How Useable Is 3G Broadband In Pattaya These Days?

Trevor25222

As recent news explains 3G is not officially in Thailand yet.

Todays reports indicate that TOT will be launching a monopoly within the year, while some operators are currently running trials.

As far as I know True are the only company offering 3G in pattaya but I haven't met anyone thats used it.

3G is not available in Pattaya and not likely to be available for some time to come, maybe years?

Yet i see people buying 3G USB internet sticks in Tuckom pattaya, and for what?

3G is only available in Bangkok and Chiang Mai so why buy one?

USB internet connections.

In Pattaya the Barny Rubble and Fred Flintstones service ‘EDGE’ is available which delivers lightening fast speeds between 115kbps ‘mobile phone’ to the super fast 460.8kbps via a ‘USB modem’.

3G is turning into a money grabbing world wide joke.

3G is not available in Pattaya and not likely to be available for some time to come, maybe years?

Yet i see people buying 3G USB internet sticks in Tuckom pattaya, and for what?

3G is only available in Bangkok and Chiang Mai so why buy one?

USB internet connections.

In Pattaya the Barny Rubble and Fred Flintstones service ‘EDGE’ is available which delivers lightening fast speeds between 115kbps ‘mobile phone’ to the super fast 460.8kbps via a ‘USB modem’.

3G is turning into a money grabbing world wide joke.

I think you might find that it is available in Pattaya. http://www.truemove.com/en/service-3g.html

3G in Pattaya is available and works faster than my 4mb TOT ADSL line most of the time.

It is only on 850 Mgz so you can not use some 3G Devices/ Modems.

They usually come in combinations, either 2100 / 850 or 2100 / 900.

Dtac and True uses 850 and AIS uses 900 for their trial service. No 2100 Mgz 3G in Thailand.

Only True has service in Pattaya and it does not have full coverage, but if it works in your area it is pretty good.

3G in Pattaya is available and works faster than my 4mb TOT ADSL line most of the time.

It is only on 850 MHz so you can not use some 3G Devices/ Modems.

Dtac and True uses 850 and AIS uses 900 for their trial service. No 2100 Mgz 3G in Thailand.

Only True has service in Pattaya and it does not have full coverage, but if it works in your area it is pretty good.

OP thanks posters for replies, especially NoBrainer.

I have a Huawei E220 'soap on a rope' modem, which is a very common model.

From a forum (Whirlpool Australia): "E220 is a dual band 850/2100 UTMS capable modem w/o antenna and 7.2Mbs ready (even though the 3 network is running 1.5Mb/s currently). Tends however to be LESS stable than the E160/E169 modems."

"Unlike the E220 which does NOT support 900 Mhz (ie. GSM aka GPRS) but instead supports 850 Mhz (which is only used by Telstra), the e169 does support 900 Mhz"

So it seems my E220 should work with True. Where can I buy a suitable True SIM card in Bangkok or Pattaya? Thanks again.

Edited by Trevor25222

It is only on 850 Mgz so you can not use some 3G Devices/ Modems.

Wrong. :) TOT 3G uses that frequency.

• 2 weeks later...

Jiu-Jitsu

As far as I can see TOT's 3G trial service is on 1900 Mgz.

I can not find any evidence of anyone using the unlicensed 2100 Mgz band, and I suppose it would also be illegal to do so, or everyone would just start to use it and they wouldn't need an Auction/ License.

"Mr Juti replied that TOT had implemented the first phase 3G network in Bangkok last year and received a 3G operating licence in 2002 under the 1900 Mhz frequency, according to the reports."

Can you find anything definitive that say's TOT is using 3G on 2100 Mgz?

Jiu-Jitsu

As far as I can see TOT's 3G trial service is on 1900 Mgz.

I can not find any evidence of anyone using the unlicensed 2100 Mgz band, and I suppose it would also be illegal to do so, or everyone would just start to use it and they wouldn't need an Auction/ License.

"Mr Juti replied that TOT had implemented the first phase 3G network in Bangkok last year and received a 3G operating licence in 2002 under the 1900 Mhz frequency, according to the reports."

Can you find anything definitive that say's TOT is using 3G on 2100 Mgz?

ToT did not launch its 3G on the 1900 MHz band.. Now, while it may be called "1900", the band actually overlaps both with "1800" and "2100". As it turned out, ToT 3G is launched on the 2100 band, where it owns 15 MHz, or three 5 MHz channels....

I'm not allowed to post the link here.

To date I have used my Huawei E220 Modem exclusively on a PC running Windows xp, without issues. I read that this model causes dropout grief to Mac users though. Does anyone have experience of external modem problems with their Mac operating system? 3G Connectivity is important on-the-move and I would not want to compromise it with an incompatible OS.

Todays reports indicate that TOT will be launching a monopoly within the year, while some operators are currently running trials.

As far as I know True are the only company offering 3G in pattaya but I haven't met anyone thats used it.

What frequency will the TOT 3G monopoly run on? 900MHz same as now?

What frequency will the TOT 3G monopoly run on? 900MHz same as now?

Switch your brain back on and then read my post again.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a Happy Internet SIM for Baht 69 in Pattaya (at 7/11). Activated in a mobile phone and loaded Baht 300. Internet charge is Baht 1 per minute. Modem is a Huawei E220, unlocked and rated at 7.2 Mbps.

Unfortunately it only connects via EDGE WP-1800 at soi 11 Beach Road, with a dismal 184 kbps download. Better than nothing ... but posters above claim a definitive 3G service is available. If so, whose SIM card should I buy, where are they available, and is there a prepaid monthly unlimited-data package? I am just a visitor so don't want a contract service. Thanks.

