Anyone Notice The Stop Lights They Are Putting Down Beach Road?

Tokay

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i didnt think this argument would every stop. the traffic here is perfect and no one should complain about it. i have never seen a motocy going in the wrong direction, and baht buses are always polite to pedestrians. case closed!

It's a pretty dumb post, but you do have a point. I know it's a British tradition, but complaining about anything in Thailand is a waste of time and energy and will achieve absolutely nothing. Case closed!

Where did I say that I didn't "grasp" why a light can be red 3 times longer then it is green.

Looking for something?

It was pretty clear in your post that you were diestressed over lights staying red for 12 minutes and green for only 4. Your level of distress indicated you didn't quite grasp how lights at intersections work.

yeah better red than dead--------------or was it the other way round-----------anybody have mcarthys phone number i can ask him

Speaking of Pattaya traffic lights, why is it that the digital timers display only the last 10 seconds of the countdown, instead of the entire time?

e.g. If the traffic light turns red, and I see that I have 720 seconds (12 minutes), I could relax and maybe thumb through a magazine or something.

In a perfect world, everybody would turn off their engines until the last 10 seconds, cutting down on pollution and fuel usage...

Speaking of Pattaya traffic lights, why is it that the digital timers display only the last 10 seconds of the countdown, instead of the entire time?

e.g. If the traffic light turns red, and I see that I have 720 seconds (12 minutes), I could relax and maybe thumb through a magazine or something.

In a perfect world, everybody would turn off their engines until the last 10 seconds, cutting down on pollution and fuel usage...

Probably because the technician can't count further then 10.

They used to when they were first installed, maybe they changed it because it took away the the BiB's ability to create total chaos overriding them. I just love sitting at traffic lights for 5-6 minutes watching every vehicle in ChristendomBuddhadom pass by, then finally when the stream reduces to a drip you have to sit there another 10 seconds with nothing coming while the lights count down. At least with my eco-friendly Honda PCX the engine cuts out automatically after a few seconds and I only have to breathe the polluted air rather than contribute more to it while I'm sitting there! :jap:

Edited by gmac

Traffic lights on straight sections of road, great idea.

and no doubt like all the other similar traffic lights they will not be synchronised to be green at the same time so all vehicles will have to stop at EVERY light.

And there's still junctions that don't have traffic light that badly need them.

At least it will help the more challenged of pedestrians to cross the street safely.

After living here for 6 years, I have become such a pessimist when it comes to city projects. Last week as I was walking along Beach Road near the Holiday Inn, there were "workers" putting in the electric cable for the crossing light there. First, the cable (in my opinion - I am not an electrician) was being placed only about 8 - 10 centimeters below the ground; infact, just below the walkway blocks the workers were removing. If I was doing the job, I would make sure the electric cabel (water proof?) was further deep in the soil and that the wire was in a thin pvc pipe for protecton or had thicker rubber around it. Next, the chaps who were doing the work, looked like they were high school kids pulled off the beach (maybe relatives of the city officials? They didn't give me an impression that they had worked with brick or a shovel before.) So why don't the city check on the quality of the work that is done behind the scenes that just looking at the purchased product. (The security cameras would be an example. How many of those work now?)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

But maybe he can write "than" correctly.

...and maybe you could learn the difference between "typing" and "writing"....and look up Skitt's Law while you're at it.

Mods, I think there is something wrong with this thread as every time I click on it expecting to read something about traffic lights I come upon a discussion about the correct use of English! :whistling:

I quite agree but I too was fascinated with the definition of Skitt's Law so now we have got that out of the way lets get back on to the fascinating subject of

Stop Lights They Are Putting Down Beach Road

Can anyone really see the native's stopping,' running the gauntlet' crossing thai roads thinking your safe will very soon become a game of squash the lang! They seem to have gone a bit OTT with them too. Though there should be one outside foodland risking life and limb to cross over and use the k-bank atm to save the 20b is going to be the end of me.

I quite agree but I too was fascinated with the definition of Skitt's Law so now we have got that out of the way lets get back on to the fascinating subject of

Sorry, but I couldn't resist (again). The Corollary of Skitt's Law is priceless:

"No matter how carefully or how many times you read your post, you will not notice at least one spelling or grammatical error until after you click submit"

On Thaivisa these errors are only found after the edit time has elapsed.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist (again). The Corollary of Skitt's Law is priceless:

"No matter how carefully or how many times you read your post, you will not notice at least one spelling or grammatical error until after you click submit"

On Thaivisa these errors are only found after the edit time has elapsed.

This is true!! Very true :D

Anyone else remember the lights they put on Second Rd by Mikes's Department store? The most they did was flash orange. After some time, they removed them.

Hopefully the new ones will work, but will the locals stop?

I think it's all part of the plan to move Pattaya upmarket. Someone in City Hall must have realised that rich westerners are not going to come somewhere that they have a good chance of getting killed just crossing the road, and it's an attempt to do something about it.

Whether it works is to be seen.

Anyone else remember the lights they put on Second Rd by Mikes's Department store? The most they did was flash orange. After some time, they removed them.

Hopefully the new ones will work, but will the locals stop?

I think it's all part of the plan to move Pattaya upmarket. Someone in City Hall must have realised that rich westerners are not going to come somewhere that they have a good chance of getting killed just crossing the road, and it's an attempt to do something about it.

Whether it works is to be seen.

Let me give you an example.

Last week they put in function again the traffic lights at the cross section of Soi Khao talo with the railway roads.It was the only cross section that was reinstalled and actually this time they had the timing quite right as I never experienced a long queue in the about 6 days they functioned.Of course dozens of locals decided that these set of lights didn't apply to them.

Then on Thursday I think I was waiting for the red light,coming down from Khao talo and the railway barriers were closed at the same time.

There were maybe 5 or 6 employees of the railroads present at that time because they were working something and near the entrance of the hotel was 1 policemen issueing tickets for people with no helmets.

Then certainly some guy on a motorbike comes from the opposite direction,jumps the red traffic light at his side,rides between the closed railroad barriers,jumps the second red traffic light that is placed passed the railway.............and at the cross section get hit with some speed by a car that was driving on the railway roads and had the green light.

I haven't waited to what the outcome would be as the barriers opened soon after the train passed,but I noticed that the same evening the traffis lights were disconnected again.

So what is your guess as to if the locals will respect the new lights.

Warning: Forget about crossing Beach rd with a green walk light.

I just tested two lights between P.Nua and P.Klang. I hit the walk button and 20 sec later the green light goes on for walk and the red light for traffic to stop.

The red light was completely ignored by drivers , about 20 of them , except for a few that stopped and then a motorbike went through the middle.

Another worthless project , how many accidents will it take before they have to remove the ligts and do it right with ped overpasses.

Red lights dont stop cars- breaks do.

I just tested two lights between P.Nua and P.Klang. I hit the walk button and 20 sec later the green light goes on for walk and the red light for traffic to stop.

The red light was completely ignored by drivers , about 20 of them , except for a few that stopped and then a motorbike went through the middle.

Another worthless project , how many accidents will it take before they have to remove the ligts and do it right with ped overpasses.

So, traffic rules are being ignored;

aides in order to help people remind them of the existance of traffic rules are being ignored;

the people who look after the aides to help people to remind them of the existance of traffic rules are being ignored;

uhmmmmm........let's carry guns and shoot the traffic offenders; that'll stop them.

aides in order to help people remind them of the existance of traffic rules are being ignored;

the people who look after the aides to help people to remind them of the existance of traffic rules are being ignored;

uhmmmmm........let's carry guns and shoot the traffic offenders; that'll stop them.

Push an empty shopping cart in front of you.

Well since there's a whole lot of foreigners swanning about Pattaya in great big f*ckoff Fortuners and 4x4's, they should be setting the example for the locals and stopping at each new red light... just like they do when they come across regular uncontrolled zebra crossings.

When in Thailand....

Actually looking forward to my first cruise down the right-lane on Beach Road this weekend and hope the red lights are working as it will give me more time to scope out a hottie freelancer on the sidewalk.

Beep, beep my arse!

Get thee behind me Somchai!

BTW, the earlier suggestion for katoey crossing guards is quite a good one IMHO.

Well since there's a whole lot of foreigners swanning about Pattaya in great big f*ckoff Fortuners and 4x4's, they should be setting the example for the locals and stopping at each new red light... just like they do when they come across regular uncontrolled zebra crossings.

When in Thailand....

Actually looking forward to my first cruise down the right-lane on Beach Road this weekend and hope the red lights are working as it will give me more time to scope out a hottie freelancer on the sidewalk.

Beep, beep my arse!

BTW, the earlier suggestion for katoey crossing guards is quite a good one IMHO.

You may have noticed a number of new signs around town stating: "left turn waiting for light". I nearly got run over "waiting for light" the other day. I wouldn't recommend it.

When in Thailand....

Beep, beep my arse!

I USED to stop at pedestrian crossings in my medium sized SUV, I stopped doing this as all I was doing was endangering the lives of those who wanted to cross, as nobody else will follow suit, they figured If one car stopped, all would stop, wrong - not to mention the motor bikes who are always in a hurry to go nowhere!

:lol: Did I type that? :whistling:

Sounds like they could be good tea money collection points for the BiB?