How Useable Is 3G Broadband In Pattaya These Days?

Trevor25222

i know nothing about modems / dongles etc. I just use internet tethering on my iphone. works fine. used in CM and Pattaya when i was there.

was using it in north pattaya, way over that hill, way down the other side near that big new hotel complex near the beach. If True has 3G there, assume most of pattaya would have it

One thing that I can tell you about Dongles and Modems is that they are certainly a lot cheaper than an iPhone. :) My 3G modem cost less than 500 baht.

Which hill is it that you describe? Can't picture it.

Tried that, but cant read my mails unless i plug the dongle into something.

directions....... dolphin roundabout - up the hill, down the hill to the bottom - turn left........ big hotel complex on beach........works there

You can take a look at some of the TRUEMOVE Prepaid SIM only packages available, here and here.

Very helpful, thanks. I already have a True Move SIM for telephony. Incredible overseas value at Baht 1 per minute (using prefix 006004), or Baht 1.5 to Thai mobiles. Are they the same as 'DATA SIMs'? In the West, and even Indonesia, they make no distinction. First time I saw a 'Data Sim' was in Thailand. Looks like I need to buy an 850 MHz modem though, 'coz this E220 is only gonna deliver EDGE.

Looking at the costs on the True website you gave, time-based looks the better option at Baht 149 for 7 hours daily, of presumably-unlimited data. Over 7 hours' daily use qualifies for nerd / get-a-life status, methinks!

As you may have surmised, that is not what you are going to get. It is 99 baht per month for 5 hours per month, not per day. Perhaps you can cancel the package once you have used up your allowance in order to begin a new one immediately. Could work out to be quite expensive.

I don't know who decided that the price of the packages were appropriate. As 349 baht for 15 hours is more expensive per hour than their package of 99 baht for five hours. I don't consider their GPRS/EDGE offering of any use at all other than for mobile telephone usage.

I think a couple of SIMs for a mix of volume based and time based usage. Sometimes 'always on'(volume based) will be suitable, whereas you may need to download a large file and time based may be more suitable.

i know nothing about modems / dongles etc. I just use internet tethering on my iphone. works fine. used in CM and Pattaya when i was there.

was using it in north pattaya, way over that hill, way down the other side near that big new hotel complex near the beach. If True has 3G there, assume most of pattaya would have it

One thing that I can tell you about Dongles and Modems is that they are certainly a lot cheaper than an iPhone. :) My 3G modem cost less than 500 baht.

Which hill is it that you describe? Can't picture it.

Tried that, but cant read my mails unless i plug the dongle into something.

directions....... dolphin roundabout - up the hill, down the hill to the bottom - turn left........ big hotel complex on beach........works there

From reports it sounds as if the beach areas are covered, theough I don't know how far back the signal may reach.

You can take a look at some of the TRUEMOVE Prepaid SIM only packages available, here and here.

Very helpful, thanks. I already have a True Move SIM for telephony. Incredible overseas value at Baht 1 per minute (using prefix 006004), or Baht 1.5 to Thai mobiles. Are they the same as 'DATA SIMs'? In the West, and even Indonesia, they make no distinction. First time I saw a 'Data Sim' was in Thailand. Looks like I need to buy an 850 MHz modem though, 'coz this E220 is only gonna deliver EDGE.

In general, the SIM is the same. The DATA SIM usually comes with a particular package, whereas with a normal SIM you have to choose your Data package.

Looking at the costs on the True website you gave, time-based looks the better option at Baht 149 for 7 hours daily, of presumably-unlimited data. As you may have surmised, that is not what you are going to get. It is 99 baht per month for 5 hours per month, not per day. Perhaps you can cancel the package once you have used up your allowance in order to begin a new one immediately. Could work out to be quite expensive.

I don't know who decided that the price of the packages were appropriate. As 349 baht for 15 hours is more expensive per hour than their package of 99 baht for five hours. I don't consider their GPRS/EDGE offering of any use at all other than for mobile telephone usage.

The Truecorp website has a coverage map for Pattaya which shows 3G to be widely available well north and south of the metropolis, as well as inland several miles.

