The New Skytrain

WilliamCave

A similar problem exists for the blue line viaduct passing over the Pinklao/Pata intersection where there are two overpasses (Pinklao rd & Boroom rd above) over Charan Sanitwong rd. It will be built at a height of some 12 storeys.

Silly question, but the trains can't blow over in the wind, right? I can't imagine being squeezed near the door and having a look 12 stories down.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A similar problem exists for the blue line viaduct passing over the Pinklao/Pata intersection where there are two overpasses (Pinklao rd & Boroom rd above) over Charan Sanitwong rd. It will be built at a height of some 12 storeys.

Silly question, but the trains can't blow over in the wind, right? I can't imagine being squeezed near the door and having a look 12 stories down.

A guess that some pax might experience a small degree of vertigo. It will certainly be interesting passing this intersection as you wlll observe traffic below at 4 different levels.

A guess that some pax might experience a small degree of vertigo. It will certainly be interesting passing this intersection as you wlll observe traffic below at 4 different levels.

All of which will be stopped at peak times :)

A few shots of the Purple Line, taken on our site survey just before Christmas.

Purple Line platform at Tao Poon which will be the interchange with the existing Blue Line (MRT)

post-14979-0-58403000-1389351499_thumb.j post-14979-0-25381700-1389351501_thumb.j

This is the Blue Line extension at Tao Poon from the Purple Line platform, gonna be windy. And a view you don't get often, unless you're about to be hit by a train.

post-14979-0-29214700-1389351503_thumb.j post-14979-0-44207400-1389351505_thumb.j

Depot workshop and Operations Control Centre.

post-14979-0-00382100-1389351508_thumb.j post-14979-0-98294000-1389351510_thumb.j

New BTS daily pax record

BTS did a new daily record on Monday with over 900 000 pax which smashed the previous record of 760 000 set just prior to Xmas last year.

BTS currently averages around 650 000 a day (540K ave in 2011, 610K ave in 2012), approaches 700K on busy days. Pax numbers are growing about 10% a year. The BTS is not expected to pass the 1m mark until 2019 based on pax trends and assumed exts/new lines figures.

Use of Skytrain breaks record on first day of Bangkok Shutdown, The Nation, January 14, 2014 6:21 pm

BTS Skytrain witnessed a record number of 905,746 trips on January 13, 2014, the first day of the anti-government campaign, according to company statement.

I'd expect that we'll see similar record pax numbers for the ARL & MRT for Monday though the MRT did state that they didn't get near the 300K that they were expecting. (MRT normally aves 220K on a weekday)

New BTS daily pax record

BTS did a new daily record on Monday with over 900 000 pax which smashed the previous record of 760 000 set just prior to Xmas last year.

BTS currently averages around 650 000 a day (540K ave in 2011, 610K ave in 2012), approaches 700K on busy days. Pax numbers are growing about 10% a year. The BTS is not expected to pass the 1m mark until 2019 based on pax trends and assumed exts/new lines figures.

Use of Skytrain breaks record on first day of Bangkok Shutdown, The Nation, January 14, 2014 6:21 pm

BTS Skytrain witnessed a record number of 905,746 trips on January 13, 2014, the first day of the anti-government campaign, according to company statement.

I'd expect that we'll see similar record pax numbers for the ARL & MRT for Monday though the MRT did state that they didn't get near the 300K that they were expecting. (MRT normally aves 220K on a weekday)

Lakegeneve:

Just out of curiosity, how do you get all the information? Do you work at the BTS?

New BTS daily pax record

Lakegeneve:

Just out of curiosity, how do you get all the information? Do you work at the BTS?

Haha, no.

I certainly don't imagine that I would be able to be critical of the BTSC - as I have been on specific issues - if I worked for them. Not in terms of continual employment anyway.......

All the info is publicly available and obtained from various sources - many linked or referenced through the thread. Info is usually tripled checked given the absence of fact checking in the thai media and the propensity of officials to often make statements that have little reflection of reality. Others on here have their own professional insights and info to offer. Even then, sometimes something can be incorrect so it is important that it is corrected and that is always welcomed.

