Koh Samui Condos, Beach Etc Info

I'm looking for a new place to live and I'm considering either Koh Samui or Hua Hin. Hua Hin seems like a far more quiet place to be, is that true?

When looking for condo appartments to rent will 8000thb be enough for a 35m2 room? I prefer high rise 10floors and up. Could someone please point out some buildings for me to check out?

I like it quiet and my main goal would be to walk my dog along the beach in the morning for about 4km but I heard many beaches are private nowadays. Are long quit walks possible early in the morning? I have this image of a party crazed full moon lsd island that goes on 24/7 with shattered glass laying around on the beach everywhere but maybe I'm all wrong?

Wow! Where to start? ....... :lol:

Condos exist here, but building regs. say that are not higher than a palm tree, so 4 stories is probably as high as they get. And prices here are higher than many places, condos are probably closer to 10k per month minimum, but 'ordinary' places can be had for less than that.

The crazed madness of Full Moon is once an month on the island next door. Quite a few km away!

No beach in Thailand is private - they all belong to the King/Government.

Long quiet walks on the beach are plentiful, although 4km in one direction before hitting a hill is going to be a bit tough to achieve. I suppose you could always turn around and walk back the other 2km?:rolleyes:

Strongly suggest you come on over here for a bit to do some more research .... it sounds to me that you have perhaps been given the totally wrong impression about this place.

Wow! Where to start? ....... :lol:

Condos exist here, but building regs. say that are not higher than a palm tree, so 4 stories is probably as high as they get. And prices here are higher than many places, condos are probably closer to 10k per month minimum, but 'ordinary' places can be had for less than that.

The crazed madness of Full Moon is once an month on the island next door. Quite a few km away!

No beach in Thailand is private - they all belong to the King/Government.

Long quiet walks on the beach are plentiful, although 4km in one direction before hitting a hill is going to be a bit tough to achieve. I suppose you could always turn around and walk back the other 2km?:rolleyes:

Strongly suggest you come on over here for a bit to do some more research .... it sounds to me that you have perhaps been given the totally wrong impression about this place.

Well said

A couple of more points.

Hui Hin is quiet. Very very very quiet.

Faces east - good sunrises. :(

Has taller condos (might get a good sunset from the top floor)

Has one (long) beach

Most important - No private beaches. This is a rumour put out by selfish hotels and resorts. :ermm:

I think that there is only one 10th floor and up on Samui, but it has a wide range of beaches, and a wide range of beach-side accom. :)

Do research at both places first. They are both very different.

Koh Samui has both a large Tesco and Carrefour right?

Let's say I want to walk my dog on the beach every morning at 8am, will I have a quiet beach or is loaded with tourists? I really got that impression...

If the view is ok 4 story would be fine. I do however have a dog and two cats, would anyone happen to know a place under 10.000thb that might allow these?

I read chaweng and Lamai beach are the most crowded. If I'd like that 2 km of quiet beach which beach should I attend too? I really wouldn't mind crossing some forest to get to the next beach off course even some road if it isn't too high on traffic.

Koh Samui has both a large Tesco and Carrefour right?

Let's say I want to walk my dog on the beach every morning at 8am, will I have a quiet beach or is loaded with tourists? I really got that impression...

If the view is ok 4 story would be fine. I do however have a dog and two cats, would anyone happen to know a place under 10.000thb that might allow these?

I do not think that any beach on Koh Samui is loaded with tourists at 8 am. Most tourists will have only just gone to bed a few hours earlier :D.

Apart from fishermen - it will be quiet. :sleepy:

Seriously, the early mornings here are the best part of the day in my opinion. 6am to 9am brilliant . The air is cool and fresh, and the morning sun is a dream. :thumbsup:

Sorry - I do not know condo prices.

Samui has a 3 Tescos, a Big C and a Makro. (No Carrefour).

So far it sounds pretty dam_n awesome :)

I have some more questions however maybe I should start a new topic but I'll try here first:

-How long does the trip from koh samui soil by ferry and bus onto bangkok bus station take?

