And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

8. 34

Indian Woman Strips in Defence Against Theft Claim

9. 38

Are Older Men in Thailand Trading Love for Financial Ruin

10. 165

Ukraine ... Enlighten yourself

11. 2,488

Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

12. 165

Ukraine ... Enlighten yourself

13. 25

Israeli Interrogator Warns of Continued Violence as Long as Hamas Leader Sinwar Lives

14. 72

A good hotdog

Jomtien Residents, Would You Like A Real Supermarket?

Jingthing

This is for Jomtien residents only  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Foodmart market in Jomtien is not a REAL supermarket. It's a convenience, for sure, but almost EVERY item is marked up higher, sometimes a lot higher than normal Pattaya markets. So it's good for short term tourists and for an occasional convenience, but if you cook at home often and you shop only there, you are spending A LOT more than you have to for not going into Pattaya.

Aren't they supposed to be building a couple of big places on the hill down to Jomtien?

Where The Chateu was supposed to be and the place opposite?

But I reckon it'll never happen.

That seemed to have been nixed a long time ago. Also the large ground floor area in Jomtien Complex near the Ritz Cafe was reported a long time ago that it was going to be a new Tops, and it never happened. If there is ever a new supermarket maybe the new second road area would be a good spot, lots of empty lots there.

Edited by Jingthing

One thing I don't understand about Foodmart, which I believe is Aussie owned. Why do they price as they do? Any expat learns very soon they have the rudest prices in town, so I reckon the vast majority of Jomtien expats do not use the store as their primary grocery store, and go into Pattaya instead (or perhaps Tesco). (I also use the Thai produce market on Jomtien 2nd road but that is limited grocery-wise). If they priced like Friendship, which is Thai owned and indeed overall has among the friendliest prices in town, surely they could massively increase their VOLUME as many more expats would use them as their primary local market. Now I am sure Foodmart is making money, but wouldn't they make a lot more money if they had a lot more volume, even with lower markups?

Edited by Jingthing

One thing I don't understand about Foodmart, which I believe is Aussie owned. Why do they price as they do?

You are correct, Australian owner.

Why do they (he) overcharge,

it's simple, mentality, it's let's just rip'em off, If they don't like it they can f#*k off, I have actually heard him say that, and that's no S*#T. Evident why I will never shop there.

Why not use the new MAKRO on sukhumvit, it's really great value, not for everything but in general it's a god sent to Jomtien residence. I guarantee if you select 10 popular items and compare with Foodmart you'll come out 25% cheaper. EG. Breakfast cereal, milk, bread, cooking oil and wines. Still don't understand why they don't supply a simple carry bag though.....

Bye

It is very easy for Jomtien residents to go up to the end of the road to Tesco, BigC and Makro, failing that there is a heap of 7/11's so i dont think a special supermarket for lazy buggers is viable!

It is very easy for Jomtien residents to go up to the end of the road to Tesco, BigC and Makro, failing that there is a heap of 7/11's so i dont think a special supermarket for lazy buggers is viable!

Not so easy for those without transport.

take the baht bus to Carrefour on Pattaya klang. Buy over 1000 baht and they will deliver to Jomtien for free.

Agreed, and its easy to hire transport.

The Thai Market on Soi Watboon is also much better than the market on new second road (Soi 7 Mkt)

The Thai Market on Soi Watboon is also much better than the market on new second road (Soi 7 Mkt)

what is better about it?

what is better about it?

My GF says that the sea food / meat is fresher in Watboon market but buys fruit/veg from the Soi 7 (Rhompo Road) market.

Jomtien needs a petrol station for sure.

I have known all along about the pricing in Foodmart, and since reading the report above about the owners "alleged" attitude to customers I am loathe to go there again.

I agree with comments ref MACRO....but you really need a car if you are going to buy in bulk there.

Hopefully some enterprising Thai / Ex-pat with loadsamoney will open a large supermarket on the new 2nd road and sell petrol as well....shame you might have to travel there in a JCB / Tractor to navigate past the muddy hel_l hole of raw sewage at the end of Soi 5 through to Thrappaya ......:(

7-11 is good but VERY limited in what they sell. The question is for people who actually COOK meals. Would you call someone who lives nears Foodland (Pattaya Klang)lazy for liking to shop there? Also, agree, the transport issue is there for the Sukhumwit places.

