Chiangmai Travel Agent- Be Very Wary Of

moetownblues

Here is a bit of info that may help when you buy a ticket from a travel agent. After you purchase the ticket then call the airline on which you are flying and confirm with them that you are booked on the flight. If you're not booked then the agent obviously hasn't paid them and probably ripping you off.

I had this problem with a travel agent here in Bangkok last July. I booked two r/t tickets on Egypt Air to Cairo. A couple of days after I paid the agent I called Egypt Air to make our seat selection and was told we were not booked on the flight! I quickly called the agent. He called back and told me his clerk "forgot" to pay Egypt Air. He sorted it out and all was well but had I not called Egypt Air I too may have been cheated out of the airfare.

That is very good advice. Call the airline promptly to confirm. If people had taken the time to call the airlines to confirm their bookings then many of those "ripped off" would not have been ripped off. At least they would not have discovered their problem at airport check in.

It is a mistake to make assumptions when the exercise of personal responsibility through simple means such as a phone call can easily eliminate the assumption.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a bit of info that may help when you buy a ticket from a travel agent. After you purchase the ticket then call the airline on which you are flying and confirm with them that you are booked on the flight. If you're not booked then the agent obviously hasn't paid them and probably ripping you off.

I had this problem with a travel agent here in Bangkok last July. I booked two r/t tickets on Egypt Air to Cairo. A couple of days after I paid the agent I called Egypt Air to make our seat selection and was told we were not booked on the flight! I quickly called the agent. He called back and told me his clerk "forgot" to pay Egypt Air. He sorted it out and all was well but had I not called Egypt Air I too may have been cheated out of the airfare.

That is very good advice. Call the airline promptly to confirm. If people had taken the time to call the airlines to confirm their bookings then many of those "ripped off" would not have been ripped off. At least they would not have discovered their problem at airport check in.

It is a mistake to make assumptions when the exercise of personal responsibility through simple means such as a phone call can easily eliminate the assumption.

Sound advice

I did precisely that when I booked with a CM agent who had told me she had paid the airline. The Singapore Airlines office rang her and it was paid the next day !!!

It was not the same agent that is being discussed here.

Unless the agent cancels the ticket on your behalf a few days after and pockets the money, of course.

Unless the agent cancels the ticket on your behalf a few days after and pockets the money, of course.

No problem, always buy the cheap non-refundable tickets and the airline will not refund the fee to the agent or to anyone.

The office is closed right now and she's in jail, so for now no worries about Ham Yai Travel (rhyme scheme), which used to be located near the Chiang Mai Gate.

I know that one, isn't it a resort town next to Chaweng on Ko Samui.

The office is closed right now and she's in jail, so for now no worries about Ham Yai Travel (rhyme scheme), which used to be located near the Chiang Mai Gate.

I remember when OP travel ripped me off for a 10K deposit back in 2000. The police gave me the run around and told me that if we recover any money they would contact me to 'discuss' a 'compromise'. I knew what that meant. I was told then the lady who owned the shop was in jail but I saw no evidence to support this. I remember a few months later bumping into the sales staff who took my money. She had a new job in TESCOs. She knew what was going on when I was cheated, therefore I took great delight in announcing to most of the store she was a thief. I never saw her working there again. For those who haven't been here more than 2 minutes, take whatever the police tell you about cases involving money with a red sea dose of salt.

The lady who ran OP Travel was late 30s/early 40s back in 2000, a little tubby, wore glasses, light skinned and short. I'm wondering whether this is the same woman from Mau and/or the one this thread is about.

Edited by Loaded

I remember when OP travel ripped me off for a 10K deposit back in 2000. The police gave me the run around and told me that if we recover any money they would contact me to 'discuss' a 'compromise'. I knew what that meant. I was told then the lady who owned the shop was in jail but I saw no evidence to support this. I remember a few months later bumping into the sales staff who took my money. She had a new job in TESCOs. She knew what was going on when I was cheated, therefore I took great delight in announcing to most of the store she was a thief. I never saw her working there again. For those who haven't been here more than 2 minutes, take whatever the police tell you about cases involving money with a red sea dose of salt.

The lady who ran OP Travel was late 30s/early 40s back in 2000, a little tubby, wore glasses, light skinned and short. I'm wondering whether this is the same woman from Mau and/or the one this thread is about.

Discription is quite good, she also speaks quite good english and did anyone else notice the framed photograph of the thai woman and a farang she keeps near the front desk? The woman is apparently her daughter and farang husband. He is apparently an Aussie but who really knows he could be british, swedish, or german may depend on the customer at the time.

I heard yesterday from someone who is sueing her (and has had some luck on court collection)

that she is currently in jail on another simular charge.

Her family no longer supports her

Her problems are related to gambling

Marcgee

I heard yesterday from someone who is sueing her (and has had some luck on court collection)

that she is currently in jail on another simular charge.

Her family no longer supports her

Her problems are related to gambling

Marcgee

The lady who ripped me off in 2000 had debts from betting on Euro 2000.

I probably won't in future. Better to deal with the airline or a chain like Trailfinders, Expedia etc

We booked seats to Singapore with a local agent as her price was the same as Silk air and I thought she may as well get some commission out of it. She started talking about fuel and currency exchange surcharges but when I reacted the way a Thai would she charged me the same and correct rate

( Like many companies Silkair / Singapore airlines have Thai offices and they use baht that they collect here to pay wages, landing fees etc - no exchange difference! )

Is there one good reason to deal with a travel agent instead of booking on the web? I don't get it.

Me too, I don't understand....the last time I booked a flight or holiday by actually sitting in front of someone was pre-internet days.......is there actually any benefit or reason to use an agent?

Why not use the usual booking systems that are used my millions of people globally eg. Opodo, Expedia, Travelocity, Skyscanner and my favourite Kayak....much more flexible than sitting for hours in an office trying to book a flight and if you want absolute security (not that these sites are not secure) then book directly on the airlines own website!

Why take the risk of handing a load of cash to some stranger?

i think is time those who had been Scam come together and then summit to your embassy about this and then - file a formal complain , cos it seem like this rotten tooth need to be plug .

cos it going to be a soaring problem

i think is time those who had been Scam come together and then summit to your embassy about this and then - file a formal complain , cos it seem like this rotten tooth need to be plug .

cos it going to be a soaring problem

The embassy will tell you it is not within their remit

They are not going to upset their host country , that is not why they are here

caf