The New Skytrain

WilliamCave

Codename has for a long time been more about hope that accuracy as you'll see if you peruse the history of that thread. Much of those dates bear little resemblance to reality...

For example;

1) Purple Line - there is no way the Purple Line in opening in Dec 2015. The BMCL stated again yesterday that Aug 2016 is their planned opening date even though a late 2nd quarter 2016 date might be possible.

2) Pink, Yellow and Orange lines - no one can really say when they will be operational until the lines are contracted and construction eventually starts.

In fact, ignore all dates for lines not currently under construction.

• Like 1

This rail rainbow of colors naming scheme is making me a bit color blind.

Amid all of this, which is the elevated rail line that's already well under construction along the old Hopewell route heading from the Mochit area up toward Don Mueang Airport???

Presumably it's not the Phaya Thai-Don Mueang Airport Rail Link extension listed above as preparing for Cabinet approval.

This rail rainbow of colors naming scheme is making me a bit color blind.

Amid all of this, which is the elevated rail line that's already well under construction along the old Hopewell route heading from the Mochit area up toward Don Mueang Airport???

Presumably it's not the Phaya Thai-Don Mueang Airport Rail Link extension listed above as preparing for Cabinet approval.

it's the Red Line, Bangsue - Rangsit section, slated to open in 2018.

Codename has for a long time been more about hope that accuracy as you'll see if you peruse the history of that thread. Much of those dates bear little resemblance to reality...

Just trying to keep the thread alive

If someone could inject some life and sense into the group planning (or not planning) all these rail lines and extensions to get some sort of common policy enacted, all (particularly us plebs who actually have to build the stuff) would be infinitely happy.

Case in point, the Red Line (a commuter railway) will be metre gauge with 25kV overhead traction.

Copy/pasted from another web forum, SSC, that we are not allowed to link to. Credit given to Codename_B

BTS Light Green line extension - Mo Chit - Ku Kot - (18.4 km) - Construction 1st of June - Operational in February 2019

Did that start as planned?

Also, what's the situation with the Airport Link (existing route) and the carriage maintenance? There were a few posts about this a while back. Is the required maintenance ongoing and is there an expected completion date? Will the Express service be resumed at some point? And any news on whether or not new rolling stock will be ordered, ideally with 4 (or more) carriages?

Anyone know the deal with the Pinklao extension? At least I think it's an extension, yeah?

The MRT blue line extension? What about it? It's being worked on and should be open in approx 5 years.

Anyone know the deal with the Pinklao extension? At least I think it's an extension, yeah?

The MRT blue line extension? What about it? It's being worked on and should be open in approx 5 years.

Just moved out here so was wondering when the estimated completion was. It's an MRT extension? I thought it was BTS?

Just moved out here so was wondering when the estimated completion was. It's an MRT extension? I thought it was BTS?

I'm not too familiar with that part of town, but the blue line extension has two stations, Bang Yi Khan and Bang Khun Non, that are somewhat in the Pinklao area. The MRT orange line also runs somewhat near that area but they haven't started construction on that.

Again, please excuse my ignorance of the Pinklao area of town. I know nothing about it.

Blue line is definately MRT.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If someone could inject some life and sense into the group planning (or not planning) all these rail lines and extensions to get some sort of common policy enacted, all (particularly us plebs who actually have to build the stuff) would be infinitely happy.

Case in point, the Red Line (a commuter railway) will be metre gauge with 25kV overhead traction.

See post #104 on this issue, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/406991-the-new-skytrain/page-5

I've been criticising the SRT suburban plans for years, complete lack of integrated planning!

It appears that you are referring to the MRT Blue Line ext. Civil Works are about 63% done. It was slated for a mid 2016 opening which was pushed back to 2017 and more recently 2018. This will come forward again and I think that we are realistically looking at a mid to late 2017 opening. The tunnels under the river will be completed by the end of this year and almost all civil works will be finished by the end of 2016.