From my viewpoint that is the beauty of such a thread, we can all offer what we know and build a more complete picture of an issue which is at best, often a fragmented & dysfunctional mystery!

Currently, the Orange Line, the Pink Monorail line, the BTS Mo Chit to Lam Lukka ext and the ARL ext are all either close to or planned to be tendered within the next 6 months. Two of these, the Pink & the Orange were originally planned to be tendered this year. The BMA is also planning to tender the Grey Monorail line next year but their timetable ambitious.

The uncertain future in the event of a change of govt: More delays....?

Given the current political turmoil and the potential either for a house dissolution and/or a change of govt, my fear is that we will again see the the pre tender process being delayed with any new government. Although the MRTA has now advanced a number of lines and the process should be immune from any political changes in government and or ministers the reality is that a change in govt will delay the process given that politicians always seek to leave their own footprint and exert influence on such projects.

In such circumstances even if half of the impending tenders (the Orange Line, the Pink Monorail line, the BTS Mo Chit ext and the ARL ext) actually took place next year we would be doing very well. If the current political tensions continue for some time and start to impact upon expenditure esp in regards to the 2.2 trillion loan bill then we might see significant delays.

On the issue of mass transit, one really does need to have low expectations in the BKK context.

This was written exactly a week before the PM announced the House Dissolution. Already, tender dates for two lines have been pushed back a year mainly due to funding uncertainty.

Already, the MRTA has stated that both the Pink and Orange lines tenders will be pushed back a year due to funding uncertainty and design issues. In the case of the Orange line minor issues relating to residents protests, in the case of the Pink Line MRTA has belatedly realised that they need to resolve the awarding of the rolling stock first for this and the Yellow Line as it will dictate the line design. Some intense lobbying taking place in this respect. (In some respect a further delay on both Pink and Yellow line tenders gives me a faint unrealistic hope that both may be reviewed and changed back to heavy rail).

The MRTA is adamant that the tender for the BTS Dark Green line ext from Mo Chit to Lam Lukka will proceed as scheduled as Cabinet approved it before the dissolution. An April 2014 tender is the timeframe with construction to start in the 4th quarter of 2014.

Transport Min to carry on with BTS green line project, BANGKOK, 16 December 2013 (NNT)

Despite the dissolution of parliament, the Transport Ministry will forge ahead with its long-awaited BTS’ green line extension project connecting Mor Chit, Saphan Mai, and Khu Kot. According to Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt, the green line extension project will be up for auction despite the House dissolution, because the previous cabinet has already approved the implementation of the project.

Further info; http://www.prachachat.net/news_detail.php?newsid=1385610420

For the Airport Line extension which is meant to be a priority project it seems that as the funding was coming from the 2.2 trillion baht law which lapsed due to the dissolution of parliament , we'll have to wait until a new bill is drafted by the next govt.

For the BMA Grey line, they are now talking a more realistic timetable of a 2015 tender and a 2018 opening rather than tender 1st quarter 2014.

In summary, it currently seems for 2014:

BTS Dark Green line (MRTA project), Mo Chit to Lam Lukka ext: Tender April 2014

MRTA Pink and Orange lines : Tender late 2014 (that will be an 18 month delay for the Pink line from mid 2013 for a line which has already been delayed 2 yrs)

SRT ARL ext to DMK: unknown tender date

BMA Grey Line: now 2015

MRTA Yellow LIne: is also due for tender late 2014

I suggested a few weeks ago that if 2 lines were tendered next year in the context of the past delays and the current political uncertainty then we'd be doing well. The Dark Green Ext looks a certainty but a lot can happen on the political front in the next 2-3 months.

I'll update the summary list in mid Jan (normal 6 month update) for what it is worth.

It doesn't really seem worth doing the 6 month Summary List update at the moment. A few opening dates have changed and some future lines now have a different timeframe but my pessimistic update above is the most pertinent recent update.

However, given the uncertainty on the political front and that the election is scheduled in 2 weeks - though I doubt that it will be valid if it does go ahead - it might be best to wait at least until then?

Ah i see that finally they are giving some roads back to the cars. They could do that a bit faster instead of using it like a big storage place overgrown by weeds. At least this has slightly improved the inconvenience of road users. Of course its all for the greater good (or so they say) but its a pain in the ass for a couple of years now.

• 2 weeks later...

The MRTA is adamant that the tender for the BTS Dark Green line ext from Mo Chit to Lam Lukka will proceed as scheduled as Cabinet approved it before the dissolution. An April 2014 tender is the timeframe with construction to start in the 4th quarter of 2014.

The tender documents for the Mo Chit ext are currently being sold so it does look as though this will still be on track for an April awarding of the tenders.

The civil works tenders will be divided into 3 contracts;

Will the Mo Chit extension pass above the express way on Vibhavadi Rangsit road?

Under but not along the Phahonyothin alignment as it obviously can't with the 5 overpasses blocking the way.

The previous plan was to run the viaduct along a soi directly east to Vihavadi-Rangsit rd before the overpass inclines where it pass under the Expressway and then head north on the east side of Vihavadi past St Johns uni then connecting back with Phahonyothin rd. I need to check if that is still the plan.

The main problem is that had the ext been previously built when it was first planned and integrated with the 4 new overpasses across Phahonyothin rd which were built 5-6 years ago it could have actually passed under the Vihavadi rd overpass (and Expressway above) at grade.

Forgive my poor geography, but will the extension from Mo Chit run anywhere near Ratchadipisek/Pahonyothin intersection?

The tender documents for the Mo Chit ext are currently being sold so it does look as though this will still be on track for an April awarding of the tenders.

The civil works tenders will be divided into 3 contracts;

Will the Mo Chit extension pass above the express way on Vibhavadi Rangsit road?

Under but not along the Phahonyothin alignment as it obviously can't with the 5 overpasses blocking the way.

The previous plan was to run the viaduct along a soi directly east to Vihavadi-Rangsit rd before the overpass inclines where it pass under the Expressway and then head north on the east side of Vihavadi past St Johns uni then connecting back with Phahonyothin rd. I need to check if that is still the plan.

The main problem is that had the ext been previously built when it was first planned and integrated with the 4 new overpasses across Phahonyothin rd which were built 5-6 years ago it could have actually passed under the Vihavadi rd overpass (and Expressway above) at grade.

Forgive my poor geography, but will the extension from Mo Chit run anywhere near Ratchadipisek/Pahonyothin intersection?

Indeed it does, straight through along Phahonyothin rd.

You you go back to post #218 and look at the video showing the route, at about 2:30mins it shows you where it passes through this intersection (SCB it just west of the intersection).

• 2 weeks later...

^not sure what that was in realtion to??

Purple Line platform at Tao Poon which will be the interchange with the existing Blue Line (MRT)

attachicon.gifImage00001.jpg attachicon.gifImage00002.jpg

This is the Blue Line extension at Tao Poon from the Purple Line platform, gonna be windy. And a view you don't get often, unless you're about to be hit by a train.

attachicon.gifImage00003.jpg attachicon.gifImage00004.jpg

Yeah, no one really wants to have that view once services start!

One thing Crossy, what is your sense of when the Blue line ext to Tao poon will open. Originally we were looking at later this year when the Purple line was due to open in 2015.

When the Purple Line was then pushed back to a 2016 opening post floods it gave some more time. Now that the Purple Line is reportedly opening in 2017 - though I suspect that may change again - we might be looking at 2016! BMCL have said that they wanted to open the Blue LIne ext to Taopoon well before the Purple line opens.

Obviously, it depends on when the E&S (Hitachi system for the Purple line) are installed but I was wondering if you had a sense of a time frame? Civil works are definitely on schedule being at 82% at the end of Dec even if the depot is a bit behind schedule.

^not sure what that was in realtion to??

attachicon.gifImage00001.jpg attachicon.gifImage00002.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00003.jpg attachicon.gifImage00004.jpg

Yeah, no one really wants to have that view once services start!

One thing Crossy, what is your sense of when the Blue line ext to Tao poon will open. Originally we were looking at later this year when the Purple line was due to open in 2015.

