Getting A Thai Dog To Uk (How?)

Dear TV readers....

My next door neighbour has a dog, which i love to bits!! The neighbour does not take care of the dog very well and has agreed to sell the dog to me.

I'm going back to the UK soon and want to know how i can take the dog with me....and the costs involved.

Can anyone advise me?

Thank in advance.

There have been a number of threads on this in the past. Simply use the Thai Visa forum search option. My understanding is that KLM has the best animal transport facilities including a kennel in Amsterdam. The KLM website also has more information. Many of the Asian based airlines will not take animals. E.g. Singapore, EVA.IMO tThe only airlines that try to respect the industry standards are the EU and USA flag carriers.(Qantas baggage to the UK is (or was) handled by BA so no insult to Australia intended.)

This information from Soi Dog in Phuket might be of some help :

Soi Dog (Phuket) Foundation do not charge any fees for people wanting to take former stray dogs overseas.

Nor do we charge for taking either the dog or samples tolaboratories,other vets, the livestock dept for export license, airport etc..To our knowledge we are the only rescue organization in the world who operatethis policy.

We do of course welcome a donation towards these costs.

The person adopting must though cover all unrecoverablecosts that SDF pay to 3rd. parties and if staying at SDF sufficientfunds to cover cost of food etc..

The process for Europe excepting the UK and Sweden is asfollows.

• The dog must have 2 rabies vaccinations 2 weeks apart. NO CHARGE.
  • We recommend that the dog is also vaccinated against parvo virus and distemper both common in Thailand though now rare in Europe. If a puppy strongly recommended that the puppy has a full course. 1 vaccination of each 500thb. Full couse 1,000thb.

Cats we recommend full course ofall cat vaccines FIV, leukaemia, cat flu etc.. 2,000tthb approx.

The above is at the decision of theperson adopting but we cannot accept responsibility if your animal catches oneof these diseases. The costs are far less than in Europe.

• If staying at SDF we recommend fitting the dog with a Preventic tick collar. 220thb
  • 30 days after the first vaccination (second not recorded to save time but ensures pass) a blood sample is taken and sent to an approved lab in Europe. SDF uses the Pasteur institute in Brussels.
  • Cost 50 euros for test, 990 thb for shipping sample by special delvery, 700thb for laboratory fees in Thailand to extract serum. 300thb for cost of inserting microchip in animal.

ALL THE ABOVE ARE REQUIREMENTS FOR IMPORTING A DOG OR CAT INTO THE EUWITHOUT QUARANTINE.

THE ABOVE MUST BE PAID BEFORE WE SEND BLOOD SAMPLE TOEUROPE.

• 3 months from the date the sample is taken assuming it passes the dog or cat can travel to Europe without any quarantine.
  • Animals can fly as accompanied baggage or cargo. With the exception of Air Berlin/LTU and Edelweiss Air there is little difference in the cost. Air Berlin who fly direct from Phuket to Munich and onward to most European destinations only charge 120 euros (previously 60) IF the dog is accompanied.

With other airlines animals are nottaken into account as part of baggage allowance.

• Cargo charges vary and are entirely dependent on the size of the cage. An average sized Thai dog is likely to cost in the region of 30,000thb to Northern Europe. More than an economy return ticket in some cases!
  • In addition we have to buy an IATA approved cage and auto water feeder. We have recently found a supplier of these in Thailand who supplies them to us at wholesale prices but they are imported and the cost for an average sized Thai dog is around 4-5,000thb.
  • Cats are obviously far cheaper with cages costing less than 1,000thb and flights around 12,000thb.

WE GENERALLY GET THE COST OF THE FLIGHT 2 WEEKS BEFOREDEPARTING AND THIS MUST AGAIN BE PAID IN ADVANCE.

Sadly in the past we had a case of a dog sent to Canadawhere the owner never paid the flight which was the equivalent of sterilizing100 dogs, which is why we insist on these costs in advance.

Edited by tirekicker

Do the UK not still have the 6 month quarantine law in effect ? Used to be no matter what tearment the animal had outside of the UK , the law stood .

Yes !!! your right, it 's harder to get animals in the UK just as it is people in UK.