The Orange Line will also terminate near you but this will be lucky to be tendered by the end of this year. Previously it was due to be tendered by the end of 2013, then end of 2014......forget about speculating on a completion date.

You'll also have the SRT Light Red suburban spur line to Thonburi station. This should really be converted back to the original Orange Line as was the original plan.

• Like 1

Copy/pasted from another web forum, SSC, that we are not allowed to link to. Credit given to Codename_B

BTS Light Green line extension - Mo Chit - Ku Kot - (18.4 km) - Construction 1st of June - Operational in February 2019

Did that start as planned?

No and it generally won't for at least 2-3 months apart from some preliminary site works.

There are two big issues. The MRTA wants the BMA to take over the project (as they do with the Samut Prakhan ext) but the BMA doesn't want to pay the cost, they say that the Central Govt should.

Secondly, the demolition of the Kaset overpass in order to build the BTS viaduct is lacking coordination between agencies. The BMA and Rural Hwy Dept says that a new overpass should be built even though the MRTA has insisted that the BMA stick to the previously agreement to build a tunnel. A resolution is expected by Sept.

Basically, both issues are indicative of the lack of integrated planning for these projects.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Could someone tell me what is happening with the Pink line? An alleged monorail going along Chaeng Wattana? It says on the map that bidding occured last year. Our house is on that road but no one has told me anything about it. I'm all for it but shudder to think what the traffic will be like whilst its being built.

In reply ... It's going to start at the beginning and stop at the end, a few stations along the way, if someone remembers to build them in. No forward planning should be expected other than the backhanders to oil the train wheels. TiT .. What else would you expect.

Re: Mor Chit - Lam Luk Ka extension. My wife tells me she's seen surveyors working around Pahonyothin Rd near Bangkok Gate area (Up near Don Mueang Airport) . I thought the start date had been delayed for this section. I know there is a station planned for this area, and I believe the line will cross Pahonyothin Rd at the spot where they are working.

Here near Bangyai they finally given the roads back to cars and my travel is quite fast again. I can't see how the BTS is ever going to take on cars / bikes and vans on this route now that the trouble they created themselves is gone. Only during the most busy part of the day could the BTS win.

But I am happy that the roads are better now again, only problem could be taxi's that will clog up the BTS stations and slow down normal travel for cars again once its running. But right now I am happy with all the roads returned to their original state before the BTS made a mess of it.

It is good to hear that you are happy again.

A couple of reminders. The Purple Line is not a BTS line. It is an MRTA line and the operator of the subway has won the concession to run the line. The mess as you put it, was made by contractors.

Eventually, it will have elevated and underground sections and intersect with 6 other metro lines. One needs to see the bigger, longer term picture. In years to come everyone living along this line will be very happy that they have the metro option.

Sorry for commenting on an old post but am interested in this.

I'm living close to purple in Bang Rak Yai.

You say that eventualy it will be good, what time perspective do you have on that?

I have some problems understanding the wisdom behind purple line.

Say 2 people living in a MooBan in Bang Yai want to go shoppig at MBK or thereabouts:

1 motocy raap jan to purple station, maybe 2*20 baht

2 purple to Tao Pun, baht? 40-50?

3 out, new ticket, underground to Sukhumvit, 40-50 baht?

4 out, new ticket, BTS to Siam, 20-30?

5 out, new BTS to National Stadium

fairly time consuming, taxi meter much quicker and for two people I think taxi meter would be cheaper than mrta / bts

I'm all for public transport, but this purple thing from amp. Bang Yai or amp. Bang Bua Thong to MBK/Siam or so does not seem very inviting.

If you wanted to stick to MRT/BTS only, then just take the purple line to Wongwian Yai, then transfer to BTS, and ride up to National Stadium or Siam.

Otherwise, take the purple line to Phan Fa and take a taxi over to MBK.

If you wanted to stick to MRT/BTS only, then just take the purple line to Wongwian Yai, then transfer to BTS, and ride up to National Stadium or Siam.