When the Purple Line was then pushed back to a 2016 opening post floods it gave some more time. Now that the Purple Line is reportedly opening in 2017 - though I suspect that may change again - we might be looking at 2016! BMCL have said that they wanted to open the Blue LIne ext to Taopoon well before the Purple line opens.

Obviously, it depends on when the E&S (Hitachi system for the Purple line) are installed but I was wondering if you had a sense of a time frame? Civil works are definitely on schedule being at 82% at the end of Dec even if the depot is a bit behind schedule.

What I dont get is a couple of months flood push a project back 2 years.. and now an other year... I am going nuts with this purple line its really making commuting near my home hell. In the evenings they keep blocking off stuff creating traffic jams almost every day.

All hail public transport.. NOT. ....

And yes in general I am for public transport but not when it is done in such a stupid slow way. I see so many things they can improve bottle necks they could already remove to give traffic a better flow (near Bangyai its an important heavy traffic transport road) Trucks are backed up all the time and just a few easy things could improve it. So I keep on moaning.. because i live real close to it.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Does anyone know what the impact of the Constitution Court's scrapping of the 2 trillion baht borrowing bill will be on the planned extensions and new lines of the Bangkok Mass Transit system? Personally, I'm interested in the aforementioned yellow line monorail from Samrong up to Lad Praow. I'm just wondering how likely this and the other planned projects are to go ahead within the next few years.

Cheers

15P

Hi

Does anyone know what the impact of the Constitution Court's scrapping of the 2 trillion baht borrowing bill will be on the planned extensions and new lines of the Bangkok Mass Transit system? Personally, I'm interested in the aforementioned yellow line monorail from Samrong up to Lad Praow. I'm just wondering how likely this and the other planned projects are to go ahead within the next few years.

Cheers

15P

You need to go back and read through the thread, the update from 23 Dec gives you the answer. However, longer the political impasse lasts expect that to blow out time frames. The courts decision didn't really change the fact that the 2.2 trillion bill had lapsed due to the house dissolution.

Also, take note that the Yellow Line will only be built from Lat Phrao to Hua Mark in Phase 1. Phase 2 to Samrong will occur sometime once Phase 1 is done.

Tao Poon systems (including the AFC which is the critical one for opening as part of the Blue Line) are part of the Purple Line contracts, so sadly I don't see an early opening for Tao Poon station, currently I think we're looking at mid 2016 for everything.

We shall see.

It might be time to do that delayed 6 months update from Jan.....

A year ago it seemed that 2013 would be a seminal year for the expansion of the Bangkok metro system. The expectation was that at least 3 lines would be tendered and the peak glut of metro construction would continue into 2014 with 2 more new lines. A year ago, one would have anticipated that by early 2014 Bangkok would have 7 new lines or exts under construction – most likely with motorists all complaining about construction affected delays!

What a difference a year can make......

1) 2013: Political dysfunction continues to derail mass transit policy implementation
Alas, the last few months of political impasse and struggle had an immediate in delaying the Pink and Orange lines by 1 year – though both were perhaps not as ready as the MRTA had pretended. Belatedly, the MRTA realised that they needed to select the rolling stock for the Pink line, and Yellow Line, prior to the final design and tender.

In relation to the Orange line - a key line given the central east west axis to link all other lines (8 lines in all) that it provides - local community protests regarding the acquisition of land resulted in amended station footprint designs, mostly in relation to parking spaces.

The dissolution of parliament meant that the 2.2 trillion funding bill lapsed and last weeks Const Court ruling drove a clear nail in that funding coffin. Thus, funding for some lines is currently uncertain. However, in the context of the current political struggle that seems meaningless.

It was announced that the BMCL – operating of the Blue Line subway – had won the tender to operate the Purple Line. Soon after, a nearly 2 year delay from the original late 2015 (which then became 2016 after the 2011 floods) to 2017 in opening the line was announced. For the first time in BKK, a Japanese train manufacturer will supply rolling stock after the BMCL contracted them to supply 21 4 car sets for the Purple Line.

The ARL extension from Phaya Thai to DMK via Bang Sue Terminal was a priority according to the Minister in mid 2012 given the need to provide a mass transit link between both airports arising from the two airport policy decision in April of 2012. It was guaranteed to be tendered in 2013 but some redesign & integration issues has subsequently meant that this ext has quietly disappeared of the MOT political priority agenda.

