Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone crash test their CBR250 yet? Well, I had one of the first CBR250s in Thailand, and likely crashed one of the first CBR250s in Thailand also :D

I was heading down a long straight road with my wife on pillion. I was doing about 70kph in the left lane, when a scooter/metal sidecar rig that had been stopped on the shoulder yanked his bike right and goosed it to make the U-Turn lane in the far right lane. So all of a sudden there is a sidecar perpendicular to me, in my lane, about ten meters ahead. Grabbed brakes and clutch but I knew we were going to hit. I was amazed by the crunching noise and the force of impact. The CBR laid down on its right side, pinning my leg underneath, my right palm dragging the asphalt.

I must have slowed down a bit (hitting the sidecar trimmed some speed, at any rate) because we only slid about six or eight meters. My knee got pretty well busted up while pinned beneath the bike, but nothing was broken. My right boot and deerskin glove were pretty abraded but didn't wear through. Jeans (heavy Levis selvedge) suffered a small hole and some abrasion on the ass. Wife managed to somehow stay on top of the bike as it slid - she had zero road rash. A bunch of bruises on her leg, and a perfect oil imprint of the drive chain on her pants, and that's all.

The CBR was rather scuffed up, to say the least, but it fired right up first try (after the dust settled, naturally). The shifter was bent over and interfering with the linkage, but a quick pry with a screwdriver made short work of that. The left fairing was shattered at the point of impact, the right rashed where it slid. The exhaust cover was a bit of a mess, but apparently made of metal... ritzy!

The sidecar rig was in several pieces. Scooter, sidecar cage, and third wheel/axle all went their separate ways. The axle embedded itself in the nearest convenient Toyota.

Total damage:

- 6k Baht for the Toyota grill (I call BS, but that was the insurance guy's appraisal), split by myself and scooter driver at the insistence of the BiB

- 9k Baht for new plastics and sundries on the CBR

- A week of limping around while my knee heals

- a 400B fine from the BiB ("Be more careful!")

Lessons learned? Bikes are WAAAAY cheaper to fix here than in the US. Wearing gloves is smart. Also, Thai drivers generally suck.

Crash p0rn:

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

Kinda looks cool without the fairings, no?

IMG_0442.jpg

Nikster approves B)

I test rode a Cbr250 ABS this afternoon, Just 79km's but that was one and two up.

Ok. I found it a very comfortable seating position, the bars and levers would need adjusting for best comfort (slight cramp in clutch hand).

I found that the bike DOES have some thumper vibration but it is not bad. Through the bar and tank.

The bike i tested had 0 km's when i got it and when i took it back it felt more responsive and powerful, So i think it will loosen up nicely.

The ABS and linked brakes are outstanding. You do not really know they are there and working it just slows down. I felt the ABS once or twice.

(i did not try a super high speed demo brake as it was not my bike, And the dealer let me demo as a favour to my GF's sister)

one up (110kilo) i saw 139kmh on the clock, 2 up (155kilo) it got 132kmh.

It could have done more but it was a new bike. So i wasn't maxing it out.

And to explain from 90 - 130 it is actually impressive acceleration. Then 130 on it slowly creeps up. its fast for what it is. And these speeds are what the majority of Cbr250 riders are going to be riding at.

I have to say it does feel like the speedo is fairly accurate.

The fairing screen is to short/ flat so i would also want to replace that.

(i believe 118bike are working on a double bubble and touring screen)

It was also comfortable with a passenger which surprised me. The GF also said it was ok, but she would like a topbox to lean against (old bike has one)

All told i like it. I think i would want to put a pipe on it so it sounds better, It sounds ok but just not good. it's not as bad as the standard Ninja250 (sewing machine sound)

I also think the pipe may open up the top end a little as well,here's hoping anyway.

I am going to buy one just not sure exactly when :D . As i think it will do what i want it to. eg:

Be a low cost/ light weight reliable commuter, touring bike. Cruising around 100-130km'h

But still capable of making you smile if ya get on some decent twisty roads.

...........................................................................................

Total damage:

- 6k Baht for the Toyota grill (I call BS, but that was the insurance guy's appraisal), split by myself and scooter driver at the insistence of the BiB

Nice report and thanks, but mate, you didn't pay a penny of that did you? You have no responsibility in this this accident. A vehicle pulling out in front of you to u-turn across your lane. In an accident like this you immediately declare some sort of lawsuit against the other party to show you're:

a.) not accepting responsibility.

b.) not some schmuck who'll be happy to be done without lube.

Whether you go through with it doesn't matter.

The 400b fine was simply pulling the piss.

one up (110kilo) i saw 139kmh on the clock, 2 up (155kilo) it got 132kmh.

It could have done more but it was a new bike. So i wasn't maxing it out.

Thanks for the report, many of us have 1000s of kms on ours already and if you're interested in top speed many have posted how fast they've taken it.

Believe the fastest poster on here took it to 156.

Many believe the pipe is highly restrictive. K-Speed offer a complete repadding for 2,500b which offers a 'more aggressive sound', and dubious claim of '20% better acceleration'.

Toby...CONGRATULATIONS!

Now I don't feel like such an idiot. lol. Bought my 150 tri-color on a Monday, crashed it the following Monday when my wife, on her Scoopy, first decided to speed up to make the light, then decided she wouldn't and hit the brakes. I tried to swerve to the right, only to send my left fist and clutch handle through the fiberglass top box on the back of her Scoopy. Was only doing about 35-40 kph when it happened. Bike went down but I was able to jump free, but glad I was wearing racing (padded) jacket, gloves and REAL helmet, as they all did their jobs. Got it upright and out of the way of oncoming traffic and into Louis Silverware parking lot. Wife brought me home on Scoopy and called Honda. They were there within an hour to pick it up for repairs. Wife told them to just replace the broken clutch lever and fix the shifter, which was bent in. Eleven days later they called and said the bike was ready. When we went to get it they had replaced EVERYTHING that had even the smallest scratch on it. Total cost was 4,000 baht, but when wife said they had not done what she told them, one of the guys (my regular mechanic there), immediately cut the price in half. So, 2,000 baht for new red headlight cover, one new faring and decals, new cover on muffler and new clutch lever and cable.

So, you and I now hold the somewhat dubious records for being the first to "crash test" our respective models.

Glad you and misses are safe and not hurt. As I've told my wife and adopted son, I can buy new helmets, I can buy new motorbikes, but can't buy a new son, so drive careful and with proper gear. When my wife questioned why I said I could buy a new son, but didn't say anything about a new wife, I just smiled and told her "Honey, this is Thailand, I can buy all the wives I want if I so desire." She smiled back and said: "Not until I'm dead, or you will be."

We have an understanding. lol

Total damage:

Nice report and thanks, but mate, you didn't pay a penny of that did you? You have no responsibility in this this accident. A vehicle pulling out in front of you to u-turn across your lane. In an accident like this you immediately declare some sort of lawsuit against the other party to show you're:

a.) not accepting responsibility.

b.) not some schmuck who'll be happy to be done without lube.

Whether you go through with it doesn't matter.

The 400b fine was simply pulling the piss.

Thanks for the support, Appropriate, but IMHO there are times to be a hardass and times not to. The driver of the sidecar did something stupid, yes. But he also was very obviously poor, and likely couldn't afford to fix his own scoot, let alone the 3k for the Toyota or the 9k for my CBR.

I, on the other hand, am lucky enough that I can shoulder a 12k baht mishap with zero hardship or missed meals. The BiB officer appeared to know that it was the old man's fault, but declared 50-50 responsibility for the accident as a concession to the very real economic inequity. I could of course see this as "being done without lube", but instead I view it as a rather refreshing break from the western tendency to put rigid adherence to law above the concerns of the individual. The old man will scrimp and save, maybe borrow some money, and still be worrying about paying this all off months from now. I'll take my 12k slap on the wrist, thank Yoda that no one was hurt, and carry on with my life, sans legal entanglements. Not to mention take this as a lesson to pay even better attention in the future (and shop around for some real insurance ;)

Now then, how nice does the ass on his look?

2_211_72902e0bba8759a.jpg

K-Speed had a nice rear plate holder on their bike yesterday. LED indicators and numberplate holder that fits on right underneath the rear light, getting rid of all that plastic. On sale next month for 1000 thb.

Looks like the one in the pic doesn't even have a rear light. Am sure at some stage something like this will be made with a set of LED rear light and indicators and plate holder. Now that would be sexy. Always said that only nicer thing about the ninja is it's ass... that certainly would be upstaged if a set like this became available.

