Double Citizenship

Can anyone please inform me about the law here in Thailand for double citizenship.

Is it possible for a thailady to keep her Thai citizenship in spite of she is now getting

a swedish citizenship on top of that,.

In Sweden that is not a problem at all. But I have heard different about Thailand.

Can anybody inform me please!!!

Glegolo

Dual citizenship is not a problem, technically Thai nationals are not suppose to hold another nationality but a blind eye is given to it

But if my thailady married to me, living in Sweden since a couple of years, having swedish citizenship, and her old Thai passport is being outdated

Now she wants to go back with me to Thailand and live here,

Doesn´t that means that she maybe has to get Visas here in Thailand like we falangs must get???

Glegolo

Dual citizenship is not a problem, technically Thai nationals are not suppose to hold another nationality but a blind eye is given to it

But if my thailady married to me, living in Sweden since a couple of years, having swedish citizenship, and her old Thai passport is being outdated

Doesn´t that means that she maybe has to get Visas here in Thailand like we falangs must get???

Glegolo

You might have a problem. She should have renewed her Thai passport before it expired.Does she still have a valid Thai I.D.card(But Prachachon)? If so,go to the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate and get advice. Quickly .Generally, adults are ,technically, not allowed to have dual citizenship. Children, yes, they can and do.

My children have dual (age 19 and 16). But my wife has only a Thai passport ,with a permanent resident visa ,as a permanent resident in Australia.But not Australian citizenship. If your wife has only a Swedish passport ,yes she will have to apply for a Thai visa, the same as you.

Glegolo

You might have a problem. She should have renewed her Thai passport before it expired.Does she still have a valid Thai I.D.card(But Prachachon)? If so,go to the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate and get advice. Quickly .Generally, adults are ,technically, not allowed to have dual citizenship. Children, yes, they can and do.

My children have dual (age 19 and 16). But my wife has only a Thai passport ,with a permanent resident visa ,as a permanent resident in Australia.But not Australian citizenship. If your wife has only a Swedish passport ,yes she will have to apply for a Thai visa, the same as you.

Adults are allowed to have dual citizenship. Thailand doesn't specifically have a law 'allowing it'...but it doesn't have a law which allows us to breath, either...but we do both. There used to be a law disallowing it, but this was scrapped in 1992 under the third version of the Thai nationality act. Subsquent ammendments - the last in 2008- to the act have only broadened the scope for people to obtain Thai nationlaity.

I've got both Thai and Australian passports. My mother - in Australia for 40 years, has both and just renewed her Thai passport last week in Melbourne. There is no requirement that a one has to give up Thai citizenship upon taking up their spouses citizenship....nor is their a requirement for a child to 'choose' a citizenship with they turn 20, like so many people mistakenly believe. Unless one actively renounces the citizenship, they keep it.

From the Thai embassy in Canberra:

Q: Whether a person of Thai nationality who has married an alien and has acquired the nationality of his/her spouse, will the Thai spouse lose his/her Thai nationality?

A: The person is still considered a Thai national unless:- He/She desires to renounce Thai nationality by declaring his/her intention to the competent authority. -His/Her Thai nationality is revoked by the Government of the Kingdom of Thailand.

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/info/info_migration.pdf

Also Please show your wife the following Q&A from the Thai embassy in London - which explicitly tells people how to use both nationalities for entering and departing Thailand and as well as the UK and Ireland:

การถือสองสัญชาติและมีหนังสือเดินทาง 2 เล่มคือ หนังสือเดินทางไทย เเละหน้งสือเดินทางของต่างชาติ

คำถาม ในกรณีที่ข้าพเจ้ามีหนังสือเดินทางสองเล่ม คือหนังสือเดินทางไทย เเละหนังสือเดินทางต่างชาติ ข้าพเจ้าจะมีวีธีการใช้อย่างไร?

คำตอบ เมื่อเดินทางเข้าและออก จากสหราชอาณาจักรให้ใช้หนังสือเดินทางของสหราชอาณาจักร หรือเมื่อเดินทางเข้าและออกจากประเทศไอร์แลนด์ให้ใช้หนังสือเดินทางของ ไอร์แลนด์ และเมื่อเดินทางเข้าและออกประเทศไทยก็ให้ใช้หนังสือเดินทางไทยได้ ทั้งนี้ เพื่อที่จะสามารถอยู่อาศัยในประเทศไทยได้ไม่จำกัดระยะเวลา

As you can see, the embassy makes it pretty clear it is allowed by providing a 'how to' guide for using both passports

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/newversion/faq.html#nationality

Glegolo

Before she travels back to Thailand, she'll need to renew her Thai passport at the embassy in Stockholm - this would be the simplest thing.

Nevertheless if she can't, there should be no problem entering Thailand on an expired Thai passport - I have done this in the past myself. When back in Thailand - she can get a new passport then.