Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reset my ECM yesterday on my CBR with the Remus Okami. I was skeptical at first, as I had also heard the the ECM would readjust itself. It has made a big difference. Before the reset it felt as if the the bike might have been running a bit lean at certain points. With the reset, the bike seems much smoother and consistantly powerful throughout the gear and RPM range. I took the bike out to Ratchapruek yesterday to test the top speed, but there was way to much traffic. I'll give it another go this Sunday and let you guys know how it goes.

We also did a reset on my wife's CBR with the Moriwaki slip-on and another bike with the Namban full system, with similar results.

I'll make a video and post it the next time we do an ECM reset. When I get into the shop tomorrow, I'll also list the pages in the CBR service book where it describes how to do it.

Edited by SumetCycle

I reset my ECM yesterday on my CBR with the Remus Okami. I was skeptical at first, as I had also heard the the ECM would readjust itself. It has made a big difference. Before the reset it felt as if the the bike might have been running a bit lean at certain points. With the reset, the bike seems much smoother and consistantly powerful throughout the gear and RPM range. I took the bike out to Ratchapruek yesterday to test the top speed, but there was way to much traffic. I'll give it another go this Sunday and let you guys know how it goes.

We also did a reset on my wife's CBR with the Moriwaki slip-on and another bike with the Namban full system, with similar results.

I'll make a video and post it the next time we do an ECM reset. When I get into the shop tomorrow, I'll also list the pages in the CBR service book where it describes how to do it.

Sounds good. Can one of you confirm if this corrects the lack of mid range power with the Namban exhaust. At the moment I'm considering one of three full system exhausts:

1. Namban

2. Tsukigi

3. DBS (when the full system is ready)

I hate the sound of the bike as it is (especially the rattle at 5-6k revs) and will definitely replace the exhaust for this reason but I don't want to get an exhaust I don't like the sound of or one that reduces performance for when I need it. I'm not too bothered if the build quality is not up to European standards because for a quarter of the price of a slip on I'll just buy a new one every year.

I'm especially interested in any reviews of the Tsukigi because at 4900 Baht I'd be happy to use it temporarily.

I'm especially interested in any reviews of the Tsukigi because at 4900 Baht I'd be happy to use it temporarily.

I've got the Tsukigi at my home and I wil install it soon. I doubt I am qualified to give a good review though.

I've the Namban full system. Looks and sounds great. Really nice deep growl. With the ECU reset it the following compares to stock:

Much more pull upto 5k rpm.

Much less engine braking, so makes for a much smoother ride.

You get the kick of acceleration at around 7500-8000rpm as opposed to 6000rpm. So the low end is better, the top end is better, but the midrange (6000-7500/8000) is better on the stock, or maybe it's just that the low and top are better causing the midrange to seem better on the stock.

It's so smooth and got so much power in the low end that most of my commute is probably done at around 5000rpm, if you want a burst then downshift and go. It's certainly fun and dramatic. But the stock is probably a (marginally) nicer all round feel, but the namban is more fun. I'm not into vulgar loud pipes but the Namban deep growl is great.

I want to experiment and try the airbox mod with stock pipe and ECU reset to see how it runs like that.

Sounds good. Can one of you confirm if this corrects the lack of mid range power with the Namban exhaust. At the moment I'm considering one of three full system exhausts:

1. Namban

2. Tsukigi

I hate the sound of the bike as it is (especially the rattle at 5-6k revs) and will definitely replace the exhaust for this reason but I don't want to get an exhaust I don't like the sound of or one that reduces performance for when I need it. I'm not too bothered if the build quality is not up to European standards because for a quarter of the price of a slip on I'll just buy a new one every year.

Yes, it seems to have improved midrange power with the ECM reset.

Tsukigi is actually near or dealership. I'm going to try and go there today and see what they have got. I'd be interested to do an install with ECM reset and see how it performs.

By the way, pages 39-41 in the CBR 250 service manual describe how to reset the ECM.

Silly question I am sure but can anyone please explain the difference in a full system and a slip on when it comes to the can/exhaust...