This picture looks photoshoped.... About the tail plate i planned to get the ER6N tiny tail which is offered on several boards and make it fit to the cbr but if they gonna have one for it thats great, cause that plastic is a little too much. Well lets see how much they make me spend on the Bike Show tomorrow.

Toby good you mad it without any serious damage/ injures. But yes the bike looks quite fine without the clothes, would love to make it naked. But wasn't planned to keep long but well maybe my mind will change :D BTW now around 450kms on the clock, loving it. Anybody recognized a "clicking" sound in 1st to 3rd gear at like 5-6 rpm?

Now then, how nice does the ass on his look?

2_211_72902e0bba8759a.jpg

This picture looks photoshoped....

Jesus mate, I should certainly hope so. If not they've created a phantom floating bike. :D

BTW I just fully checked the rear and those side panels (actually just one panel that does both sides) will come off as one. The underneath is a separate section so there's not very much needed to create the look above. Just a small bit of plastic which will also house the rear light, indicators and plate.

Theres a streetfightered cbr150 photoblogged on mocyc.com

Not bad actually.. Makes me wonder if the 250 could look half decent..

Your streetfighting 250 sir.

9_1418_98c9f3b1b09bd48.jpg

9_1418_204523b6733ce4c.jpg

Hummmm, looks like something out of the old Mel Gibson "Road Warrior" movies. lol

But I like it!

I think he would need to drop the front about 2" for that to look right. And of course, some nice beefy inverted forks would help too!

Yes, and about that muffler with a naked (mostly) bike....

But this treatment will not be popular, and for why? Shows easily to all that it is a single.:huh:

Anyone found oil filters yet?

Honda told me that only main (not sub) dealers have them....

Any luck in bkk?

Your dealer is messing you around. I order over 10k Baht of Honda spares every month from a small shop that never has much stock, they simply order my parts from BKK. As an example, Honda Sonic brake master cylinder ordered and in my hand 3 days later.

Any luck in bkk?

Your dealer is messing you around. I order over 10k Baht of Honda spares every month from a small shop that never has much stock, they simply order my parts from BKK. As an example, Honda Sonic brake master cylinder ordered and in my hand 3 days later.

So you have replaced the filter on your CBR then...

Any luck in bkk?

No, I dont have one. The point I'm making is that any Honda dealer can order any part for your bike, if they can be bothered.

Any luck in bkk?

No, I dont have one. The point I'm making is that any Honda dealer can order any part for your bike, if they can be bothered.

That is my experience over the years hence the question...

Someones pulling my chain then...

post-70604-0-74000000-1296356588_thumb.jpg

This rear will be available from K-Speed next month. 1000b.

Personally I don't think it's that nice. All that rear black plastic isn't needed. there's a separate underside piece so the whole entire lot can come off, not just the bit they've removed.

Pretty much all that's needed then is similar to the piece they have, just with a rear light added. the bike will end with the spiked orange fairing under the pillion seat, with the 2 hand rails sticking out of the back.

I think he would need to drop the front about 2" for that to look right. And of course, some nice beefy inverted forks would help too!

Yes, and about that muffler with a naked (mostly) bike....

But this treatment will not be popular, and for why? Shows easily to all that it is a single.:huh:

I think this picture was just to illustrate one step in the whole process: CBR 250 BY X-SPEED

Although a lot of things this guy has done to his bike are clearly not my cup of tea, I do like the the trimmed fairings: CBR250 joycle

I have seen the Kittisak/Kspeed rearsets and the Moth rearsets.

Personally IF i was going to buy i would pay the extra for the Moth ones... Much more heavy duty/robust.. Saying that there are going to be many more available soon.

It's a bit weird answering my own reply. But there is a reason. While i was at the Bangkok bike show i thought i would check the rearsets on offer. I did a very simple test for torsional force by grabbing the rearset peg and putting weight on it twisting it here and there.

I have to conclude the following. points from 1-10 (based on the units on the show bikes)

Nui Racing = 10 approx 4,000b. they had unpolished cheaper.

Moth/Club 517 = 9 (not adjustable) 4,900b

Honda = 8 ?????????

Rsv racing = 8 approx 4,000b

K- Speed = 4 (maybe if they had actually tightened them up and used lock tight they MAY have been better. But not by much) ?????

These are JUST my ideas to give you all an idea, up to you what you buy.

Archived