Need More Pages

hi guys,

friend has no pages left in his uk passport. he has rang chaingmai consulate. they told him to send it to hong kong.

cant he just go to the embassy in bangkok. he only has 3 weeks left on his visa.

many thanks for all your advice.

There is no procedure where you can add extra pages to a UK passport.

The UK Embassy in Bangkok no longer issue passports; so your friend will have to apply for a new passport with the UK Embassy in Hong Kong.

Your friend need only download, fill-out then post the application forms,etc along with a photocopy of the passport ID page.

If your friend has some of his pages filled with the large stick on visas (eg from Cambodia, India etc) then these stick on visas can be removed (carefully) freeing up a page or two.

I have done this a couple of times with my passport. This might buy him 3 seeks?

If your friend has some of his pages filled with the large stick on visas (eg from Cambodia, India etc) then these stick on visas can be removed (carefully) freeing up a page or two.

I have done this a couple of times with my passport. This might buy him 3 seeks?

Is this legal? Is there a risk of any problem later?

That is illegal and can put you in a lot of trouble. It would also render you passport invalid.

And you subject to prosecution in accordance to your countries laws. In the case of the USA it is

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 75 > § 1543

Prev | Next

§ 1543. Forgery or false use of passport

How Current is This?

Whoever falsely makes, forges, counterfeits, mutilates, or alters any passport or instrument purporting to be a passport, with intent that the same may be used; or

Whoever willfully and knowingly uses, or attempts to use, or furnishes to another for use any such false, forged, counterfeited, mutilated, or altered passport or instrument purporting to be a passport, or any passport validly issued which has become void by the occurrence of any condition therein prescribed invalidating the same—

Shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 25 years (if the offense was committed to facilitate an act of international terrorism (as defined in section 2331 of this title)), 20 years (if the offense was committed to facilitate a drug trafficking crime (as defined in section 929 (a) of this title)), 10 years (in the case of the first or second such offense, if the offense was not committed to facilitate such an act of international terrorism or a drug trafficking crime), or 15 years (in the case of any other offense), or both.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00001543----000-.html

^ Nice citation there but there will be those who still think that carefully removing a sticker-type visa isn't really forging, counterfeiting, mutilating, or altering the passport.

However, an old buddy of mine that used to work with at the US State Dept pointed out their unstated opinion that any visa affixed or appended in any way to a passport then BECOMES PART OF THAT PASSPORT so legally can't be removed.*

This apparently was in response to people removing some of the additional pages that US passports can have legally added to extend passport usability, in order to hide the fact that they had visited certain countries.

So, you have been warned (but there's always those who think they are smarter).

* Just in case the non-believers chip in about Thai (and other countries) landing cards; yes, they become part of the passport while it is attached and the fact that it is added and removed by an Immigration official makes it legal. Adding and removing stuff just because it's handy and the passport has your name in it is not legal.