UBC Problems Again? Anyone Else Got 'em?

RDN

UBC is advising a disruption of DTV and Digital CATV due to a transformer failure on Rama 6 Road this morning and that they hope to have back to normal soon. One good time to be using the old analog CATV.

QUOTES:

Could UBC publish a statement, saying they have a problem on their website..? of course not.

and...

Why don't the dimwits at UBC tell you this?

Because they don't have to. They have your money and that is all they care about. Not a thought is given to service. It's an alien concept to Thai people.

I heard once of a guy who bought a pair of shoes from a department store and the next day they fell apart. He took them back and asked for a refund. They refused and when he wouldn't leave the store they called the police!

I did this and it worked:

Take off the UBC box power cord for one minute.

Let the consumer box re-count the channels again.

Voila!

Ours has been out for 24 hours (E64). Just now did what george suggested and it's back to normal. Why don't the dimwits at UBC tell you this? TiT. :D

I think they suggest that on the problem solving page of the manual you get when they install. :o

Can't say for certain as I am in the UK and the manual in Korat. :D

The History Channel is BACK!!!!

Check it out on channel 23.

I am guessing you had the same problem as I did where some months ago there was no History Channel because a different channel overlaid #23. Since it was one of my favorites and always printed in the guide I called them to ask what's the deal. They guided me through some reset / channel scanning on the box and it appeared. Had I not done that I would have never had known and suspect many just never knew they were supposed to be getting it.

Voila!

Been doing that on average once every 2-3 weeks for the last 3 years and it generally works!

Better longer-term solution though is to cancel out the UBC subscription and go the Satellite System route.

20-24K Baht for a top-notch system with an impressive channel array -- Cinemax, HBO, StarMovies, StarWorld, Fox, 21st Century, Turner Classic Network, Hallmark, Bloomberg, BBC, CNN and many others -- a total of 130 channels, including 3 heavy boom-boom channels ( :o ).

Sound & pic quality .... outstanding -- connected the line out to a home theatre system and yeah, with a subwoofer flat to 20 Hz., finally got what I wanted. :D

Cost recovery = 1 year approx. compared to UBC and there are NO monthly fees.

:D

Aren't those major channels like Cinemax, HBO, Star Movies, Star World, Turner Classic Movies, Hallmark, Bloomberg, BBC and CNN encrypted?

My UBC also feeds into a home theatre system but it's the encryption that puts me off an independent satellite system. I've heard it's not easy to crack.

I wouldn't want to lose BBC Prime, even though the novelty is wearing off a bit and the incessant repeating of the same promos drives me nuts.

Never had a manual.

A lot of trouble the last day(s).

Next wednesday the satelite guys are coming.Most probably I will activate my hugh disk already placed.

Now about 3000/month.Next year complete free :o

...on the problem solving page of the manual you get when they install. :o ...

You get a manual? :D

Yes in civilized Korat we get manuals! :D !

RDN, hope you have fun in Bangkok on Friday.......... :D

I'm stuck here in London for another 3 weeks....... :D

Send my regards to one and all :D:D

Edit - Just saw your post Dutch, I got my UBC installed by Tai Fa Motors and a manual came with the decoder.

Edited by dereklev

..Yes in civilized Korat we get manuals! :D !

RDN, hope you have fun in Bangkok on Friday.......... :o

I'm stuck here in London for another 3 weeks....... :D

Send my regards to one and all :D  :D...

I recall another poster suggesting that there was a good market for these manuals, so any new customer of UBC had better ask - before they come to do the installation - whether they will get a manual or not. If the answer is 'yes' and the installer doesn't provide one, kick up a fuss until you get it!

Still not 100% sure about bkk.

I guess London's not quite the same as Bangkok :D:D

Voila!

Been doing that on average once every 2-3 weeks for the last 3 years and it generally works!

Better longer-term solution though is to cancel out the UBC subscription and go the Satellite System route.

20-24K Baht for a top-notch system with an impressive channel array -- Cinemax, HBO, StarMovies, StarWorld, Fox, 21st Century, Turner Classic Network, Hallmark, Bloomberg, BBC, CNN and many others -- a total of 130 channels, including 3 heavy boom-boom channels ( :o ).

Sound & pic quality .... outstanding -- connected the line out to a home theatre system and yeah, with a subwoofer flat to 20 Hz., finally got what I wanted. :D

We are thinking of getting a satellite system, maybe JSAT, but it looked like all those premium channels you mentioned are subscription only. What company did you buy your satelite from? We're in Na Jom Tien.

Beachbunny

Hi Harmonica,

Do you have any more info on your Satellite installer, website, contact details?

Sounds like the sort of installation I need at my place too, also through the home theatre!

Thanks..

:o

Voila!

20-24K Baht for a top-notch system with an impressive channel array -- Cinemax, HBO, StarMovies, StarWorld, Fox, 21st Century, Turner Classic Network, Hallmark, Bloomberg, BBC, CNN and many others -- a total of 130 channels, including 3 heavy boom-boom channels ( :D ).

Hi Harmonica,

Do you have any more info on your Satellite installer, website, contact details?

Sounds like the sort of installation I need at my place too, also through the home theatre!

Thanks..

Voila!

20-24K Baht for a top-notch system with an impressive channel array -- Cinemax, HBO, StarMovies, StarWorld, Fox, 21st Century, Turner Classic Network, Hallmark, Bloomberg, BBC, CNN and many others -- a total of 130 channels, including 3 heavy boom-boom channels ( :D ).

My system is DYNASAT -- purchased the system in Chiang Mai. Not sure about the connection with the famous and ubiquitous PSI systems -- these guys advertise everywhere and are often to be found at sales booths in Tesco, BigC etc. -- prices apparently start from 15K. Not recommended however unless one of the satellites offered is Aguila-KU.

No encryption or channels disappearing. Read further ...

The Dynasat system however, seems to be the creme de la creme -- many satellites (18?) included, but the premier one is Aguila-KU from the Philippines. Absolutely outstanding stuff -- even the Tegalo language Philippino stuff is real good and some of the music is downright A+.

Aguila-KU has 56+ channels. I generally don't bother with any of the other satellites -- this one has the meat.

Here's why this system is the type for the future:

Until about a month ago, the broadcasters in the Philippines were changing the access codes 2-3 times per day, so depending on how much TV one watches one had to crack the code each time -- no problem here; chinese programmers usually crack it in 15 minutes and post on a chinese website -- all Chinese, but I could smell the roman numerals and always found the right code rapidly.

Now the local company in CM has built into the system a new decoder that cracks the code automatically in real-time -- no need to go to the NET. Very nice.

Just sit back and enjoy!

DYNASAT is now coming up with a similar UBC type card to be plugged into the ready-to-go card slot in the present batch of receivers -- this will bring in some real classy programming from Australia and other destinations. The estimated monthly cost will be around 600 Baht for the works.

However there is no monthly charge for what I'm currently getting and one does not have to upgrade.

www.dynasat.com ..... looks like for Myanmar, but the system is identical -- check it out. I have not spent any real time at the website.

Hi Harmonica,

Thanks..

Voila!

My system is DYNASAT -- purchased the system in Chiang Mai. Not sure about the connection with the famous and ubiquitous PSI systems -- these guys advertise everywhere and are often to be found at sales booths in Tesco, BigC etc. -- prices apparently start from 15K. Not recommended however unless one of the satellites offered is Aguila-KU.

No encryption or channels disappearing. Read further ...

The Dynasat system however, seems to be the creme de la creme -- many satellites (18?) included, but the premier one is Aguila-KU from the Philippines. Absolutely outstanding stuff -- even the Tegalo language Philippino stuff is real good and some of the music is downright A+.

Aguila-KU has 56+ channels. I generally don't bother with any of the other satellites -- this one has the meat.

Here's why this system is the type for the future:

Until about a month ago, the broadcasters in the Philippines were changing the access codes 2-3 times per day, so depending on how much TV one watches one had to crack the code each time -- no problem here; chinese programmers usually crack it in 15 minutes and post on a chinese website -- all Chinese, but I could smell the roman numerals and always found the right code rapidly.

Now the local company in CM has built into the system a new decoder that cracks the code automatically in real-time -- no need to go to the NET. Very nice.

Just sit back and enjoy!

DYNASAT is now coming up with a similar UBC type card to be plugged into the ready-to-go card slot in the present batch of receivers -- this will bring in some real classy programming from Australia and other destinations. The estimated monthly cost will be around 600 Baht for the works.

However there is no monthly charge for what I'm currently getting and one does not have to upgrade.

www.dynasat.com ..... looks like for Myanmar, but the system is identical -- check it out. I have not spent any real time at the website.

Thaks for that info - How big a sattelite disk do you need?

• 1 month later...