Long Queue'S For Krispykreme Doughnuts

theoldgit

I was in Siam Paragon this afternoon and thought I would treat myself to a KrispyKreme doughnut, when I saw the long queue, or should I say the disorganised mad rush, I changed my mind.

My question is, or should I say my questions are, are KrispyKreme doughnuts that good that I would want to queue for 30 mins to buy some, or is it just a novelty factor? Are they better than other doughnuts? I couldn't get near enough to see the prices, are they the same price as other doughnuts?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thing happened every time they opened one in California...Then the crowds died out. In the West, they put a light on to let you know when they have just made them. A group of us sat in a drive through for one hour when they first opened in our area. But I wouldn't stand in this weather for one...I would wait. When they are freshly made, they are great. In the West, after they have sat for 30 minutes or more they are worse than others. How will the heat and humidity change this ? I would imagine they would be worse after a shorter time than 30 minutes.

But I wouldn't stand in this weather for one...I would wait. When they are freshly made, they are great. In the West, after they have sat for 30 minutes or more they are worse than others. How will the heat and humidity change this ? I would imagine they would be worse after a shorter time than 30 minutes.

It's in Siam Paragon, there is no heat and humidity

Remember Mr Bun in Silom? It will pass.

Roti Boy, do you mean? Yes, I remember similar scenes when they opened. A combination of herd instinct, marketing and possibly some people paid to queue up.

No donuts would be worth waiting that long for, I'll be giving that end of Paragon a wide birth until the hype dies down.

A donut is lump of fried batter with sugary icing on it. Much like any American food it is unhealthy, bland and vastly over rated, Now foie gras, red wine and camembert, is another thing entirely.

It is not American food it is (Dutch) another one of the things that came from Euro and we get blamed for, but french fries are American.

19th century, doughnuts were sometimes referred to as one kind of olykoek (a Dutch word literally meaning "oil cake"), a "sweetened cake fried in fat."

A donut is lump of fried batter with sugary icing on it. Much like any American food it is unhealthy, bland and vastly over rated, Now foie gras, red wine and camembert, is another thing entirely.

It is not American food it is (Dutch) another one of the things that came from Euro and we get blamed for, but french fries are American.

19th century, doughnuts were sometimes referred to as one kind of olykoek (a Dutch word literally meaning "oil cake"), a "sweetened cake fried in fat."

That's not true. Olykoek isn't a dutch word. We do make "appelflappen" (only around New Year) but there are nothing like donuts.

That's not true. Olykoek isn't a dutch word. We do make "appelflappen" (only around New Year) but there are nothing like donuts.

Would appear the Dutch that came to the colony coined the word from somewhere.

The doughnut, as we know and love, supposedly came to Manhatten (then still New Amsterdam) under the Dutch name of olykoeks--"oily cakes."

Maybe they had a Norwegian cook named Oly with them. :lol: . At any rate - at the time there were no real Americas yet so by default its a Euro dish. :whistling:

Looks like the "haters" (:)) will need to be giving the basement of Siam Paragon a wide berth, for at least a while...

This was the scene tonight at 9:30 pm at KK... line out the door, but not much beyond the doorway itself....

I too would be inclined to think this will be another flash in the deep fat fryer... but who knows.... It was all Thais lined up... not many farang that I noticed tonight.

post-53787-061890800 1285773765_thumb.jp

post-53787-077682800 1285773766_thumb.jp

post-53787-095309500 1285773767_thumb.jp

I couldn't get close enough to see their prices... And I wasn't inclined to hang around...

A friend of mine waited a little more than an hour in line.

I don't think its worth the 30 minute wait to have just one, but I think it is better than the other offerings we have.

Prices weren't too bad 249 thb for a dozen, by comparison Daddy Dough is 247 thb.

As someone who ate regularly at the first Krispy Kreme donught store in the world!!!!!!!!!

No, I wouldn't wait 30 minutes.......15 max....and I'd have to be really needing some sugar.

Lol queueing for a doughnut! You all must be mad! Queue for a salt beef bagel at 4am or good fish and chips freshly cooked to order.....but a doughnut?

Look they have these outlets in London and I never saw one person at their stall. EVER.

Utter madness....

Now foie gras, red wine and camembert, is another thing entirely.

They are not exactly breakfast snacks, but Napa Valley wines, Vemont cheeses and American steaks are pretty good too. :rolleyes:

We remain polarised in our choice of cuisine. Nothing wrong with a decent tenderloin for breakfast......better than a box of doughnuts!

OK the 3 you quote are certainly not bland or over rated - I love the taste of em too. But they are all 3 just as unhealthy as a donut. You surely can't eat foi gras with a clear conscience? Nothing wrong with the odd donut in a balanced diet - at least no animal was stuffed up until its liver was grotesque.:lol:

• Like 1