Singapore Airlines to offer phone calls, text messages and Wi-Fi Internet on long-haul flights

News_Editor

Singapore Airlines to offer phone calls, text messages and Wi-Fi Internet on long-haul flights

2010-10-05 19:29:22 GMT+7 (ICT)

LOS ANGELES (BNO NEWS) -- Singapore Airlines on Tuesday said its planning to offer phone calls, text messages and Wi-Fi Internet on long-haul flights.

The carrier said it will debut a range of onboard communication offerings as early as the first half of 2011, providing passengers with access to Wi-Fi Internet and mobile services under a multi-million-dollar collaboration with in-flight connectivity provider OnAir.

The mobile services will enable customers to make and receive voice calls, send text messages with their GSM-compatible mobile phones and send and receive email messages easily on smart phones.

The company said the services will be introduced progressively on flights operated by the Airline's A380, A340-500 and Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. The carrier was one of the pioneers to introduce Internet connectivity on board its Boeing 747-400 aircraft in 2005.

"Unlike the earlier trial introduction of an Internet service, this suite of features is for full implementation and we are pleased to offer this as an added choice to our in-flight program," said Singapore Airlines' Senior Vice President Product and Services, Mr. Yap Kim Wah.

"Traveling for business or pleasure, they are just a click or a text message away, with access to live information, social networking and news updates, as well as in-flight shopping."

According to Singapore Airlines, customers who use the mobile services will see their usage reflected in the monthly bills from their telecommunications provider where international GSM roaming rates apply. For Internet access, customers can sign up for an access package upon logging in to the system.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-10-05

How much will it cost?

Many airlines offer inflight telephones now, but at US$ 5 to 8/minute I think twice before using it. (Used it only once, many years ago.)

I like the idea of wifi on board and would like web-browsing or checking my emails on long flights. As long as it is affordable.

Great - now I have to listen to mindless idiots droning on and on. Its like im at work...

Well, I wouldn't like the person next to me talking on the phone on end. I have no problem with the charges of US$ 5-8/minute. It just means it's available if needed really urgently.

But I _would_ like the internet thingy.

Well, I wouldn't like the person next to me talking on the phone on end.

Do you realise the level of background ambient noise level on board an aircraft? Anyone using a telephone on board will almost certainly have to talk louder than normal. Imagine a few conversations going on around you when you are trying to sleep!

If this facility is available throughout their aircraft, I for one will never fly SIngapore AIrlines again. Period.

Constant sounds of phones going off even in vibration mode, loud talking over noisy plane cabin, stereo sound of neighbors on phones next to you, 'click clack' of keyboards, seat back shaking from person behind typing, glares and blinks from phones going off from messaging and incoming calls, spit flying all over the place,.....Great! Can't wait!!

Great - now I have to listen to mindless idiots droning on and on. Its like im at work...

Well, I wouldn't like the person next to me talking on the phone on end. I have no problem with the charges of US$ 5-8/minute. It just means it's available if needed really urgently.

But I _would_ like the internet thingy.

What makes you think that the people who refuse to switch off their phones now while it is still banned will use their phones in moderaton when it is not banned?

Yes the captain said we are passing over Tadjikistan at 33000 feet. Tadjikistan. TAD-JI-KI-STAN. No idea. Can't see anything out of the window. The guy next to me is trying to sleep and blocking the window. Window. WINDOW. Sleep. SLEEP

Yes, like

"HELLO, I'M ON THE PLANE"

'YES, THE PLANE I SAID"

"YES, WE'RE STILL AT BANGKOK. YES UNCLE JIMMY'S HERE. DO YOU WANT TO SPEAK TO HIM?"

NO, THE PLANE NOT THE TRAIN!" "Silly old moo".

I really can't wait. I wonder what the human race ever did before all this cr@p was put into it's hands?

Yes, like

'YES, THE PLANE I SAID"

"YES, WE'RE STILL AT BANGKOK. YES UNCLE JIMMY'S HERE. DO YOU WANT TO SPEAK TO HIM?"

I really can't wait. I wonder what the human race ever did before all this cr@p was put into it's hands?

I don't know about SQ, but on TG they have these earphones that filter out everything from outside. You only hear the program you are listening to (audio or video) or nothing when you go to sleep.

Recently travelled on NH, and the earphones did nothng to filter out the outside sounds. No difference whether I wore them or not.

I guess my expectations have risen over the years.

Yes, like

'YES, THE PLANE I SAID"

In the good old days aboard a military contract flight from Travus to Bangkok - via Hono Guam PI and Saigon for 26 hours in dress uniform I had to seat next to a 14 year old dependent traveling back for school brake to visit mom and dad Stationed in Bangkok. I really wish I had a phone then - I would have stuffed it in her mouth. She never stopped talking.

That's all I need ,is a loud mouth, gasbagging on a mobile at 2am in the morning , the only break you can get from these pieces of modern living is on a plane , now the money hungry rabbits are introducing them into the cabins, I'll look around for a carrier that wont have em , I'LL be stuffed if they ALL introduce them , will have to carry a noose to Thailand:D .

Well, I wouldn't like the person next to me talking on the phone on end.

Do you realise the level of background ambient noise level on board an aircraft? Anyone using a telephone on board will almost certainly have to talk louder than normal. Imagine a few conversations going on around you when you are trying to sleep!

If this facility is available throughout their aircraft, I for one will never fly SIngapore AIrlines again. Period.

Oman AIr, have the services listed in the starting thread. I've been on a few flights with them of late and hardly anyone I noticed was using a laptop or on the phone. Assuming they weren't playing games etc. For some I would imagine that it would be a credit card issue.