What Invention/Device/Thing Do Thais Need More Than Anything?

2long

On lotto day (today)... understanding of basic probability.

:)

The lottery isn't a bad unofficial tax as long as it's contributed towards something good (education, public infrastructure) rather than some corrupt politician's pocket or mafia racket.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably have to say a sarkworth

BUMP

No-one else seems to be taking this seriously

SC

Cummon, StreetCowboy, does ANYONE take ANYTHING serious on these forums?

Where can I get a good hamburger or plate of Pad Thai?:)

BUMP

SC

There's a Sarkworths hamburger joint near Nana......

Isn't there?

Surely there must be....

ANR. Automatic numberplate reading. Thailand already has it, but use it for motorcyclists without helmets. You take the boys in brown and their tea money out of the equation. But then also waive the fine if you instead show up to purchase a helmet made to proper safety standards. Really a no brainer ,(forgive the pun...crash helmet etc) how many lives would this save ? Sure there are flaws, I can see them from here but its a start....;

Edited by roamer

On lotto day (today)... understanding of basic probability.

The lottery isn't a bad unofficial tax as long as it's contributed towards something good (education, public infrastructure) rather than some corrupt politician's pocket or mafia racket.

I'm not saying it's good or bad in itself. It's when people who can't afford it play and hope that the results will make their lives better (which odds are it won't) that it's a negative thing.

Edited by Heng

I guess we could look at the lottery as giving those folk who play, a hope/dream for a fortnight, which is renewable. I saw a happy individual after a lottery drawing, as he missed the big number by one number in the sequence. I have seen unhappy individuals also, who were not close. But they all seemed enthused that they got another chance, next time. I have seen people ecstatic that they won a bicycle at the Wat fair. They had no need for it and it fell apart within a week when given to the neighbor. They still went to the next fair with hopes of winning a tv.

I'm not saying it's good or bad in itself. It's when people who can't afford it play and hope that the results will make their lives better (which odds are it won't) that it's a negative thing.

The winning amount is usually hilariously low too. The bumpkins who win even the high end jackpots of 10-30 million baht will blow through that in a few years. I remember mentioning to some friends that the U.S. lottery ball regularly reaches 40+ million dollars and the ticket costs close to the same amount as Thai lotto tickets. hel_l, the odds are probably the same too..

The winning amount is usually hilariously low too.

Depends a bit if you play the legal lottery or underground 2-3 digit number lottery where your winnings depend the amount you put in. 3-digit one used to be 400-1 as I remember meaning 100 baht would give you 40,000 if you win.

Edited by meom

Meom; If the odds are 400 to 1 on the three digit, underground in your neighborhood, I would give them a pass. The last I heard here was 700 to 1. I figure that is low balling it as that is not close to real odds.

BUMP

SC

There's a Sarkworths hamburger joint near Nana......

Isn't there?

Surely there must be....

I think you can get a Sarkworths' at the Camping Bars at the back of Nana...

SC

A airport type scanner for politicians to walk through that detects corruption and vaporizes the ones that beep, no pat down required.

There would only be about 3 politicians left in Thailand if they did that (or they would be taking more cruises)

Which 3?????? plzzz

(whitening cream that actually worked would be a great one)

or the Istmus Canal

The winning amount is usually hilariously low too.

Depends a bit if you play the legal lottery or underground 2-3 digit number lottery where your winnings depend the amount you put in. 3-digit one used to be 400-1 as I remember meaning 100 baht would give you 40,000 if you win.

IMO it doesn't really matter what the payout is (unless for whatever reason you want to know what the house edge is... which to the average player is irrelevant since they are not part of the house, nor do all of the players pool and divide their winnings) when the odds are still indeed 1000 to 1 and 100 to 1 (not including other types of 'plays' where the house has an edge either way). It still (just IMO) really should be interpreted to be a 'bad bet' for folks who still pay their grocery, utility, and worse yet kids tuition fees late and often struggle to make those payments at all.

If self canceling is not easily added then beeper to indicate light is flashing. I would like one as I am not always perfect in daylight. ALSO a inexpensive ice cream machine but maybe more for me than them.

Your wish is my command;

http://www.indicator-buzzers.com/index-3.php?region=international I've seen/heard a few Thais with them on, so obviously available here.

Ice cream machine? 22-25b too steep for a Cornetto then is it? :blink:

increase IQ level pills :whistling:

:lol: :lol: Everybody appears to be REALLY polite today, 3 pages and 'Brains' nowhere to be seen?

I'll go with;

Maturity

Even though I don't place a great deal of emphasis on it personally :whistling::D

Motion sensors on cel phones so they turn off when the phone is in motion. I can't recall all the number of Thais I see riding motorbikes with one hand while the other is holding a cel phone and the rider is talking on it.

But, the turning signal automatically turning off after so many seconds would be easier to install.

What about being able to locate stolen mobiles using the phone's mfr #? Or failing that, at all?? It might prevent them vanishing like the morning mist, and the visit to the police station reporting the theft a slightly less pointless exercise :huh:

Motion sensors on cel phones so they turn off when the phone is in motion. I can't recall all the number of Thais I see riding motorbikes with one hand while the other is holding a cel phone and the rider is talking on it.

But, the turning signal automatically turning off after so many seconds would be easier to install.

What about being able to locate stolen mobiles using the phone's mfr #? Or failing that, at all?? It might prevent them vanishing like the morning mist, and the visit to the police station reporting the theft a slightly less pointless exercise :huh:

Incidentally, when my mobile "disappeared" the wife called someone, cant ask who,because she is out of the shop at the moment, and within 15 minutes they called back to say the mobile was disabled. No one could use ever. If we found it, we could call back and have it enabled later. At least we got the satisfaction that no one could ever use it, and probably wound up in the garbage.

Incidentally, when my mobile "disappeared" the wife called someone, cant ask who,because she is out of the shop at the moment, and within 15 minutes they called back to say the mobile was disabled. No one could use ever. If we found it, we could call back and have it enabled later. At least we got the satisfaction that no one could ever use it, and probably wound up in the garbage.

I tell everyone that, who phones up. It makes them feel much better.

Make sure you phone me as soon as you find the phone, before you try to use it...

SC

Self deploy crash air-bags on the deck around high rise condos, especially in Pattaya.

Frequent users “fine discount cards” for police bogus fines. Say! 40% off.

but would the crash air bags be for the Thais or for the falang that 'fall' out of high rise buildings

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's 68 year old retired electrician Heinrich Mueller from Munich who just discovered everything he's worked for in his life has just been pissed down the Swannee in the space of 2 months by 22 year old Nok from Yasothon.