The final 2 stations of the BTS Light Green line to Bang Wah were opened a year later than scheduled on 5 Dec. This meant that the last ext of the Silom line has been completed and gave the long suffering commuters along the Phetkasem corridor a quick semi-direct route into inner Bangkok. However, soon after the BMA announced that they were considering extending this line further north by 7km to Taling Chan thus linking with the SRT Light Red line. That ext is currently under evaluation. (Some informed conjecture that this will be the catalyst for eventually extending it further north and then east to become a large BTS loop line...... let’s see if this extension gets built first).

As with much of the history of mass transit in BKK 2013 was a year of 1 step forward, 3 steps back!

The one glimmer of good news: BTS Mo CHit ext gets tendered!
The only new ext/line that we can be seemingly certain will progress this year is the BTS Dark Green ext from Mo Chit to Lam Lukka with the tender documents released in Jan and a tender due in April.

For those living along the highly congested Phahonyothin corridor this was finally good news. It is worth remembering that the ext was originally envisaged to open by 2008 when the BTS first opened in 1999 (later promised again in the 2005 election). It is the only line to be tendered under this current government.

Every year since 2007, announcements were made that this ext would be tendered the following year. Every year!!! I could posts pages of quotes from politicians and senior decision makers. For those waiting for this ext to get started the wait has literally been painful if you endure Phahonyothin rd on a daily basis.

2) The crystal ball ..... political harmony and gradual expansion?
The Purple and Blue Line construction timetables are well advanced and on time. The delay to 2017 in opening the Purple line is perplexing in some respects and hopefully may change - Crossy who has a much better insight suggests a mid 2016 opening (above post). The BTS Dark Green ext from Bearing is also proceeding on schedule.

The SRT Dark Red line (technically a suburban/commutter line not a metro line) finally started work after a 2 year delay. The demolition of the Hopewell pillars offers both a practical and uniquely symbolic expression of progression. (Even if the demolition is taking longer than scheduled but perhaps that is also a metaphor for BKKs metro construction).

The Purple Line south extension has progressed significantly and is planned to be tendered in 2015 along with the BMA Grey Line if the BMA commits to this line. (And there is an interesting issue as to whether the BMA would select the same rolling stock as the MRTA for the Pink & Yellow lines to ensure some compatibility).

3) The pessimist - don't hold your breath!
The pessimistic view is that the political struggle and policy dysfunction continues for a longer period of time such that the expected 2013 tenders for 3 lines currently delayed to 2014 are further delayed into 2015 or even 2016! Basically, the next phase of lines & exts are delayed for 3-5 years.

The planned 2013 tenders (Pink, Orange & ARL ext) delayed until late 2014 are important to provide integrated links between lines and facilitate geographic expansion to new areas in BKK. This would have consolidated the framework of the Bangkok network by 2019. Thus, any further delay creates a domino consequence where the next batch of lines thereafter are similarly delayed.

2016 should have been a key year with the Purple Line, Blue Line, SRT Dark Red line and BTS Dark Green ext south all opening. Finally, creating a basic network covering much of the geographic area of Bangkok – save for the north east and south west corridors. However, with the Purple Line announced to a delayed 2017 opening and the Dark Red line looking to take longer to build, it may be that only half of the expected openings occur in 2016.

For now, tender timetables are all up in the air for the next batch of 5-6 lines until the political crisis is resolved.

(I won't even mention the next phase of political power struggle which will inevitably result in future delays.......)

Thank you for a great update, Mr. Léman. Do you know if any of these new lines will share ticket system, or, dare I say it... will any of them be connected so that passengers can change lines without passing through ticket gates like in more or less any other large city in this world?

This is only a summary list and obviously subject to change. Plans will change, dates are never met when it comes to mass transit implementation, politics and dysfunction abounds in this policy area especially given the current political impasse.

Note that numbers indicate projects NOT lines and is an attempt to be reflective of stages of expansion. A listing could be a 1.2km ext or a 59km ext!
Feel free to ask any queries but pls don't copy the whole list in your post!