Edited by Trevor25222

I just bought a Happy Internet SIM for Baht 69 in Pattaya (at 7/11). Activated in a mobile phone and loaded Baht 300. Internet charge is Baht 1 per minute. Modem is a Huawei E220, unlocked and rated at 7.2 Mbps.

Unfortunately it only connects via EDGE WP-1800 at soi 11 Beach Road, with a dismal 184 kbps download. Better than nothing ... but posters above claim a definitive 3G service is available. If so, whose SIM card should I buy, where are they available, and is there a prepaid monthly unlimited-data package? I am just a visitor so don't want a contract service. Thanks.

It is not certain that you modem will pick up the TRUEMOVE signal.

Hua Wei 220

3G (UMTS/HSDPA) frequency supported 2100 MHz

EDGE frequency supported 900, 1800 and 1900MHz

GPRS frequency supported 900, 1800 and 1900MHz

GSM frequency supported 900, 1800 and 1900MHz

Whereas you need a modem with this specification:

●Support EDGE/GPRS on 850/900/1800/1900MHz

●Support 3G/UMTS on 850/1900/2100MHz

An example would be the ZTE MF626. You may see them in Pattaya under the T-Mobile brand. MF626.jpg

I had an AIS prepay internet, used it for the last year, some days ok some days not so good, couple of month back I went into the True shop to enquire about the coverage areas for their 3g, not much area covered I thought, so I purchased an ifox USB modem (2700 baht along with free AIS sim with some free airtime and another 2 free sims, it accepts all the other sims) bought a DTAC sim on advice from a friend and tried this, seems much more stable than the AIS,,,, personally I feel as the 3g is only available in limited areas of Pattaya and I think I would stick with what I have until 3g eventually arrives with realistic coverage areas.

I had an AIS prepay internet, used it for the last year, some days ok some days not so good, couple of month back I went into the True shop to enquire about the coverage areas for their 3g, not much area covered I thought, so I purchased an ifox USB modem (2700 baht along with free AIS sim with some free airtime and another 2 free sims, it accepts all the other sims) bought a DTAC sim on advice from a friend and tried this, seems much more stable than the AIS,,,, personally I feel as the 3g is only available in limited areas of Pattaya and I think I would stick with what I have until 3g eventually arrives with realistic coverage areas.

If it is an iFox 3G-820, you can use it with a TRUEMOVE SIM to connect to 3G anyway. It meets the specification.

1. รองรับ HSDPA/UMTS 850/1900/2100MHz Download 7.2 Mbps Upload 5.76 Mbps

p1270047.jpg

I'm not sure how you sign up for the service, but I think that you pay 349 baht plus VAT per month and get a 'free' 750 MB 3G Data allowance.

For those without an Aircard, you can buy the TRUEMOVE model for 1,990 baht.

i know nothing about modems / dongles etc. I just use internet tethering on my iphone. works fine. used in CM and Pattaya when i was there.

was using it in north pattaya, way over that hill, way down the other side near that big new hotel complex near the beach. If True has 3G there, assume most of pattaya would have it

Edited by skippybangkok

i know nothing about modems / dongles etc. I just use internet tethering on my iphone. works fine. used in CM and Pattaya when i was there.

was using it in north pattaya, way over that hill, way down the other side near that big new hotel complex near the beach. If True has 3G there, assume most of pattaya would have it

One thing that I can tell you about Dongles and Modems is that they are certainly a lot cheaper than an iPhone. :) My 3G modem cost less than 500 baht.

Which hill is it that you describe? Can't picture it.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

this is really confusing.

I have a nexus one (US t-mobile version) which is '900 MHz, AWS, 1700 and 2100 MHz'

can i get 3G in Pattaya or not? If so which carrier ?

That will be a no. You need 850MHz for TRUEMOVE.

are you sure TRUEMOVE is the only one in Pattaya?

I have a nexus one (US t-mobile version) which is '900 MHz, AWS, 1700 and 2100 MHz'

Do you have a problem with reading or are you just being lazy? Read the thread.

i guess you think you are the only one that knows anything about 3G. Look at your posts in this thread and it is clear who the fool is. When you don't know do you always say you can't post the link?

i guess you think you are the only one that knows anything about 3G. Look at your posts in this thread and it is clear who the fool is. When you don't know do you always say you can't post the link?

Are you auditioning for Dumb & Dumber 4? Does your post actually make any sense?

What is wrong with "my posts in this thread"? Perhaps you can tell me.

Be careful of irony though. Because it may slap you in the face when it is revealed that the only one who knows nothing is you.

Read the whole thread and gain a free education, instead of being lazy and expecting people to repost information already posted.

Probably best for you not to reply, as you'll only make yourself more stupid and ungrateful.

For those interested, the TRUEMOVE Aircard is a Huawei E176.

If the firmware hasn't been upgraded beforehand, Huawei has released firmware to upgrade the modem to HSUPA 5.76. Firmware is here.

Otherwise you can pick up the aforementioned ZTE MF626 or Huawei E160 in Thailand for around 1500 baht.

For those who have the need for such a thing, there is a Mifi unit, the Huawei E5836 for 4,790 baht.

You can take a look at some of the TRUEMOVE Prepaid SIM only packages available, here and here.

Very helpful, thanks. I already have a True Move SIM for telephony. Incredible overseas value at Baht 1 per minute (using prefix 006004), or Baht 1.5 to Thai mobiles. Are they the same as 'DATA SIMs'? In the West, and even Indonesia, they make no distinction. First time I saw a 'Data Sim' was in Thailand. Looks like I need to buy an 850 MHz modem though, 'coz this E220 is only gonna deliver EDGE.

Looking at the costs on the True website you gave, time-based looks the better option at Baht 149 for 7 hours daily, of presumably-unlimited data. Over 7 hours' daily use qualifies for nerd / get-a-life status, methinks!

Edited by Trevor25222