In summary, grow a pair and stop bothering what someone thinks about you, we will never meet, I give your posts what they deserve, and tbh its a travesty that I can only dish out two a day as the amount of posts you make, most of them 'me me me' posts deserve much more then the allowed 2 negative posts per day. When I see a positive post from you that deserves a + mark you will get it.

Unbelievable that anyone actually gets upset when they get marked down :lol: if it is so important to you then take notice of the amount of negatives you get, they are deserved, they are not done out of spite, they are given because that is what your posts and your attitude deserve, maybe if you are getting so depressed about it then its time for a change of personality, or maybe time to get a life away from this froum.

It's not about getting upset, and non of us need to be told by you to get a life cos we read the forum, just as you are doing. You have only been on the forum 5 minutes and your telling us what to do. :rolleyes:

there is reading the forum and living on the forum, anyway feel free to use your two negatives against me today, you can do safely in the knowledge that I won't complain, run to the mods or hang myself tonight :whistling:

• Like 1

My big thing these past few months was to be able to embed U toob things.

Don't mention reds and greens to me.

Sounds too like gold stars in kindergarten.

Same thing Over There, don't care.

I potter around and add my comments and hope that they are ok. I am not rude (too much) and enjoy the banter.

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 2

:D I have a guy on the motoring section that gives me a red if l say a word against MU7's :D.

But you are right, if the powers that be instigate a plus and minus system it soon becomes obvious that some people have a serious problem if they acquire loads of reds and perhaps should be looked at. :)

I disagree with that and here's why. Just ONE spiteful member can put any member deep into the red if the gives out his two reds each and everyday to the same member. That's over 700 reds per year which very few posters could offset with greens. Please think twice before giving much meaning to the reds OR greens.

Just gave you a green for that :)

Generally, I hand out reds and greens as a way of disagreeing, or otherwise, with what people have said without feeling the need to comment. When I receive them, I regard it in the same way, someone gave me a green, they agree with me on that point.

As JT says, it shouldn't, IMO be seen as much more than that. If someone should be 'looked at' or not, should be up to the mods.

No no power to the people!!

We should have a senior members committee meeting every month and boot out the most irritating newbie while awarding ourselves dozens of greenies. Just cos we can.

It's not about getting upset, and non of us need to be told by you to get a life cos we read the forum, just as you are doing. You have only been on the forum 5 minutes and your telling us what to do. :rolleyes:

there is reading the forum and living on the forum, anyway feel free to use your two negatives against me today, you can do safely in the knowledge that I won't complain, run to the mods or hang myself tonight :whistling:

Do you know if l am stuck in a wheel chair in Scotland or hospital bed Bangkok or just an insomniac, hmmmm. We do not all live our lives on the same level playing field. :ermm:

and do you know that I don't really care who you are are what your circumstances are, this thread is not about you or me, it is about the reputation feature, some people take it waaaaaaaaaay too seriously, also I see you use the 'you have only been here 5 minutes' tedious argument, so are you saying that your opinion is more valid than mine because you have been here longer? (on the forum). That pretty much sums you up to be honest, with you it is all about post count and reputation on a forum, do you realise how sad that is?

• Like 1

Do you know if l am stuck in a wheel chair in Scotland or hospital bed Bangkok or just an insomniac, hmmmm. We do not all live our lives on the same level playing field. :ermm:

So explain your situation and then people will make a better judgement. If you were in a wheelchair in Scotland I don't think anyone would begrudge you spending a lot of time on the computer. Anyway, what you do is up to you. You do post a lot though.........