The True Move website you so kindly supplied states, "Baht 99 (Service Fee per day) for 5 hours of 3G" on the hour package (automatic extension). This seems reasonable if it is 5 hours per day. Although the site is not terribly clear, it seems a stretch that it actually means B99 per month for 5 hours only, especially as that would be far too little for most users. Looks like I'll have to go into the True shop at Tesco Lotus (North Pattaya road) to confirm what I am actually getting, and the best package.

Looking at the costs on the True website you gave, time-based looks the better option at Baht 149 for 7 hours daily, of presumably-unlimited data. As you may have surmised, that is not what you are going to get. It is 99 baht per month for 5 hours per month, not per day. Perhaps you can cancel the package once you have used up your allowance in order to begin a new one immediately. Could work out to be quite expensive.

The Truecorp website has a coverage map for Pattaya which shows 3G to be widely available well north and south of the metropolis, as well as inland several miles.

The True Move website you so kindly supplied states, "Baht 99 (Service Fee per day) for 5 hours of 3G" on the hour package (automatic extension). This seems reasonable if it is 5 hours per day. Although the site is not terribly clear, it seems a stretch that it actually means B99 per month for 5 hours only, especially as that would be far too little for most users. Looks like I'll have to go into the True shop at Tesco Lotus (North Pattaya road) to confirm what I am actually getting, and the best package.

I'm hurt that you don't believe me. :)

Report back with your findings.

As I wrote earlier, there is nothing to stop you from getting the service as you describe it; you'll just need a lot of SIM cards. :)

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Another possibility maybe be this iPhone plan for 599 baht plus VAT monthly.

With that you get a 3GB allowance. After which the speed gets throttled to 256kbps for the remainder of the month. So unlimited in a form.

You also get:

300mins of calls to all networks(Domestic)

300 SMS

50 MMS

Unlimited Edge

Unlimited Wifi

It may be supplied in the form of a Micro SIM though, I'm not sure.

Got myself an 850 / 2100 MHz Dtac-branded aircard for B2990 at Tukcom in Pattaya today, together with a True Move 'Hi-Speed Net SIM' for B100. Topped up B150 and registered (text V1 to 9789) for 100 MB per month of 3G. Thaivisa speed test shows 2022 kbps down, 340 kbps up from my location next to The Avenue on Sai 2 in central Pattaya. Very impressive speed from HSDPA True. In Indonesia I was getting 500 kbps via their 3G and in the UK 800 kbps.

It's not going to be cheap because I can eat up 20 MB in a couple of hours. I see they offer 50 MB top-ups for B50 (text M1 to 9789) ... would that be one-time only, or as many times as I require?

Coverage maps in the SIM package show 3G throughout Bangkok, Chiangmai, Pattaya and the western half of Phuket. Although the Thais lagged a few years behind Indo and Malaysia in rolling out their 3G service, the super-fast speed, with albeit limited coverage, is some compensation. Geek nirvana will be when 3G reaches the outlying islands ... watch this space.

Edited by Trevor25222

Got myself an 850 / 2100 MHz Dtac-branded aircard for B2990 at Tukcom in Pattaya today, together with a True Move 'Hi-Speed Net SIM' for B100. Topped up B150 and registered (text V1 to 9789) for 100 MB per month of 3G. Thaivisa speed test shows 2022 kbps down, 340 kbps up from my location next to The Avenue on Sai 2 in central Pattaya. Very impressive speed from HSDPA True. In Indonesia I was getting 500 kbps via their 3G and in the UK 800 kbps.

It's not going to be cheap because I can eat up 20 MB in a couple of hours. I see they offer 50 MB top-ups for B50 (text M1 to 9789) ... would that be one-time only, or as many times as I require?

Coverage maps in the SIM package show 3G throughout Bangkok, Chiangmai, Pattaya and the western half of Phuket. Although the Thais lagged a few years behind Indo and Malaysia in rolling out their 3G service, the super-fast speed, with albeit limited coverage, is some compensation. Geek nirvana will be when 3G reaches the outlying islands ... watch this space.

Why did you pay 2,990 baht when the official price is 1,990 baht? Why did you buy a NetSIm rather than use the 'official' SIM that comes with the AirCard?

Why did you completely ignore the advice on this thread??

You should have paid 1,990 baht for the aircard. A top up of 349 baht plus VAT would have given you 750MB of 3G usage.

