Reputations

onnut

and do you know that I don't really care who you are are what your circumstances are, this thread is not about you or me, it is about the reputation feature, some people take it waaaaaaaaaay too seriously, also I see you use the 'you have only been here 5 minutes' tedious argument, so are you saying that your opinion is more valid than mine because you have been here longer? (on the forum). That pretty much sums you up to be honest, with you it is all about post count and reputation on a forum, do you realise how sad that is?

The "you have only been here 5 minutes" argument isn't so much tedious, it's usually inaccurate.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go back and read my post again, you don't understand it, yes you have only been here five minutes and you know nothing about big posters habits, words etc. You know nothing about how posts were responded to in words instead of a simple click of a red or green and my opinion is that they were introduced to cut back on rows between some members, and it has. Again you are saying people who take it seriously are tossers but that is your opinion, but l am not interested in what you think.:rolleyes:

you are not interested in what I think but took the time to post about what I think? :whistling:

And 'big posters'? what is that? do you mean posters with more posts or are you suggesting the more you post the more you should be respected? It is irrelevant how many posts you have or what your posting style is, why should I make allowances for that? If I read something I don't agree with then the simple fact is that I don't agree with it, I don't look at how many posts you have or what your reputation is as quite frankly I don't care and I am surprised that any self respecting adult would care.

• Like 1

:D I have a guy on the motoring section that gives me a red if l say a word against MU7's :D.

But you are right, if the powers that be instigate a plus and minus system it soon becomes obvious that some people have a serious problem if they acquire loads of reds and perhaps should be looked at. :)

I disagree with that and here's why. Just ONE spiteful member can put any member deep into the red if the gives out his two reds each and everyday to the same member. That's over 700 reds per year which very few posters could offset with greens. Please think twice before giving much meaning to the reds OR greens.

Just gave you a green for that :)

Generally, I hand out reds and greens as a way of disagreeing, or otherwise, with what people have said without feeling the need to comment. When I receive them, I regard it in the same way, someone gave me a green, they agree with me on that point.

As JT says, it shouldn't, IMO be seen as much more than that. If someone should be 'looked at' or not, should be up to the mods.

No no power to the people!!

We should have a senior members committee meeting every month and boot out the most irritating newbie while awarding ourselves dozens of greenies. Just cos we can.

:lol: and, perhaps, some kind of 'forum gulag' where whatever you type get's posted as "meh" ?

I'm all for it :D

What I don't understand is, why would someone want to kill such a successful franchise by cheapening and degrading it's content with all this petty bullshit. Might as well put some nudie shots on the main page to up clicks. Meanwhile some enterprising person will be thinking about how to start the next decent website relating to Thailand visitors and expats. Nice going George.

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 1

Go back and read my post again, you don't understand it, yes you have only been here five minutes and you know nothing about big posters habits, words etc. You know nothing about how posts were responded to in words instead of a simple click of a red or green and my opinion is that they were introduced to cut back on rows between some members, and it has. Again you are saying people who take it seriously are tossers but that is your opinion, but l am not interested in what you think.:rolleyes:

you are not interested in what I think but took the time to post about what I think? :whistling:

And 'big posters'? what is that? do you mean posters with more posts or are you suggesting the more you post the more you should be respected? It is irrelevant how many posts you have or what your posting style is, why should I make allowances for that? If I read something I don't agree with then the simple fact is that I don't agree with it, I don't look at how many posts you have or what your reputation is as quite frankly I don't care and I am surprised that any self respecting adult would care.

Isn't it strange how some people like yourself twist stuff around in their head and come up with something they want it to mean. I am not interested in what you think but this a forum and l am replying. Sad thing about the written word here is enough cannot be said, wish l was face to face and perhaps you just might understand my thoughts, but l doubt it.:D

so now you are threatening me? :lol:

or am I twisting that one as well? Hey I will meet anyone, differnt people make the world go round, it would be pretty sad if we were all the same. In real life though I tend to avoid the people with a chip on their shoulder or people who think they should get more respect than they deserve, or people that moan and complain when they don't get their own way, and people with a false sense of their own importance. In real life we can choose our friends, on a forum we can choose to like some peoples leanings but not the person as we don't know the person, this is what makes the complaints about the reputation feature so laughable, it means nothing in the real world.

