How Can I Stay With My Boyfriend?

I'm a 27 year old British national in Bangkok on a 2 month tourist visa. I came to Thailand with my boyfriend, and he has just been offered a job.

Our current visa runs out at the end of October, so we will be leaving and getting a Non-Immi B visa for him. I'm not sure what to do for me.

I know that I can get a 1 year Ed visa and study Thai, but is this really my best option?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

gs

As you are not actually married an ED is probably the best solution available in the region.

IIRC Vientiane are currently issuing double entry Tourist Visas for free, with a 30 day extension of each stamp that's good for nearly 6 months in the kingdom with just 1 visa run (watch the expiry date).

If you don't mind a trip home to the UK you can get a 1 year non-o visa from Hull for 'visiting friends' which you can squeeze 15 months out of.

Well, let's see...Are you a religious/missionary type? Are there any Thailand volunteer programs you want to volunteer for? Can you get a job and work visa for Thailand? Do you have lots of money to invest in Thailand? Are you and your boyfriend ready to get married?

If the answer to all of the above is "no", then an education visa is probably your best bet. However Thailand is trying to crack down on the "buy-a-visa" businesses, and based on the experiences of Chiang Mai University Thai language students who thought they had a safe Ed visa by going through a reputable institution (see www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/395023-cmu-fails-to-provide-visa-support-documents), choosing a safe program can be a challenge.

Well, let's see...Are you a religious/missionary type? Are there any Thailand volunteer programs you want to volunteer for? Can you get a job and work visa for Thailand? Do you have lots of money to invest in Thailand? Are you and your boyfriend ready to get married?

If the answer to all of the above is "no", then an education visa is probably your best bet. However Thailand is trying to crack down on the "buy-a-visa" businesses, and based on the experiences of Chiang Mai University Thai language students who thought they had a safe Ed visa by going through a reputable institution (see www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/395023-cmu-fails-to-provide-visa-support-documents), choosing a safe program can be a challenge.

I'm job hunting at the moment. Although it has to be said, I'm fairly pessimistic about me landing a job here. I have no degree, and I also have red dreadlocks and two nose rings. My tattoos I can cover up of course...

gs

You might want to chk. on that. I got one from a Thai school in Thailand and they did all the paperwork, i just had to leave the country (Malaysia that time) to start it and then to immigration every three months after that, and my school provided all the paperwork necessary beforehand. things can be different here depending on lots of things, like where you are, who you are dealing with and what time it is

If I can piggy back here please. Can a Education Visa be applied for while still in Thailand?

No, you will have to go abroad with papers from the school.

Believe Mario was referring to abroad being outside of Thailand where the poster is now so that would include Malaysia.

Edit:

The 90 day extensions of stay can be obtained inside Thailand with proper paperwork.

Edited by lopburi3

If I can piggy back here please. Can a Education Visa be applied for while still in Thailand?

No, you will have to go abroad with papers from the school.

However there are private schools, and I think some universities, that can get you the Ed visa with just a few days in a foreign city with a Thai Embassy. Vientianne is popular for this kind of thing. Some of these schools are legitimate, some are not, all want money up front. The lowest price I ever heard was ten thousand baht from a school that claimed it could get an ed visa for anyone who was, uh, thinking about taking classes--nudge, nudge, wink, wink. These shady visas are vulnerable during visa crackdowns, I recommend going with a reputable school and planning on being a serious student.

I'm job hunting at the moment. Although it has to be said, I'm fairly pessimistic about me landing a job here. I have no degree, and I also have red dreadlocks and two nose rings. My tattoos I can cover up of course...

gs

No chance unles you get rid of the nose rings and tidy yourself up. Schools here are looking for qualified teachers with experience that can set an example to the students which does not include tatoos and dreadlocks. Best for you is an ED visa or a get a 1 year visa from Hull.and then see what turns up job wise

gs

No chance unles you get rid of the nose rings and tidy yourself up. Schools here are looking for qualified teachers with experience that can set an example to the students which does not include tatoos and dreadlocks. Best for you is an ED visa or a get a 1 year visa from Hull.and then see what turns up job wise

Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't necessarily thinking about a teaching job, because I know that teachers have to project a particular image, an image that the school sells to the parents.

I don't remember saying I was untidy though...

