New York Times Article On Farang Husbands In Issan

FarangBuddha

Yup,

And Jayson, who wrote the stickman article should get a pat on the back. I think he is about 90% spot on!! He won't be popular with many who are married here, but it won't be the first time the truth hurt, will it.

The beauty of living in you own reality is of course: "The truth is what I say it is!!!"

Only problem is when you engage with other realities. Plenty of married farang can hang out together with their "shared vision of the world" and its easy for them to beleive that it's " right ". And for "them", in a way, it IS right.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a reasonable article with a fairly accurate portrayal of what goes on. There didn't seem to be any bigoted opinions or portrayals.

Did we read the same article??

For many years, the New York Times has been a discredited left wing rag, hemmorrhaging money and barely staying afloat. Trying googling "Jayson Blair." The National Enquirer does more accurate reporting for chrissakes.

I found the article to be highly generalized, demeaning and patronistic, just what one would expect from the snooty, inbred, liberal elite of the Northeast US.

I think 'patronistic' is too strong a word.

It seemed a fair enough piece with no hint of godless communist ideology as far as I could tell.

As to "snooty, inbred and elite"—I'll thank you not to drag the British Royal Family to the level of lefty northeastern Americans.

<snip>

If other farang want to live in a bubble and pretend that everything in the gardern smells of roses, thats their business. We all live our own reality and if its not hurting anyone, where is the harm in a few old boys grinding out their twilight years on some willing thai maiden? No harm at all.

*giggle*snigger*giggle*guffaw* cough-cough, SPLAT! = wet keyboard.

Dammit...cleanup time.

Plenty of married farang can hang out together with their "shared vision of the world" and its easy for them to beleive that it's " right ". And for "them", in a way, it IS right.

I suppose they could come on ThaiVisa and comment about the lives of people they don't know, and situations they know nothing about.

Yep, that makes more sense. huh.gif

Though it is true that Thai women would prefer a Thai man that could give her what Farang can in terms of financial security, Farang men would prefer a beautiful western woman also. Its all about supply and demand, most Farang are older, divorce and not wealthy or they wouldn't be here. It is near imposable to find an educated young Farang women so why should we settle for a woman our own age with baggage. For those who try to belittle older men with younger wives go choke on your sour grapes (Freudian). Love at first sight certainly doesn't happen often but love does grow in some relationship as it does in most cultures. All over the world couple get together because of lust, if the lust lasts long enough to get to know the person on the inside love can develop. I have met Thai Farang couples who clearly love each other and some that don't. But that can be said about many couples I know back home.

I salute those pensioners, fat guys, jews, gays, ugly skinny guys, Brits, Americans, smelly French (really no need to label people)etc etc. They have chosen to take a chance and not settle for someone they are not attracted to. For those younger beautiful people who think these people don't deserve the hot Thai girls/guys swallow your pride and try not to be too envious. There are plenty of Asian beauties to go around take you pick and salute your fellow man.

Most readers of the NY Times article have never been to Thailand... the article did not imply those profiled are statistically representative of those from Western countries who have married and settled here ... and Mr. Mydans included the comments of both the hospital representative and the Thai woman who said that she could not live with someone she did not love...

As an aside I recently sat with a Norwegian Thai Tourist Police volunteer in a hospital waiting room... I asked him what were his most common duties. He said: Dealing with Farang male / Thai female marriage domestic violence.