Convert From Non-Imm "F" To Non-Imm "Oa"

When did the OP last visit a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate and get a Non "F" visa which he used to entry Thailand? What was the expiration date of that visa? After that date the visa is expired and no longer valid. Immigration has been granting an extension of stay thereafter, not renewing his visa.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Khun KBN -- AS you are from USA, then you have 2 passports and your 'official' passport can only be used when you are on official or diplomatic agenda... you would use your regular passport for all other travel. Therefore, it may very well be that you cannot extend your 'F' visa simply because it it is in the wrong passport which you cannot use for personal travel.. and you should obtain a new visa in your non-official passport.

reason for edit: obviously American.

Edited by jazzbo

I don't think so. I cannot categorize what it is that they are doing, but each time it is done I have a new F visa with a new number and I also have a new extension of stay. The two are linked (they are issued on the same day, usually).

When did the OP last visit a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate and get a Non "F" visa which he used to entry Thailand? What was the expiration date of that visa? After that date the visa is expired and no longer valid. Immigration has been granting an extension of stay thereafter, not renewing his visa.

As pointed out earlier in the thread, my original visa was in the UNLP - in anticipation of the change in my status, I had the visa moved from my UNLP to my national (US) passport over a year ago. I now have the "F" visa in my US passport. When I travel for official purposes, I exit Thailand on my US passport and enter the mission destination on my UNLP (in which I obtain the proper visas). It is all very straightforward.

Just to reiterate, the latest and current version of the F visa is, and has been for a year, in my US national passport which I will use for travel and residence after 31 October (or 30 November, counting the grace period).

So that's not the problem...

S.

Khun KBN -- AS you are from USA, then you have 2 passports and your 'official' passport can only be used when you are on official or diplomatic agenda... you would use your regular passport for all other travel. Therefore, it may very well be that you cannot extend your 'F' visa simply because it it is in the wrong passport which you cannot use for personal travel.. and you should obtain a new visa in your non-official passport.

reason for edit: obviously American.

I suspect you may have a new extension of stay (first) and then a new multi re-entry permit to allow travel. The re-entry permit will have the same number as written on the extension of stay.

Edit to correct that the number has the same format as the extension of stay being number/Thai year.

I will admit to being lazy and not reading the whole thread -- if your 'F' is in your non-official passport, I would suggest filling out the TM7 and going to your IMM office and seeing if they will extend it prior to OCT 31 -- it would be the easiest and the worst is you are out 1900 baht ...

I don't think so. I cannot categorize what it is that they are doing, but each time it is done I have a new F visa with a new number and I also have a new extension of stay. The two are linked (they are issued on the same day, usually).

Immigration does not issue or renew visas, that's the job of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Immigration issues extensions of stay and re-entry permits, when applied for and you meet the requirements. As said, the OP should scan and post his latest set of US passport entries from immigration.

Immigration does not issue or renew visas, that's the job of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Immigration issues extensions of stay and re-entry permits, when applied for and you meet the requirements. As said, the OP should scan and post his latest set of US passport entries from immigration.

Two pages from US passport attached as requested.

Type F Visa.ed.pdf

So it is a free issue re-entry visa to allow travel on your extension of stay. Those that have to pay get a re-entry permit and it costs 3,800 baht. As they use the word visa on it that should make it even easier to extend for retirement if you visit before it becomes invalid. What you will be extending is that left page extension of stay and you will do it for retirement rather than Section 15.

The worst case would be you have to make a new entry but in no case do you need to return to US or obtain an OA visa.

So it is a free issue re-entry visa to allow travel on your extension of stay. Those that have to pay get a re-entry permit and it costs 3,800 baht. As they use the word visa on it that should make it even easier to extend for retirement if you visit before it becomes invalid. What you will be extending is that left page extension of stay and you will do it for retirement rather than Section 15.

The worst case would be you have to make a new entry but in no case do you need to return to US or obtain an OA visa.

OK. Then..

1. I assume that henceforth I too will have to pay the multiple entry fee of 3.8K baht. Fair enough.

2. If I've been getting the extension under Section 15, under what Section would I request a retirement extension - just so I can appear knowledgeable...

3. Is the "worst case" something within my ability to influence, or is it just up to the predilection of the official on duty at the time?

4. If I do have to exit the country (not to the US, let us say Phnom Penh or Vientiane), I need a visa to get back into Thailand. What kind of visa is that?

5. If I do have to exit the country, would that not invalidate the extension of stay, and reset the clock back to 90 days when I come back in?

1. Only if you plan frequent travel - a single entry costs 1,000 baht and would fit most people as you can always get another.

2. There will not be any section information on the stamp but they will put a stamp "retirement" next to the extension of stay stamp.

3. Up to them but asking and being polite can go a long way. They do try to be helpful - especially for retirement.

4. Best to obtain single entry non immigrant O visa (on basis of being over age 50 and planning retirement). But even a tourist visa would work but an extra 2,000 baht step to convert the entry later at immigration.

5. Address reporting always starts at day one on a new entry so yes. But it would also be a new extension of stay and the first such extension will count as a 90 day report so you would likely not have to report address until 90 days from retirement extension issue (as they are done same day as application).