Hopefully you can take that and tie it to one particular poster on here (not you). You don't have too many, you have been on here 3 years and I have never noticed you before so you are clearly not controversial haha.

Anyway send me a pm if that was an invitation for fisticuffs, alternatively if it was in invitation to a reasonable conversation feel free to send me a pm and I will let you know where I am, I noticed the veiled insult about my intelligence but you may just be surprised, just don't expect to be meeting a sheep.

• Like 1

I must make an observation JT, you are opposed the red/green thingy's but today you gave a guy a green for giving you info on finding

Passion Tea or similar in LOS, where before the thingy's you would have replied with thanks. So you do like to use them when in fact you state you want to opt out.:).

I use them because they are used on me. So we are all in the game whether we like it or not. Yes I understand I could just decide not to give any marks and don't knock people who respond to the inanity that way. This makes sense to me anyway. I would like the option to be able to turn off the feature entirely for myself so I can't give or get any marks, I really want out of the game entirely, but the management of the board doesn't allow that.

Edited by Jingthing

So if l tell you it will make it all right to post lots, that smacks of a discrimination thought. Few years back l spent many hours fooling with my race car hobby but nobody told me l was a sado for doing it, only the wife :D and l wonder how many hours Mr. Average spends in front of the tele, which l don't, so to have the other guy say theres something wrong with me for reading and posting on a forum is out of order. Some guys here have mega posts, don't know how they do it but it's their life and their fun.

With the exception of rock stars and world leaders, i think you'll find just about everybody in the developed world spends hours and hours of their lives engaged in rather banal activities. What makes one person look down on and judge another person for the banal activity that they enjoy, i really don't know. Perhaps these people are the exception and they spend their free time (whilst not here on Thaivisa) helping out at the local orphanage.

Edited by rixalex

My big thing these past few months was to be able to embed U toob things.

Don't mention reds and greens to me.

Sounds too like gold stars in kindergarten.

Same thing Over There, don't care.

I potter around and add my comments and hope that they are ok. I am not rude (too much) and enjoy the banter.

You get a greenie just because you have a kitty cat in your picture. :D

I think we must allow for a little cognitive dissonance as we get used to a new system, especially one that might impact on our self image.

Aswe learn in the story of the Zen master and the little boy, "We'll see."

I have to say I didnot know a thing about this reputation thing till this thread. So I looked mine up out of cuiousity. I had all green till the last two which where red and the topic was one that I simply gave a suggestion to on how to get a moving van. Go figure huh.

Well l have just given you a green to countereact one of your reds because l was given a red but it was justified, I have put a notice on the wall in front of my computer asking myself how many beer changs have you had, Note !!! more than two do not post on thaivisa.:whistling:

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

Reputations are meant for what? i am not sure.

there is a poster at the moment who seems to be getting on everyones nerves. theres a girl in the Avator! (clue) :ph34r:

I just took a look at her/his profile and noticed she/he has - 40 in red Reps! shouldnt she be banned by now?

I don't think it means tiddly squat. A person like that could be a clever troll who posts controversial topics, or answers, to start a busy thread and make other people think. If someone is down right nasty then they WILL get a holiday off the forum. But, if they provoke others in a clever manner then it tells more about themselves than the people who respond in kind. Everyone DOES have the option of not responding to obvious trolls or nasty comments. An excessive list of reds or greens doesn't mean a thing... other than a person is busy on the forum.

I don't think it means tiddly squat. A person like that could be a clever troll who posts controversial topics, or answers, to start a busy thread and make other people think. If someone is down right nasty then they WILL get a holiday off the forum. But, if they provoke others in a clever manner then it tells more about themselves than the people who respond in kind. Everyone DOES have the option of not responding to obvious trolls or nasty comments. An excessive list of reds or greens doesn't mean a thing... other than a person is busy on the forum.

quite right. a gentleman's reputation isn't determined by the press of a button even in these enlightened times.

What I don't understand is, why would someone want to kill such a successful franchise by cheapening and degrading it's content with all this petty bullshit. Might as well put some nudie shots on the main page to up clicks. Meanwhile some enterprising person will be thinking about how to start the next decent website relating to Thailand visitors and expats. Nice going George.

That sums it up nicely

I have seen other forums that has a thank you for your post button.

In that case it seems positive.

