Chalong Pier Road

KarenBravo

Sorry, know nothing.

Then why ......... post!

Because the op asked specifically whether people in the dive industry knew something. So i am simply answering the op's question.

Are you always this friendly?

We were talking to the staff in Happy Days a couple of weeks ago and they told us that the row of shop houses was being demolished to make a larger higher row of buildings (4 floors). No mention of road widening.

That's funny, the lady who cooks the roast dinners at Happy Days was the one that told me about the road widening...........

I think its even further down the street, all the way down to the hairdresser and all shop houses will be taken down. Its nothing to do with road widening but the landowners making new buildings. Where new buildings are coming up they will not be as close to the street as they are today so more space outside of buildings.

It has been talks about a hotel in some part of it and also an open bar area like Kata Night Bazaar. Other than that more modern and bigger townhouses for rent.

Talks are that in about 9 months from now demolition will start. Its not road widening as this road has no need for that. The landowners want to use more of the back side of the land. The town houses are really not that good or profitable. Many only 2 stories and very simple. Some rent for 7000-10000 a month. Drainage problems and also that dirty little river in the backside are problems.

I think they want to make the whole area more attractive and profitable. Probably looking to collect rent in the 25-35.000 baht range per month for a unit.

It could be good if a nice hotel was built around See bees or where Happy Days is and also an open bar area and units for rent for various massages restaurants etc. Its a nice area but it could need a face lift as with many other things here.

Edited by Thunderbird4ever

Talks are that in about 9 months from now demolition will start. Its not road widening as this road has no need for that. The landowners want to use more of the back side of the land. The town houses are really not that good or profitable. Only 2 stories and very simple. Drainage problems and also that dirty little river in the backside.

It could be good if a nice hotel was around See bees or Happy Days is and also an open bar area and units for rent for various massages restaurants etc. Its a nice area but it could need a face lift as with many other things here.

Thanks. I agree that the place does need a face-lift.

Sounds like when it's complete, it will be an improvement.

I'm going out on a limb here and predict that these new 4 storey shiny shophouses will be between 6.5-9 mil. At a cost of between 2-2.5 mil, there's good margins in shophouses.........If you have well located land. If not well located, welcome to the land of unoccupied buildings.

They will for sure be + 10 million but more likely more. If 4 storey and my guess is that they will be 15 mill. The 3 storey town house owners that are oposite coconut bar and they all expect to sell around 15 mill. 5 years ago they sold for 5 mill. I dont think that they are worth 15 mill. today. But if this project opposite of them is being built to its best using all the land and these old 3 storey ones will keep a good value for sure.

Good margins I dont know, it will always depend on the price of the land. If one should buy a piece of land in this soi and it would not be cheap.

PS! I dont know if any of them will be for sale or only for rent as today.

Edited by Thunderbird4ever

Did the land change hands, or is it in the same family's land bank that have had it for a long time and got it really cheap? ROI on renting out the units is good, if your land cost is real low.

Most of the shophouses that come up for sale are from recent purchases of land and the developer wanting to flip to get a good ROI. If you pay a lot for land, then an ROI on a shophouse rental isn't that good when you factor in land costs.

I drink in happy days every day so I hear all the gossip..from what ive heard (this isnt new its been on the cards for at least 3 years) the demolition will not affect sea beas. But an old lady owns most of the land on that side of the road. I have heard 2 stories....it will be demolished down passed sunees sauna to On bar. and the other one is it will only go to the corner where easy bar is......new shop houses will be built. There is plenty of room behind all these shop houses and the reason for the road widening is primarily for the big tour buses and dive trucks to be able to get down to the pier. Maybe the plan is to get rid of a few more dingy joints in the future further down the road for easier access too

• 2 weeks later...

LATEST UPDATE

Was talking to the lady in happy days...her name is Daeng

She was talking with the landlady today....The new demolition date is april 2012

I asked her to ask the landlady exactly where the demolition will take place....so she will get back to me

P.S when I showed Daeng Thaivisa forum she was very happy that she got a mention and is famous....so anyone going into happy days please mention that you read about her and her roast dinners in this forum it will make her extremely happy :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I run the coffee shop and bike hire place just next to Easy Bar and the Office near Happy days and my contract is up in March next year - the landlady said after that I can renew it but only on a month by month basis as she doesnt know when the demoliion is starting - I did speak to the lady who owns the hairdressers down the street (where the demolition is starting until Seabees) and the bar next door signed a new lease until 2012 so I am guessing we all have another year at least before we are kicked out!

Does evanson even live in Phuket and know that stevenl is in the industry? I'd say not. I agree with stevenl, kind of abrasive without knowing the facts.

Yes Evanson does live on Phuket and bothering to post nothing to a posed question suggests too much time on sl's hands. Oh wait! I see him on almost every thread on this forum with nothing to say LOL.

Edited by LivinginKata
flame removed

I run the coffee shop and bike hire place just next to Easy Bar and the Office near Happy days and my contract is up in March next year - the landlady said after that I can renew it but only on a month by month basis as she doesnt know when the demoliion is starting - I did speak to the lady who owns the hairdressers down the street (where the demolition is starting until Seabees) and the bar next door signed a new lease until 2012 so I am guessing we all have another year at least before we are kicked out!

Along with all the tarts bars. Oh goodee!

Does evanson even live in Phuket and know that stevenl is in the industry? I'd say not. I agree with stevenl, kind of abrasive without knowing the facts.

Yes Evanson does live on Phuket and bothering to post nothing to a posed question suggests too much time on sl's hands. Oh wait! I see him on almost every thread on this forum with nothing to say LOL.

Ok, again for mr. Evanson only, who seems to have some problems reading:

the op asked this:

Any of our dive industry posters know anything?
So how is that: 'bothering to post nothing to a posed question'? I would say it is answering that specific question.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This subject went a bit cold

Anyone hear any other rumours....ive heard a few

The road will be widened but they are putting a tesco style shopping center there.....also sea bees will be demolished but they are allowed to rebuild.

Ive also heard recently that there will be similar style shopfronts built a few meters back so the road will be wider....the houses behind will be knocked down also.....

Any other juicy rumors???

Does anyone know if this previously pleasant soi leading down to the piers' road widening will bulldoze the relatively newly established embarrassment that are the tarts bars? What an introduction to the, now, cesspit that was once the lovely Chalong Bay.

Edited by krangeek

Does anyone know if this previously pleasant soi leading down to the piers' road widening will bulldoze the relatively newly established embarrassment that are the tarts bars? What an introduction to the, now, cesspit that was once the lovely Chalong Bay.

I heard they are going also.

The one bar and hairdressing salon that were owned by the same family for years changed into 5 bars and were obviously sold off.....the salon moved across the street, smart move considering all thoze tarts will need to still look pretty.

Obviously some very astute falang investors didnt do their homework smile.gif....I also heard Sabai Sabai massage sold for 150k, a bargain considering there is around 8 months before the building is demolished. Plus I imagine the rent is 12k a month....thats a lot of massaging and beer sales to cover the costs.

This subject went a bit cold

Anyone hear any other rumours....ive heard a few

The road will be widened but they are putting a tesco style shopping center there.....also sea bees will be demolished but they are allowed to rebuild.

Ive also heard recently that there will be similar style shopfronts built a few meters back so the road will be wider....the houses behind will be knocked down also.....

Any other juicy rumors???

That's all we need another shopping mall and maybe a few more shophouses.

Give me the bars anyday