-I read there's an immigration office on Koh Samui. I now live in Pattaya and my 1900thb extension on my 60 day tourist visa has been granted without a single word to the officer for two years now, goes the same for Samui or would I have to make trips elsewhere to get an extension?

-I have a bycicle, are there any repair shops on Koh Samui?

-How about visa runs? I now head over to the Cambodian border to activate my double entry visa, what does it cost and where does it take you on Koh Samui?

-Does anyone know of any pet hotels and vets on Koh Samui?

-I read internet on Koh Samui is horrible, is their cable acces available over the entire island? Which providers?

If you have a cat and a dog why on earth would you want them to be stuck in a high rise condo ? Finding a condo which will allow your pets is also going to be hard if not impossible. Why not opt for a quiet bungalow with a garden which is close to the beach ? You can get some nice bungalows near taling nam which would be ideal for both you and your pets. I would also come for a visit before you choose and not rely on your opinion from the things posted on the internet. Take a few days off and come and look. Stop off in HH on the way down for a few days and then choose. It all depends what your priorities are for where you choose to live. The 2 places are different in many ways.

A place in the Bo Phut / Mae Nam area would suit me best. If anyone knows some good places for me over there or perhaps knows for sure there aren't any in this area please let me know.

I doubt I'm going to have a garden for this money so perhaps a 6 story building would do? I like a bit of a view.

Yes offcourse my enquiries are serious. I'm going there in a couple of days but I'm paying rent, have to pay for a hotel there and an expensive pet hotel for my cats and dog here so my time is limited being on a budget.

I need to know where to go and what to expect since I might like it so much I'll try to rent a place once I'm there.

-How long does the trip from koh samui soil by ferry and bus onto bangkok bus station take?

The bus from Samui to Bangkok northern or southern bus terminal takes about 12 hours (including 1.5 hour ferry time). It's reasonable starts from 600-1000 bt including ferry cost.

There are at least one bicycle repair shop that just recently opened here in Chaweng. I heard it's quite OK and will check it out myself soon since I'm also into biking.

-How about visa runs? I now head over to the Cambodian border to activate my double entry visa, what does it cost and where does it take you on Koh Samui?

There are visa runs to Burma and Malaysia from Samui.

There are many vets here on Samui but not sure about pet hotels. I just know of a petshop which also can take care of pets for you.

-I read internet on Koh Samui is horrible, is their cable acces available over the entire island? Which providers?

I use 3BB which is the major provider here on the Island. It's OK and fast. I can easily max out my 7mbit speed when torrenting or rapidsharing. Only the occational signal error when it rains.

Over here that means an one hour shower every day but I'm not going for sunbathing anyways. Walk the beaches and look if I can find an affordable room in Bo Phut or Ban Chaweng. If I need a big Tesco around the corner, are there any other villages on the island an option? Tesco Lotus shouldn't be further away than 5km.

So far it sounds pretty dam_n awesome :)

I have some more questions however maybe I should start a new topic but I'll try here first:

-I read there's an immigration office on Koh Samui. I now live in Pattaya and my 1900thb extension on my 60 day tourist visa has been granted without a single word to the officer for two years now, goes the same for Samui or would I have to make trips elsewhere to get an extension?

Are you related to Magnus Magnusson mate, i know its an info forum ...... but dam_n.

You want deserted beach, but also conveninece with supermarkets etc. It's not compatible on this island. The really nice, quiet and deserted places are at least 10 km to the nearest 7-11!

I think Chaweng or Lamai is probably the place for you. Even 6-7 in the morning, there are already people on the beaches, mostly walking or running etc.

There isn't really any high-rises here on Samui due to building regulations.

I live at an apartment complex which I pay only 3500, and they allow pets.

Unfortunately, it's not beach side. In fact, I don't think there are any apartments beach-side at all. All the beach side properties are hotels.

I don't think there are even "condos" on the island. At least not the thing they'd call condos other places in Thailand. There are houses and then there are hotels/apartments where you may rent monthly. However, they charge extra for electricity and water, so you don't pay directly. On condos, you pay directly.

