Anyone Notice The Stop Lights They Are Putting Down Beach Road?

Tokay

When you come off Pattaya Klang and go left along Beach Road, there are TWO sets of crossings painted on the road within 10 (ten) metres of each other!!, are they expecting a rush of pedestrians in this area or what?

No they are just a " bonus " option to collect double points.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you come off Pattaya Klang and go left along Beach Road, there are TWO sets of crossings painted on the road within 10 (ten) metres of each other!!, are they expecting a rush of pedestrians in this area or what?

These painted crossings are dangerous because many tourists have the mistaken belief that Thai motorists will stop at them.

These painted crossings are dangerous because many tourists have the mistaken belief that Thai motorists will stop at them.

You are right Tropo, i think i said in another thread on TV, exactly that - Europeans will se this as a "recommended" crossing and get run down, fuc_kin ridiculious!!!

well there was the poor old fellow who was mowed down last week on second road albeit.......

Yeah, there was this poor old fellow who was mowed down last week. You can't protect people from themselves can you? If people are too old to cross roads then they shouldn't be left out on their own. On 2nd Road (and Beach Road) you only have to look one way.

No, that is very dangerous advice. TIT. Look both ways even on a (supposedly) one way street.

well there was the poor old fellow who was mowed down last week on second road albeit.......

Yeah, there was this poor old fellow who was mowed down last week. You can't protect people from themselves can you? If people are too old to cross roads then they shouldn't be left out on their own. On 2nd Road (and Beach Road) you only have to look one way.

No, that is very dangerous advice. TIT. Look both ways even on a (supposedly) one way street.

Not when crossing Beach Road. Keep your eyes fixed on the traffic coming straight at you.

Not when crossing Beach Road. Keep your eyes fixed on the traffic coming straight at you.

I've never understood Beach Road, why is it that you rarely come across bikes going the wrong way? Crossing the road there with only the baht buses either slowing down or speeding up to make it more difficult to cross (or stopping right i front of you as you cross :annoyed:) makes it an almost boringly easy experience without the added thrill that you might be mown down by a motorbike on your blind side at any moment! I really enjoy crossing 2nd road near to the Soi Diana (Kiss Restaurant corner) turn towards Soi Soi Buakao where I swear that more Motocy taxis pull out and turn left (against the traffic flow) than turn right with the proper flow of traffic. :ph34r:

Edited by gmac

So now you agree with me!

I witnessed an Indian man get PLOWED cross beach road a few weeks ago. He looked at the coming traffic, started to cross the road, and got nailed by a motor bike going the wrong way.

Both the bike and the man went down. I wasn't close enough to hear the discussion with the police when they came, but it looked like the Indian got a ticket and also had to cash out the driver of the bike.

Point is, the lights are meaningless when they drive the wrong way on a one way street. :ph34r:

I witnessed an Indian man get PLOWED cross beach road a few weeks ago. He looked at the coming traffic, started to cross the road, and got nailed by a motor bike going the wrong way.

Both the bike and the man went down. I wasn't close enough to hear the discussion with the police when they came, but it looked like the Indian got a ticket and also had to cash out the driver of the bike.

Point is, the lights are meaningless when they drive the wrong way on a one way street. :ph34r:

They were discussing payment, so it must have been a pretty minor incident.

For every rider going up the wrong way, you'd have 10 jumping the lights. They're meaningless for many reasons but the main problem is that the Beach Road is 2.8 km long with people coming up from the beach all the way along it. Only a small percentage of pedestrians would walk any distance to a set of lights just to cross a narrow road. You'd have to put so many sets of lights along it that it would become totally useless as a road. There isn't a solution.

this may qualify as the most dangerous advice ever given on thaivisa.....never ever cross ANY road unless being cognizant of what is happening in ALL directions....even quickly glancing down is not a bad idea to avoid falling in a sewer drain and looking up, while not quite as necessary could save you from falling debris such as coconuts, meteorites, space shuttle debris and errr swan divers......

This evening I noticed that the lights for the pedestrian crossing at the bus station on North Road were switched on for the first time. However, they are fixed on flashing orange and the button to press for changing the lights for crossing doesn't do anything at the moment, other than continually bleeping with a red light. Obviously done by design while lights are fixed on flashing orange. Guess the lights will stay like this for a while until ready to change to full operation.

Unfortunately, despite the lights flashing orange and the flood light lighting up the crossing, two pedestrians did struggle a little to cross this busy part of the road, although some traffic did slow down and the couple did make it to the other side safely.

Funny about the poster placement fail in the last photo.

post-17683-047600200 1286895003_thumb.jp

post-17683-070306900 1286895010_thumb.jp

post-17683-077623400 1286895016_thumb.jp

post-17683-009625800 1286895025_thumb.jp

Edited by TomBrown

This evening I noticed that the lights for the pedestrian crossing at the bus station on North Road were switched on for the first time. However, they are fixed on flashing orange and the button to press for changing the lights for crossing doesn't do anything at the moment, other than continually bleeping with a red light. Obviously done by design while lights are fixed on flashing orange. Guess the lights will stay like this for a while until ready to change to full operation.