I believe a slip-on attaches to the stock pipe, whereas a full system comes with the exhaust and a new pipe specifically designed for it.

Silly question I am sure but can anyone please explain the difference in a full system and a slip on when it comes to the can/exhaust...

I believe a slip-on attaches to the stock pipe, whereas a full system comes with the exhaust and a new pipe specifically designed for it.

Yeah... dumb as I am I got that one down, but I meant in terms of performance, sound, cost, reliability... Sorry if I did not make myself clear on the question...

Yeah... dumb as I am I got that one down, but I meant in terms of performance, sound, cost, reliability... Sorry if I did not make myself clear on the question...

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Full systems will usually perform better than a slip-on, from what I've heard. As for cost and reliability, I guess it depends on which brand and how well it is built. I'm not sure about the effect on sound though.

1. Namban

2. Tsukigi

Tsukigi is actually near or dealership. I'm going to try and go there today and see what they have got. I'd be interested to do an install with ECM reset and see how it performs.

By the way, pages 39-41 in the CBR 250 service manual describe how to reset the ECM.

Have an English version of the CBR 250 service manual? Or a link to one?

My understanding of the general difference between a slip on and a full system(let's assume it's made by the same manufacturer) is that while the slip on might look good, sound good and be lighter than stock it won't achieve anywhere near the same performance increase as changing the whole pipe. From memory most of the European slip ons available show dynos of the full system and I know from reading the comments on the DBS website that he hasn't put a new slip on for the cbr 250 up for sale as it didn't increase horsepower at all.

I was thinking earlier today that when I finally get around to getting the 250, most of the modifications and changes will have already been tried and tested to see how they are, which means I can place can order with Brian, with a list of all the changes I want, pay 50% down and tell him to call me when it's done. lol.

1. Namban

2. Tsukigi

Have an English version of the CBR 250 service manual? Or a link to one?

I don't have an English version, but I'm sure one is out there. One of the other forum members must have a link. I gave the page numbers so you guys could point them out to other dealers if you go in for a reset. Best of luck.

Brian

I was thinking earlier today that when I finally get around to getting the 250, most of the modifications and changes will have already been tried and tested to see how they are, which means I can place can order with Brian, with a list of all the changes I want, pay 50% down and tell him to call me when it's done. lol.

Sounds good to me. Let me know when you are ready.

Brian

Brian

I'm thinking it would be a nice Christmas present for me. Let's see, partial list (so far)

1) New exhaust

2) Pirelli tires

3) New foot pegs

4) Windscreen

5) CBR 150 Tri-Color paint scheme.

6) Xenon projector light

Ok, that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there will be other stuff as well. lol

Brian

I'm thinking it would be a nice Christmas present for me. Let's see, partial list (so far)

1) New exhaust

2) Pirelli tires

3) New foot pegs

4) Windscreen

5) CBR 150 Tri-Color paint scheme.

6) Xenon projector light

Ok, that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there will be other stuff as well. lol

I have no idea as I'm not a mechanic.....but the race version of the engine must have a reworked head to develop the extra power. IE higher compression and re-worked valves/timing etc plus upgraded ECU. (plus new exhaust of course)

Im not suggesting going to that stage (45hp +) but there must be a "road version" of the above either being developed, or available now surely?? Even a modest increase to 30hp would make a huge difference for those looking for more performance and not so worried about economy. There must be a big market for someone that can put an upgraded road "performance package" together.

My understanding of the general difference between a slip on and a full system(let's assume it's made by the same manufacturer) is that while the slip on might look good, sound good and be lighter than stock it won't achieve anywhere near the same performance increase as changing the whole pipe. From memory most of the European slip ons available show dynos of the full system and I know from reading the comments on the DBS website that he hasn't put a new slip on for the cbr 250 up for sale as it didn't increase horsepower at all.

My 2 cents......

I absolutely agree with your point about minimal power gains from a slip on, this is certianly true in most cases. I would also suggest that the gains from a full system are usually over stated as well. Often the real gains you see when bike dyno's are compared to stock have little to do with the new exhaust system itself even with a full system. Many bikes are rejetted (old school - carbs) or re-mapped (newschool - EFI) to change the fuel delivery at the same time that the new pipe is installed. You NEVER see anyone remap the FI system with a stock pipe and dyno the bike, and then put on the new exhaust system and then re-dyno it. I think this is because no one wants to show that the majority of the power gains are due to the remapping and not the new pipe. Stock bikes now have to meet very strict emision standards and that means the fuel injection system is not mapped for full power from the factory. Note remapping is not the same as a simple ECU reset because when the ECU resets it will try to go back to the same fuel/air ratios as before just updated for any changes to the airflow.

The gains on re-piping a stock 250cc single should be pretty minimal since there is only the one header so there are no gains to be made on smothing the flow where multiple headers would meet. The only other real area where you might make gains would be if there were sharp bends or sudden changes in diameter and honda is unlikely to have designed a system with those elements in it. My guess is that the stock system has the same or a higher diameter than the exhast ourt outlet on the cylinder head anyhow so upping diameter wont have that much impact and can actually cause problems if it is not matched properly to the exhaust outlet port on the head. You can actually reduce low end torque if you have too little back pressure. Granted the very expensive top of the line full systems will have some benifits because of their advanced design and manufactoring processes that result in very smooth airflows but your typical low end systems wont do so.

I think I might try find more gains on the inlet side of the engine. Either that or wait to see what kind of big bore kits become available or a racing cam with more agressive valve opening angles, or bump the compression. Granted those types of mods will often reduce engine life, require octane additives and make the bike less "streetable".

I really like the CBR 250 and I think it is an excellent little all-rounder but it is not a "real" sportbike. I am planning on getting a CBR250 in a few months and when I doubt I will bother with trying to make any additional power out of the engine (unless a really good big bore kit becomes available). The only mod I might make on power is to change sprockets to gear it lower (which really does nothing to the engine power anyhow).

Personally if I figure if you want to accessorize your bike for your own pleasure go for it and have fun. On the other hand, if you want to make real power, you need a different engine configuration (not a single) and more displacement. If you want true sportbike perofrmance it will be more bang for your buck to just buy a 600cc supersport bike like the CBR600RR or if you don't have the money for that, buy a used VFR400 or CBR400.

Mods I'd like to do on CBR 250 in order....

1) Tires (no brainer)

2) Cosmetic (tank protector, change the silver plastic bits to black stock look too plasticy, maybe a new windscreen, paint the plastic tailpipe guard black)

3) Comfort/convenience/practicle (grips, removable rack/box, seat, rearsets, framesliders, lights, mirrors, bar ends, tank bag, floor stand)

4) Sprockets and chain (as a fat bastard I need all the low end grunt I can get)

5) Slip-on (not obnoxiously loud)

6) Cleanable/reuseable high flow air filter (perhaps mod the airbox too)

thats my list but to each their own.

Sorry got carried away, post is stupid long....

Edited by Dakling

Dakling's post also made a lot of sense to me.

+2

.. and waiting a while to see what tuning parts get developed also makes sense, especially with them being raced in the Moto 3 production classes over here.

Edited by jackjones

Dakling

I'm aware of the minimal benefits of a full system on such a bike too. I think I read somewhere on the DBS site that some of the local slip ons would gain maybe 1-2 hp and the full sytems he usually makes aim for a 5-6hp gain. I couldn't find that though so I may have misremembered.

To be honest I have no problems with the performance of the bike, just the sound, look and size of the current exhaust. If the European slip ons were a third of the price I probably would just buy one but I figure if I'm going to spend money I might as well get a local full system as it might have added benefits.

I definitely think a decent air filter (and perhaps modding the box) would make the intake sound a little nicer.

p.s. Brian, it's "taking the piss" not "taking a piss". If this thread were about taking a piss though I think we could agree that some of the posters do it sitting down.

Edited by withnail

Ok, no more British slang from me.

Perhaps when typing "taking a piss" your mind drifted off to some of the futile or purposeless discussions waged on this site, namely the green maggot v cbr debates

People shouldn't discourage you from developing your linguistic skills as to be fair your English isn't exaclty pants is it :cheesy: