House Rental In Chiang Rai

sunholidaysun1

I will be back in Chiang Rai soon and would like to rent a house. Previously I have managed to find a place for myself prior to arriving yet there doesnt seem to be many places for rent that are not charging stupid rental rates. Is this a new thing in Chiang Rai where foreigners are bumping up the rental prices to make a quick buck ?

The rental rates on Lanna Realty seem very high , but a friend of mine in Chiang Rai has said he has a place for 4000 bht per month . I have asked him to look out for something for me but if any of you know of something available please let me know.

What I require is a 1-3 bedroom with enclosed garden , preferably less than 8km from town , part furnished but not essential as I can get the bits and bobs I need. I also prefer not to live in a housing estate , prefering to live amongst the Thai people. Whats the point of being in Thailand if your living with foreigners ?

Rental period , several years .

Many thanks

Sun.

Good luck on finding a rental house for that price range and I mean that, not being sarcastic. :huh:

What Price should I pay then ?? I know many foreigners in CR who are paying under 6000 bht , ask them at Rico Bar, thats the place to be by all accounts for information .

Thanks for your input anyway , I hope I do find something .

i think to find those cheaper places (they are quite basic) you have just drive around and look for signs.

if you cant read thai, bring a friend who can.

the stuff on websites is higher priced but often (not always) a little more high end (relatively)...

also many housing estates are predominantly occupied by thais, they arent just enclaves of farangs...

good luck. hope you find something... definately enlist a thai friend to help if you can... maybe offering them a small commision if they find one for you...

4,000, 5,000, 6,000 a month for decent places are very do-able here. If you want to start going upscale, then raise the prices accordingly; the hi-so stuff is out there. The every-guy stuff is out there as well, at every-guy prices. However, I do know of one couple who were paying 10,000 a month for a crappy place with roof leaks, falling paint and a long drive to town. They went through an agency to get the place and just assumed that the agency was doing the best it could for them. It wasn't. It was doing the best it could for the property owners. The owner is who pays the agency, not the renter.

4,000, 5,000, 6,000 a month for decent places are very do-able here. If you want to start going upscale, then raise the prices accordingly; the hi-so stuff is out there. The every-guy stuff is out there as well, at every-guy prices. However, I do know of one couple who were paying 10,000 a month for a crappy place with roof leaks, falling paint and a long drive to town. They went through an agency to get the place and just assumed that the agency was doing the best it could for them. It wasn't. It was doing the best it could for the property owners. The owner is who pays the agency, not the renter.

Thanks for your input, at least I am not alone in my views of certain foreign owned realty agents in Chiang Rai . I have had dealings with one of them before and Was not impressed with HIS bad service , all he was interested in was the 3 months rental commission he was going to get if I took one of his listed places. I have had bad reports on some dealings from friends who have had bad experiences and unsound advice from one company in Chiang Rai , I think you know who I am talking about, however I will not name them for obvious reasons.

I will take a look around when I get there , im sure I will find something . .