Otherwise, take the purple line to Phan Fa and take a taxi over to MBK.

But purple goes from Bang Yai (City) to Tao Pun (close to Bang Sue), doesn't go further.

One ticket available from opening (sadly won't do the BTS yet).

Projected opening of PL is 12th August 2016.

And Blue is projected to open?

The short Blue Line extension from Bang Sue to Tau Poon will (theoretically) open at the same time as the Purple Line (12/Aug/16), the civil work is complete but no systems contract let yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Here near Bangyai they finally given the roads back to cars and my travel is quite fast again. I can't see how the BTS is ever going to take on cars / bikes and vans on this route now that the trouble they created themselves is gone. Only during the most busy part of the day could the BTS win.

But I am happy that the roads are better now again, only problem could be taxi's that will clog up the BTS stations and slow down normal travel for cars again once its running. But right now I am happy with all the roads returned to their original state before the BTS made a mess of it.

It is good to hear that you are happy again.

A couple of reminders. The Purple Line is not a BTS line. It is an MRTA line and the operator of the subway has won the concession to run the line. The mess as you put it, was made by contractors.

Eventually, it will have elevated and underground sections and intersect with 6 other metro lines. One needs to see the bigger, longer term picture. In years to come everyone living along this line will be very happy that they have the metro option.

Sorry for commenting on an old post but am interested in this.

I'm living close to purple in Bang Rak Yai.

You say that eventualy it will be good, what time perspective do you have on that?

I have some problems understanding the wisdom behind purple line.

Say 2 people living in a MooBan in Bang Yai want to go shoppig at MBK or thereabouts:

1 motocy raap jan to purple station, maybe 2*20 baht

2 purple to Tao Pun, baht? 40-50?

3 out, new ticket, underground to Sukhumvit, 40-50 baht?

4 out, new ticket, BTS to Siam, 20-30?

5 out, new BTS to National Stadium

fairly time consuming, taxi meter much quicker and for two people I think taxi meter would be cheaper than mrta / bts

I'm all for public transport, but this purple thing from amp. Bang Yai or amp. Bang Bua Thong to MBK/Siam or so does not seem very inviting.

And Ratchapruek rd was not so useful for you up there in Bang Rak Yai until the whole northern part of it was built. Ask anyone who lives on the Thonburi side around Pinklao or Taling Chan how traffic is getting home for the last 10 years, then ask them again once the new Expressway (running alongside the Light Red line) opens up next year.

If we went back 30 years and complained about the expressway system not being useful with only the 1st stage opened it would seem silly now, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_expressway_system . It takes time to build a network, even longer to build an intergrated one in BKK!

Take a look at the planned metro system map back in this thread. When the southern part of the Purple Line is completed in say 5-6 years (??) then you'll have great access many areas of BKK esp once the Blue Line ext opens and a couple of other lines. Yes to go to MBK from your place I probably would not use the Purple Line when a van to Victory and the BTS would do a quicker job.

Public Transport can't be all things for everyone, every trip. The important principle is to have the option and provide the infrastructure in corridors where there is a need and demand. Especially in a poorly planned city like BKK. Given how bad traffic is on Rattana tibet rd I'm sure you'll be very thankful to have the 1st stage of the Purple Line open for use next year. (2.5 years late....!!). Remember, all construction is about 4-7 years behind where it was originally intended to be from a decade ago.

• Like 2

Hi LG, do you know of any update with the Airport Link?

Are some of the carriages still under maintenance? If so when is it expected to be back to full capacity? Has any 4-carriage rolling stock been ordered, and if so what's the timeline for its delivery? Will the Express Line ever open again?!

Recently it seems to be a bit improved. Compared to, say, 8-9 months ago when it was the norm to have to wait for 2 or 3 trains in the morning, now I can normally get on the first train (albeit sometimes with a very tight squeeze). Not sure if that's because they're taking other measures to reduce congestion though.

Thanks!