Nepalese Green Card-Holder Deported From Bangkok After 18-Hour Detention

webfact

Airport visa goof-up in holiday horror

- Nepalese green card-holder deported to city from Bangkok after 18-hour detention

SANJAY MANDAL

A US-based Nepalese homemaker headed for a holiday in Thailand via Calcutta was cleared for boarding at the city airport despite not holding a Thai visa, leaving her to face 18 hours of detention in Bangkok before she was deported.

Tsomala Lama, 33, has accused Thai Airways and immigration officials at the city airport of misleading her into thinking that she was eligible for the tourist visa-on-arrival facility at Suvarnabhumi and other airports in Thailand.

“No official at the Thai Airways or immigration counter told me that a passenger passing through a third country doesn’t qualify for a visa on arrival, irrespective of nationality,” she told Metro on Monday, recounting the holiday that went horribly wrong.

On discovering that she was not carrying a visa, officials at Suvarnabhumi airport had threatened her with indefinite detention and a fine of $10,000. “I was so scared….Those 18 hours that I spent there were traumatic,” she recalled.

A senior immigration official said California resident Tsomala, who holds a Nepalese passport and an American green card, wouldn’t have got a tourist visa on arrival in Bangkok even if she had travelled directly from the US. “Thailand doesn’t offer that facility to some countries, including Nepal. Since the lady holds a Nepalese passport, she would need to apply for and get a visa either in Nepal or the US, where she enjoys permanent residency,” he added.

If Tsomala was ignorant about the Thai visa rule, what about the officials who allowed her to board the Bangkok flight on Saturday night? Vutichai Kampanartsanyakorn, the city-based general manager of Thai Airways, said: “This is surprising. I will look into the matter. Even if our staff gave her a boarding pass, she should have been stopped at immigration.”

Shakil Ahmed, the foreigners’ regional registration officer for eastern India, insisted he was unaware of any such incident at the city airport. “In any case, the onus is on the receiving country to allow or deny entry to anybody.”

For Tsomala, the visa fiasco means returning to Kathmandu, where she had spent some time before arriving in Calcutta on Saturday morning, to join the four friends with whom she was booked on Sunday’s 2am flight to Bangkok.

“Her friends are still in Thailand. She returned around 12.45am on Monday and will be leaving for north Bengal en route to Nepal on Tuesday,” a source said.

source: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100921/jsp/calcutta/story_12960145.jsp

The Telegraph

Calcutta

2010-09-24

footer_n.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may not be the best section to post this but the article makes me wonder so I'll try here first.

My wife is Laos with a US green card. We will go to Thailand this Christmas. She would also like to go to Laos and we will return to the USA shortly after New Year's. Does anyone know at which points she should show her Laos passport and at which points she should show her US green card? My understanding is

At the airport in the USA departing to Thailand just show her Laos Passport

At immigration in Thailand show her Laos Passport

Going from Thailand to Laos show her Laos Passport

Going from Laos to Thailand show her Laos Passport

At the Thai airport returning to the US show her Green Card and Laos passport

At immigration in the USA show her green card and Laos passport

• Like 1

This may not be the best section to post this but the article makes me wonder so I'll try here first.

My wife is Laos with a US green card. We will go to Thailand this Christmas. She would also like to go to Laos and we will return to the USA shortly after New Year's. Does anyone know at which points she should show her Laos passport and at which points she should show her US green card? My understanding is

At the airport in the USA departing to Thailand just show her Laos Passport

At immigration in Thailand show her Laos Passport

Going from Thailand to Laos show her Laos Passport

Going from Laos to Thailand show her Laos Passport

At the Thai airport returning to the US show her Green Card and Laos passport

At immigration in the USA show her green card and Laos passport

Looks correct to me. I and my g/f travel around Asean countries quite a bit and she has no trouble getting up to three weeks without any visa, as she is an ASEAN citizen.

But I am based in Vietnam, don't do border crossings Thailand/Laos very often. Fly in from Hanoi. Better than the train to Nhon Khai.

OK, she made a big mistake. That's what it is a mistake. She is perma resident of US and passport holder.

What was the kindness and courtesy extended to this holiday goer? Massive fines and jail time.

What the hel_l is wrong with this country?

It is truly looking more like the Philippines every day except my hunch is she would have been treated far more politely there.

• Like 1

“No official at the Thai Airways or immigration counter told me that a passenger passing through a third country doesn’t qualify for a visa on arrival, irrespective of nationality,” she told Metro on Monday, recounting the holiday that went horribly wrong.

This is clearly not the case. how many people do a visa run and receive a visa on arrival - hundreds every day.