Unfortunately, despite the lights flashing orange and the flood light lighting up the crossing, two pedestrians did struggle a little to cross this busy part of the road, although some traffic did slow down and the couple did make it to the other side safely.

Funny about the poster placement fail in the last photo.

Judging from the 4th photo showing an orange flashing light for the traffic and a 'red man' on the pedestrian side they have actually made the situation worse than a normal pedestrian crossing. The flashing amber light effectively gives the motorist the priority (albeit to proceed with caution) whereas on a standard crossing without lights the priority is with the pedestrian. Not that you would know it of course from the blatant disregard shown for them by Thai motorists!

I don't see your point. Wouldn't it be that when the lights are fully operational, the traffic lights will change to red when people want to cross with just a press of the button and all other times would be green for traffic to continue.

Presumably as not all the lights are operational around the city quite yet, the ones that are will remain flashing amber for the time being and act as a gradual warning to drivers.

Even in its current operation, a lit up crossing is good and even the overhead flashing amber and led pedestrian crossing sign is also good.

I don't see your point. Wouldn't it be that when the lights are fully operational, the traffic lights will change to red when people want to cross with just a press of the button and all other times would be green for traffic to continue.

Presumably as not all the lights are operational around the city quite yet, the ones that are will remain flashing amber for the time being and act as a gradual warning to drivers.

Even in its current operation, a lit up crossing is good and even the overhead flashing amber and led pedestrian crossing sign is also good.

Saw them live myself today and have to say they are indeed a vast improvement. The flashing amber certainly got my attention and there is also a green light showing, which I hadn't noticed in the photo, which presumably turns red when the button is pushed by a pedestrian.

It SHOULD be a good system but we will just have to wait and see if the Thais actually obey them in practise, and indeed if they do not remain on red for too long, as most traffic lights in Pattaya do, which immediately would lead to jumping them if no-one is crossing, and ultimately to the contempt with which lights in general appear to be treated in Thailand.

Saw today that they have put a similar setup of pedestrian lights on South Pattaya road at the entrance of Big C.

Then regarding the cycle time.Has anyone noticed that since about a week now at night starting from around 6 Pm they change the cycle time of ALL trafffic lights in pattaya and even on sukhumvith to something like 4 minutes.This mean that every traffic light has green for 4 minutes but will have red for 12 minutes,this creating huge traffic jams in all directions.Any guesses why they got this luminous idea?

Saw today that they have put a similar setup of pedestrian lights on South Pattaya road at the entrance of Big C.

Then regarding the cycle time.Has anyone noticed that since about a week now at night starting from around 6 Pm they change the cycle time of ALL trafffic lights in pattaya and even on sukhumvith to something like 4 minutes.This mean that every traffic light has green for 4 minutes but will have red for 12 minutes,this creating huge traffic jams in all directions.Any guesses why they got this luminous idea?

Some intersections will have 3 directions to control, in which case 4 x 3 = 12 would make sense. For example, Pattaya Tai - 3rd Road intersection.

Some intersections will have 3 directions to control, in which case 4 x 3 = 12 would make sense. For example, Pattaya Tai - 3rd Road intersection.

I can count myself to 12 don't worry.My point is that waiting 12 minutes at a red light is much too long.It creates traffic jams and those queues again block side streets with as result a traffic jam in those side streets as well.It also encourage red light jumping because thai people don't like to wait with as result that the crossroads get blocked and after a short time the whole of pattaya traffic is blocked.

Oh that's maybe their point,make it look busy while there is nobody around.

I can count myself to 12 don't worry.My point is that waiting 12 minutes at a red light is much too long.It creates traffic jams and those queues again block side streets with as result a traffic jam in those side streets as well.It also encourage red light jumping because thai people don't like to wait with as result that the crossroads get blocked and after a short time the whole of pattaya traffic is blocked.

Perhaps you can count to 12, but you didn't seem to grasp why a light can be red 3 times longer than it's green. Such is the case at every intersection.

Perhaps you can count to 12, but you didn't seem to grasp why a light can be red 3 times longer than it's green. Such is the case at every intersection.

Where did I say that I didn't "grasp" why a light can be red 3 times longer then it is green.

Looking for something?

Where did I say that I didn't "grasp" why a light can be red 3 times longer then it is green.

Looking for something?

It was pretty clear in your post that you were diestressed over lights staying red for 12 minutes and green for only 4. Your level of distress indicated you didn't quite grasp how lights at intersections work.

Looking for something?

It was pretty clear in your post that you were diestressed over lights staying red for 12 minutes and green for only 4. Your level of distress indicated you didn't quite grasp how lights at intersections work.

:violin::coffee1:

Basjke

Pls don't feed the troll.....

Looking for something?

:violin::coffee1:

Basjke

Pls don't feed the troll.....

Mr Utterlyuseless, you're the definition of a troll:

A troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

This is exactly what you do.

(I'll see you on the next thread as you obviously have a hard-on for me)

Edited by tropo