By the way, welcome to the island! :)

So if I want to have a walk and have that real tropical beach experience with nothing but palms and trees on the back of the beach instead of a boulevard/hotels/bars/restaurants, which part of which beach preferably near Bo Phut/Chaweng would have the longest strip of sand where you won't have to see human structures when you take your eyes of the water?

I presume there are cheap songthaews driving around the entire island like here so beaches further away would be interesting as well.

The really deserted beaches are out of the songthiew's route.

On Samui island it is pretty much occopied on almost all the beaches. Perhaps only some short strips of beach there is still some unbuildt, but that's hardly for perhaps max 500 m.

All the beaches on Samui are max 5 km in lenght before you hit some kind of rock. You can look on Google earth.

I'd say the most deserted beaches on Samui are Pang-Ka on the south-west part of the island. There is one whole beach about 500 m in lenght which is entirely deserted with no buildings/people whatsoever. It's between Pang-Ka nortwards to Taling-Ngam. This beach is situated in such a way that you won't be able to see any traces of human civilization exept for the ferries out on the ocean. It is quite nice actually and I enjoyed the serenity.

But that is way outside any song-thiew route. You pretty much need to own your motorbike or a bicycle is fine too. Otherwise I just keep phone numbers of motorcycle taxis to pick me up.

Why not fly down

I just got 2 return tickets for next week from BK Don Muang to Trang for less than 7,500bht total including insurance (Nok air).

12 hours on a coach............. when you can fly for so little.

(Deserted beach holiday hopefully, Koh Libong, Hat Yeo)

Edited by sarahsbloke

Right, flying directly to Samui with Bangkok Airways will cost you a small fortune while flying to nearby towns + transport & ferry to Samui will cost less, but still take you 6 hours or so and costs several thousands.

Bus takes 12 hours, but will cost less than 1000 bt.

Personally, 6 or 12 hours of travel isn't really much of difference plus with bus you won't have the hassle of changing from the different modes of transportation and the waiting in between.

Yeah I'm gonna take the bus otherwise it'll all get too expensive.

I'm warned chaweng is just a little town and that if I rent a budget room there 7000-9000thb I will be in constant noise pollution from bars and discos at night, airplanes in the morning and construction work the rest of the day... Is that true?!

Chaweng is the biggest town here on Samui. The other places are smaller.

The airport is situated here so around Chaweng area you will get some noise from the planes. Also, depending on where you chose to live, you won't neccesary get the noise from bars etc.

You'll have to come over here and look around yourself to get the picture.

Samui isn't as cosmopolitan as Hua Hin or Pattaya and you get more of the "upcountry" feel here. Things are quite laid-back around here.

ok geezer if your enquiries are serious then I suggest you try Bangrak.

along Bangrak are some good quality bungalows with rent about 7500 to maybee 10,000 baht a month, bungalow better for animals than a condo,

although there are quite a few buildings of maybe 3 stories high which will give you sea views. there are some relatively new apts above the 7/11 store and a small block about 35 meters away from that,

I believe they are about 6,000 baht but I aint positive and they have no kitchen.

the beach is on the opposite side of the street and is never busy (at a guess I would say its aprox 2.5 km long), plenty of eateries and watering holes in walking distance, 15 minutes into Chaweng or 6 minutes into

that 1 way street people call fishermans village (on a scooter).

most bars and restaurants are dog friendly, there is a good mix of aussie,british and a few french & dutch ex pats, all sound people.

good luck

Edited by starcandle

"When looking for condo appartments to rent will 8000thb be enough for a 35m2 room? I prefer high rise 10floors and up. Could someone please point out some buildings for me to check out?"

this is taking the piss. r u sure u meant to post on samui. not singapore.

i like it i might copy this winde up for another time.

I suggest it u r looking for the 10th floor up. i suggest build a tree house. u might get the wood for about 8000 baht.

Anyway it is obviuos u r taking the piss we don't even have buildings inn samui. just building sites :jap: