Thai Journalists Group Condemns Tasteless Annie Brooks Coverage

webfact

FILM-ANNIE SAGA

Journalists group condemns 'tasteless' coverage

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_5739.jpg

The National Press Council of Thailand yesterday issued a statement cautioning fellow media members over their extensive, sensational coverage of the unsettled fatherhood of the baby born to actress Annie Brooks.

The statement said some practices had violated both her and the baby's rights, along with that of Rattaphum "Film" Tokongsab, who she said fathered the child.

"The entire matter is indeed a personal affair between Annie and Rattaphum, and [sensational coverage] doesn't serve the public in any aspect possible, regardless of the results of any DNA-based paternal check, which could be achieved or never at all," said the statement, which was issued by the NPCT's panel on media ethics.

The statement criticised overexposure by the media to the baby boy born to Annie, through presentation of his face in both broadcast and print media, and publication of his real name, "without regard to the possible impact to his life when he grew up."

The media "somewhat" violated the privacy of other people involved, through publication of home addresses of the families of both Annie and Rattaphum.

The NPCT also praised members of the media who chose to present the issue in angles compassionate to all three people involved, or offered words of wisdom, or ethical values, as a way to educate the youth about the protection of the rights of women and children. They did this through all-around presentation of facts and fair commentary, from academics and experts with knowledge regarding the issue.

The panel reached its conclusion on Tuesday, and said the NPCT should show its stance in defence of both Annie and Rattaphum, as well as the baby boy born to her, and other people involved including both families. It reminded unnamed members of the Thai media of their professional ethics following sensationalism towards the issue, through several reports and tactics the panel considered tasteless.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-09

Wow, I must be out of the loop since I had no idea who Annie Brooks was, let alone Rattaphum "Film" Tokongsab.

Here I am reading about the amazing Dr. Heck and the Japanese chemists Ei-ichi Negishi and Akira Suzuki being awarded the Nobel prize for their research in palladium-catalyzed cross-coupling. It's an improved method for bonding carbon atom, which in turn allowed for lots of innovative therapies to treat cancer and that has probably kept a few TVF members alive. And yet, I was oblivious to Annie and her alleged sperm donor. Gosh. I sure missed out.

It was a sad and tawdry display of journalistic excess.

And hard to miss, unless you were lost in another world

with no access to the general media that played this

well past any sense of good taste.

I wanted to ignore it, but it was ubiquitous.

Wow, I must be out of the loop since I had no idea who Annie Brooks was, let alone Rattaphum "Film" Tokongsab.

Here I am reading about the amazing Dr. Heck and the Japanese chemists Ei-ichi Negishi and Akira Suzuki being awarded the Nobel prize for their research in palladium-catalyzed cross-coupling. It's an improved method for bonding carbon atom, which in turn allowed for lots of innovative therapies to treat cancer and that has probably kept a few TVF members alive. And yet, I was oblivious to Annie and her alleged sperm donor. Gosh. I sure missed out.

:cheesy: +1 greeny

Sorry but i too am also one of the ignorant . Who is Annie Brooks. I have just done a google and the only result is a singer who has a Facebook page with some lyrics and photos. Is it the same Annie Brooks ? Am i missing something important here.??

Just one of those abandoned luk krungs (not saying all are) that was in the entertainment industry meat grinder. Unfortunately for her: father not around, mother pretty much living in a shack, no connections, and nothing other than her once pretty face and body. Thus a prime target for abuse: a toy for those in the industry, both literally and figuratively... meat for the machine.

<_<

I would have thought that any coverage of Annie Brooks would be tasteless.

Film may have thought differently, at least for awhile.

Still the usual hassle with 'wannebees', Thai 'stars', publicity, etc. Better to be ignored, or write yet another Thai soap ;)

Who is this "Annie Brooks"? Sounds like a white woman - is this what has got the Thai media so excited? She doesn't even have a wikipedia entry.

th.wikipedia.org/wiki/แอนนี่_บรู๊ค

She got a wikipedia entry.

Its just the typical gossip about some TV star/fashion model/singer.

You have the same style of "news" also in the west. Its not a only in Thailand thing. like the stories about Brittney pr Paris Hilton or some nipplegates. Trashy style of 'information' that filled newspapers. TV shows or long wikipedia entires but have a value of actually nothing.

No reason to be toffee-nosed and declare in your world only Nobel awardees and the most scientific topics hit the news.

If you smart and not from a ivory-tower you should know that this gossip exist, but ignore it and just carry on.

Who is this "Annie Brooks"? Sounds like a white woman - is this what has got the Thai media so excited? She doesn't even have a wikipedia entry.

th.wikipedia.org/wiki/แอนนี่_บรู๊ค

She got a wikipedia entry.

Its just the typical gossip about some TV star/fashion model/singer.

You have the same style of "news" also in the west. Its not a only in Thailand thing. like the stories about Brittney pr Paris Hilton or some nipplegates. Trashy style of 'information' that filled newspapers. TV shows or long wikipedia entires but have a value of actually nothing.

No reason to be toffee-nosed and declare in your world only Nobel awardees and the most scientific topics hit the news.

If you smart and not from a ivory-tower you should know that this gossip exist, but ignore it and just carry on.

Now tell me, dear SergeiY, why this last paragraph ? The first four made perfectly sense and then ... just being abusive. Why? You should realize that it probably tells more about you than about what you think you try to say.

Edited by rubl

I am with you but I guess she is going to be the new Paris Hilton for Thailand.

I just don't understand how things such as the DNA testing became public if they didn't want it to. I mean, I guess a doctor could have leaked it but I doubt that and doubt they would not have taken precautions to keep this quiet if they wanted it quiet.

Considering I saw her on TV crying about the injustice she and her child had befallen, it is hardly as though she has been a model of discretion in this issue.

If an agent says, "I reckon you should go on national TV and tell your story" and you agree, you should hardly be surprised if the result is less than edifying.

I wonder if newspapers here pay for these type of stories. I doubt it. If they did this would make an News of the World type exclusive in which she would tell her story, shut up, get paid and the cad of a bloke would have to reap the whirlwind of his screw up.

Difference here is that the media own the "stars" so they tell them (other than those at the absolute pinnacle in Thailand)to jump and they say "how high".

Anybody have any links to the gossip stories in English?

I want to play a joke on my Thai wife and get all up to date on this. I now know she has been talking to friends about this now. But I had no idea the story was so big or who were the players.

Edited by jcbangkok

It was a sad and tawdry display of journalistic excess.

And hard to miss, unless you were lost in another world

with no access to the general media that played this

well past any sense of good taste.

I wanted to ignore it, but it was ubiquitous.

Ubiquitous as it was, I managed to ignore it :huh:

Anybody have any links to the gossip stories in English?

I want to play a joke on my Thai wife and get all up to date on this. I now know she has been talking to friends about this now. But I had no idea the story was so big or who were the players.

Don't try to make joke about this if you don't even understand the language.

Edited by cdnvic
flame removed - be nice