Anyone Notice The Stop Lights They Are Putting Down Beach Road?

Tokay

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry they are only the newest addition to the city's personal collection of traffic lights.Most probably they will only be switched on for a few days,then switched of again and never to function again.

That's what I'm thinking too. Otherwise, those 700 baht buses, giant tour buses and a million drunk people on motobikes are in for some parking lot time.

Traffic lights on straight sections of road, great idea.

and no doubt like all the other similar traffic lights they will not be synchronised to be green at the same time so all vehicles will have to stop at EVERY light.

And there's still junctions that don't have traffic light that badly need them.

Traffic lights on straight sections of road, great idea.

and no doubt like all the other similar traffic lights they will not be synchronised to be green at the same time so all vehicles will have to stop at EVERY light.

And there's still junctions that don't have traffic light that badly need them.

think once on the pedestrian way

you want to cross the beachroad, if you do it now,you have to run for your live

if you drive a car, you think that stupid pedestrian

thats why in europ they protect them

its difficult to understand

if one time you are driver the other time you are walking

hope the ilghts will work and respected

is there a council member who have a trafficlight factory? mjam mjam

• Like 1

Yes! I got a good laugh off the one for eastbound traffic off beach road at pattaya klang. So as you take the blind left turn off beach road onto klang theres the light!

This from the same city planners who moved the childrens attractions off the walkway and onto the deadly sewage drain cover (with lots of gaps to fall into) at the fountain on beach road and pattaya nua.........brilliant!

Why didn't they use the traffic lights from the railway road? lots of lights that will never work!

Re-cycling doesn't pay?

They did turn the 'railway road' lights on - unfortunately people waitng at the quiet roads thought it stupid to wait at a red when there iwas no traffic - just crossed against the lights - many accidents- so the safest thing to do was turn them off.!! TIT

What people don't seem to understand is that these lights will be controlled by pedestrians. The lights will remain green until a pedestrian pushes a button, the pedestrian walss when he/she gets the signal to cross, then the traffic lights turn green again. The system seems to work quite well in London, New York and other large cities.

But, and this is a big but, the number of lights they are putting up on 2nd Road and Beach Road seem to be overkill - there are far too many of them. Probably vested interests again. I can imagine the conversation in City Hall: "Put one up next to my brother's shop, so people can get to it easily", or "I need one in front of my hotel". In other countries they are mostly at road junctions, or outside schools (which is where they should be). I reckon the ones we have here will either cause massive jams, or will be totally ignored by the local drivers (both Thai and farang), and pedestrians will still have to run for their lives...

B) The city should employ Lady Boys as crossing guards eveary 50 feet.:ermm:

^do you think a pedestrian will walk 100m in the opposite direction to where they want to be to cross the road at the lights and then walk back again? or just cross where they're stood?

I think they would walk the 100 m "in the opposite direction" if they set it up like in some areas of Bangkok where they have barriers which prevent you from crossing. A pedestrian overpass would be the best idea.

I reckon they're part of a set for the remake of Death Race 2000.

They're there to lure unsuspecting Farang tourists onto them so they can be mown down, just like what happens on the existing zebra crossings on Second Road.

I must be lucky. I've never seen a tourist being mowed down at the zebra crossing.

They're there to lure unsuspecting Farang tourists onto them so they can be mown down, just like what happens on the existing zebra crossings on Second Road.

I must be lucky. I've never seen a tourist being mowed down at the zebra crossing.

Try crossing there yourself someday! and see how close you come.

I don't have problems crossing roads, but it does take some skill and patience. The point is, everyone goes on about how dangerous it is but we never see reports of pedistrians being squashed. If it is actually as dangerous as you suggest it is then we should be seeing daily reports, and the media here does report just about every grizzly death in the city.

The baht buses are quite happy to stop if you make a gesture and walk out in front of them. Although Thai traffic seems totally crazy, they are a tolerant bunch compared to Westerners and easily forgive other road users for "transgressions". In true "when in Rome" fashion, I've adapted my riding to the Thai way after many years on the road here. I'd be shot back in Oz doing using some of the "techniques" I use here.

Edited by tropo

There are a LOT of accidents in Pattaya central, both pedestrian, and car, but only the bigger ones are in the paper. The reports that you see are just when a farang is involved or many Thai's. If you stay at the bar all day, then you might not see many, but if you ride around a bit like I do, then you will see motor bike wrecks everywhere. I get across the roads pretty good too, but that doesnt mean that one day, my number will come up.

PS. Sure the baht buses are happy to stop for you, thats how they make money!! But they are just as happy to screw up all the traffic on the road, so they can get their 10 baht. We cant live with them, and we cant live without them, If two thirds of them were sent to the wreckers, traffic would move much better, and the one third of them that are left, would make a decent wage. Now its dog eat dog. As someone else pointed out, if your trying to cross the road, and waiting for traffic, a stupid baht bus will stop in your way, so traffic backs up behind him, and you cant cross anyway. They even think if you are walking in one direction, that you will see their bus, and change your mind and go in their direction!

I guess the media focusing on these "grizzly" matters is due to their penchant for reporting the bear facts.....

btw why not just put travelators the entire length of beach road

everyone is already trained to use them at the monstrous new airport and the distance along beach road can't be much further...

I don't have problems crossing roads, but it does take some skill and patience. The point is, everyone goes on about how dangerous it is but we never see reports of pedistrians being squashed. If it is actually as dangerous as you suggest it is then we should be seeing daily reports, and the media here does report just about every grizzly death in the city.

The baht buses are quite happy to stop if you make a gesture and walk out in front of them. Although Thai traffic seems totally crazy, they are a tolerant bunch compared to Westerners and easily forgive other road users for "transgressions". In true "when in Rome" fashion, I've adapted my riding to the Thai way after many years on the road here. I'd be shot back in Oz doing using some of the "techniques" I use here.

There are a LOT of accidents in Pattaya central, both pedestrian, and car, but only the bigger ones are in the paper. The reports that you see are just when a farang is involved or many Thai's. If you stay at the bar all day, then you might not see many, but if you ride around a bit like I do, then you will see motor bike wrecks everywhere. I get across the roads pretty good too, but that doesnt mean that one day, my number will come up.

Why would you assume that if I haven't seen pedestrians geting squashed, I spend all my time in bars and don't ride around a bit like you do? There's a good chance I ride around more than you do and I never spend time drinking in bars.

Please point me to the last report you've seen of a tourist being killed crossing the road. They would all be reported here.

PS. Sure the baht buses are happy to stop for you, thats how they make money!! But they are just as happy to screw up all the traffic on the road, so they can get their 10 baht. We cant live with them, and we cant live without them, If two thirds of them were sent to the wreckers, traffic would move much better, and the one third of them that are left, would make a decent wage. Now its dog eat dog. As someone else pointed out, if your trying to cross the road, and waiting for traffic, a stupid baht bus will stop in your way, so traffic backs up behind him, and you cant cross anyway. They even think if you are walking in one direction, that you will see their bus, and change your mind and go in their direction!

The baht buses certainly do screw up traffic. One of their main functions is to slow the traffic to a standstill around the tourist loop. Although this is mighty frustrating to the average driver in town, this makes the road safer, not more dangerous. Sukhumvit Road, where traffic constantly moves at speeds above 80km/h is very dangerous by comparison. As a motorcyclist, that's where I become nervous.

Sorry, I didnt realize that one of the functions of the baht bus was to slow traffic down, so it would be safe. Thank you for pointing that out to me. Also I didnt know that all accidents involving a farang must be reported in TV, but then I havent been a member that long, so cant really say.

Sorry, I didnt realize that one of the functions of the baht bus was to slow traffic down, so it would be safe. Thank you for pointing that out to me. Also I didnt know that all accidents involving a farang must be reported in TV, but then I havent been a member that long, so cant really say.

I thought it was obvious.

Most of the baht buses ride around the tourist loop empty, so it follows that their main function is to congest the roads and slow down traffic. This makes it safer for pedestrians.

Edited by tropo

do you mean grisly or have we got grizzly bears here now as well