It looks as if they have bought an TRUEMOVE Aircard for 1,990 baht, took out the promotional SIM that gives you 750 MB per month for 349 baht(plus VAT) and then sold you the Aircard alone for 2,990 baht....and then got you to pay extra for another SIM.

What were you thinking? It was all spelled out for you here.

To be fair, I think that you missed my link in post #19. Here it is again. Perhaps it was obscured by the reference to another poster's aircard.

TRUEMOVE Aircard 1990 baht

Why did you pay 2,990 baht when the official price is 1,990 baht? Why did you buy a NetSIm rather than use the 'official' SIM that comes with the AirCard?

Why did you completely ignore the advice on this thread??

You should have paid 1,990 baht for the aircard. A top up of 349 baht plus VAT would have given you 750MB of 3G usage.

It looks as if they have bought an TRUEMOVE Aircard for 1,990 baht, took out the promotional SIM that gives you 750 MB per month for 349 baht(plus VAT) and then sold you the Aircard alone for 2,990 baht....and then got you to pay extra for another SIM.

What were you thinking? It was all spelled out for you here.

To be fair, I think that you missed my link in post #19. Here it is again. Perhaps it was obscured by the reference to another poster's aircard.

TRUEMOVE Aircard 1990 baht

I think it was the reference to 'aircard' which threw me -- back home we call them 'dongles' or 'wireless modems' -- plus my jetlag, toothache and cough meant my attention span wasn't at its best.

Happened to be at Tukcom for something else and saw the accessories I needed to get 3G quickly. Don't think the retailer was out to cheat as they sold me a Dtac-branded modem (with SIM) at the normal retail price -- in fact they gave me B90 off on asking for a discount, which almost paid for the True Move data SIM at another store, and saved me the trip out to Tesco-Lotus. Anyway I'm very pleased with the speed (2764 kbps at night) and am not going to make a fuss over B1000 for a product which should give me several years' use.

The B349 for 750 MB of data at the True Move shop is post-pay only, which I doubt is available to tourists like myself. Lesson learned: go to the source for this kind of product which, unfortunately, is often located away from the hi-tech malls. Thanks for taking the time to explain the procedure and I hope it's useful for others seeking hook-ups to wireless 3G in Thailand's major centres.

Edited by Trevor25222

Two other points about the True Move 3G USB Aircard promotion at B1990 :

1) It is possible that True Move have locked them to their own network. In the U.K. locking is common on discounted modems, for obvious reasons.

2) Stock of such a well-discounted product is far from certain. FWIW the retailer who sold me the (fortunately-non-locked) Dtac-branded aircard said there was a general shortage on the market and that they sold out fast. Or perhaps I'm still a naive Thai newbie?

Edited by Trevor25222

The B349 for 750 MB of data at the True Move shop is post-pay only, which I doubt is available to tourists like myself. Lesson learned: go to the source for this kind of product which, unfortunately, is often located away from the hi-tech malls. Thanks for taking the time to explain the procedure and I hope it's useful for others seeking hook-ups to wireless 3G in Thailand's major centres.

No, that's not correct. It is for both Post-Pay and Pre-Pay. The difference is that with Post-Pay you get three months free out of six months.

I think you just get a free SIM with Pre-Pay. :)

As to the normal retail price...1,990 baht is the normal retail price for the TRUE dongle/aircard. The problem was that you didn't go to a TRUE shop. You just went to an independent retailer.

...at any True Shops, TrueMove Shops and True Partners More information on TrueMove Care 1331.

There is an official TRUE shop within the Tesco Lotus building in North Pattaya.

As to whether the modem is locked or unlocked... You can either unlock that model for free or at the cost of 200 baht. That is the reason why I actually posted the original brand and model number of the dongle/aircard. So that people could research/review this before purchase.

I also posted info on other unlocked modems available in Thailand for 2000 baht and under, which will also be suitable for 3G usage in Thailand.

There is no current DTAC aircard with a recommended retail price of 2,990 baht. Their most expensive is the Hua Wei E1553 at 2600 baht. Their cheapest one that is still compatible is 2100 baht. Compare.

Dongle shortage?? You can buy them unlocked in the UK for less than 1000 baht and a call to TRUE would tell you if the TRUE model was scarce. I think that he was just trying to sell his product.