If a Thai lady was refuse entry at a US port even though she have a US visa, will that make news? NO. This Nap girl has no visa, so she should shut up, and go back the way she arrives. Even if she has a visa, it is up to the immigration officer at the port of entry to decide. I am sorry if she does not know that. The airlines is there to do a quick screening, however the responsibility is with the passengers. Airlines do get a fine when their passengers get rejected. Further more departing immigration does NOT care which countries you are intending to go, as it is not their job. If such thing can makes news, everyday tens (if not hundreds) of us (Thai women) are turn away from entries in various countries, with or without visa. Reason can varies if we are suspected of trying to gain illegal employment, or some because we are too sexy or dress like Paris Hilton. . . . . . There is discussion going on somewhere in ThaiVisa about such thing.

• Like 2

She has a green card, so what. I have a "beyond" platinum card. Green card cannot make payment nor withdraw cash. Who cares about green card outside USA. If I am the immigration office, I would politely tell the girl to put the green card away, as I won't be interested; and stop threatening me. Have green card does not make her my mother. I am only interested in her Nap passport, her real intention to visit Thailand, if she has the mean to support herself, any hidden agenda, is she likely to take up illegal employment, and will she be leaving Thailand after her intended stay, etc. . . . As the article is only a one sided story, I will take it with a bucket of salt. . . . http://thaicatwalk.com/wordpress/2009/08/scb-beyond-platinum/

She may well be a mail order bride but she judging by her comments - far from it.

I can tell you that if she would have somehow got to the us shores and not had a visa she would not be threatened with a fine or jail. they would have simply put her on a plane and off shed go.

really poor form - but consider the source. Honestly, I don't know why people holiday here any more.

Hidden agenda - it is to laugh. Appears she is working or at least married and holds perm res status in the US. And the residence passport (US green) should matter at least to teh point she is not threatened to be tossed in jail like a common criminal.

what about the officials who allowed her to board the Bangkok flight on Saturday night? Vutichai Kampanartsanyakorn, the city-based general manager of Thai Airways, said: “This is surprising.I will look into the matter.

Good answer, Vutichai. You will look into, yeah.... Any doubts??

Anyway, will that help to ALL of your incompetent TH staff around the world to do their job PROPERLY, even such of small things as to check visas prior the boarding???

Welcome to Thailand, Nap. If you'll managed to visit here - you would see MANY and MANY proves of incompetence. Noone cares. YAWN. :jap:

Edited by alex_aka_P

Please note, I misread this:

holds a Nepalese passport and an American green card,

I still think its way harsh. This is or was a country that used to pride itself on being polite - its obvious those days are long behind us.

It's not harsh. Harsh would have been lengthy jail time and/or abuse. They merely gave her a harsh warning. The fact remains that her country didn't have any pre-existing visa agreements with Thailand. Plus she tried to push the "I have a U.S. green card" reason onto them. Which probably pissed them off more.

The Green Card is for entry to the USA.

Why should Thailand take any notice of it?

I have a permanent residence card for a Middle East country, but it does not

give me amy special privileges in other places in the ME.

She should have checked the visa requirements,

and so should the airline accepting her for travel.

PS the airline will probably be fined for bringing here without a visa.

Edited by somchai69

The Green Card is for entry to the USA.

Why should Thailand take any notice of it?

Probably because she's one of those "married to a western expat" or hi-so princesses you often see from the dirt poor developing world who flash around their european or U.S. visas like it's a diplomatic passport expecting people to be impressed. It may impress the impoverished rubes but immigration people couldn't care less. In fact it probably has the opposite effect, they think you're an arrogant <deleted> and will purposely give you a hard time.

Edited by wintermute
  • Like 1

Sorry to say, but she should have done her research before traveling. Like others posted, the American green card doesn't mean anything outside the U.S.

I often use www.visahq.com for checking whether I need a visa. The site allows you to change the citizenship and country of residence as well as destination country. Very helpful.

(I am in no way affiliated with www.visahq.com other than a user)

She may well be a mail order bride but she judging by her comments - far from it.

I can tell you that if she would have somehow got to the us shores and not had a visa she would not be threatened with a fine or jail. they would have simply put her on a plane and off shed go.

really poor form - but consider the source. Honestly, I don't know why people holiday here any more.

Hidden agenda - it is to laugh. Appears she is working or at least married and holds perm res status in the US. And the residence passport (US green) should matter at least to teh point she is not threatened to be tossed in jail like a common criminal.

She has a nepalease Passport which requires her to get a visa before arriving in Thailand.A US greencard only has meaning in the US it allows one to work legally. Get off the Thai bashing.

Honestly if you have a green card, one could easily develop the "i can do anything attitude/thought process.

America treats the green card holders like any other citizen (preety much) so it is no stretch of the imagination that the green card holder thinks they have the same privaledges as the a USA citizen.

Regardless, a 10K USD fine is a bit much...

I wish her the best and I would advise her husband to encourage her to hurry up and become a US national, thus voiding his I 864 affadavit of support, because every day he is married to her is a gamble that could be worth 100 of thousands of dollars if she divorces him before she is a national.

God help us...

I would have to agree.... "So what if you have a beyond platinum card," in Thailand it represents what.... a line of credit for 30K baht....

Now, on the other hand, that green card represents free entry & stay in to a country that required probably about 700,000 Baht to aquire that card.

The reality is, that "Nap" could probably buy your house, car and all you posessions with one of her credit cards....

Edited by astral
Removing abusive comment
  • Like 1

Poor Nepalese lady!! she came in when the immigration officer had a fight with his wife. 10K USD??? drug dealers with 100kg of ice don't get that size of a fine. Goes to show how Thailand has a systematic way of dealing with non criminal acts!! Stupid

Poor Nepalese lady!! she came in when the immigration officer had a fight with his wife. 10K USD??? drug dealers with 100kg of ice don't get that size of a fine. Goes to show how Thailand has a systematic way of dealing with non criminal acts!! Stupid

I thought that drug dealers with 100 kg drugs will usually spend a very long time in prison. When did the punishment change to a fine of less than 10.000 US$

And one other thing overstay IS a criminal act., and can very easily be avoided by behaving like a guest instead like an intruder. Can't believe this Thailand bashing by

people who apparently live in this country. If you don't like it here, then please move your silly ass back to where it came from.

The airlines (and immigration in India) should have never allowed her to board the plane. I have a US passport and I was once not allowed to board because my passport would be within six months of expiring before I returned. The airlines was very nice and said my ticket would be refunded or re-issued, but they were not going to be responsible for allowing me to board the flight.

I have also been questioned by Singapore Airlines before boarding a flight to Bangkok. They said I needed an onward ticket. I showed them I had a non-immigrant visa and they said that was fine.

Most airlines are very careful.

I don't know of very many countries that would allow someone entry to their country without the proper documentation. In this case, the probable threat for a fine and jail time was probably stated if they had reason to believe that this person was intentionally trying to enter the country illegally.

I am sure it was very unpleasant experience for the person involved and it's sad that she made all the way to Bangkok only to be sent back.

I thought that drug dealers with 100 kg drugs will usually spend a very long time in prison. When did the punishment change to a fine of less than 10.000 US$

And one other thing overstay IS a criminal act., and can very easily be avoided by behaving like a guest instead like an intruder. Can't believe this Thailand bashing by

people who apparently live in this country. If you don't like it here, then please move your silly ass back to where it came from.

Sorry to say I am thai, actually dual citizen, thanks to the holes in thai law. People who didn't grow up in thailand only see the shell. Try meeting people who really know the truth!! Did anyone actually see indictments of drug traffickers caught at Suvanabhumi airport? or only the arrest is publicized? where is proof of jail time? no where to be found

She will learn the lesson that travel to any country need visa and have to be checked before departs....

I am sure the lesson could have been learned without the threat (or atempt of theft) of a 10K fine. Sitting on a plane for around 40hrs+ is a lesson well enough.

The airline should have verified that the ladies documents included a visa for Thailand prior to allowing her to board the flight. As she was denied entry to Thailand by immigration, how/why would a possible fine or jail, even be mentioned?

There are legal ways around a situation like this, in some countries, but doubt the Thai authorities would mention same. Especially after mention of a fine which they could impose, as the legal way is small change.

What is a stupid cow?

Don't worry, he was just picking you up on the fact that you left an 'r' off the word 'office' and then calling you stupid because of that.

It really doesn't matter, I could see you meant 'officer' rather than 'office'. So could he, he was just being pedantic and insulting.

• Like 1

quote name='SamritT' timestamp='1285311674' post='3904491']

I have heard of "holy cow", but I have not heard of "stupid cow". What's that?

A stupid cow is someone who makes remarks like this:

She has a green card, so what. I have a "beyond" platinum card. Green card cannot make payment nor withdraw cash. Who cares about green card outside USA. If I am the immigration office, I would politely tell the girl to put the green card away, as I won't be interested; and stop threatening me. Have green card does not make her my mother. I am only interested in her Nap passport, her real intention to visit Thailand, if she has the mean to support herself, any hidden agenda, is she likely to take up illegal employment, and will she be leaving Thailand after her intended stay, etc. . . . As the article is only a one sided story, I will take it with a bucket of salt.

Holy cow is what normal people say after reading it.

It seems to me that she was just saying what others have said, the Nepalese woman should have had the right visa for her trip and the US green card is of no interest to Thai immigration. All that is of interest to them is, her Nepalese passport, her reasons for travelling to Thailand etc. and the fact that she doesn't have the correct visa. No need to call someone stupid, or a cow, for saying that.

Normal people, a poor description usually meant to imply sanity and reason but often proving the opposite, would hopefully be able to understand that.

She lacked Visa and rightfully got declined at the border.

However, the line about:

threatened her with indefinite detention and a fine of $10,000.

...is worrying. Why on earth would she be threatened with jail time? It is not illegal to show up at the border and be rejected. Nor is there any fine attached to it. (The fines for the airlines is a different matter.)

• Like 2