...2. There will not be any section information on the stamp but they will put a stamp "retirement" next to the extension of stay stamp...

Khon Baan Nok, not all immigration offices use the same stamp but the link below will show you what a retirement extension stamp generally looks like:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/gallery/image/13313-extension-retirement-approved-bangkok-20080715/

Once you are on the retirement extension, your re-entry permit will be something like this (example of multiple-entry re-entry permit):

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/gallery/image/9090-re-entry-permit-non-imm-multiple-entries-bangkok-20080409jp/

Q3. Is the "worst case" something within my ability to influence, or is it just up to the predilection of the official on duty at the time?

A3. Up to them but asking and being polite can go a long way. They do try to be helpful - especially for retirement

Eighty percent of success is showing up. -- Woody Allen

1. Only if you plan frequent travel - a single entry costs 1,000 baht and would fit most people as you can always get another.

So if you go the cheap route and opt for the single entry, that means that (for a BKK resident) you have to make the trek out to Chaeng Wattana and buy another entry permit each time you leave Thailand? How much paperwork is involved in that and how long does it take each time you do it?

Cheers,

S.

Fill in a TM8 form. Passport size photo needed.

re entry.doc

Depending how busy they are it does not take long.

If you think that you will be leaving the country more than 3 times within the year it would be better to get the Multi Re Entry.

Also bear in mind that Weekends and holidays they will be closed.

I'm the OP and I'd like to thank all of you for the education. I must say, education notwithstanding, I'm still not quite certain what is going to happen when I show up at Immigration, but at least I have more ideas regarding the possibilities.

I will report back when the whole process is done.

I'm opening another thread on a different but related topic, and hope to see some of you there.

S.

So if you go the cheap route and opt for the single entry, that means that (for a BKK resident) you have to make the trek out to Chaeng Wattana and buy another entry permit each time you leave Thailand? How much paperwork is involved in that and how long does it take each time you do it?

Cheers,

S.

Yes. That's why I always go for a multiple re-entry permit.

I am in a position that is close to this but not entirely the same, I am not retiring, or old enough to retire.

I have been working in Thailand with a work permit, extension of stay and multiple entry for a number of years, but in January I will stop working for the Thai company and go back working for a Canadian company, working overseas in numerous locations, not Canada, but will continue living here with my wife (Thai).

My extension of stay is good until September 2011, but my work permit will be cancelled, what will I be required to do to keep my extension of stay and multiple entry permit? Will I have to have it cancelled and apply for a "O" visa, and then redo the extension of stay, and multiple entry or can I just notify immigration I am no longer working for the Thai company but that I am making money in Canada and married to a Thai?

Thanks.

On or before the date you stop working for the Thai company you must report to immigration and have your extension of stay based on working canceled. Then you immediately apply for an extension of stay based on being married to a Thai lady. You must meet the financial requirements for the married extension, 400,000 baht in a Thai bank for two months or 40,000 baht per month income. You get another re-entry permit after the new extension of stay is in your passport. You should not need to get a new Non "O" visa.

Thanks, that sounds easy enough, is there a specific form I need to fill?

Also would a letter from my Canadian Company stating my income need to be guaranteed from the Canadian Embassy as well? Or would copies of my pay-stubs from Canada be sufficient, I am currently working for both companies, the Canadian and Thai company, they are partners.

The same TM.7 form is used for all extensions of stay and costs 1,900 baht and 4x6cm photo. You would need wife and her documentation as well as marriage paperwork/photos to prove live together w/home number visible and her home register. Copies of everything. You will require a letter from your Embassy for income.

If you are planning on traveling during the transition period between extensions, since BKK usually reviews married extensions and you get a temporary under-review stamp in your passport, you will need an extra re-entry permit to cover the interim period. Or just stay put in Thailand until extension is approved.

Would her paperwork be her tambian baan, ID card?

Is there going to be a problem if we are living in Hua Hin and her tabian baan address is in Songkhla? We will be living in Hua Hin while our house is being built there. Should I get a letter from the Land Lord stating we are renting from them?

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure whether the OP has already achieved his goal. But today I met an old friend who was in the same situation: Being here on an F-visa in a UN-LP passport, and retirring here on an OA visa on his normal passport three years ago.

This is what he told me: During his employment with the UN, he never had to hand in his passport for an "extention of stay". This coincides with what I had heard from friends in the diplomatic corps (embassy level): The F-visa is valid as long as your turn, and if your turn is not limited in time, The F-visa is valid "indefinitely". - This is in fact international practice, the idea of our B or O visas expiring and then being on an "extention of stay" appears to me like a specifically Thai invention.

Back to my friend: Once he retired, the UN staff took him to immigration (still at Soi Suan Phlu at the time), and the F-visa in his UN-LP was cancelled. He proceeded to the office in charge of the retirement visa downstairs and had his THB 800,000 certificate etc ready and applied for the O (or is it OA? He wasn't sure) visa for his normal passport right away.

That's all.

So we learn: F-visa holders don't have to apply for extentions of stay like us commoners. Also, the visa is not transferred or transmodified upon retirement; instead, a new visa is issued into the normal passport without having to leave the country.

I hope this answers the OP's questions.