You can thank someone for a good/useful post

Edited by flying

That sums it up nicely

I have seen other forums that has a thank you for your post button.

In that case it seems positive.

You can thank someone for a good/useful post

That would be an improvement over this current ridiculousness.

Reputations are meant for what? i am not sure.

there is a poster at the moment who seems to be getting on everyones nerves. theres a girl in the Avator! (clue) :ph34r:

I just took a look at her/his profile and noticed she/he has - 40 in red Reps! shouldnt she be banned by now?

Wise man, wise post.

its been a bit quiet lately so maybe this is a ploy to boost numbers. george even started a topic abou the word fuc_k and went so far as bypassing the autoedit to include the 'u' , trying to drum up business. all very trivial. i think they've lost the plot. all downhill from here.

Edited by november222

I thought it was to register your approval (or not) of the post. That is, whether (or not) it made a positive contribution to the discussion / debate. Nothing to do with the personality of the poster. I've hit the green on posts that I've disagreed with, but I thought were well thought out and sensibly structured. I really hadn't seen it as a personal thing.

• Like 1

I thought it was to register your approval (or not) of the post. That is, whether (or not) it made a positive contribution to the discussion / debate. Nothing to do with the personality of the poster. I've hit the green on posts that I've disagreed with, but I thought were well thought out and sensibly structured. I really hadn't seen it as a personal thing.

You sound like an idealist. Edited by Jingthing

You sound like an idealist.

He is an idealist, and I like his ideals.

You have proved my point admirably in twisting what l have said to draw attention to yourself. You obviously do not understand totally and twist the written word to suit you.

So you just might understand , l will put it a different way.

If we were face to face l could explain myself far better with the constant spoken word than writing a few here to get my point across.

OK now. You in my eyes are..., No, forget it, but l suggest you report me for threatening you or you think l have, or tell your mum. :D

How can I be angry with someone that has still not learned who to use the 'quote' feature after 3 years :rolleyes:

and I am sure you can see my twisting as very much tongue in cheek :whistling:

• Like 2

A member with NO POSTS just joined in the last few minutes to give me two reds. I reckon this "new" poster which is most likely an alias of my most dedicated stalker joined just to do this and will probably do it everyday, so I am well on my way to 1000 reds. Sorry, this red thing is all about ABUSE. I am a high volume controversial poster, so I am seeing these things early in the game.

If your accusing me..... and you are insinuating it............. your making a false accusation just so you know.

It's you who posted a snide comment on my page not me

It's you who added yourself as a friend just to be annoying not me

It's you who sent harassing emails every other day for over a week to me, not me harassing you.

I gave you reds based on the content of your posts, just like this insinuating false accusation will get one, you on the other hand have used up all of my 2010 posts and are looking up posts from 2009 just to give me a red which is not the same at all as reading the forum and responding to some post.

Once again it is you doing what you tell others is wrong, making it personal and just looking up posts to mark red rather than just reading the forum and marking one red that you actually find red worthy. Which is what your doing and what you said you would do in one of your unwanted emails

You claim it's about abuse, I'm not sure your behavior in just your giving me reds is abuse but you seem to think it is, I do think in total, that the insinuation that I would make up some name combined with all your other behaviors is harassment, but that's not the topic ....... If you think it's abusive to seek out someones old post just to mark them red why do you do it ?

Your claim in your mind that your only doing what I am doing is simply not true, you are finding old posts with the specific intention to mark them red no matter how far back you need to go in some creepy weird vendetta , I was\am simply reading the forum and responding to what I see.

I stopped posting a week before your last harassing email and my nastygram, in an effort to reduce your obsession with me, but here I am having to defend myself against a harassing false insinuation and personal attack.

I will stop posting for a while longer in hopes that your obsession and harassment subsides(no flouncer) but if you continue to drag me into conversations with false insinuations I guess I will have to respond.

Anyone can go to my name page and look at the page and the reputation part and see quite clearly your obsession, ........my page is\says more about you than me ! I would challenge any sane person to look at that page and not go away thinking how obsessed you are. And of course that doesn't include the unwanted private messages.

I don't care if you want to mark my old post red, it's creepy and weird but it seems to be within the rules, what does bother me is false insinuations and harassment. Like I said in my nastygram please just leave me alone.

All that stuff and now false conspiricy's about me ? Come on dude give it a rest

• Like 1