Considering that it was you who started this thread, it's surprising that you especially didn't follow the thread's advice. But I understand that a toothache can drive you crazy. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Interested to know how far back into Pattaya coverage will go.

Will try it myself later. Will look to get a more generous allowance.

Well, I learned my lesson not to get suckered-in by the more-convenient small local resellers! Better to make the effort -- at least in Thailand -- to go to the source ... well, every country is different I suppose.

If I go to the True Move shop at this late stage can I still get the 750 MB of data for B349 prepaid? Do you have a telephone number for English enquiries to True Move? Their website is very poor compared to cellular rivals; can't even find a list of their retail outlets.

Otherwise I would just risk topping-up the SIM in my handphone and texting the appropriate code to 9789.

As for 3G coverage, I suspect it is wider than many realise; True Move's site map for Pattaya seems accurate. The lightning speed continues to amaze: just got 3154 kbps on the Thaivisa speed test at 12.15 pm today! Looks like wireless is the future for all Internet and telephony without being tied to copper wires, or even fibre-optics.

Edited by Trevor25222

Well, I learned my lesson not to get suckered-in by the more-convenient small local resellers! Better to make the effort -- at least in Thailand -- to go to the source ... well, every country is different I suppose.

If I go to the True Move shop at this late stage can I still get the 750 MB of data for B349 prepaid? Do you have a telephone number for English enquiries to True Move? Their website is very poor compared to cellular rivals; can't even find a list of their retail outlets.

Otherwise I would just risk topping-up the SIM in my handphone and texting the appropriate code to 9789.

As for 3G coverage, I suspect it is wider than many realise; True Move's site map for Pattaya seems accurate. The lightning speed continues to amaze: just got 3154 kbps on the Thaivisa speed test at 12.15 pm today! Looks like wireless is the future for all Internet and telephony without being tied to copper wires, or even fibre-optics.

I suspect that there a still only a few subscribers, so the service is still good. :)

I ask about coverage, because a friend of mine lives on Third Road and may wish to use it.

Can't see them selling the modem SIM separately, though it won't hurt to ask.

Someone has reported success with the TRUEMOVE iPhone SIM at 599 baht plus VAT per month. So you can ask about it.

Call them on 1331.before 11pm.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

There is currently no stock of B1990 Aircards at the True Move shop in North Pattaya until "next week". The shop is open until 20.00h. This tallies with what the Tukcom vendor told me about shortages of 'desirable models' of aircards. I don't feel so bad about paying that extra B1000 now. The shop also told me the unlimited B349 promotion is for Thais or foreign work-permit holders only. Don't know where retirees fit in with this contract stuff ... since they can clear off back home untraceably I would presume they don't get contract privileges.

I believe the V1, V2, V3 codes (and their cancellations CV1, CV2, CV3) are for monthly contract users only ('rai deuan' in Thai). Therefore visitors can only load 20 MB for B30 (SMS: DM to 9789) or the better-value 50 MB for B50 (SMS: M1 to 9789) ... so 3G is basically a Baht a Megabyte. I tried loading V3 (B699 for 1 GB) but the card didn't permit data downloads as it is not registered as 'rai deuan' or monthly contract.

I then reverted to the original DM and M1 SMS codes to extend my data usage which had been used up ... the counter showed 75 MB of downloads from my first session before seizing-up. Replacing the SIM in the aircard I now only get 'Connection Terminated' on dialling-up, even though there is plenty of load on the card -- it's just not being activated for 3G. So now I'm thinking what you said about having lots of SIM cards if access within a 30-day period is being limited to very low data levels per card. It is really hard trying to make sense of this with what limited information there is in either Thai or poor English. I never had such problems with follow-up top-ups in Indonesia or the UK.

Edited by Trevor25222

There is currently no stock of B1990 Aircards at the True Move shop in North Pattaya until "next week". The shop is open until 20.00h. This tallies with what the Tukcom vendor told me about shortages of 'desirable models' of aircards. I don't feel so bad about paying that extra B1000 now. The shop also told me the unlimited B349 promotion is for Thais or foreign work-permit holders only. Don't know where retirees fit in with this contract stuff ... since they can clear off back home untraceably I would presume they don't get contract privileges.