BANGKOK METRO/SUBURBAN NETWORK - SUMMARY LIST

A) RECENTLY OPENED
1) BTS Light Green Line (Silom line) from Talat Phlu (S10) to Bang Wah 2.8km, 2 stations (5 Dec 2013)

B) LINES/EXTS CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION
2) MRTA Blue Line ext from Bang Sue to Taopoon: 1.2km, 1 station
(to open in 2015/6)

3) MRTA Purple Line from Taopoon to Bang Yai: 23km, 16 stations (Opening 2017)
As of Jan 2014 civil works construction were 85% complete. Website: http://www.mrta-purpleline.com

4) MRTA Blue Line ring ext (subway) Bang Khae/Phetkasem rd ext: (Opening late 2016/2017 – civil works progress 46%)
a) Bang Sue - Tha Phra, 13.1 km, 7 elevated stations,
b ) Hua Lamphong - Lak Song, 13.9 km , 7 elevated & 4 underground stations.

5) BTS Dark Green line (Suk Line) Bearing to Paknam ext (MRTA): 12.6km, 7 stations (Work started mid 2012, opens 2016) Website: http://www.mrta-greenline.net/

6) SRT Dark Red Line suburban line from Bang Sue to Rangsit: 26km, 8 stations* (Started March 2013, opens 2016/17).
*SRT Dark Red Line is metre gauge, electric.

7) New Intercity terminal at Bang Sue for all N, NE and S SRT intercity trains, Airport Line extension and both SRT Red Lines. (Construction started May, opening 2017?)

C) LINES CURRENTLY UNDER TENDER
8) BTS Dark Green line (northern ext) (Original completion date was 2008!).
a) Mo Chit to Saphan Mai ext ( MRTA): 11.4km, 11 stations,
B) Saphan Mai to Kukot/Lam Lukka rd: 6.8km, 5 stations .
Tender by April with contracts to be signed in October. Website: http://www.mrta-greenline.net/

D) LINES/EXTS TO BE TENDERED IN 2014?
9) MRTA Orange Line: 36km, 29 stations (22 underground, 7 elevated) - . Phase 1 TCC (current Thai Cultural Center station) to Minburi (tender end of 2014, Open 2019).

10) MRTA Pink Line (monorail): Khae Rai intersection to Miniburi via Pakred, Chaeng Wattana & Ram Inthra

36km, 30 stations. (should be heavy rail). http://www.mrta.co.th/pinkline/index.html

11) MRTA Yellow Line (Monorail): 30.4km, 21 stations. Phase 1 Latphrao to Hua Mark. (was previously heavy rail underground)
http://www.mrta-yellowline.com/

12) Airport Rail Link (ARL) extension from Phayathai to Bangsue to Don Meaung (DMK): 21.8km, 5 stations

E) LINES/EXTS TO BE TENDERED IN 2015?
13) Purple Line ext south. Taopoon to WWY then to Ratburna: 23.6 km. 17 stations (12.6km 10 stations underground, 11km 7 stations elevated)
14) SRT Light Red line extension: Taling Chan to Salaya, 12km, 5 stations *SRT Light Red is metre gauge, diesel.
15) MRTA Grey Monorail Line: 26km, 21 stations. Rama 9 Bridge to Kaset-Nawamin/Ram Inthra. (BMA is completing an EIA) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRT_Grey_Line

F) NEXT BATCH OF LINES/EXTs (2016-2019) - assuming that all goes well in the next 18 months

16) MRTA Yellow Line (Monorail) Phase 2: 30.4km, 21 stations. Phase 2 Hua Mark to Samrong.
17) Orange Line Phase 2, west section: From TCC to Bang Khunnon (Charan Sawitwong rd)
18) SRT Dark Red Line north ext suburban line from Rangsit to Thammasat Uni: 8.5kms, 4 stations (2015-2017)
19) SRT Light Red Line spur line from Taling Chan to Thonburi station (Siraj) – duplicates some of the Orange line so it would more sensible to just extend the Orange line to Taling Chan.
20) BTS Light Green (Silom Line) west: 1-2 station ext west from National Stadium to Krung Kasem rd to link with the future SRT Dark Red Line.
21) Blue Line west ext to Phutthamonthon sai 4: 8km, 4 stations
22) SRT Dark Red Line south ext: 59 km, 22 stations
a) Bang Sue to Hualumphong to Wong Wian Yai, 7 stations
B) WWY to Mahachai, 15 stations