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, the Aussie owner of our local ripoff grocery certainly has gained himself a bad reputation, hasn't he? But I reckon his trade will always be good for those he does snare, but overall for the wider community he is not being a great community member at all. We need a regular grocery with regular prices. Think of all the fuel wasted just for food shopping trips that could be satisfied with a more normal local grocery.

Edited by Jingthing

As an ex-Jomtien resident I agree with the majority. A supermarket would have been great but in all honesty Foodmart would be fine if the owner wasn't such a greedy b.....d. If Friendship were able to take over the location I think everyone would be happy. Most people don't mind the odd trip to one of the big supermarkets, what they want is somewhere local for the basics where they aren't being ripped off every time.

One thing I don't understand about Foodmart, which I believe is Aussie owned. Why do they price as they do? Any expat learns very soon they have the rudest prices in town, so I reckon the vast majority of Jomtien expats do not use the store as their primary grocery store, and go into Pattaya instead (or perhaps Tesco). (I also use the Thai produce market on Jomtien 2nd road but that is limited grocery-wise). If they priced like Friendship, which is Thai owned and indeed overall has among the friendliest prices in town, surely they could massively increase their VOLUME as many more expats would use them as their primary local market. Now I am sure Foodmart is making money, but wouldn't they make a lot more money if they had a lot more volume, even with lower markups?

It's absurd how much potential business he's losing. I've been living close to Foodmart for over 4 years yet I don't think I've been in there 10 times yet. At one stage I'd gone over 2 years without going there, yet I'll gladly travel 10 km (there and back) to Carrefour and Foodland. I also use Friendship.

Sure, maybe he doesn't mind ripping people off, but you're not ripping anyone off if they're not in there buying.

As an ex-Jomtien resident I agree with the majority. A supermarket would have been great but in all honesty Foodmart would be fine if the owner wasn't such a greedy b.....d. If Friendship were able to take over the location I think everyone would be happy. Most people don't mind the odd trip to one of the big supermarkets, what they want is somewhere local for the basics where they aren't being ripped off every time.

Can you really call him a greedy b....d because he would make a lot more money if he increased turnover by reducing prices and greed is about making money. I think stupid b....d or lazy b....d would be more apt.

I didn't even know that there was a market on Watboon. Where along the road is it located, and is it open every day?

I use Rompho for fruit and veg in small quantities as it's very close to where I live, but Makro is cheaper for most things, and it's cheaper and better than Tesco Lotus, too. Plus it always has potatoes and onions, while Lotus often seems to run out of them by midday.

For meat and fish I like to use a supermarket with refrigeration, as in an open air market you never know how long the chicken or pork or whatever has been sitting there in the tropical heat.

Foodmart is clearly mostly targeting a niche market -- tourists, snowbird long stays, hopelessly non-cheap Charlies, occasional convenience shoppers when there is a problem traveling like the rainy season, elderly who can't travel very far. I am sure he makes money but agree with more work, more volume, he could sell and make a lot more with lower prices. But we can't make him as he's a private owner, and he clearly won't do that, so we DO need a new, normal market for our locality. Yes, I agree the niche approach appears a little lazy, but if I had a cash cow which wasn't too taxing, can't say I would do any different. With COMPETITION of a real market here, now, that would change the whole situation.

Edited by Jingthing

It would ALSO be nice to have a gas station so you don't have to go to Sukhimvit or Theprasit for gas.

There's a restriction on having them in populated / residential areas.

Nonsense. They go where they are most profitable.

>>I didn't even know that there was a market on Watboon. Where along the road is it located, and is it open every day?<<

Its directly opposite the Majestic Condominium ,young man ,or a little further up ( away from the sea) than Park Lane Condos .Its open ever day .

I lived near the fresh market on 2nd road. Went to Foodmart 1 time. Never again. The trip up to Big C, Makro, Tesco, was easy and so much better. If you don't have transport, a local market would be great. For those of us with transport, it really doesn't matter.

But! Now that I live near the Ambassador, I wish they would open something bigger than a Tesco Express near here! But then again, all the other stores are just a short ride away....no big deal...

At one time, wasn't there supposed to be a grocery store (Foodland?) going in to the Jomtiem Complex parking garage structure? A year or so ago, they were busy ripping out railings and things, and then everything stopped. I think that'd be a reasonable place to put a grocery store, no? Heck, it has built-in parking.