I believe the V1, V2, V3 codes (and their cancellations CV1, CV2, CV3) are for monthly contract users only ('rai deuan' in Thai). Therefore visitors can only load 20 MB for B30 (SMS: DM to 9789) or the better-value 50 MB for B50 (SMS: M1 to 9789) ... so 3G is basically a Baht a Megabyte. I tried loading V3 (B699 for 1 GB) but the card didn't permit data downloads as it is not registered as 'rai deuan' or monthly contract.

I then reverted to the original DM and M1 SMS codes to extend my data usage which had been used up ... the counter showed 75 MB of downloads from my first session before seizing-up. Replacing the SIM in the aircard I now only get 'Connection Terminated' on dialling-up, even though there is plenty of load on the card -- it's just not being activated for 3G. So now I'm thinking what you said about having lots of SIM cards if access within a 30-day period is being limited to very low data levels per card. It is really hard trying to make sense of this with what limited information there is in either Thai or poor English. I never had such problems with follow-up top-ups in Indonesia or the UK.

Trevor, there is no unlimited promotion for 349 baht(it is 750 MB of Data) and you/they are wrong about the eligibility. The Aircard can be used on a PrePaid tariff.

3. Those who buy TrueMove Aircard 7.2 Mbps and wish to sign up for TrueMove Pre Pay service are entitled for the following privilege:

3.1 Get free Pre Pay SIM;

3.2 Allowance for EDGE/GPRS access of 250 megabytes for the first month (billing cycle) from the date of first activation on TrueMove Pre Pay service. Unused allowance cannot be rolled over to the following month (billing cycle);

3.3 If wishing to use EDGE/GPRS service more than the amount specified in Clause 3.2, make calls, SMS, MMS or Wi-Fi, fee will be charged as follows:

3.3.1 Domestic EDGE/GPRS service is charged at 1 Satang per kilobyte based on per kilobyte billing

with a fraction of each kilobyte counted as one kilobyte;

3.3.2 Calls made to any networks are charged additionally at 1.25 Baht per minute throughout 24 hours based on per minute billing with a fraction of each minute counted as one minute;

3.3.3 Sending domestic SMS and MMS is charged at 1.25 Baht per message;

3.3.4 1 Mbps Wi-Fi service is charged at 50 Satang per minute based on per minute billing with a fraction of each minute counted as one minute;

3.4 The users are able to select any promotions other than those specified in this promotion.

5. Privileges: Post Pay and Pre Pay customers of this promotion are eligible for 3G* service of 750 megabytes per month (billing cycle) free of charge for a period of 6 months (billing cycle) from the date of registration for Post Pay service and 1 month (billing cycle) from the date of start using any TrueMove Pre Pay service or until further notice. Upon reach of 3G service allowance, the 3G service will be automatically disconnected and the users are able to use the free-of-charge 3G service again on the following month (billing cycle) but the unused allowance cannot be rolled over or exchanged, changed or refunded for case or any other items or transferred to any individual or corporate person.

As to the topping up, yes you need to stop faffing about. :) Get a new SIM for 49 baht and start again, but this time buy a proper package. Time based if you download a lot or volume based if you need 'always on' Internet.

Whichever package you choose, you are stuck with it for the month. So choose wisely. :) Otherwise just stick with the Daily packages of 30 baht for 1 hour or 20MB.

You are also wrong about this. it doesn't work because you already have a 30 day package on your SIM.

Get another SIM and it will work. Bear in mind that you can download a GB of data in 80 minutes. So think about whether Time or Volume based is best for your usage.

As to there being a shortage... I don't think so. Perhaps in Pattaya.

Can be purchased here for as little as 1450 baht in the form of a Hua Wei E160 or the Huawei E1553.

Store Locator.

Building, 2nd Floor, Pantip Plaza Pratunam (not layer M) attached food court. Amulet corner (every day at 12:00 to 19:00 hrs.)

Tel: 085 4898 335 (Please call this number first).

I don't know how True Move managed to design such a perverse and convoluted system for PAYG 3G. Not only does this locking of the chosen initial package for 30 days frustrate users who rapidly run out of time or data allowance (or who simply wanted to test the system) – but True are actually losing money as willing-to-pay subscribers turn elsewhere for their Internet. Indonesia has had 3G for several years and users can top-up time or data packages at will without this silly 30-day restriction. Even my contacts back home think having to buy a new SIM just to extend airtime is crazy and have never heard of such nonsense!!! I could pay a lot less for the Wi-Fi at my current accommodation in Pattaya but wanted to be independent and enjoy faster speeds.

My experience with True Move's 3G is that once one of the larger time or data packages has been subscribed-to, the card is totally-locked for 30-days. Even the basic 20 MB or 1-hour (before midnight, mind you!) packages don't work. The SIM establishes a connection but no data flow! I now have a data SIM loaded with several hundred Baht that I can't use for a month unless I make expensive Baht 5.35 per minute calls to Europe.

True Move data SIM cards are different from their telephony SIMs. Telephony SIMs will not work for Internet, even on the Baht 30, 1-hour package -- I tried – it will not even dial-up. Data SIMs will, however, permit phone calls at a higher per-minute cost. This information will be useful for those coming from the West used to common-usage SIMs.

By contrast, as my current backup, I have been using Dtac's slower, but very reasonable, Edge service at B1 (excl. VAT) per minute with a B300 load for a lot longer than 5 hours. Incompetence can work in your favour as well as against. Thai karma in action!

I'm not even going to ask whether balances can be transferred between SIMs but would like to know where to buy True Move data SIMs, apart from Tukcom or the True shop in N.Pattaya.

Edited by Trevor25222

By contrast, as my current backup, I have been using Dtac's slower, but very reasonable, Edge service at B1 (excl. VAT) per minute with a B300 load for a lot longer than 5 hours. Incompetence can work in your favour as well as against. Thai karma in action!

I'm not even going to ask whether balances can be transferred between SIMs but would like to know where to buy True Move data SIMs, apart from Tukcom or the True shop in N.Pattaya.

Perhaps you are using the Happy Internet SIM which gives you 300 minutes for 69 baht and then 4 minutes per bahe subsequently.

About the TRUE situation...I did explain it to you before you purchased it.

I'm not sure of the situation with the 'telephony' SIM cards as I am not there to test it. But it seems strange that the would sell SIM cards that are not compatible with 3G mobile telephones.

Either way the HiSpeed Data SIMs are available for 99 and 129 baht for 100MB and 3-6 hours respectively. Not sure why you topped it up with 150 baht when you already get 100MB with the package.

Perhaps you are using the Happy Internet SIM which gives you 300 minutes for 69 baht and then 4 minutes per baht subsequently.

I'm not sure of the situation with the 'telephony' SIM cards as I am not there to test it. But it seems strange that the would sell SIM cards that are not compatible with 3G mobile telephones.

Either way the HiSpeed Data SIMs are available for 99 and 129 baht for 100MB and 3-6 hours respectively. Not sure why you topped it up with 150 baht when you already get 100MB with the package.

The Happy Internet SIM is certainly better value, albeit running slower, than TrueMove's 3G -- plus they actually have someone who can write intelligible English. Needless to say, all the package insert mentioned was Internet for B1 per minute, hence my surprise at not being cut off yet.

There were, and currently still are, no TrueMove Aircard packages available in Pattaya. I purchased an 850/2100 MHz Dtac Aircard from an independent which is probably electronically-identical.

Where would I be best looking for a TrueMove Prepaid HiSpeed Data SIMs in the Pattaya area? You seem good at info-trawling ... could you find me the number of the TrueMove shop(s) in Pattaya?

BTW thanks for your persistence in supporting me over this difficult issue. Hope it helps other visitors seeking wireless 3G too.

Edited by Trevor25222

Perhaps you are using the Happy Internet SIM which gives you 300 minutes for 69 baht and then 4 minutes per baht subsequently.

The Happy Internet SIM is certainly better value, albeit running slower, than TrueMove's 3G -- plus they actually have someone who can write intelligible English. Needless to say, all the package insert mentioned was Internet for B1 per minute, hence my surprise at not being cut off yet.

There were, and currently still are, no TrueMove Aircard packages available in Pattaya. I purchased an 850/2100 MHz Dtac Aircard from an independent which is probably electronically-identical.

Where would I be best looking for a TrueMove Prepaid HiSpeed Data SIMs in the Pattaya area? You seem good at info-trawling ... could you find me the number of the TrueMove shop(s) in Pattaya?

BTW thanks for your persistence in supporting me over this difficult issue. Hope it helps other visitors seeking wireless 3G too.

No problem. I appreciate your persistence too. We'll know all there is to know by the end of this. :)

Have you visited the shop in Tesco Lotus or not? They should be your first stop for the HI Speed data SIMs.

As to the aircard, I already stated the brand and model number of the TRUEMOVE Aircard in post #29, as well as naming models of a similar specification at a lower price.

The 'Independents' in Pattaya charge more because "they have to transport the items from Bangkok". :)

Are you going to spend another 2000 baht on an Aircard package?? Forget about it. Just buy another SIM. Call 1331 or 02 900 8000 to check if you can use a normal SIM and just activate it for 3G. It should just work by applying a package, but check before proceeding. Otherwise proceed to Tesco Lotus North Pattaya.

The other thing is that you need to be sure that the settings of the Mobile Connect software are set correctly.

The correct settings are built into the TRUEMOVE aircard's software, but since you are using a DTAC aircard, you need to make sure that you are using the correct settings. They are probably fine, it just adds another layer for when it comes to troubleshooting.

For instance, you also have an inclusive allowance for GPRS/EDGE(only half the speed of DTAC offering) on your TrueMove HI-SPEED NET SIM, so you should still be able to use that even if your 3G allowance has expired. You may need to change the settings in the mobile connect software to connect to both 3G and 2G. I don't know which model of Aircard you are currently using, so can't give clearer instruction.

DTAC/Happy is the best for EDGE and I'm sure they were more than a little P'eed off that TRUEMOVE were allowed to use the frequency that DTAC had allocated to them for their former 1G service.

There is another TRUE shop here:

12 TRUE Move - Pacific Sriracha, Chonburi 90 Pacific Park Sriracha 2nd Floor Shop 231A Sukhumvit Rd. KM 118 Sriracha, Sriracha, Chonburi 20110

Chonburi 038- 771-238 038- 771-239

and possibly at the Chalermthai Shopping Mall on Sukhumwit.

Indonesia has had 3G for several years and users can top-up time or data packages at will without this silly 30-day restriction. [/size]

Most countries in the world don't have such nonsense. However you are in Thailand where there is no official 3G. Deal with the nonsense.

It will be a long long time before the controlling authority (they don't even have one yet!) for 3G amongst others called the NBTC is established, the powers that be have ensured their pockets are suitably lined and one day the consumer might get what they want. In mean time consumers are stuck with TRIAL versions of 3G from True, DTAC or AIS that might be overruled in future whilst TOT & CAT get a free hand.

Edited by Digitalbanana

If you need a visual reference for when you call TRUE about Hi-Speed data SIMs, click here.

But you don't need to do it.

As proof that the 'Telephony SIMs' do work with 3G, click here and then on the link for the Took Jai SIM (49 baht). From there you will see the Value Added packages.

You don't need to buy a Net or Data SIM. The Net SIM just give you an allowance when you first purchase. If you want to customise your package, buy the 49 baht Took Jai SIM.

You have a couple of options open to you. If you have an iPhone ;) , you can get the iPhone 599 SIM. Otherwise get the Took Jai SIM and buy the package that you need.

Of course you can test the service, by purchasing the Took Jai SIM and adding a Daily pack or by buying a Hi-Speed DATA SIM for 99 or 129 baht. You just have to understand the limitations of each option.

Your Hi-Speed Data SIM probably already arrived with a package installed, which probably further confused you.

If you need a visual reference for when you call TRUE about Hi-Speed data SIMs, click here.

As proof that the 'Telephony SIMs' do work with 3G, click here and then on the link for the Took Jai SIM (49 baht). From there you will see the Value Added packages.

You don't need to buy a Net or Data SIM. The Net SIM just give you an allowance when you first purchase. If you want to customise your package, buy the 49 baht Took Jai SIM.

You have a couple of options open to you. If you have an iPhone ;) , you can get the iPhone 599 SIM. Otherwise get the Took Jai SIM and buy the package that you need.

Of course you can test the service, by purchasing the Took Jai SIM and adding a Daily pack or by buying a Hi-Speed DATA SIM for 99 or 129 baht. You just have to understand the limitations of each option.

Your Hi-Speed Data SIM probably already arrived with a package installed, which probably further confused you.

Strangely my existing True Move Inter SIM used for telephony, and bought on Air Asia (Dec 2009), would not charge up with minimal 3G volume-based, but a B49 Inter SIM from the True Move shop here today did. Perhaps only the latest Inter SIMs work for 3G. Miss Noo in the shop also advised that all the printed prices, e.g. B699 for 1 GB of data, excludes VAT at 7%. It's not even in the small print, she said. So you have to charge up B747.93 to buy 1 GB. Anyway, I loaded 50 MB for B50 to test it and have 3G speeds again. Expensive compared to EDGE but I need it for quick trades.

The True Move Hi-Speed Net SIM has a little data/Baht preloaded because my checked balance was more than expected after topping-up. Maybe B50's worth on it but, surprise, surprise ... the True Move shop is right out of these too!

What a shame that corruption and prevarication has delayed the rollout of 3G in Thailand to well behind its neighbors. Only compensation is that hardly anyone is using 3G so it's wickedly fast at 2.2 Mbps.

I will repeat to any newbies: don't choose one of the bigger 3G packages until you have tested it with a cheapie first. Then go for 1 GB volume-based so you don't have to count the minutes. You will need an 850 MHz modem (aircard). Early models like the popular Huawei E220 are 900 MHz up.

Edited by Trevor25222

Strangely my existing True Move Inter SIM used for telephony, and bought on Air Asia (Dec 2009), would not charge up with minimal 3G volume-based, but a B49 Inter SIM from the True Move shop here today did. Perhaps only the latest Inter SIMs work for 3G. Miss Noo in the shop also advised that all the printed prices, e.g. B699 for 1 GB of data, excludes VAT at 7%. It's not even in the small print, she said. So you have to charge up B747.93 to buy 1 GB. Anyway, I loaded 50 MB for B50 to test it and have 3G speeds again. Expensive compared to EDGE but I need it for quick trades.

The True Move Hi-Speed Net SIM has a little data/Baht preloaded because my checked balance was more than expected after topping-up. Maybe B50's worth on it but, surprise, surprise ... the True Move shop is right out of these too!

What a shame that corruption and prevarication has delayed the rollout of 3G in Thailand to well behind its neighbors. Only compensation is that hardly anyone is using 3G so it's wickedly fast at 2.2 Mbps.

I will repeat to any newbies: don't choose one of the bigger 3G packages until you have tested it with a cheapie first. Then go for 1 GB volume-based so you don't have to count the minutes. You will need an 850 MHz modem (aircard). Early models like the popular Huawei E220 are 900 MHz up.

You do need to be careful with your advice. Telling newbies to pay 750 baht for 1GB when it might not fit their pattern of usage, might not be the best advice.

If they need to upload or download larger amounts of data, a 1GB package may be useless to them. I already pointed out that you could use that in a mere eighty minutes.

Secondly the description "850MHz modem" doesn't tell the full story. For example: This modem, the ZTE MF627: ZTE_MF627210x225.jpg has specification thus; HSDPA/UMTS 2100 MHz EDGE/GPRS/GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz. This modem is not compatible with the service.

The specification needs to be HSDPA/UMTS 850/2100 MHz. I have already posted links and information to around four suitable models, older and up to date, starting from 1450 baht. You can get an unlocked Hua Wei E160 in the UK for £20.

Almost unbelievably, you have made exactly the same mistake again. You have loaded the new card with a piddling 50 MB/30 day package. It's entirely possible that you have blocked that card too for the period of thirty days. To continue you may be forced to pay; The excess thereof will be charged additionally at 0.12 Baht per kilobyte

I wrote, at least twice, that you should test with a Daily Package. It's actually written in the post previous to your previous post.

Perhaps you should hold off from advising newbies until you are fully conversed with the system.

This is in the Terms & Conditions:

4. All aforesaid fees are exclusive of value added tax.

Perhaps a new card and to begin again.

• 2 months later...

will my uk network 3 3G phone work in pattaya with my uk sim or do i have to purchase a 3G thai sim card... i have already unlocked the phone which is a ZTE F107... do i have to alter any settings in the phone?.. the handset has skype and msn IM so would be handy if it worked i pattaya for cheap communication back home...