G) THEREAFTER OR UNDER STUDY (2020 >)

23) Brown Monorail Line: 20.5km, 21 stations. Monorail Khae Rai intersection along Ngam Wong Wan, Kaset-Namawin to Beung Kum, Minburi (currently under study by OTP) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRT_Brown_Line
24) BTS Dark Green (Sukhumvit) line south from Paknam to Bang Pu: 4 stations (planned)
25) BTS Light Green (Silom) line from Bang Wah to Taling Chan: 7km, 6 stations (currently being evaluated by the BMA)
26) BTS Dark Green (Sukhumvit) line north ext: from Kukot to Outer Ring rd, 4 stations (planned)
27) MRTA Purple Line north ext : 4.5km ext to Sai Noi intersection (being evaluated by Nonthaburi province).
28) BTS Dark Green (Sukhumvit) spur line from Udom Suk to Central Bang Na & BKK Airport (planned)
29) MRTA Light Blue Line: 9.5km, 9 stations. Monorail. Sathon to Pracha Songkhro. (TBC)

H) More future monorails?
30) Bang Sue Railyard redevelopment monorail loop
31) Makkasan Railyard redevelopment monorail loop
32) Chula Uni Monorail project (was under study but the BMA said no last month)
33) Samut Prakhan monorail line: Paknam to BKK Airport (Under study)

Thank you for a great update, Mr. Léman. Do you know if any of these new lines will share ticket system, or, dare I say it... will any of them be connected so that passengers can change lines without passing through ticket gates like in more or less any other large city in this world?

We can only hope that an integrated common ticketing platform will finally be implemented by late 2015.

Read post #23 for more info, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/707411-bangkok-joint-ticket-system-for-bts-and-mrt-by-late-2015/

We can only hope that an integrated common ticketing platform will finally be implemented by late 2015.

Read post #23 for more info, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/707411-bangkok-joint-ticket-system-for-bts-and-mrt-by-late-2015/

Any lines with paid-side transfers (where you can walk between lines without exiting the system) will have both tokens and smart-cards which work on all lines, this is being implemented as part of the Purple Line works and will definitely happen.

Note that this is NOT the same system as is being discussed in the link provided by LakeGeneve which is a much wider reaching system taking in buses, ferries and road tolls as well as well as the BTS, MRT, BRT and ARL.

• 1 month later...

b ) Saphan Mai to Kukot/Lam Lukka rd: 6.8km, 5 stations .

Tender by April with contracts to be signed in October. Website: http://www.mrta-greenline.net/

The BTS Dark Green line tender was due to be decided by mid April but some of the bidders complained about the restritive requirements for bidders in the TOR. THus, the TOR has been changed and the new bid deadline is 24 May.

Also the Phasi Charoen canal ferry restarted yesterday for trial services (6-10am & 4-8:30pm) after many years of no service. This infamous canal runs off Bangkok Yai running along south of Phetkasem rd. The service runs from Bangkok Yai junction to Phetkasem soi 69 and has stop linked to the Bang Wah BTS station (P4).

1920138_360066397467258_931820911_n.jpgNote that the N on this map is incorrect as it is actually East. The canal runs basically E-W.

The timetable for anyone wishing to give it a try, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=373958739411357&set=p.373958739411357&type=1&theater

The BTS Dark Green line tender was due to be decided by mid April but some of the bidders complained about the restritive requirements for bidders in the TOR. THus, the TOR has been changed and the new bid deadline is 24 May.

24 May which year? ;)

24 May which year? wink.png

2014. As in, a month from now. (source: Yappofloyd)

Tendering for the Blue Line Extension (Tao Poon - Tha Ra) railway systems expected next month (from MRTA).

Civils is well under way, guideway nearly complete.

Expect operation in late 2017.

Archived