^well what he is saying - doubt you will find work not projecting a professional image. Nose rings and red dreadlocks won't cut it for most employers whether that is faire or not is open to debate. ;)

It certainly depends on the industry. I wouldn't rule out a job in the arts fields, for example.

My advice to girlscott: Do get out into the arts' scene, whatever you like (music, paintings, acting) and just mingle (we call that 'networking'). You'll meet people and someone might have a job for you. If you are not into arts, you will know your field but my advice still holds: Get to know people. Locals and expats alike.

In my humble experience, networking is the only way to find a job over here. For us expats, that is.

^well what he is saying - doubt you will find work not projecting a professional image. Nose rings and red dreadlocks won't cut it for most employers whether that is faire or not is open to debate. ;)

It certainly depends on the industry. I wouldn't rule out a job in the arts fields, for example.

My advice to girlscott: Do get out into the arts' scene, whatever you like (music, paintings, acting) and just mingle (we call that 'networking'). You'll meet people and someone might have a job for you. If you are not into arts, you will know your field but my advice still holds: Get to know people. Locals and expats alike.

In my humble experience, networking is the only way to find a job over here. For us expats, that is.

Thanks Tom, that's great advice!

I hope it helps. Please do let us know in due course (a couple of months?) how it went.

I hope it helps. Please do let us know in due course (a couple of months?) how it went.

Will do! I'm going to come back on another 2 month tourist visa, giving me 3 months from now to sort something out. Whilst flat hunting we met another westerner, and he mentioned a job going at his place. It's not that suitable for me, but it proves what you said, it's all about networking!

Will do! I'm going to come back on another 2 month tourist visa, giving me 3 months from now to sort something out. Whilst flat hunting we met another westerner, and he mentioned a job going at his place. It's not that suitable for me, but it proves what you said, it's all about networking!

Once you have a job, you'll owe me a beer. I hope you are aware of that. :wai::burp:

Once you have a job, you'll owe me a beer. I hope you are aware of that. :wai::burp:

But only at happy hour, buy one get one free!!

But only at happy hour, buy one get one free!!

That's perfectly acceptable! :-)

As you will both have to leave to get new visas at the end of October, why not go to Vientianne, you could obtain a double entry tourist visa, which are free at the moment. That would you give about 6 months here (with 1 border run, and 2 trips to immigration), and time to sort out your future plans.

I have no degree, and I also have red dreadlocks and two nose rings. My tattoos I can cover up of course...

gs

Is that the reason why you are not married?

Not a chance, real men love chicks with tattoos and nose rings and red hair too!!

Edited by djvolak

I thought the free visas from Laos stopped March 2010.

In England I got a double entry tourist visa, so had 2 months here, then went to Vietnam for a week, then back here for our 2nd entry. So when I leave to get a new visa, I would have already had 4 months in Thailand.

What are the chances that a foreign Thai embassy will refuse me a visa, and say that after 4 months, I'm not a tourist?

I have no degree, and I also have red dreadlocks and two nose rings. My tattoos I can cover up of course...

gs

Not a chance, real men love chicks with tattoos and nose rings and red hair too!!

Ha ha ha! 'Is that why I'm not married?'

That's hilarious.

Thanks djvolak ;)

gs

Ha ha ha! 'Is that why I'm not married?'

That's hilarious.

Thanks djvolak ;)

Well we can't have people being rude when a young lady asks questions now can we! Your quite welcome!

• Like 1

Well you've all been super helpful. Thank you.

Nex time my Nana asks why I'm not married I may suggest it's because of my piercings, tattoos and awesome hair...

Just trying to sort through visa bumf - why is it all so difficult?

Last question: If my boyfriend is getting a Non-Immigration visa (B) because he has a job offer, assuming he gets the work permit sorted when we return, does he still have to leave once every 90 days?

gs

ps. thaivisa forum is ace.

• Like 1

He would need to obtain an extension of stay to avoid 90 day visa trips. That would require an income of about 50k per month (if western nationality) and full business paperwork with a history of tax payments for firm so new companies would not likely pass.

gs

Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't necessarily thinking about a teaching job, because I know that teachers have to project a particular image, an image that the school sells to the parents.

I don't remember saying I was untidy though...

Some private schools bend the rules to include less qualified teachers from the Philippines, so it is possible to get a teaching job.

Edited by sbk
personal commentary removed